Ferris State University Employee Reviews

adjunct faculty
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIJuly 6, 2017
I was part-time. I worked with students on academic probation as a faculty adviser. I also taught study skills classes. To assist students in general I developed a variety of study skills VHS tapes they could view at their leisure.
Great place to learn and work
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIJuly 3, 2017
great place to work and learn. lots of state of the art buildings to learn new things. professors are very helpful, hall resident staff are very helpful.
Exciting environment
Music Industry Management Association (Current Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIJune 22, 2017
In short, we call Music Industry Management Association "MIMA." In MIMA, we created and set up our own shows with actual artists who are currently in the touring industry. We would work closely with financial division through Ferris, and we would work closely with the artists we booked to create a successful show.
Good experience
Contractor Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIJune 21, 2017
I was not employed and I only being this place for a summer program. So I did not interact directly with people in the university so my review should not be considered as a review, but I did not see any issued while working there.
Laid Back but Poorly Managed
Media Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIJune 21, 2017
Working at Media Supply at Ferris State University is extremely laid back and relaxed. You just sit around (work on homework, play games, listen to music) until someone comes in needing help. Typically one person works at a time and occasionally you have to do inventory for certain equipment.

Although the environment is extremely laid back, many things often get overlooked and often other employees tend to not do their job the way they are supposed to. This leads to others needing to pick up the slack or fix other peoples mistakes. Management overlooks these problems rather than fixing them.

You learn and get hands on experience with television equipment and get to use your time to do what you need. The hardest part of the job is working around other employees who do not take the job seriously. The best part would be how relaxed the job is.
Pros
Relaxed, laid-back, hands on experience with equipment
Cons
Poor management, lack of communication, poor co-workers
Enjoyed teaching and brushing up on accounting fundamentals
Accounting Instructor (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIJune 18, 2017
Ferris offered a challenge and a unique opportunity to use my skills
Ferris is a state of the art university; however my position was just a temporary, part-time position
goog
Personnel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIJune 16, 2017
it is a very good place to work at. People are very nice. They are willing to teach you and help you whenever you run into a problem. They are very supportive and open-minded.
Administrative
Administrative Assistant to Professor (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIMay 30, 2017
• Answer and direct phone calls taking detailed messages when necessary
• Return students phone calls providing sufficient answers to questions
• Perform clerical work such as typing documents printing copying faxing etc.
• Prepare students records regarding grades homework etc.
• File confidential and important documents of students
Relaed work place with fun co-workers
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIMay 30, 2017
A typical day at work involved opening the office, creating documents for distribution, filing paperwork, distributing mail to the correct coaches, helped with printer errors, did odd jobs that other employers needed help with, counted money from sporting events and completed respective deposits (transported money to university facilities and to banks)

The hardest part of the job was getting jobs given to me at the last minute, and having to rush to get them done. Also being misinformed about the whereabouts of university staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with!
I learned a lot about teamwork and responsibility.
Pros
Could do homework (for college) if the facility was not busy and work was completed
Cons
Did not get treated very well by coaches and higher management
Great place to grow
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIMay 25, 2017
Typically worked 8-5. Had the opportunity to travel and see many different areas and met some really neat people. working here tough me so much. Good place to work.
Exciting Place to work
Biology Administrator (Current Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIMay 24, 2017
Ferris is an excellent place of employment. The work days are challenging and fulfilling. The management is excellent. The culture has it challenges, but provides a very supportive environment in which to work. The most challenging aspect is changing of paradigms in how they do things.
Hands-on experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIMay 17, 2017
Working in the lab was a great start towards lab experience. Professors are helpful and knowledgable about the techniques that are taught. Working in the lab was flexible.
a pretty good place
Student Custodial (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIApril 28, 2017
I worked for the custodian department when I was a student. They treated us pretty good and provided the tools necessary to get the job done. It was a pretty cool place
Pros
the work was easy
Cons
Welcoming environment to work in
Internship Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIApril 25, 2017
Working at Ferris State University has ups and downs. An up is definitely the welcoming environment. Everyone is friendly. Another up would be, in most positions, if you are done with your work you are allowed to work on homework. A down would be compensation. They try to give you the bare minimum hours and pay, because "the university needs to cut the budget."
Extremely flexible, good for student life
Server (Current Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIApril 25, 2017
Working directly through Ferris State is very simple and easy to get hired and to change your schedule which is the most important part to me since year round my schedule can be chaotic.
Pros
Flexibility
Great Learning Experience.
Machinability Test Technician (Current Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIApril 3, 2017
For a job on campus, it is one of the best in my opinion. Decent wages and being interested in the job means there is no dreading to go back to work the next day. A typical day was show up when I have a break in my schedule and homework and run through the programs and then look at the tool wear under a microscope to measure the wear on the tool. Some of the biggest draw backs of the job were there is only one machine we can use for the testing and when other classes needed to use it, we had to give it up thus needing to set up the machine every time we needed to do testing. The other biggest drawback was between the instructor and I both having very busy schedules, it would be hard for us to meet up to get anything done.
Pros
Very flexible hours.
Cons
Busy schedules make it difficult to find time to work with the instructors.
Decent work experience
Game day operations (Former Employee) –  Cadillac, MIMarch 26, 2017
The job was nice because you were just sorting parts all day, but the management was not very willing to work with you on days off or when you told them you kept finding bad parts and that they need to fix it.
Perfect job for a student
Clerical Worker (Current Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIMarch 23, 2017
I work in the swan building as a clerical worker. My job was mainly to answer the phone and take down messages, but a long with that I would help professors with sorting assignments and other short projects. I would also respond to emails and send out emails as necessary and occasionally would have to run errands (picking up checks and other simple task). There was a lot of downtime and was allowed to work on homework during it. I absolutely love my boss and the positive environment created. Very flexible with schedules and would have no problem with me switching my schedule (even the day of) to make it to school events.
Pros
Flexible hours, Very understanding, free food
Cons
None!
Great University
Full Time Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIMarch 16, 2017
I'm very proud to be a faculty member at Ferris State University in Big Rapids, MI. A great school! A nice and safe community, good restaurants and shopping as well as near a major highway.
Good benefits;upper admin shortfalls
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIMarch 15, 2017
Pay and compensation are good for the area. Upper admin in many areas does not communicate well, advancement opportunities are limited, hiring process is long.
Pros
On campus events, free stuff
Cons
Communication between departments