FHI Employee Reviews

Decent place to work
freight handler (Current Employee) –  Tipp city ohioJuly 28, 2015
would be alot better if they had more people and you didnt have to stay for 12-16 hours. The co-workers and management make it worth staying, but the pay structure is terrible, you can make 25$ a day sometimes or you can make 10$ if you get a bad set of trucks. Work is dependent on the trucks which are drawn at random, could get a 2500 case truck and be able to finish it in 6 hours and make 20$+ an hour or get a bad 1800 case truck where the boxes weigh 40-60lb each and it takes you 10 hours to do the truck.
Pros
Lunches somtimes, coworkers
Cons
Terrible hours, not enough people
Excellent organization to work for
Program Officer I (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 27, 2015
FHI360 is a great place to work and employees are very friendly.
There are new things every day to learn
Management teams are so kind
there is nothing hard
meeting new people
Official response from FHI
February 16, 2016

This review is for a different company. FHI 360.

This page is for FREIGHT HANDLERS/FHI.

Very physical and demanding job
Lumper (Current Employee) –  Dacula, GAJune 7, 2014
this job is very hard on your body and the hours don't always match up to the pay check. we do not get paid hourly wages we get paid per load so sometimes the loads are good and so is the money but most of the time they are not, but money is money.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
long hours, pay, schedule, lunch break, temperature, labor
Very bad place to work at!
Unloader (Former Employee) –  Newport,miAugust 28, 2015
This place is the worse place I have ever worked for. So unorganized, management is so bad, they pick favorite to hand trucks out to so if your not well liked you will have to unload the bad trucks. They also never have the proper equipment to do your job, you don't get paid by the hour so every minute your not working your not getting paid. So have fun searching for equipment while your not getting paid.
Pros
Non
Cons
Not paid by the hour, short on equipment, management
Great job but the way it was ran was terrible
Unloader/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 5, 2013
I loved this job because you really didn't have a boss, basically you would get your paperwork and go do your job, as long as you're fast, safe, and productive thigs were great but the flipside is you cant leave til all the trucks were done, i would go in at 3:30am and i wouldnt leave til 4,4:30-5:00pm and yellow shirts passed out loads which they kept the high paying loads for them self and gave you what they wanted you to have but i loved the job itself, i was great at what i done and publix made me aware of that everyday but by me being good at my job and the turnover ratio was so high i was taken advantage of for being good at what i was doing.
Pros
No pressure from the bosses
Cons
Long hours for such little money
Fun, spirited work environment
Travel Coordinator/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 21, 2012
Management is amazing. My co-workers were all wonderful. The work days are very busy but there is a lot of support and great energy.
Pros
atmosphere, benefits
Cons
salary
Enjoyed Working with FHI mechanics, drivers and staff
BENEFITED MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Fruitland, NMJanuary 20, 2016
FHI was a great place to work and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a craft skilled job. There are 3 shifts of operators. There are mechanics, operators laborers and administrative. All communicated well with each other while I was there.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
frequent lay offs and re hires due to plant shut downs
tops
Unloader (Current Employee) –  Dacula, GAOctober 10, 2015
it was ok working for the time but tops didn't treat there workers right at all they had us as part time workers giving us full time hrs with no days off with no benefits
Back-up lead (Former Employee) –  Acushnet, MANovember 11, 2014
Unloaded trucks, Supervised associates, deal with truck drivers, operated power jacks and handheld.
management is not really set up well, there all over the place and never communicate at all.
co workers are nice but job was an individual work atmosphere
hard par was working in the cold freezer but you get use to it
It's an ok place to work
Freight Handler (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 26, 2014
I really enjoyed most of my co workers, management wasn't all the way together. I enjoyed making good money and being around great people, but the hours weren't what I expected
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad hours
Good People and Good place pay could be better
Freight Handler (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 18, 2015
Good overall team environment nice leaders and workers healthcare is expensive and doesn't pay for everything. Opportunity for advancement and leadership roles.
Worked 9yrs with the company and there was never a pay increase
Unloader (Former Employee) –  Tipp CityOctober 17, 2015
If you work for this company everything is your fault. Unload a truck and run out of space your fault, someone hits you with equipment your fault should have been paying attention. Only good thing about job was traveling to other states and your co workers.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Production pay
fun job to do
lumper (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJune 8, 2012
unloaded trucks, management was fun to be around and actually did work next to you, co workers all got along and laughed, nothig hard, most enjoyable part was going to work
Pros
good pay and fun job
Cons
nothing
Great working place
freight runner/ unloading (Former Employee) –  Prince George, VAAugust 27, 2013
i like the fast paste enviroment
the benefits are great
the people you work with are very fun to work with
Overall it was good experience
Forklift Operator/Freight Handler (Former Employee) –  Dacula, GAAugust 14, 2012
A typical day work was busy greeting customers taking them to their whereabouts around the perimeter to malls , restaurants etc. I learned where a lot of different locations were and short cuts to get the customers to their destinations faster. I got along well with all of my co-workers never had any issues with no one. The afternoon traffic was really tough sometimes. The job was never hard I really enjoyed it. Getting to know different people was nice because they eventually gave good tips and always brought back extra food.
Pros
good tips
Cons
traffic
Unloader
Unloader (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 6, 2014
Unloaded trucks for Meijer money is good but long hours at times
GOOD People to work and great time
Unloader/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 27, 2015
Good People to work but when its slow and the docks are full nothing you can do just wait for the docks to open the space.
its not a hourly rate its per truck and some of us are fast to unload the more trucks the more money you make in a day the faster you work the better thats the game
Pros
weekly bonus
Cons
no specific pay rate not houly labor
very judgemental enviroment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 29, 2013
terrible hours, great pay some days, horrible labor but some times you can get excited if you leave early becausde most days you clock in at 2:15 and leave sometimes 4:30 the next day.
Pros
make good money some days
Cons
never know how long your staying, never know what your going to make, also never know when your going home..
fun
unloader (Current Employee) –  Newport, MIJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day at work requires you to get your work papers and go unload the truck you are picked to do, the people around you are willing to help out if needed. The hardest part of the job is when you receive a larger truck and that may takes a while also if you have a bad machine it takes a bit longer to unload. The most enjoyable part about the job is finishing the truck.
Pros
15 minute breaks
Cons
pay is not hourly
production
Unloader/Loader (Current Employee) –  Dacula, GAJanuary 2, 2013
The hardest part is dealing with getting paid off production and only getting 10% of what the trucks pay. Dealing with favortisim and dealing with the leads getting the best trucks and you only bring home a few dollars every two weeks while they bring home a few thousand.

The co-workers are friendly, considering they are in the same boat as you.
Cons
little pay for a lot of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FHI. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7