Fidelity Investments Employee Reviews

Has a ton of perks, but not for me.
Retirement Product Sales (Current Employee) –  Covington, KYJanuary 16, 2013
Fidelity is a great company to work for, and I enjoy the benefits and culture of the company. I started out going through a ton of training and obtaining my licenses, then was promoted within the first 4 months to the high opportunity team where I would have a greater potential to uncover more assets. From there, I moved to the Boca Raton area because they needed someone at the branch. I LOVED the branch life because I enjoy the face to face conversations I was able to have instead of everything being over the phone. I was a financial representative in the branch, and basically helped with transfer of assets, re-registering accounts, and taking appointments for fundamental guidance. I moved back to the Covington, KY phone site June of 2012 because I was about to have my first child! I was extremely blessed to be able to help people with their retirement needs, as I love to explain this information to others who aren't as educated. I would like to get more back into the financial aspect of things on a whole level, not just limiting it to retirement accounts. I enjoy working with people/companies who are looking for guidance as far as financial needs, future planning, and budget analysis
Great work environment and culture
Staffing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 4, 2015
There's an expectation at Fidelity that you'll put in the time needed to get the job done, and the sense of urgency is huge. It means you have to set your boundaries as stick with them as often as possible. Outside of this, I have nothing but great things to say about working here. You'll find office politics and different management styles everywhere, so I won't focus on that here. They've put a lot of effort into making sure the workplace is aesthetically pleasing, and after working in what feels like a cave at other places, it's great to have plenty of natural light, local art, water features and greenery almost everywhere you look. People are generally friendly. When walking through the halls, everyone is not going to smile and wave, but when you get into small groups or your work area, it's easy to get to know others.
Pros
Free 5th lunch after you buy 4 "Fit Meals" @ around $3.00/each
Cons
Fast-paced environment. Move fast and learn quickly, or you're out.
Hard job, but great people at the company with great benefits and pay.
Defined Contribution Rep. II (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCOctober 14, 2013
Typical day at the job is working on the phone for 8.5 hours with two 15 min breaks and one 30 min lunch break. Job was to answer phone calls from people regarding their 401k's and you basically help with anything they need minus investing guidance.

The hardest part of the job is learning all the information that people will call about and even a year in you will come across things that you do not know about, though you catch on to the every day subjects rather quickly.

The campuses that you work on are great, the one I was at has a parking garage, amazing cafeteria which focuses on healthier options(though it has some unhealthy options for those not interested). It also has a onsite gym which is really nice and only costs $20 a month, also has trails to walk on and basketball/tennis courts.
Pros
great benefits/401k plan, decent wages, a lot of advancement going on.
Cons
talking to customer all day about financial issues can be difficult.
Fast paced and very professional Financial Services company
Assistant to Senior Executive (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2013
I've been with Fidelity for the past 19 years and have enjoyed several different types of roles in this fast paced company. Fidelity encourages internal growth and our leaders want to see you succeed. All of my coworkers are extremely good at what they do, which encourages us to strive to do the best that we can each day. Even though we are working hard, we do take the time to relax and focus on things outside of the office every now and again. Fidelity is big on volunteerism and just recently, our group had the opportunity to help out at a local Boys & Girls club by beautifying their grounds and painting.

Being a fast paced company, I like the fact that the work is always changing and is not at all mundane. Things happen quickly and I need to respond to that. I am given lots of project work and I enjoy being responsible for a project and seeing it through from its inception to completion.
Pros
ability to work independently
Cons
work life balance
Nothing special.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Taylor Mill, KYNovember 5, 2013
All I heard when Fido moved to town was that it was the place to be. The job itself wasn't bad. I was in customer service (the no-license-needed job). I really liked my team. All age groups, all backgrounds, just a fun group. Clean kitchen area on each floor. I did have a problem with having to report a production count on nights when there was very little work. There should've been a special time code. I must have been there during the worst winter too. Several times that season we had those snow emergencies where no one was allowed to be on the expressway. Well my manager went out and picked up people at their homes. It took hours! I felt that this CSR job wasn't worth all that drama. It was a 3rd shift job on a sad $10/hour. Do not plan on sleeping during March or April! You will be working!
Pros
clean work area. free parking.
Cons
pay. short cubicles. too many morale events. hard to use vacation time.
Great place to learn but hard to advance and grow
Senior Manager, Employee Digital Communications (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 11, 2012
Work rotates primarily around your email. Strong project management/build and delivery but bad follow through and maintenance after delivery. Great place to start a career and focus on core competencies though. Very competitive compensation and benefits so it is a good place for starter families. Strong community involvement but not a lot of diversity although this seems to be changing in middle-management positions. Co-workers are (for the most part) supportive and hardworking. Issues arise when looking for development opportunities, professional growth and career advancement. Not necessarily a merit-based environment especially in middle management positions and up. Highly political since most senior leaders have a sense of entitlement due to their seniority, not performance, being the overriding factor ... Lots of "feudal kings and queens". If with the in-crowd politically (as in most places), good things to come.
Pros
great benefits and salary, technology, real estate
Cons
limited growth opportunities, bureaucratic, leadership churn
Experience from both call centers in Utah
High Net Worth Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 19, 2015
A typical day of work was initially logging in to view cases and follow up on the internal email system, followed by inbound phone calls for the next 8-10 hours.
Fidelity was my entry job in the financial industry, and I learned most of what I know about clientele and financial products through exposure to them in this company.
Management was great on the teams, but higher up management had little respect for the managers they led and the workers underneath them.
The hardest part of the job was taking 4-5 hour blocks of phone calls during the busy seasons without a break inbetween. Motivation is important to maintain and mental preparation is worth its weight in gold.
The most enjoyable part of the job was direct recognition and compensation for performance. I received site call of the month and employee MVP rewards during my stay with Fidelity, which helped me maintain focus during long days.
Pros
quarterly bonuses, fitness and electronics reimbursements
A challenging environment
Systems Services & Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Merrimack, NHJune 19, 2015
The environment with Fidelity has been the same challenging. The work day is likely to be extremely busy, which I like. However, the environment can be a hostile environment. It has not been an professional experience to say the least. There is a lot of disrespectful people from senior management right down to the coworkers. I think that is the hardest part of my job is dealing with the professionalism in the work place.
I also feel that it is difficult to move within the company at Fidelity. Most positions in Technology are down in NC or TX and I have not had an interest to move.
Fidelity has been very generous with the compensation and have great benefits. I made use of the tuition reimbursement that the company offers and went back to school to earn a BS in Software Engineering, which I just finished back in February of this year. I have decided to move on from the company and look for a position that I can become more technical and grow with a company.
At Fidelity, there is always change. There is always, new software with learn and procedures. That is what I enjoy most about the company.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Unprofessional work environment. Not easy to move within the company.
Great Advancement
Brokerage Operations Representative II (Former Employee) –  Westlake, TXJanuary 1, 2015
Opportunities for advancement are plentiful if you work hard. Employee appreciation was abundant through employee committee. Great benefits and pay is high for area, however work load is not comparable. Use of Texas Right to work is used to the advantage of managers. Breaks would be removed and mandatory work through lunch was abundant through end of year to end of tax season. Business casual work attire required despite an office atmosphere and call center. Co-workers are consider family as time spent at work is more than you spend with your own family. Micromanagement is used in call center to make sure they know when you are at your desk at all times. Typing out to use the restroom were used to know where all employees were at all times. Kind of felt as being back in elementary school with the principal always near by.
Pros
full cafeteria and coffee shop at campus. small gym on campus as well.
Cons
short or no breaks/lunch. management is lacking in skill and education.
Overall, the company is a productive and fun workplace with ping pong tables and Wi play stations
Stock Broker (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 20, 2014
The work days are usually fairly busy so time tends to go by rather quickly. Interactions vary from a wide range of clientele and, for the most part, makes for interesting conversations. I've learned that top notch customer service is expected and required for the company to achieve desired success. Management is supportive and are constantly looking for ways to improve the client and employee experience. Co-workers as a whole, are usually amicable and supportive. The hardest part of the job is hearing how certain predicaments in life have adversely affected some clients.The most rewarding and enjoyable part of the job is being able to help clients achieve their goals and take care of their needs. Overall, the company is a productive and fun workplace.
Pros
great benefits; advancement opportunities; prestigious and reputable company.
Cons
compensation for some groups are not commensurate with work performed, some work shifts may not be amenable to an ideal work/life balance

Want to know more about Fidelity Investments?

Ask a question
Customer Service Oriented
Client Management Representative II (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 21, 2012
A typical day at work includes solving numerous issues for a variety of clients. Utilizing resources and making contacts to multiple client service representatives. At Fidelity I've learned to manage tasks as well as people without actually being given the title of manager. In my current role I am expected to have extensive knowledge of multiple practices including health insurance, life insurance as well as pension plan benefits. My management provides me the basic tools necessary to perform my job. However, they leave it up to me to make the most of the resources available, which is critical to growth in this industry. The most difficult part of my job is when I have done everything in my power to assist a client with their issues and I am still unable to provide a full resolution. This is very disheartening. The thing I like the most about my job is that I get to help people. It brings me a great deal of pleasure to know that my actions directly impact someone's life.
Not the best place to start the career
Senior Software Engineer Developer (Current Employee) –  Westlake, TxMarch 30, 2015
Good: Benefits. Job security

Bad:
Depending on the team work culture may be relaxed or hectic. I have been part of multiple teams here and have seen big differences in work culture in all of them.

People think they are following Agile methodology here but they are actually far from it. True agile tries to reduce obstacles from developer's everyday work and focuses on getting more work done. But here we have to use multiple tracking tools to track the work apart from excel sheet!! (Yes! You read that correct. Excel Sheet in 2015). And of course we have daily stand ups as if all of those tools and excel sheet were not enough!

Learning curve: May get some good learning curve if you work in few chosen teams. Many teams at fidelity are struggling with out dated technologies or really old versions of tools/languages. From what I have seen, moving to newer version of languages hardly gets any priority.
Management has become a joke!
Call center representative (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 15, 2014
The culture was a lot better 3 years ago. The direction the company has taken within the last year is very demoralizing.
Managers are not on the same page when it comes to corporate policies.
My co-workers were great to work with. My first manager was the best manager anyone could ask for.
The hardest part was the job materials not being up to date. Management gave poor excuses on why the company can not stay on top of it.
I learned a lot about retirement and health insurance.
The employee health insurance plans are awful but the other perks are nice.
All call centers should take a customer service lesson from Fidelity.
The location is terrible. No public transportation and no where to eat except their cafe.
The cafe was too expensive, the quality of service and food was very poor.

P.S.
A LOT OF FAVORITISM!
Pros
growth opportunities
Cons
short lunch breaks, health insurance, location, management and new direction the company is taking
Great place to work, nice environment
Project Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Merrimack, NHApril 9, 2014
I supported 3-5 project managers in the Merrimack office as well as Marlborough and Boston. A typical day would be creating purchase orders for projects, scheduling meetings, researching invoice issues-I really enjoyed this job. My immediate supervisor was great. Very professional but I found her to be fair and approachable. I appreciated the fact that she would point out areas that I may need to work on but would also be my best advocate. She was a hard worker that gave 100 percent and I respected that.
My coworkers and project managers I supported were great. I had a lot of fun working with all of them. The most enjoyable part of the job were, honestly, the people. Also, the place where I worked was set in a very beautiful area with paths for walking and places to eat outside. The hardest part of my job was probably when I had to travel to Boston weekly for a time. But that was a very small "con" compared with the many "pros".
Pros
close to my home, great coworkers and supervisor
Cons
trips to boston and marlborough
Excellent Benefits, Terrible Management/Job Security/Advancement
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 27, 2013
Fidelity overall is an excellent company for what it has to offer it's clients. Some of the brightest and most innovative thinkers that I've ever met, started out in this company. The problem with Fidelity is it chews up and spits out it's employees. If you're not a VP or higher - you are expendable. The turn-over rate at Fidelity is ridiculous, most people are let go for "budget reasons" and some leave out of pure frustration and/or are pushed out. Management never seemed to be there for more low-level or hourly employees. Advancement is near impossible for hourly employees. The going joke at Fidelity is if you want a raise or a promotion you need to leave the company. Having been a former employee at Fidelity does carry a lot of weight however when applying to other companies. Especially in the Boston area.
Pros
excellent benefits package, looks good on resume
Cons
no management support, non-existent career advancement/support
Competitive workplace; Lots of bureaucracy
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  boston, maSeptember 16, 2015
Based on my 8 years of experience:

As any company in financial services, you will come across exceptional management as well as terrible management.

In this company, you will find many "lifers" which could a good and bad depending on how you look at it.

Fidelity manages to retain some employees but in my personal experience, it is still very hierarchical.

Communication is very lateral; no open door policy. Executives are untouchable.

Bureaucracy and politics very much exist.

Must have thick skin to survive in this company long term.

Must take initiative to prove your worth if you want a promotion.

Must be willing to dedicate between 50-70 hours a week in order to show commitment to your team/job.

Work/life balance does not exist.
Pros
Bonuses, other benefits (health insurance, etc)
Cons
No work/life balance; Elitist; Bureaucratic
Project manager and software developer
Principle Software Engineer/Developer (Former Employee) –  Smithfield RIMay 7, 2012
A typical day for me at Fidelity Investments:
I would begin by having a status meeting with offshore team members for my project. I received a status and would provide direction for any coding or problems resolutions. I would then have a status meeting with the business team to provide a status and discuss designs for problems or requirements as they presented themselves. Provide estimates for any items and later follow up with a documented design for both the business requirement and the system design for the offshore resources. The second half of my day: A Principle Software Engineer on an agile team converting CICS on-line trade functionality to process real-time for appropriate trades. I would typically have an agile story directing me to make changes to satisfy the story's requirements. So, I worked in a dedicated environment with a dedicated team in a fast pace agile environment to achieve the project goals. As a member of an agile team, the focus was to accomplish our goals by everyone being flexible when taking on tasks to achieve these goals.
Pros
got a lot accomplished
Cons
had to work a lot of extra time
A premier employer in the New England area
VP-HR (Corporate Operations; IT) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 20, 2014
Fidelity is a premier employer in the New England area that cares about the engagement of its employees. It has undergone tremendous change in the past 15 years as multiple re-org's have ushered in new sets of managers each of whom bring in their own leadership teams etc. Fidelity grew up as a loosely aligned group of business each with their own unique cultures. It's only been recently that the firm has attempted any enterprise level planning or trading of talent. Relationships still are an important determinant of career growth and there are usually a number of informal networks that must be navigated to get things done.
Pros
no expense spared in providing top notch facilities to employees
Cons
difficult to navigate from a career perspective, comp programs are not as lucrative as they once were.
As a member of The New York Stock Exchange every day was fast paced, extremely satisfying, and for many years very rewarding in many ways.
Financial Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYApril 28, 2014
A typical day started with calling my accounts and reviewing pertinent information which would affect their portfolios and investment strategy for the day. I learned about many aspects of investment, how to be a fast and concise decision maker, ways of dealing with and easily customer concerns, and how to train my staff handle my accounts and to increase our business. My coworkers were quick learning and dedicated to the job. The hardest part of the job was handling massive order flow when world news hit the markets be it adverse or positive. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching clients accounts grow and our order flow do the same due to our hard work, dedication, and training methods.
Pros
compensation based on overall success of the firm.
Cons
downsizing of the industry due to computerization.
n/a
Buy In and Stock Loan Representative (Former Employee) –  jersey city njDecember 21, 2014
Completed publicly traded and private placement securities, i.e. equities, fixed income, bonds, foreign securities, derivatives, futures and option. Highly interactive with various departments within Fidelity and across the financial industry.
• Reconciled and settled daily multiple securities for National Financial Services based on information obtained from generated reports.
• Interacted with Foreign Trading Department, Government Clearing, Equity Trade Desk, Physical Securities, and Mutual Funds Departments for the research and resolution of trading issues.
• Utilized problem solving, communication, investigation, documentation, and problem resolution skills in interactions with brokerage firms throughout the financial market with National Financial Services.
• Pay attention to detail to minimize risk to firm.
• Provided strong relationship building skills both inside unit and with outside firms.
• Utilized systems such as DTC, Smart Track (including CNS), and Fidelity internal mainframe systems (Autocage, PMNU Trade Engine, and FBSI [Fidelity Brokerage Services Interface]).
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a