Fidelity Investments Employee Reviews

Fidelity Investments
System Services Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 5, 2013
• Provide on-going production support for several inbound and outbound integrations in the areas of Personal Data (HCM), Compensation, Benefits, and Financials.
• Serves as liaison between internal business users and application developers to ensure functional needs from business customers/partners are translated into technical requirements.
• Responsible for managing and coordinating the implementation of any new or updated functionality is reviewed and validated prior to migration to production.
• Responsible for continuously reviewing current configurations and comparing it to over system functionality to ensure processes are operating at an increased efficiency.
• Responsible for hosting weekly (sometimes daily) calls to provide updates to business contacts to discuss open issues and provide a plan for resolutions.
• Responsible for ensuring there is open communication between on-shore and off-shore teams to confirm and plan roles and responsibilities for any new development efforts.
• Responsible for independently resolving issues and document solutions
• Provide rotational 24/7 on-call application support
No Advancement
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Merrimack, NHNovember 7, 2014
Fidelity Investments is not what it used to be. Since they started sending thousands of jobs to India and China, the quality of work performed has drastically declined. It seems that the only onshore jobs are to fix the errors caused by the offshore associates and to be the "client facing" contact. Unfortunately, they are deceptive and do not notify their clients that the work is being performed offshore. Employees are specifically prohibited to disclosing that the work is not being done in the United States and are told to state "one of my collegues" when referring to an error or something that has caused a dissatisfaction to their clients.

Unfortunately, if you are looking for a career with advancement, Fidelity is not for you. HR Corporate Policy actually prohibits current employees to "skip grade levels" and, unfortunately there are very few management jobs. There are tons of director and VP levels available, however without a management level position, it is impossible for a senior analyst or any other position to get to the next level.
Fine for individuals who enjoy extreme micro management.
Call Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJanuary 23, 2014
Dreadful place to work. They will ask you to walk on water and not allocate time for you to perform all that they ask. If you are in an entry level position - expect to be micro managed to death. The pay is so so and the only ones who are happy are those who want to move into a management position.
Hey Fidelity - the 1950’s called and they want their mindset back.
In an age when people are waking up to knowing the power of creating an inviting work environment, Fidelity seems to ignore all that and treat people with a "take it or leave" style of management.
If you went to school and worked hard on your degree, look elsewhere. Somewhere were you can thrive, grow, be creative and have some resemblance of fun. If you are completely boring and desperate than Fidelity is your place.
Pros
they are hiring.
Cons
can you say micro management?
This is a great place to work. I managed a great team who always went above and beyond the call of duty.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 16, 2013
Most days were not typical. Working in payroll for multiple clients were challenging on a day to day basis. However when you have a great team and upper management support we were able to solve any and all issues that came our way. As a manager I was always able to talk through different situations. Upper management have an open door policy in which I always felt comfortable meeting with them. My co-workers were great. We were always bouncing ideas off each other and it was a great team to work with. The hardest part of the job was some real difficult conversations with employee's that needed to be done.In order to have a successful team everyone needs to be board. As far as the most enjoyable I think it was the teamwork. Everyone had the same goal and that was to ensure the clients were happy.
Productive and nice enviornment
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dalian, CNDecember 17, 2012
A typical day at work:
10-min meeting discussing the today's tasks.
Designed and developed.
1 hours break for lunch.
Release products if it was needed before work over.

I learned new technical skills and many business domain knowledge.
There was a nice environment to have a good communication. My co-workers are very nice.

The hardest part of the job:
The different culture between this company and prior company. Fidelity has a American style. It has a open value, it encourage employee to have more communication. I feel difficult at first, however, when I familiar this, I really like it. I could study many things from my co-works.

The most enjoyable part of the job:
I could get challenge from Fidelity. We liked using new technique. I have to learn new skill everyday, but I like it. It help me keeping moving.
Senior Systems Engineer for Fidelity Investments
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RISeptember 9, 2014
My support role is in a fast paced production support environment. I support several applications that pertain to outbound email delivery. The email campaigns are developed by the business and are sent to our outbound email platform via a production endpoint (URL). The emails are then sent to an outside vendor from our internal system and then sent to the recipients inbox. There are several different jobs that need to be monitored on a daily basis. I also support all changes to the environments (DEV, SIT, UAT, PERF & PROD) as needed. This may include shutting down the applications for the DEV team to do the actual code install. Then bringing up the applications and doing production validation by sending test feeds through the system. This support role includes 24/7 oncall functions on a rotational basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is being challenged on a daily basis.
Pros
work from home
My review
Senior End User Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 19, 2013
A typical day consists of assisting employees with various technical issues from password resets to application issues, troubleshooting laptop/desktop hardware, VDI, Blades, virtual machine creation, software packaging issues. I have learned about the importance of documentation, and communication amongst different departments. My co-workers also require assistance at different times, which I am able to provide even while I am performing my tasks. The most difficult part of the job is supporting something I did not create. It is tough to understand the, "Why" is this particular software is added to an image or "Why" the software is not. The enjoyable part of the job is knowing that when someone required assistance I was able to provide the "Above the line" support, and the person was functional at the end of it.
Pros
i work with "true" professionals.
Cons
i am limited to only 1 building for support.
After many years in the production arena - the benefits administartion arena provided a complete picture of a corporation
Production Manager – Document Services (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJanuary 23, 2015
Fidelity was a very different work environment for me. As production manager i was very aware that time and money were almost inseparable, but the culture at Fidelity too it to another world. Fidelity had metrics for everything. The metrics measured customer interaction time, to the time you spent in the restroom. I understand and fully agree with most of the productivity metrics, but i think some of them went a bit to far. The people were great to work with, but it was difficult to explain to people why their benefits cost so much and did not cover all that was expected.
Pros
tremendous training, very helpful co-woorkers and supervisiors and you felt like part of the team
Cons
everything was scheduled to the minute, linch, breaks, restroom breaks and the scheduled times varried widely from day to day
Fedelity Outbound in Grapevine, Tx
HRP (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TxJanuary 13, 2014
I worked there for 6 months through Veritude. At the beginning everything was fine. We had more work when the quartlerly work started and they hired more people finally, but the new people did not do that much as I and I had to do everything for them.

The nights supervisor got fired for warming up with one of the employees there..

I got fired at the end only because I complaint about all the work that I had to do for these people and if you get sick u don't get to go home. Since I started working there I worked 11-12 hrs straight!

The main manager and new manger lady are really super mean! they do not care about treating good an employee(s).

Don't recommend working for Fidelity in Grapevine, Tx which is production based and they do not care about all the hard work that u put into.
Pros
bad management
Cons
good benefits
An excellent investment firm with a primary focus on customer service.
Financial Associate I (Former Employee) –  Merrimack, NHOctober 18, 2015
Fidelity Investments is an amazing company to work with. They offer benefits and compensation that far exceeds what most of their competitors offer. Customer service is their number on priority above all else. They instruct employees, like myself, that work with the employees of client organizations to try and anticipate an individual's future needs as well as their immediate. This organization and the financial services industry is in a constant state of dynamic change. The training and support offered by management has helped myself and countless other employees learn to embrace and adapt to an ever changing environment. Fidelity's management also maintains a high level of interest in their employees' well-being.
Pros
Management, compensation, benefits, culture, customer focus.
Cons
You may need to relocate to other areas of the country when you wish to advance your career.

Want to know more about Fidelity Investments?

Ask a question
Great place to work with great benefits and will set you up for retirement
Financial Rep (Current Employee) –  Westlake, TXJuly 13, 2014
Normal 8-5t type positions. To succeed and much like in life work hard, talk to your manager, ask for more to do. Management is great when you keep them in the loop with what you are doing and your career path. Coworkers are awesome. Most enjoyable part of the job has to be the benefits - Fidelity has the best. They do care about the health and retirement of their employees. They have promoted healthier eating, volunteer, Less junk food in the vending machines, healthier cafe options, working out, no smoking, team building, jogging paths…etc…outside of the tech firms I can't think of a better atmosphere.
Pros
healthier living. fidelity has improved greatly
Cons
working your way up the ladder takes time.
It's a job
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Merrimack, NHDecember 1, 2014
Working at Fidelity was a job for me, not a career. There is a lot of talk upon being hired that there is plenty of opportunity for advancement, but it's entirely in a call center. Moving up is very difficult after the first bump, and most desirable destinations are being competed for by every other person from the call center. In addition, it's very difficult to move up if you lack sales skills (or desire). Even though the position isn't primarily sales based, there are goals that you must exceed if you expect to advance your career there. If you have worked in a call center before, and don't mind the high regulations of what you do with your time, then it may be the job for you. Competition is huge at Fidelity- within your team and against other teams. You absolutely must be competitive to enjoy this job.
career suicide
Plan Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYJuly 24, 2015
Most of the jobs are call center work. Although the job pays well for call center work, there is almost no avenues for advancement and even if you do hit the lottery and get promoted, it will still be in a call center environment.

The worst part about the job is after leaving trying to get another job. Employers see it as sales, no matter whether you had to pass a licensing test or not. Want to get a job doing real finance? Good luck, hope you have something besides fidelity on you resume.

Managers are allowed to pretty much do whatever they want. There are good managers there and they can make the difference between being content and being miserable, but its completely luck of the draw who you'll get.
Pros
Cons
basically career suicide.
Productive and fun place to work. Support provided and great co-workers.
CSR/CMR II/Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 28, 2014
Since this is a call center for benefits we login for our shift take calls from clients to answer questions or help with any problems they may be experiencing, help with internal and external situations. Managers that I dealt with were very engaged with us and helping to make our jobs better and fun by providing feedback and support. My co-workers are very friendly and make working together as a team a pleasure, there for support if needed. Hardest part of this work is you have limitations on customer requests. If you enjoy talking to new people then this is a great job as the interactions with them is very rewarding.
Pros
focused on employees needs.
Cons
have none.
Fast Paced and Productive Environment
Senior System Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 9, 2013
A typical day at this role was to address new incoming issues and/or critical crisis issues reported by either individual users or a whole group while also working on research issues that would take a few days to completed. From this type of environment, I learned how to prioritize daily and even on some cases several times a day successfully to work on crisis issues that came up. This was key as I was able to maintain my daily workload, while still making each user aware of their issues and status changes. I worked with a great group of people on my team as well as other cross function teams that allowed for a friendly atmosphere.
Pros
great knowledged learned
Cons
turnover and layoffs that removed key workers from the company
Great training and fun atmosphere
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Merrimack, NHJune 4, 2013
Work as in-bound phone representative, which means I assist Personal Investing clients with service and trading needs. My duties could vary drastically with each call. One call I may need to update and address or send a duplicate statement, and on the very next call I am placing multi spread options and precious metals trades.
The most difficult aspect of the role is the fact that I cannot prepare for the next call because I have no idea what it might pertain to; however, this is also what makes it so enjoyable because I have to be ready for anything. It's imperative that I stay current on market news and information.
Pros
team atmosphere and fun culture
Cons
would rather be client facing
A productive learning enviroment
Multiple Benefit Customer Sevice Representative (Former Employee) –  Durham NCApril 13, 2015
During my time at Fidelity Investments I developed strong communication skills and mastered effective questioning to ensure I had a clear understanding of the participants concern. By mastering effective questioning I had the ability to be far more efficient in resolving and correcting any account errors.

I learned how to multi task/navigate through multiple benefit systems.
I also learned abut HIPPA and multiple life events, how these events impacted the participants health and retiree benefits.
I truly enjoyed taking ownership of participants concern's by following up with them to update on the status of the issue as well as relaying resolutions.
Pros
Retiree benefits, employee perks, health benefits
Cons
Lack of time off, poor communication of employer plan rule changes hindering efficent timely customer service
wouldn't recommend working here.
Customer Service Rep II (Current Employee) –  Covington, KYJanuary 28, 2013
There is a constant shuffling of employees to new managers. My personal experience has been to have 7 managers in less than two years of working for the company. The way that management approaches their job has no real consistency. Each manager has their own approach to their duties, some are constantly micromanaging the employees, some are completely absent. Also the subjective nature of the call monitoring system that is used causes frustration because some managers will give a stellar review for certain interactions, but other managers will address the interaction as subpar.

the most enjoyable aspect of the job is the ample voluntary time off that is given, even though it is something that varies with customer need.
Pros
airconditioning works well
Cons
management.
Great education with a horrible culture only a masochist could survive in.
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 10, 2014
Fidelity is definitely only for a defined group of people. They provide you with excellent training about finance and prepare you for the series 7 and 63, but that's where the positives end. The culture is defined and the company has no interest in progressing. They expect you to just "wing-it" with their horribly outdated computer programs and processes. The calls do not end and there are no breaks in between them dealing with abusive customers all day. Unless you want a way to get your foot in the door for finance and are willing to deal with all the negatives this entry level position has, then I would advise others to avoid it.
Pros
education in finance
Cons
culture, management, pay, benefits, everything.
Company focused on meeting client needs and commitments
Senior Manager Software Engineering (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 12, 2013
Worked with a ton of dedicated people over the years who all had the same end point in mind...meet our internal partners' and external clients' needs to have a cohesive relationship end to end.

I learned how to be patient, yet firm as a manager. I learned many new technologies over the years.

The hardest part of the job was having serious conversations with employees about their performance.

As a paradox, to the above statement, the best part of being a manager was guiding employees through their career path. As a developer, it was fun to develop functionality that would suite the business needs and help the company thrive.
Pros
good benefits, good people, one for all and all for one mentality
Cons
long hours and a lot of weekend work