Fifth Third Bank Employee Reviews

Great place to work, great work life balance
Financial Center Manager II (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 18, 2015
As a manager, great opportunities to affect others' development and engage yourself for future growth; benefits were top of the line
Productive Fun Work Place
Financial Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILOctober 30, 2015
5/3 is a great company to work with.
Most higher level employees know who you are even when working at a lower position. Very competitive work environment though.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Not bad for entry level
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 10, 2016
High-stress call center work. People calling about why their account is over drawn, why they haven't gotten their credit card in the mail, and dozens of other questions. If you are easily upset by rude customers, pass or your ulcers will have ulcers. You need to be self-motivated to teach yourself, management is inconsistent and will punish you for lack of knowledge. The redeeming point at this job was you could easily make lots of overtime money, they're always busy. And you will come to love the people you work with, and if you're good at your job, you will learn LOTS. And not just about banking, but business as a whole. I hated working here, but I would not trade the experience I gained after 5 years.
Pros
Employee engagement, good pay
Cons
Very time regulated, high stress, inconsistent knowledge
It was whatever you made it
District Manager, Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 22, 2015
There was no commitment from the company to Georgia. Upper level management was not in tune with what was going on in the field which created a bad overall culture.
Pros
Able to operate as an entreprenuer
Cons
Management, work life balance, incentive pay, lack of opportunity for advancement
Stressful and Lengthy with no appreciate for hard work.
Teller (Current Employee) –  Willoughby, OHJuly 31, 2016
You bust your butt to get no type of recognition or appreciation while the people who stretch the truth and lie get all of the glory they don't deserve. Management is joke half of these people wouldn't know how to be professional if they sat through a year of training dedicated to just that.
Pros
Customers were great, some good staff
Cons
Short to no breaks, Understaffed, Terrible management, Favoritism, Unfair dismissals
Say one thing/mean another
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIAugust 5, 2016
This is not a bank you want to work for! The pay is bad. I've worked here 1 1/2 yrs and no raise! Unacceptable in my opinion. The expectations are never good enough, the bar continually moves. They say it's a "home town" bank and puts the community first. But the bottom line is Sales! You are not their type of worker if you don't have their numbers they want.
Pros
Holidays, vacation, health benefits
Cons
Pay, sales, referral expectations
Sales and customer care
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 22, 2016
On a daily basis i will motivate customers to join the bank services and then keep them satisfied with our services and products.I learned how pursuit the escellence in services and goals oriented to the institution goals. The management side work properly offering support constantly. The co-workers workj independently in their own goals. The hardest part of a day was when you didnt bring a customer to the institution. The most enjoyable part was when we close a good deal that produce benefit to the Institution and money to my pocket.
Pros
Commissions
Cons
No too many opportunities or available products to customers.
Good place. Bad Place.
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 30, 2015
The culture of the company may vary. The pay is not good. But that's banking for you. They hire people from anywhere. High school graduates, drop outs. Your going to have to work with people who aren't on the same university level you may have. Only position that's good enough is a regional manager and up. anything below that is pretty much a headache and they always set point goals and targets that get met most of the time. Everyone chews each other out. ONE DAY THEY CHERISH YOU. THE NEXT DAY THEY DESPISE YOU. ONE DAY YOUR THE TOP PERFORMER, THE NEXT DAY YOU CAN BE LACKING FOR NO REASON. When you ask for a raise they make up excuses on your job performance making you feel like bad like your not ever good enough. But crazy thing is that the day before your managers told you how great you were and how well your numbers are. That your performing so excellent. they dont wanna pay you more. your just a slave promised the land you work on.
Pros
clients
Cons
pay
Becoming less employee friendly
Personal Banker/ Financial Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 27, 2015
Although Fifth Third has become very strong financially, there is much that is left desired for the retail work force. The bank promotes a culture of diversity and engagement. However, the changes that have been instituted speak louder in the layoffs, reduced commissions, and coercion around supposed unbiased surveys.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
decreasing income, downsizing, lack of input from employees on decisions that affect them.
Provided customer care, in a very high volume traffic area
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTITVE (Current Employee) –  Freeport, ILJuly 28, 2015
It was a nice opportunity for personal growth. I appreciate the time the company allowed, in order for us to truly observe our own development. I really enjoyed the training I received in the beginning, by sending us away to do so. This made the transition to live working a bit easier.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
Sometimes reaching out to upper management felt unachievable.
Good experience
Vice President - Finance Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 24, 2015
Good solid company. I enjoyed my experience there. I left only because of other job opportunities. Fifth Third was and is a good bank. I learned more about production and potential at Fifth Third than anywhere else.
Pros
Excellent compensation incencentives
Cons
Hard edge to work culture
Good Company
PERSONAL BANKER I (Current Employee) –  Streetsboro, OHAugust 3, 2015
Fifth Third Bank is an overall well-rounded company. They provide competitive benefits and opportunities for growth and advancement to their internal employees.
Pros
Room for growth and advancement
Cons
Management structure does not guarantee qualified management at every position
productive and growing environment
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Pilsen, ILSeptember 15, 2016
having the opportunity to learn great things and acquire long lasting client relationships is my take away. I love how my days at work were always about learning something new and just overall being able to help my customers. Getting referrals based on my experience has helped me be successful at Fifth Third Bank
enjoyed my branch and boss
Teller, Drive (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 15, 2016
I was very fortunate to have worked under a great boss and with a great team. I left at the end of 2014 and that was the worst mistake I made. I worked for a really good manager and he always had his door open for you. as a whole the transaction process was easy to learn and the referral was drawn out but is is the best bank i have ever worked at!!!!
Great Company to work for.
Lead Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 19, 2016
The customers and coworkers make for an enjoyable and pleasant environment. There is always something new to learn within the banking field, yet advancement is somewhat difficult.
Pros
Friendly customers, awesome team members, and decent pay.
Cons
Benefits are expensive and advancement somewhat difficult.
Entry level, lak of advancement opportunities
Multi-Stage Collector II (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MISeptember 5, 2016
This job is a mix of customer service and collections. Multi-tasking is a must, as is a degree of comfort using multiple computer applications seamlessly and effectively.
Pros
Inclusive culture, diverse work staff
Cons
Poor scheduling, high employee turn over, lateral moves rather than advancement
Good company in a challenging industry
Financial Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton areaAugust 18, 2015
I believe Fifth Third Bank is one of the better banks to work for, however, the banking industry is changing due to recent legislation, and as those changes take place, the role of a Financial Center Manager is evolving. I no longer do what I do best every day, because my role has changed from being primarily sales to primarily operations.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Industry changes
Very slow branch, fun and interactive team environment, somewhat aggressive sales
Lead Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 15, 2016
A typical work day at this location has a lot of down time due to low foot traffic. To avoid stagnant progress we spend a lot of time finding potential leads to make cold calls to.
I've learned a large amount of proper customer service experience as well as dealing with aggressive and irritable customers and problematic employees in a calm, productive manner.

The hardest part of the job is probably the lack of actual foot traffic, but this can be combated with extra effort into looking for potential sales and doing in branch maintenance and auditing.

The most enjoyable part is the relationships I've formed with regular customers as well as co-workers, I've grown very close to those I've helped and worked with and look forward to building the same experiences with new people.
Pros
Wide variety of customers and situtions
Cons
Slow foot traffic, understaffed, lack of business leading to branch closure.
Great Place Rewarding but don't believe in 2nd chances.
Personal Banker I (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 31, 2015
I worked for 5/3 for over a year. Great teammates that helped you succeed and also cared for you. Upper management cared only if you were performing which is understandable. I was a TOP performer and we'll recognized. Salary was little low after finding out when I left they rewarded somebody with a higher salary and not even close to the performer I was. I earn awards and you would think or consider on rehiring me right? Not so fast.. but everyone that I kept in contact agree with me!! Why don't we rehire you? Don't know why but things happen for a reason. Sometimes we make decisions base on financials but that's how it is. Great company but I wish pride is set to aside and look for what you have accomplished for 5/3 and give the 2nd chance.
Great place to work but hard to effect change
Mortgage Foreclosure Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 10, 2016
The bank has an inclusive atmosphere that emphasizes growth and work/life balance. I have always felt valued but not always heard. I think the issue is partially the size of the company. Management turnover is high, which is concerning. Overall this is a great place to work.