Fifth Third Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Customer service rep
Lead Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rosemont, ILNovember 3, 2015
What started off as a summer job became so much more. I started as a teller and learned as quickly as possible all of the duties and responsibilities that came with my job. As we were a high volume, high cash branch I would handle anywhere between $10,000 and $100,000 on a daily basis. I was extremely time efficient and when things were running slowly I would help the manager with tasks that were above my pay grade, which eventually led to a promotion. Being the youngest and employed the least amount of time this was a great accomplishment. I enjoyed having a steady 30-35 hour work week while at school and 35-38 hours while on breaks from school.
Enjoyable and gratifying
Retail Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Mount Clemens, MIJanuary 2, 2016
Enjoyed very much what I did. I was able to make a difference financially in many peoples lives. I built very trusted relationships with my customers. Whether it was thousands or a hundred I was a positive influence our customers lives. By providing them with services, products, or advice their lives were benefitted.
The biggest challenge cam from being in an urban/low income branch. These types of branches, required by law, are difficult to compete with branches in more affluent areas. Finding customers with good enough credit or finances to qualify for many of the services we provide was very challenging. I very much enjoyed or staff. The tellers, mortgage officer, financial adviser, and I worked very hard to support each other to both benefit the customers and each other.
Pros
Hours. Having nights, weekends, and holidays to spend with family.
Cons
Overall fincial wealth of customers and bank community.
Porductive work experience
Correspondent Account Liaison (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 28, 2015
This is a great work place. Very fixable with employees and overall just a great place to work. Also great benefits and management really encourage you to good back to school if this is something that you desire.
Negative experience
Personal Banker I (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 14, 2016
I moved to 5/3 from BOA, and I thought it would be much more respected due to the culture that 5/3 promotes. Come to find out any position on the retail side of banking is an aggressive sales position. As a personal banker, there was not a morning without criticism both work related and personal. There weren't many lunch hours taken without interruptions, and lets not forget the days with the famous 2 hours lunches and they required that we stay by the building.

I often had to work late hours without compensation, (I was not salary). I was informed to use word play to trick customers into getting services or products that do not meet their financial needs. I had to listen to a harassing manager everyday complain why we cant sell thousands dollars of financial services and products to our target market downtown Clearwater where the gap between the poor and the rich is wide enough to see the negative affect this organization has on its community and its employees. Overall I rate this my worse company I have worked for and would rather work at Wendys flipping burgers over wearing a fifth third name tag and representing an unethical organization.
Very political
Financial Center Manager III (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 29, 2015
Then again what job in corporate America isn't?
I've been a Bank Manager for 15 years with two different companies and it's a the same information over and over again.
Pros
Salary is very good
Cons
no real advancement
Slow pace environment
Loan Officer/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 17, 2015
A very professional and slow paced atmosphere Although, some flexibility is allowed, the schedule is centered around baking hours. Which, has it's ups and down when working with the public. You must be self sufficient and independent. Management does not provide a lot of direction or support.
Pros
Banking hours and banking holidays
Cons
Overall benefits
Banking world involued in sales and customer service
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 13, 2016
Fifth Third really was a good fun place to work, But anyone investing time as their employee needs to have GREAT selling skills and good customer service. I did however love when it came to sales they didn't practice pushing product unless it truly made sense for the customer. It's to bad the pay is low for how much that is expected. Could have made a great long lasting career.
Pros
Good work enviorment
Cons
low pay for amount of work expected
Excellent healthcare and benefit plan
Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IlJune 28, 2015
Busy typical work day made the time go fast, a lot of walking was the hardest part of the work day, coworkers helping each other a plus, Management too easy
Pros
purchase additional vacation, 401K
Cons
work hours
Working up the ladder
Lead Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  MichiganOctober 5, 2015
I feel this company could do a better job of retaining the valuable talent in the branches. In the seven years I have been with the company I have seen them loose many very talented people because they are more willing to pay outsiders coming into the company more than they pay those that have worked their way up in the company. I have seen excellent people leave the company to go to other institutions that are willing to pay them much more to do the same exact job. They don't even make counter offers to try to keep valuable people. They wonder why they have such a high turnover rate, but I feel if they would pay their existing employees what competitors are willing to pay, and what they are willing to pay incoming talent they would see more employee loyalty and retention.
Pros
training programs for advancement
Cons
unwilling to pay competive rates to those working their way up within the company
Worked with the best team and learnt lot of new frameworks.
iOS Developer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 6, 2016
Responsible for tech design and architecture of the project and working with user experience design team, business analysts and clients to create the needed requirements artifacts. I have learnt to develop skills on core data and RESTful API. My hardest part here
were to work extra time as I was new to core data. I loved the team as they were so helping and making me comfortable with the stuff I was new to.
I liked the people I work with. My manager and coworkers are like family.
Vault Teller/Vault Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 17, 2016
The department I worked in was great, we worked well together. I really loved my job for the first few years and then I felt like we were given a bigger work load while dealing with staffing issues. I feel like upper management (over my manager) was not taking into consideration the problems we were having.
Stressful Job
Licensed Retail Banker (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INNovember 11, 2015
Working at Fifth Third Bank was very stressful regardless of how well you performed. Even when over achieving your monthly sales goals it always seemed management had something to point out to you that you were not doing well versus coaching you on areas you think you can approve. Employee turnover was high and the branches were short staffed which put more pressure on the banker to do even more and would sometimes pull them away from their actual job.
Pros
Decent starting pay
Cons
Terrible commision structure and working Saturdays, late Fridays.
Very unorganized company to work for.
Personal Banker I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2015
Learned consultative sales to identify needs for every client that comes into the bank. Yet company is very unorganized with training and management doesn't want to be bothered by employees nor wants to provide them with the right tools so that they can be successful.
Pros
A lot of advancement opportunity.
Cons
Management is very unapproachable by employees.
Accounts Payable
Accounts Payable Contractor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working with the people! I taught myself their new computer system (P2P). I was promised after a few weeks on the job, the system would go live. Once it went live, their were some problems with the system.
Pros
Learning a new computer system, people
Cons
No work, no communication with management, Decent amount of red tape and politics, but I expected this in a big company
Engaged work enviroment with a very commited team.
Retail Customer Service Rep, Teller (Current Employee) –  Willoughby, OHMay 5, 2016
Enjoyable team environment,every team member is very engaged in doing the right things for the customers needs and wants. Work with customers to set up appointments and review customers accounts to ensure the best services that fit there needs.
Pros
great team environment
Cons
software updates made programs run slow and computers could be updated
Burn and churn
Senior Database Developer/Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 16, 2016
Lots of job churn here. They survived the bank downturn but the place has a reputation for being hard to tolerate more than a few years. There are plenty of lifers though and the culture doesn't really reflect the stated intention of being professional and fair.
not about the customer...just about pushing products for profit
Personal Banker II (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 10, 2016
they are only focused on selling..in fact you have to pass a role play that shows you can push products. they want deposits, big commercial accounts and fees. Don't ask for a loan unless you really don't need to borrow and even then you may not be approved. I have seen customers with no debt, credit scores in the 800 range and thousands of dollars on deposit turndown.
Left bad taste in my mouth
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 14, 2016
Fifth Third Bank has a bad reputation of being a very nepotism style of a work place. You learn alot about the finance business but leaves bad taste in your mouth. Management is sub par upper and your area manager.
Produtive and Fun work place
Senior Customer Professional (Current Employee) –  5050 Kingsley Drv Cincinnati OH 45263March 1, 2016
Very strict on Time gives you a bonus if you meet or exceed the expectations of the company. 1030-800 taking calls every minute non-stop you get three breaks 2-15mins and 1-30 min break they want you to be back in those 15mins if not it goes against you. Other than that its a [pretty decent job we didn't have a sup visor for like 4 months
busy busy busy
Call Center Sales Representative S2S (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 25, 2016
Typically I answer call after call after call and service their request then sell a product or service. Its okay, I prefer face to face interaction over phone conversations because I excel at customer service (which my customer service scores showed even on the phone). I
Pros
sales incentives
Cons
short breaks, high sales goals, short handle times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fifth Third Bank. Our community is ready to answer.