Finger Lakes Community College Employee Reviews

Fun and relaxed environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYDecember 28, 2017
They worked with me on my hours and never gave me a schedule that I couldn't handle. A great job that taught me how to have a great attitude, answer phone calls, set appt. for students and do little tasks around the office. Great work environment and was able to work on school homework in down time.
I liked working at FLCC and hope to return some day in a full-time permanent position
Adult Basic Education Case Manager/Career Advisor (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYOctober 17, 2017
This was only a part-time grant-funded position so no benefits. I liked my co-workers very much and found the college very student focused. All efforts were to support and guide learners toward their educational goals. I found the atmosphere to be admirable and surely would like to return in a more permanent position sometime soon.
Pros
Strongly student focused
Cons
I truly enjoyed working at FLCC!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYSeptember 23, 2017
As an office assistant, I was able to interact with most departments and enjoyed working with the staff and students.

The office assistant supports the department by handling any vendor orders/billings/problems, paying invoices, keeping track of expenditures, making appointments and more. I was rarely bored because there was always something I could be working on.
Pros
Interacting with students and staff
Cons
Changes in leadership could cause some painful readjustments at times
Very stressful and unsupporting environment
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYSeptember 10, 2017
The college was competitive, unsupporting and used laying off tactics when it came time for contract negotiation. The high level of support flaws were present at that time. The leadership was judgmental, unsupportive and maligning. Compensation for driving back and forth for meetings at the main campus was daunting, unfunded and served to
Pros
great students
Cons
no support from the main campus. Highly judgmental and jacked support from the faculty.]
Lots of expected work with little compensation
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYAugust 31, 2017
Constantly expected to do work outside of reasonable expectations without being fairly compensated. Even benefits that were guaranteed upon being hired were never given as stated, despite excellent job performance. Upper management is completely disconnected from the work we actually do.
Office Assistant
office clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2017
I enjoyed the environment of the office and being of assistance to other students and staff. It was a very easy to job to do. Low pressure. Opportunities to grow or be interactive within the campus and other offices was advantageous.
Pros
No pressure, possible growth
Cons
Co-staff at times lacked professionalism, needed.
A very productive day working on campus.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYMay 24, 2017
I greeted and welcomed guests in person and on the phone. I also answer and direct inquires to designated department. I managed front office reception area by cleaning and organizing desk and visitor body.
Very good
Adjunct Instructor of History (Current Employee) –  History/Social SciencesJanuary 25, 2017
The college has some excellent programs and instructors and is highly recommended. The college is located on close to Canandaigua Lake one of the most scenic of the Finger Lakes in NYS and close to the wine country in the historic town of Canandaigua.
Pros
Great facilities.
Cons
Long commute from Rochester.
Great workplace
Student Aide (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYAugust 4, 2016
It is a great place to work, everyone is welcoming and friendly. But the work changes everyday. Depending on what work has to be done, it could be very unclean. Sometime the weather has to be considered when planing the worm for the week.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not the same thing everyday
Productive and fun
Student Aide (Studio Musician) (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJune 4, 2016
Very good place to work. Safe and productive. Always fair and reasonable people to work with. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Productive and fun work environment
IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYApril 18, 2016
It was a productive and fun work environment. Most of the managers were fun to work with, others, you just worked for. There is a big difference when it comes to student workers and actual employees vs. those who are striving to be there and others who are just there for the paycheck. I strove to be there.
Pros
Decent work environment
Cons
Not enough hours available to work
Great Community College
Professor (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYMarch 28, 2016
FLCC is a great school nestled in the finger lakes of NYS. Faculty love teaching. Student / teacher interaction is great. Exceptional student advisement. FLCC is a great place for students to start their college education and a great place to work.
Great People, Great Work Environment
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day of work consists of me checking voicemail and transferring it to the correct mailbox in the system, followed by me going and checking the mail prior to handling the tasks that my supervisor sets out for me. I have learned a lot about the college through my time working here. We supply information on everything from the clubs and activities on campus to the bus schedule around town, to where to go to find answers to any miscellaneous question anyone has about the campus. I enjoy everyday a little bit more due to the amazing group of people I work with.
Good, job, Good school, Good people.
Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJuly 1, 2015
A learning centric environment, always offering new opportunities to network, learn and grow. Felt like home, and the people are wonderful. consistent schedule made balancing school and life easy and achievable.
Pros
cafe on site, learning centric enviornment
Cons
student postion only
Productive and fun workplace
Student Lab Aid at Computer/IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJune 2, 2015
I was a full time business administration major and worked a position as a part time student computer lab aid. At the time, I had greatly enjoyed the assortment of management and job specific responsibilities all from day one.
Community college atmosphere
Adjunct Instructor: English (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYApril 9, 2015
Finger Lakes Community College attracts a wide variety of students; the Department Chairs are fairly "hands off" when it comes to involvement with the day to day classroom environment.
Pros
Easy-going environment
Cons
Department chairs often play "favorites."
Flcc
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJanuary 12, 2015
wonderful place to work and get an education most of coworkers would be there on time hardest part of the job when slow times occured but i still always found something to do
Pros
benefits friendliness
Cons
constantly standing and short breaks
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant of EHS (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Over all I have enjoyed my experience working for this company. I have learned a number of new areas that involve; office skills, organizational skills, and safety. I will miss all of the people I worked with. I found this job to be very time consuming, I learned to manage my time wisely and became a great success within my position. I enjoyed the fast past environment.
A Great place to be working
Counseling Center Asst.\ Work Study (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYApril 25, 2014
I was a work study student at Community College of the Finger Lakes now called Finger Lakes Community College. My major was in Business Adminstration-Retail Mangement. The hours I worked in the Counciling center, now called something else. However when I was their as a student the counciling center was for job searches, college catalogs, and so on.

My hours were worked around my class, and other things I did. The best part of the job was when you were able to help someone who came in. Other than that there was paper work in the form of stuffing envelopes for other departments, and answering a call once in a while not to must to stress about.

My hours were divided between early afternoons, and one day a week I covered the late shift from 5 pm until 11pm. The later in the evening it got the slower it got.

On those evenings I would work on homework take test offered by the counciling center so I knew the services they had available to all students, staff, general public { set by appointment} , and parents alike.

I would would choise to work in the counciling center it is not stress full even when busy, and everyone for the most part are very friendly. There was to other work study students who worked in the same area, but they covered days only. Grab this job if you can get it. Two thumbs up for the job.
I loved this job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJuly 27, 2013
My co-workers and management team were amazing. They worked with my schedule every day. The pay was awful, but I was given what I could be for my grants and loans. I wish I could have stayed on as a non-student worker.
Pros
Great co-workers, great enviroment, loved every minute of my time there
Cons
not enough pay, don't hire non-students