Finisar Employee Reviews

SMT operator (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at finisar was very challenging and a good way, make my job more exciting. A very professional environment they treat you with a lot of respect. The management the are very open very friendly and professional. My co-workers was very cooperative and helpful. Can't said it was something hard seen always they explain and teach and a professional manners. great group team.
Pros
Great treatment, nice Christmas party, overtimes
Cons
move overseas
Good Benefits/Pay Bad mgmt
Technician (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAMay 15, 2016
This is one of those places that has all of the employees looking over their shoulder waiting to get laid off. They hire a bunch of contractors, get the job working, ship it to China and lay everyone off. Repeat.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Brutal Management
Extremely Educational Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXDecember 31, 2015
I worked under a PhD design engineer for VCSEL transceivers. While at Finisar, I learned a great deal about laser physics, semiconductor manufacturing, VCSEL testing, and data analysis. I learned more in two months there than in most semesters of college.

I was primarily responsible for the characterization of high-power VCSEL arrays using optical test equipment including integrating spheres, high resolution cameras, and spectrometers. The lab engineers and technicians were helpful in teaching me testing procedures and were available to answer questions. I also used JMP Scripting Language to automatically compile test data from databases and output useful tables and graphs. Management had high expectations of me and I did my best to deliver by meeting deadlines and proactively testing parts.
Pros
Friendly, educational environment
Cons
No benefits (internship)
Extremely Educational Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXDecember 31, 2015
I worked under a PhD design engineer for VCSEL transceivers. I learned a great deal about the physics of lasers, semiconductor manufacturing techniques, lab testing of lasers, and the use of JMP for complex data analysis. In the two months I spent there I learned more than I did in most semesters of college.

I primarily tested VCSEL arrays to characterize different product options for customers. This involved using optical test equipment such as an integrating sphere, high resolution cameras, and spectrometers. The lab engineers and technicians were helpful in guiding me through the testing procedures and were available to answer questions. I also used JMP Scripting Language (JSL) to automatically compile test data from databases and output useful tables and graphs. Management had high expectations of me, and I did my best to deliver by meeting deadlines and being proactive in testing parts.
Pros
Friendly, supportive environment
Cons
No benefits (internship)
Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with.
quality (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PASeptember 15, 2015
Unfortunately management doesn't feel that way. Lies, deception, and lack of respect for general workforce. Recent or on-going lay-offs heading towards plant closure, however, mgmt will tell you the opposite. There are only 2 projects in HSM and 1 of them is going to be deemed unprofitable and be canceled, rumor has it
great place to work
Diffusion tech MOCVD (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXAugust 27, 2015
not a stable company needs better employee training.
Also needs for the management run the company, and not let one employee dictate how the company is ran.
Pros
good job
Cons
not a stable company
I have the good time and great memory to work in Finisar
TESTER (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 27, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues and learning from them, moreover I also satisfied their benefits such as health care insurance, vacation, holiday.
Great place to work with a family friendly culture and a place where people treated each other with respect
IC Test Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 10, 2015
Finisar was a great place to work. The culture was very family friendly and allowed for extra curricular activities such as running, biking and other sports.

Management, for the most part, had an open door policy, so you could always voice an opinion. The culture also cultivated collaboration and encouraged the practice of being respectful to your colleagues.
Pros
Family friendly atmosphere, colleagues are all respectful to one another
Cons
No sick leave, just PTO
Good product
Wafer Fabrication Tech II (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 1, 2015
Tools are outdated , still use paper travelers to process wafers . Engineering staff are very helpful . Wafers quality is good , Finisar is known world wide . Ahead of the competition .
Lightsmyth Division of Finisar-Eugene Oregon
Manufacturing/Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 3, 2015
Lightsmyth has always had really good compensation and heath insurance benefits with a very humorous atmosphere. The draw backs would be no set concrete priorities for the week, no advancement/mentor possibilities, and a very temperamental General Manager thats at the office for a couple of hours 2-3 times a week.

The goals are usually set at the beginning of the week, but the plans/priorities changes hourly causing massive wasted time in tooling and/or an extremely high ability to multi-task. Sometimes customer orders get forgotten during this priority "ping-pong match" and end up being up to a year late in rare cases.

Due to this division of Finisar being so small (roughly 14 employees), their is really no room for advancement, and people are just too busy to mentor. Out of ~14 employees there are only 4 Manufacturing Techs. If the Manfacturing Techs wanted to move up it would cause a major work flow slow down. This would be big as some MT's are pulling in roughly 90-100 hour paychecks every two weeks just to keep up with the work load. Only one MT was able to move up, but it was due to the hostility she created in the cleanroom.

The General Manager is there roughly 2-3 times a week sometimes more, but for only a few hours. When asked if everything is okay, he starts being verbally abusive and verbally attacks the person. When he tries to gives kudos to employees, it sounds forced and he does not make eye contact, which makes it feel like he's just trying to smooth ruffled feathers.

The rest of Management seems to try to give you tools to be
  more... successful in your tasks. The person that is Director of Operations/ Quality Manager/Production Manager does a great job making sure we have supplies and follow's up shortly after delegating duties. Even the person that is the Facilities Manager/ Safety Manager/ SEM Operator, will pop into the clean room to make sure we are all okay. The 2 Optics Engineers and 4 Manufacturing Techs that are in clean room are a blast to work for. They all have good attitudes and support each other without job titles baring the way.  less
Pros
Majority of the employees are awesome to work with, really good compensation, Finisar really treats employees well
Cons
General Manager does not seem like he has drive left (only an observation), no advancement opportunities/mentoring, compensation for manufacturing can be a little ridiculously high (hard to bounce back if laid off)
Ok for paying Bills
tech (Former Employee) –  horsham, paJune 7, 2015
As long as the work flows it its not bad but as soon as work was caught up it the project was shipped to china. Not the way American business should work.
Friendly and professional place to work
Technician (Current Employee) –  200 Precision road Horsham PA 19044April 25, 2015
I had good time and enjoy working with other employees, friendly, profession. I found myself fitted and valuable to my job duties and company needs.
Productive and Fun work place
JAVA/J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 24, 2015
Good Day at Work
Learned a Lot
Good management
Co-Workers Helped me a Lot
No Hardest Part of My Job
Through out my project i enjoyed my job
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Great sharp folks to work with and fun company functions
Contract PCB Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 19, 2014
Project stream was always full so days went by quick and advance technologies were interesting and challenging. Worked on 25-45 gig laser HDI projects using chip-scale packaging with advanced materials and metallurgy.

I believe managment cared.
Pros
there were ample seasonal functions, a nice cafe and court yard too
Cons
as with any interesting job, one could expect some long workday/weeks. Contract position so short term.
Constant pay roll issues
Optics Telecommunications Test Technician (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAJuly 24, 2014
This company would get a 5 out of 5 if the pay roll would not have given me so many issues.
see resume
Technician (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 22, 2014
Bar Tester of Integrated Laser Diode and Detectors.

The Management and my co-workers is the core of this company.
Productive and Fun workplace with amazing people
Temporary Receptionist/Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAMay 27, 2014
Due to the importance of the company and the production, it was a government secure company. As the front desk receptionist, you have to run any visitors names through the government program to make sure they were allowed in the secure building. Hardest part of the job was leaving (as it was only temporary).
Pros
Catered lunched
Cons
Temporary position
Interesting workplace environment
Laboratory Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAFebruary 3, 2014
Excellent Co-workers, Nice cafeteria. Free gourmet coffee!
Good people but management is weak.
Sr. PCB Fabrication and Design Eng. (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 4, 2013
Good people to work with. Management-is focused on degrees not performance or experience. A lot of departmental turf conflicts that cause loss of productivity and quality.
Pros
Good facilities and compensation.
Cons
Management battles.
Very Green company
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXJuly 25, 2013
I was in charge of two techs, very slow pace, in my last position with Navistar I was in charge of a million square feet of production facilities.
Pros
Free refreshments-Starbucks coffee
Cons
Company was too small, need a real challenge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finisar. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval