Finish Line, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,253 reviews matching the search
Pretty easy going job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 24, 2016
We are under new management so a lot of things are changing, but it's changes that have should've been already happening. The job is pretty easy just like any sales job. Assisting customers, signing people up for a FL rewards card, selling insoles/cleaners, etc. the only con with this is you constantly get asked by customers with Macy's merchandise for help which gets old considering you're in a royal blue shirt and not all black. I've been working here for a little over a year and I have little to no complaints about it. We no longer get commission only on the accessories we sale. There's a new attendance tracker which I think is kind of dumb, but once you reach 4 pts it's automatic termination. It's .5 pt for more than 5 minutes late, 1 pt for a call out, .5 pt if you're late from break and you only get a 5 minute grace period from the time you're scheduled. Hours very per person but it's part time hours. If your stats are good you can receive raises.
Pros
Fun coworkers
Cons
No commission
Part time job is fun but under paid
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 9, 2016
Finish Line is a good company for starting your first job, but if you want to be a full time employee,the company will make it difficult for you to advance. The paid is not that good starting at $8.50/hour and it will be a long time before you see a raise. Management wise I was lucky to work with a great team lead and store manager, but I have heard of not so lucky peers with irresponsible and hostile managers. My co-workers are great and make the shift fun and quick.Hardest part of the job is dealing with rude customers but you get used to it.So in a few words Finish Line is a so/so company.
Customer Service Position
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockaway, NJFebruary 15, 2016
I assisted customers with purchases. I learned how meet the differentiating needs of customers. Management held meetings at least three times a month to review goals. My co-workers were competitive in making sales which ultimately pushed employees to do their best. The hardest part of the job was selling accessories. The most enjoyable part of the job was that employees got together outside of work to go bowling.
Pros
discounts on products, benefits
Cons
not consistant in the amount of hours given to work per week, employees had little say in decision making
Micro-Managing
Manager (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILMarch 2, 2016
1- really fun, fast-paced, and meeting different people on daily basis. i have learned a lot about diversity and attitude as i interact with people on daily basis.

2- management is the downfall of this job, because there is a lot of micro-managing that leads to frustration most of the time.

3- co-workers are great and very nice, dependable and responsible.

4- i think the hardest part of the job is that you have to be on your feet for 8/h shift and really short breaks.

5- it's fun to be around people, help them with the information that you have, and also meeting different people on daily basis.
Pros
Free Items (seeding from different vendors).
Cons
compensation, and restrictions to certain benefits.
When I started working there it was a great work experience, the only thing was the management.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 15, 2016
When I started working there in September of 2014 the work experience was great I got along with the first manager I worked with as well as my co workers I was making great sales, customers liked my service, and I always got things done when needed. Everything was going great until they kept switching out managers constantly. I've worked there for a year and five months and so far the management hasn't gotten any better.
Pros
Interact with customers, tend to their needs, and I get to learn of their different cultures.
Cons
Poor Management.
Customer Oriented
Store associate (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIDecember 28, 2015
This job complimented me as I am a great customer service provider. I learned how to take my skills to the next level by figuring out what each client wanted and what best matched their needs. My co-workers were competitive and always pushed me to be better, and my manager was friendly and flexible. The hardest part of the job was being a senior at this company, everyone looked up to you for advice, but that was the best part of this job as well. Being able to help your co-workers and have them look up to you as a leader leaves you with a feeling you take home with you everyday.
Pros
discounts
Cons
management was more of a friend than a manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJanuary 29, 2016
Good job, fun and pretty easy. The pay was not the greatest but I enjoyed working here. Great culture from management down to the normal employee's. Very close and did team bonding events outside of work. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers and theft. Their theft policy isn't the greatest.The most enjoyable part was just the job as a whole. I enjoyed working there and always looked forward to going to work.
Very team-oriented, customer-driven athletic footwear and apparel company
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Forestville, MDFebruary 10, 2016
A day at work for Finish Line can be extremely busy, or extremely monotonous, depending on the day. I learned the multiple functions needed for a sales associate to learn to become management.The co-workers there are VERY supportive, and the entire team follows a set of protocol to attempt to reach its daily sales goals. The most difficult part of the day might be when one is waiting for his or her first sale, as it is a challenging process, which can be easily overcome with patience. As somewhat of a fashion fanatic, I would say the most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know all of the wonderful merchandise they sell!
Pros
Discounts on footwear, improved sales procedures, the team
Cons
Scheduling based on seniority, sporadic workload
Easy going fun job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MAFebruary 17, 2016
a typical day at finishline would be about 2-3 associates on a shift at a time. We would sell sneakers, sneaker products and a ton of clothing brands. Usually work about a 5-6 hour shift daily.

Few things i learned while working for finishline were how to be a peoples person. i learned how to sell a product. ive learned how to be for the customer and not just the job.

Management was never was really to strong.

Co- workers made work a more team work environment rather than just a one person job. Co-workers also came into good use for questions or help with certain things.

Hardest part of the job had to be keeping track of shipment and making sure everything that we needed was there.

the most enjoyable part of the job would have to be working with new people everyday. seeing new faces an getting to interact an talk to new people an making them happy had to be the best part of my day each and everyday.
Pros
good hours, good money, flexible
Cons
shipment, management
Great place to work, awesome place to learn!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHMarch 22, 2016
Worked here for over 3 years! Started off as a stock guy, came in to a mess of a stock room. Cleaned it up, organized it, and maintained it. Took me a little over 6 months to receive a promotion to an Assistant Manager. Loved dealing with costumers and associates,and doing all other job duties. Was offered my 3rd promotion after 2 years, turned it down because it required me to move. Just bought my first home so that was out of the question. Left because I was about to get married and wanted a full time position that would net me a steady scheduled.
keep track of all new release
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJanuary 6, 2016
Great environment for young high school and college kids but just not a ideal workplace for young professional who are looking to climb the corporate ladder. Low pay long hours and a highly stressful environment which you expect doing any retail job but a lack of leadership and management
Pros
discount
Cons
long hours low pay
productive workplace
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXFebruary 29, 2016
great company for advancement. My first job that I was able to progress in the company.

Management and co-workers made the job a great place to work.
Fun work place although most of the time unorganized...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2016
Management Wasnt the best, based off of what they pay plus and without commission isnt enough to make a living being a part time sales associate with no hours. The job requirements were selective to whom the manager felt should follow. Co-workers and overall work place was typical,theres the good bad and the ugly (attitude wise) but at the end of the day we were all there to do our job. I did learn that there is a different attitude given for every situation and how to deal with them. I also learned what is required as a manager due to my observation of when the corp.came in and showed what it takes. The best Part was meeting people, making connections,and being refreshed on goods and services properly.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
pay
Manager
Manager In Training (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXOctober 7, 2015
Very up pace industry. Managing a lot of young people and up and down seasons in the year with different challenges and goals. A great industry to start a career in management. Your learn a lot about hard work, goals, standard, scheduling, multi tasking, delegating, and business management.
Pros
Benefits, busy, ladder of opportunities
Cons
not enough time, if your not busy you cant control it
Day at Finish Line
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 28, 2016
I have grown to become aware of how to not only push me to do my best, but to bring out the best in others. I have learned to watch out for others and lead each individual, to drive sales and have an efficient day at Finish Line.
Pros
great benefits, hours, social environment, ability to move up in the company
Cons
minimal breaks
Very Busy
Great employment discounts
Fun work place
Learning about each merchandise
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  9501 Arlington ExpwyJune 10, 2016
A typical day at work was trying to get the job done. What i learned about working here was having to open myself up instead of being shy. This job helped me interact with customers so i could better my communication skills. Management was great. They always made sure if you needed help, they were always following you to make sure you got what you needed. My Co-Workers were great. They helped me learn about each product more so i could get a better understanding of what was what. The hardest part of the job was trying to persuade customers into buying certain things that would be great for the merchandise. You worked for commission as well but if you lacked communication, it was hard to talk somebody into purchasing certain things. Overall, i had a great time working for this company. I had the chance to learn a little bit more about shoes and how to talk to customers.
Pros
Litttle hours
Cons
The shoes i could get on discount
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 26, 2016
Finish line is a great company They had a great work life balance, pretty much work with you on the schedule each week. Its your typical retail job so your commission depends on how the day is going, back to school and holidays is when you make all of your money, But other than that it was a good place to work.
Pros
Good work enviorment, Great work life balance
Cons
Not tomany finish line stores in my area so not alot of oprortunity for growth, hourly pay could be a little better or atleast more commision off of a sale.
Fun fastpaced work enviroment
Sales (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAOctober 21, 2015
A typical work day at this company was filled with fun, an upbeat environment, and enjoyable customers.

I learned how to approach customers and complete sales.

Management was great they were very accommodating.

My coworkers were nice; we were a team, but we were also very competitive.

The hardest part of the job was trying to coordinate my schedule with another job I had.

The most enjoyable part of the job was successfully meeting my goals.
Good company to work for...
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kenner, LAJune 6, 2016
I was a team lead at my local finish line Macy's. I really liked the job and I really feel it is a good company to work for if you are in a management position like I was. I recieved a very good hourly wage (above 12$/hr) and full benefits. I was coming from a hospitality background so I love working with people and making them happy. I loved learning about the Finish Line business and more about the different shoes and insoles that they sell. The only down fall like with any other job is other co workers. I had more issues with the Macy's co workers be catty. I had an employee for finish line who was just awful and felt she could do anything she wanted. Come in late, clock in and leave. Needless to say she lost her job. Other than that, this is a good company to work for IF you are seeking a management position. Sales associate positions are not worth wild, atleast not for me. I would still be there if medical issues did not arise. You get a 30% discount that starts on your first day but can only be used at the main Finish Line.