Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Fire Mountain Gems and Beads Employee Reviews in United States

Stand up Company, Great Career Opprotunity
Distribution Center Employee (Current Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORNovember 13, 2015
I have worked for Fire Mountain Gems for over 10 years. In fact each month they have 4-5 employees that either get their 10 year diamond ring or 20 year ruby ring as a thank you for their dedication. That alone speaks for the long term career opprotunities there are at Fire Mountain Gems. Fire Mountain is a great place for anyone to grow, if you have a good work ethic and drive. I have grown leaps and bounds with this company which not only makes me a more valuable employee for Fire Mountain but more valuable for other companies if I ever wanted to take that route. They offer so many benefits including: full paid health, dental, vision, matching 401k, costco cards, company paid lunches,company funded employee appreciation days, holiday gifts for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and paid training if requested. They have always been flexible with scheduling (Expecially with school schedules, even if what you are going for doesn't involve a future with Fire Mountain). As any company that wants to stay ahead there are many changes, but these are to keep up with the ever changing business world and new technology. If you don't like changing up tasks and prioirties, Fire Mountain is not for you (actually no credible business if for you). Every department in the Distribution Center has key performance indicators and all actions are based off those, so favorites is in the eye of the beholder. With a company as large as Fire Mountain Gems you are going to have many different personalities which does cause drama sometimes. The managers have always seemed to stop any drama brought  more... to the work floor that could affect job performance or any that created a hostile work enviroment. Fire Mountain has many different tools and equipment to help get the job done, and all of these have rigorous training that happens before you even touch the tools or equipment. I had to review Fire Mountain after reading a few of these reviews. To many times on the these sites you only hear the bitter employees that have either been fired or didn't get everything they wanted. Are there things that pop up that need to be fixed or changed, yeah but I have always seen them address these in a way that benefits the employees and the company. From what I have seen if you are looking for a carreer with a credible company that values hard work and drive Fire Mountian is the place for you. If you aren't flexible, can't take direction and want everything handed to you when you don't follow procedures or rules, move along and good luck.  less
It's a paycheck
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORSeptember 22, 2015
Where to start with Fire Mountain, hmm let me start off with the few good things. There are some of the most genuine and kind people within the company. They have right around 500 employees year round, which is awesome they employ that many in our little town. It was a paycheck for 5 years. The bads : high turn around time- they go through employees like a daily change of underwear. It's like going to high school all over again between the rumors, drama, clicks, break ups, who was with who. My lead and coordinator put papers up to block their faces so they could gossip. If it wasn't for being able to have one ear bud in to listen to music to drown out the drama I would have lost it multiple times. They play favorites, and if they don't like you it won't be long till you're either moved to a different department or fired. I worked my butt off for my whole department while getting no credit for it at all. I picked up all the slack, was always in between the bead bunker, product management, accounting, inventory control, and the vault dealing with issues then coming back to my department to get told I'm not working efficiently enough and I needed to do more, or I socialize too much. But I was the only person a lot of people felt like they could open up to about their issues and get help fixing them. The manager was a joke! Talk about spineless, two faced, and if he was intimidated he'd let you know. He never directly dealt with the issues within the department, you could tell him a million and a half times and nothing would get done. But the second you went to his supervisor then  more... s*** would hit the fan. I went thru two pregnancies and worked up to the day I gave birth with nobody ever making an exception. I pushed and pulled fully stacked pallets and getting help or asking anybody for help was a huge no-no. They still expected me to run the hyster all throughout both pregnancies and in my second pregnancy when my certification expired I was told there would be no way I would get the approval for recertification because I was pregnant so basically just keep operating until I got caught. I chose to take an extended maternity leave after I had my second child and told HR I would definitely be interested in a part time position, they wouldn't give me part time in my department. So I was told the next time a customer service position opened they would call me. A matter of a week later there was a position on craigslist, I had yet to receive any phone call besides they wanted to know when I could bring back my badge. Ya they have employee appreciation days, food days, Christmas party, ugly jackets or vests for a Christmas gift; but it's still not worth having to deal with the horrible management.  less
Opportunities for Entry-Level Job Seekers
Communications (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, OregonFebruary 2, 2015
Good opportunity for entry or unskilled job-seekers; management often lacks core competencies and nepotism rules the culture. Not a great opportunity for skilled, experienced, professional-level employees.
Good to get experience
Designer (Current Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORJune 4, 2014
I have gotten a great opportunity to learn here. It has helped me gain work experience for a field I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get into with my current education in most places.

While it is a good place to learn, it is very difficult to get a raise or move up. All but a very select few of managers (the lower level ones have been good) really give you any attention. They are there to approve work, and you usually wait a while before you can move forward (if it's not forgotten about). They are all easy to talk to, but having them push for you in terms of a raise or tools you need seems to be forgotten as soon as you walk out of their office.

Basically every employee there is very friendly, and quite easy to get along with.
Pros
free coffee (it's pretty good!), free tea, department lunches once a month, christmas party
Cons
no sick days, strict clock in/out policy, strict badge policy
Incentive Program
Fulfillment Processor (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORDecember 19, 2013
Fire Mountain was a great company at first, but I honestly was treated badly by them and after being terminated when I was constantly complimented on my work, and promoted the day before I was fired, I created a lawsuit case against them with BOLI. I feel very betrayed by their actions and the things they said to me or about me afterwords. I was only seeking protection and they decided to fire me the victim, instead of the problem. I worked very hard for them and I feel I didn't deserve to be treated this way since I only minded my own business and worked as hard as I could for them, I avoided drama and kept to myself. I wouldn't recommend anyone work for them, honestly. It was wonderful at first, good pay, a fun job to have, you got to socilize in the warehouse, I enjoyed it for a good while. It was fast paced which I love, I work well going fast and learn quickly as well, but how they treated me was not ok.
Pros
free lunches monthly, incentive pay, good health benefits
Cons
favortism, owners don't even know how the company is really run
Production worker
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORAugust 14, 2013
Sorting and counting beads, advanced to maintaining the sorting machines in the production area,
Pros
early shift provided time with my family
Cons
can not think of any
Family Oriented, hard working business that went above and beyond for it's workers.
Customer service representative/ Reciever II (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORMay 22, 2013
I looked forward to every day. Most everyone I worked with was kind and just as hard working as I. I had great managers and everyone of them went above and beyond to ensure I had the best training. I was able to advance in less then six months. We had weekly meetings for my department just to ensure that each of us were praised and comended for our hard work. We had monthly company wide meetings which the owners most always attended. We were catored to on a monthly and sometimes weekly basis. This in my opinion was one of the best traits about the company because it is hard to find a large prosperous company who actually cares about the well being of all of its wokers. I can honestly say I always felt appreciated and even the CEO of the company knew me by name. Which says a lot about a company that has over 500 workers.
Pros
bonuses, free food, gifts, paid holidays and much much more.
Cons
health care
Growing company
Employee (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 12, 2012
A fast pace company constantly going through changes. Several opportunities to learn new concepts and areas.

2.9