Firebirds Wood Fired Grill Employee Reviews

Great at first
Hostess (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 2, 2017
It was a really great job at first, but now that I'm not there anymore I realize that the part time job consumed my life and the people that work there were super negative, some guys there sexually harassed the girls - the managers knew, and It just wasn't good. You don't even get discounted food unless your working..
Cons
No discounts, No breaks, Long hours, Managers don't really listen
Avoids the firebirds culture
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 30, 2016
Overall corporate organization is lacking, lots of planning and thought failures in features, build outs and contracts.
Regionals will hire and then hold on to bad hires to look good, but dump any one who may voice a contradicting opinion if they aren't secure from tenure
Not very much consideration given to work/life balance, schedules, benefits or compensation.
Overall a nice place to work.
Server (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 3, 2016
I learned to cooperate with all types of people. My co-workers always assisted each other in times of need. The hardest part of the job was not always having the chance to eat during a double shift, though the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet so many wonderful guests who truly appreciated our service.
Fantastic place to begin a world of great food and fine dining. Great atmosphere too.
Bartender/Server/Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, AL / Omaha, NEDecember 6, 2016
I love this job. Been with them for over 3 years. Only been serving for 5 years. Best decision to apply here. I like bartending the best!
Growth concept
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 29, 2017
Great concept and decent upper management. I enjoyed the food. Service standards are good. Pay is fair and bonus is above average. Chef needs to be strong to succeed.
Pros
growth
Cons
unstable management
A very classy establishment with great staff and food.
Hostess & Guest Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 3, 2017
I learned a lot working here. It was my first real job that included training others. The management was stellar here, as well as the staff.
worst job ever
Guest Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 29, 2017
I was always yelled at for stuff my coworkers did. managers seemed to not like me. some days were fun. but other days just seemed long a drowsy.
Very good company
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALAugust 17, 2016
Firebirds treat their coworkers like family. They work around your schedule and if you have any accidents. I really recommend working here especially is your in school. Plenty of money to be made there.
Pros
They're flexible
Good Customers, Great Food, Fun People, Manipulative Management
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 11, 2017
Typical Day: Check in, wait for tables, help out other servers, complete side work, serve tables as they come in, clean up your section, turn in your money and receive your tips, leave.
Learned: Difference between treatment of managers to servers vs. managers to cooking staff. The value of charisma as a tipped employee.
Management: Constant conflict between managers, front of house managers do not accept doctors notes to excuse absence even if the cause is diarrhea and vomiting. Constant distrust. Was told not to come in again if I had to call out to take my three month old daughter to the doctors office for the first time, even though it was a shift someone dropped.
Culture: College kids and long time waiter/waitresses. Competitive environment, a lot of conflict and stress, gossip between waiters and a teacher:class clown::management:server relationship throughout.
Hardest Part of the job: waiting for tables to leave after paying
Most Enjoyable: Cash out the door every night
Pros
Half price lunch or dinner before or after work only, warm environment
Cons
No breaks, non tipping customers, high price point, lack of variety among dishes
Fast paced competitive environment
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 9, 2016
I truly enjoy being a part of this fast growing, fast paced extremely competitive company. The executive team is always readily available and always willing to teach/answer any questions the operations team may have. The operations teams are always set up for success with all tools required to do the job from the top down.
Pros
5 day work weeks, opportunity for advancement

Want to know more about Firebirds Wood Fired Grill?

Ask a question
Alright, but not my favorite!
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 23, 2015
I enjoyed working at Firebirds. I liked making relationships with the friendly customers that came in. When it got busy, the manager would always come over to us and complain even when we couldn't do anything to fix the situation. He was rude to customers. I would recommend this job to anyone who is just in college/high school looking for a temporary job.
One of the best corporate restaurants out there.
BOH KEY (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZAugust 10, 2015
Great company to work for, consistency, quality and organization are huge aspects of the culture. They have systems in place for almost everything that you encounter in your day. Quality of food is extremely high, great style of service and execution of food. Management is there to help, the chefs are great leaders and are there to coach, lead and support you.
Pros
Great work atmosphere, great skills to pick up . consistent.
Cons
pay is not competetive.
Poorly executed and organized
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMay 8, 2015
BOH does a typical 11-14 a day, FOH Managers do 9-12 hours a day
Pros
Can learn to butcher, llots of time and work with excel and if you want to move up from casual service
Cons
Unclear in the market, not very well organized from corporate down, kind of cheapskates
Fine Dining establishment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 27, 2015
A typical day at work for a hostess at Firebirds Woodfired Grill would be to answer phones to take reservations and answer any questions possible, greet guests with a bright smile, and provide good guest assistance when necessary.
The management staff as well as my coworkers were very effective in answering any questions I had, and they always made me feel comfortable and made my experience working there much more enjoyable.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry guests, but using my people skills and good communication usually made them enjoy their experience at the restaurant and helped lighten their mood.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the guests smile and enjoy my company while walking them to their seats or answering their questions, as well as working with my coworkers and managers whom I have made good friendships with.
Unfair Treatment
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJanuary 21, 2015
Managers do not care about employees needs, they would rather continue doing whatever they are doing than help an employee. They are rude and do not schedule employees fairly. One employee was hired after some other employees and within the first week got double as many shifts as someone who had been there for months. Also, the money is terrible.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Bad hours, Hosts get no breaks, Boring
A fun work environment to be apart of
Server (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 28, 2014
I have always enjoyed my job at Firebirds it is one of the few places i have had the pleasure to work at that truly signifies a giant family. The help i can receive on a regular basis from fellow co-workers is like nothing i have ever experienced before, never taking even a moment to think about saying no, but rather jumping to help. I have learned how to fine tune my multitasking skills as well as my customer satisfaction rating. I have worked hard and can passionately say that I excel at my job in the service industry.
Typical restaurant experience with better tips
Server (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 5, 2014
As with every food industry business, the people who exclude others, treat peers poorly, call into work hungover, sleep with management, and are just down right bad people get promoted, while the people who should be try to get the attention of the higher ups until they realize there is no point. The tips are by far the best in town (that I've experienced). Average 21%, with wealthier clientele and higher priced menu items. So I suppose that makes it worth it.
Great food and a great place to be.
Server (Current Employee) –  Moorestown, NJMarch 10, 2014
Firebirds is a great place to go for lunch with business or at night to celebrate someone's birthday, job promotion etc. I learned here that teamwork is key. Everyone helps out each other to help one get a step ahead in great customer service. The people that I work with are awesome and just as eager as I am to learn more.

I love just being around a constant change of people and personalities. You meet so many amazing people being in this business.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Long hours and never sure how much you're going to make.
It was a great learning experience
Hostess- Sat (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAApril 4, 2013
I would typically work about 30 hours a week as a hostess. I learned how to serve different types of customers and how to memorize different types of meals. My co-workers and I became very close. We were like a family, we always had each others backs. The most enjoyable part of the job was the diverse crowds of people you got the opportunity to meet and talk with on a day to day basis. The hardest part of the job was always being on your feet for many hours everyday and not always knowing how many hours you may be working that day or how much money you may walk away with at the end of the night.
Pros
good tips, many different types of people
Cons
bad tips, working many hours and no break
Great place to work wonderful Fast paced atmosphere
Server, Guest Assistant (Current Employee) –  WoodbridgeDecember 9, 2013
My day consisted of taking and placing food orders for guests maintaining side-work and cleanliness of the restaurant as well as helping out my fellow servers. I learned a great deal on how to multitask and prioritize my duties to maximize my cash flow. Management is wonderful and is understanding when it comes to emergencies. The hardest part of the job is definitely the unpredictability of how many guests will actually come to the restaurant and how a table will tip. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the guest and having them experience great food and a great atmosphere.
Pros
Half priced meals, really great food
Cons
Sometiemes no breaks when scheduled as a double.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9