Fireman's Fund Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Fireman's Fund no longer exists
Product Director (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAAugust 18, 2017
Fireman's Fund as an actual entity no longer exists Parent company, Allianz, allowed it to die a slow death. Employees remained committed throughout all the changes.
Pros
Excellent training, excellent co-workers
Cons
It's gone!
A great company to work for.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2017
Worked at the company for over 14 year. I was paid fairly. Company has great benefits, like $1 for $1 match for 401K, generous paid time off, good health, dental and vision insurance.
Pros
Enjoyed working there, staff is very professional.
Cons
Parent Company assumed leadership which led to layoffs
Miss the team at Fireman's Fund
Compliance Manager on-site (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAJuly 26, 2017
Amazing leadership at FFIC! I was offered such wonderful opportunities and meet some of the greatest HR minds. I thank them for the consistent challenge that only made me a stronger HR Professional. I really loved this company, it's mission and the people.
One of the great insurance brands in the United States
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAJune 28, 2017
Fireman's Fund was founded in San Francisco in 1877 and operated as a leading property and casualty insurer until it was placed into run-off by its parent company, Allianz.
Very positive and comfortable
Claims Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Earth City, MOJune 22, 2017
I start my day working my own accounts and continue throughout the day until I have completed them. I take an hour or 30 minute lunch depending on what time I want to leave for the day. I pretty much work alone with my own accounts each day to sum it up. Management is good if you need them they are there to help. The hardest part of my job was to stay focused when setting up accounts. I enjoyed each day the majority of it. I worked around nice people and had a fun young supervisor.
It’s a nice place to work somewhat fun depending on your fellow employees. Its growth depending on what you’re looking to accomplish in your career path. I have a choice to work remote for personal appointments. The hours are great the longer you’re here and also fine when you start not too bad.
Pros
Company gatherings
Cons
Leave early
Sadden By the Sale of this great company
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 3, 2017
Everyday was truly awesome
in 7 years I learned the ends and outs of Personal Insurance
Management Sharp and dedicated to this company
The hardest part of the job being laid off
The most enjoyable was being an employee at FFIC
Pros
Working at FFIC
Cons
The parking downtown, it was very expensive
Excellent company
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 3, 2017
Enjoyed my 3 1/2 years with this company. I learned the adjuster trade in construction defect. The people were a good group to work with. Work life balance was very good. Benefits were very good. Advancement opportunities were minimal since the employees stay with the company whereby there is no place to move up.
Pros
Beneits, work life balance
Cons
Advancement opportunities were minimal
Fireman's Fund
Sr. Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 26, 2017
A wonderful place to work, great people to work with. Close to home and flexibility was awesome! Managers were accessible and supervisors the best. The most enjoyable part of the job was you didn't not want to go to work. The worst part was that the company was dissolved.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Company dissolved
Great company with solid management and work ethic.
Team Leader, Claims Dept (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTApril 10, 2017
FFIC provided a solid work environment with knowledgeable and progressive management. During my 25 years I grew with the company as they implemented a Claims Call Center in the Hartford region and expanding nationwide.
Our staff needed to work independently and multi-task during their work day. It was a demanding environment but rewarding when our team lead the country in processing.
Fireman's Fund respected their employees and compensated accordingly.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Demanding environment
Challenging position.
HPR Fire Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2017
Working with Risk Managers to improve protection of their facilities around the country including various types of manufacturing clients.
Tell us what is going on
IT Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAJanuary 30, 2017
I worked as an IT business analyst at FFIC. Senior management did not keep us informed of how our work impacted the company and eventually would lead to layoffs.
Fireman's Fund Insurance Company Review
Account Specialist - Commercial Insurance (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNJanuary 3, 2017
This place will always have a special place in my heart as I learned the insurance industry ropes here. I started in personal lines and transitioned to property/casualty half way through my tenure. Management was very encouraging and supportive, always willing to listen!
Pros
Employee discount in cafe, on-site daycare and health club facilities
Cons
Job growth
Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 23, 2016
Fireman's Fund values their employees. Good work life balance and compensated fairly. typical work hours, plenty of time off. Company closed in December 2015.
Very good place to work
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Liberty Corner, NJJuly 12, 2016
Rating accounts, process mvrs, loss analysis, process endorsements and issue policies. Assist Underwriter with quoting. Maintaining underwriting files. Assist Broker to resolve issues.

Management was great at identifying employees strength and giving positive feedback which was helpful in performing one's job.

Co-workers were great everyone worked well together, we all worked as a team.

The accounts I worked on were Nursing Home Program, the Brokers were quite demanding at times; but because of my experience and relationship with them, I was able to resolve their issues.

I loved working with the larger accounts and learning all about the companies that I serviced.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Company changed locations
Company was bought out
Senior Property Claims Examiners (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 26, 2016
I worked at FFIC for a approx 60 days prior to the buy out.

Very difficult to rate as most went into panic mode post the announcement.

Cut throat environment with minimal to 0 training - computer systems were very difficult by their own admission, but no changes were ever made.

Many worked from home reporting to management in different states - no unity or team environment and again once the buy out was announced the atmosphere was quite back stabby.
Pros
Cons
Unstable
Poor management; rigid and not open to new ideas or risk
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAMarch 1, 2016
I left after only only one year because I felt upper management was not able to innovate and adjust to the quick and exciting growth of IT. Visa was a much better place to work for those in the IT industry.
Pros
Lower management starting to change when I was there for the better
Cons
Upper management not able to change with the times
Productive, chsllenging, fun
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 4, 2015
A great company to work for, we were all more then co-workers we were family. My 10 years there were the best yet. The lay off made me feel like I lost a Family. However maybe this means something new and better is coming. Really looking forward to finding something new and fun with great opportunities.

Typical day started with coffee and then running report and balancing cash of prior date. Processing vouchers and answering any questions from Internal & External customers. Customer Service get singed on to phones and start taking calls to assist our customers with billing questions.
Pros
great coworkers & great pay
Cons
Company closed our Dallas Office, nothing else
This was a productive workplace with hard-working emplyees
Contract Digital Content Publisher (Former Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 21, 2015
I enjoyed the employee spirit and company loyalty. The workplace culture was somewhat restrictive, with certain topics and references frowned-upon.
The initial manager was not supportive. The second manager was very supportive. I was let go at the end of the year, while other, previous employees were kept on as contractors to finish the project.
Pros
Flex hours, friendly people, loyal workplace culture.
Cons
Restrictive workplace culture, some social biases.
Great Company Excellent Service
Inland Marine / Property Senior Marine Underwriter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2015
Great Company with excellent working environment. Great management team. Always willing to teach and expand knowledge base.
Very good before restructuring
finance manager (Current Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 2, 2015
Very good company to work for before restructuring. Half the business has since been sold and the other half acquired by a sister company, so the company no longer exists as it once did.
Pros
flexibility, work life balance, great campus - before restructure
Cons
Company has been resturctured, no longer exists