Fireman's Fund Insurance Company Employee Reviews in United States

Very good place to work
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Liberty Corner, NJJuly 12, 2016
Rating accounts, process mvrs, loss analysis, process endorsements and issue policies. Assist Underwriter with quoting. Maintaining underwriting files. Assist Broker to resolve issues.

Management was great at identifying employees strength and giving positive feedback which was helpful in performing one's job.

Co-workers were great everyone worked well together, we all worked as a team.

The accounts I worked on were Nursing Home Program, the Brokers were quite demanding at times; but because of my experience and relationship with them, I was able to resolve their issues.

I loved working with the larger accounts and learning all about the companies that I serviced.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Company changed locations
Company was bought out
Senior Property Claims Examiners (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 26, 2016
I worked at FFIC for a approx 60 days prior to the buy out.

Very difficult to rate as most went into panic mode post the announcement.

Cut throat environment with minimal to 0 training - computer systems were very difficult by their own admission, but no changes were ever made.

Many worked from home reporting to management in different states - no unity or team environment and again once the buy out was announced the atmosphere was quite back stabby.
Pros
Cons
Unstable
Poor management; rigid and not open to new ideas or risk
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAMarch 1, 2016
I left after only only one year because I felt upper management was not able to innovate and adjust to the quick and exciting growth of IT. Visa was a much better place to work for those in the IT industry.
Pros
Lower management starting to change when I was there for the better
Cons
Upper management not able to change with the times
Productive, chsllenging, fun
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 4, 2015
A great company to work for, we were all more then co-workers we were family. My 10 years there were the best yet. The lay off made me feel like I lost a Family. However maybe this means something new and better is coming. Really looking forward to finding something new and fun with great opportunities.

Typical day started with coffee and then running report and balancing cash of prior date. Processing vouchers and answering any questions from Internal & External customers. Customer Service get singed on to phones and start taking calls to assist our customers with billing questions.
Pros
great coworkers & great pay
Cons
Company closed our Dallas Office, nothing else
Great Company Excellent Service
Inland Marine / Property Senior Marine Underwriter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2015
Great Company with excellent working environment. Great management team. Always willing to teach and expand knowledge base.
Very good before restructuring
finance manager (Current Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 2, 2015
Very good company to work for before restructuring. Half the business has since been sold and the other half acquired by a sister company, so the company no longer exists as it once did.
Pros
flexibility, work life balance, great campus - before restructure
Cons
Company has been resturctured, no longer exists
Great Experience
Personal Insurance Underwriting Associate (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILAugust 10, 2015
We worked in a customer service type environment with elements of underwriting. Management was thorough. The daily tasks could vary & be demanding.
Pros
Management Team
Cons
No room for upward movement
Great Company/ Great Benefits./ Great Staff
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TexasJuly 28, 2015
A typical work day consist with receiving our daily assignments from the regional offices. I have learned the in's and out's of Personal Insurance line of business. Management very caring and easy to talk to and very welled trained. My co-workers are very helpful and a joy to be around for the entire work day. The hardest part was working and a system(DOS that was created back in 1962) it was always crashing. The work load because it kept us very busy.
Pros
Great atmosphere and great Managment staff
Cons
Working Downtown Dallas, we have to pay for my own parking and Public transportation.
Productive fun place
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego CAJuly 23, 2015
All good. People very warm and the culture is the best. However, the personal lines side of it is no longer part of the parent company.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Lost compressed work week
Good Company, sad to see it go.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Corporate Headquarters, Novato, CaliforniaJuly 13, 2015
Formerly a great place to work, now being dismantled by parent company/corporate giant, Allianz Global & Specialty.

Overall a very positive experience for me, but not for everyone. Things seemed great on the surface but, I learned that just because one works hard, is loyal and a team player, does not exempt one from office politics. While I loved the people I worked with, it was impossible, at times, to avoid hearing others gossip about their coworkers. I suppose that misunderstandings and conflicts happen, but it is how one deals with such things internally that makes the difference. I tried always to remain positive and not to assume anything about anybody. Personally, I found my coworkers always welcoming, helpful and kind. They all had a lot of pride in the company, and FFIC's contributions to the community, but did not always trust the management, as it seemed to be constantly changing, due to the involvement of Allianz. Still I feel everyone did their best, with very few exceptions.

It is a shame that, after 152 years, the Fireman's Fund Insurance Company will soon cease to exist.
Fireman's fund is now AGCS
Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Home OfficeJuly 7, 2015
There are a lot of changes at this organization. I hope that the changes will have a positive impact on underwriting results. The people are the greatest and the company is full of potential.
Pros
Good benefits, great people, flexibility, able to work remotely when necessary.
Cons
Unstable environment
I started Fireman's Fund as an receptionist and worked my way up to legal secretary and legal assistant.
Staff Counsel Legal Assistant/Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 4, 2015
A typical day consisted of checking our calendar for the day for court dates, appointments, depositions,etc. The attorneys would usually dictate the evening before after work and court, and from there I would follow their instructions; upcoming tasks to be done for that day, i.e. typing interrogatories, motions, booking reservations for travel. I learned a lot about legal issues pertaining to worker's compensation. The hardest part was the winter months, walking from the train station to the office. The most enjoyable part of the job was the perks of working with attorneys, free legal advice, etc.
Pros
Free legal advice
Cons
Walking to the office from the train station.
Enjoy my co-workers
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJune 10, 2015
I have worked with many of the same co-workers for over 10 years. Management has given us the authority to make decisions on claims within our payment authority.
Good Company
Underwriting Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2015
I initially started as a temp worker and was hired on as a full-time employee within a week.

I moved to a different department within a two year time frame and had a lot of good managers that helped nurture me to sharpen my skills so I was prepared for any other position I might have wanted.

Nice place to work, I stayed there for eleven years.
Pros
Lots of employee recognition from management and coworkers
Cons
Not very many
A company which cared for the employees.
Financial Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 19, 2015
I started my day with checking my voice mail, taking notes of the calls and forward them to the assigned personnel.Ordered supplies
Updated the diaries on payments received , helped with writeoffs and commision statements.The coworkers were very friendly and hard working. The hardest part was archiving files at the end of the year. I enjoyed working and being part of a great company.
Pros
flexible and goal oriented company
Cons
too many meetings
productive and a fun place with a weight room and pool.
Marketing Consultant- (Current Employee) –  77 san Marin Dr. Novato Ca 94998April 17, 2015
I love the multi tasking in the multiple roles that I play. The management team rocks and my co-workers are fantastic. I love the customer services and working with my internal and external customers
Pros
Cafe, Dry cleaners, flexable work schedules
Cons
this job could have use another person to balance out the work
Very good Company to work for
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2015
Excellent training company, at the time many departments of which to advance......Very professional company, One of the best companies to work for...good benefits. I had many promotions within company.
Pros
very good environment for advancement
Changing times
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Bay Area and San Diego AreaMarch 12, 2015
FFIC has been faced with the realities of a changing business and organization structure. They are addressing in a professional and mindful way.
Pros
Always changing, new challenges and opportunities
Cons
Always changing - it is a duel edge sword
Great place to work. Wonderful people.
Senior Word Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJMarch 9, 2015
Worked as a transcriptionist. I really enjoyed transcribing documents and letters. All the employees were great to work with. Everything was a team effort.

Management was great.
IT Operations
IT Operations Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Typical tasks include change management, application server management, project work, server builds, application and server monitoring, research, inventory control, data protection-backups and restores.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fireman's Fund Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Fireman's Fund Insurance Company Reviews by Location