Firestone Complete Auto Care

Firestone Complete Auto Care Employee Reviews

Career
Manager (Current Employee), Murfreesboro, TNAugust 25, 2015
This is a great place to work if you would like to find a career that will promote you from within. Lots of opportunity in this large company.
good job
Automotive Technician (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXAugust 17, 2015
just slowed down and i never got sent to my alignment classes like i was told/ good management but never got helped with my ase
Great for experience, but that's about it.
Automotive Technician (Current Employee), Dothan, ALAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Independence
Cons: Will be working your life away
The hands on experience is great for someone who likes fast paced, independent Automotive servicing. Long hours and no overtime for technicians make it a frustrating place to work for. The starting pay is decent, but raises are few and far between. Overall, from what I've gathered the technicians are treated horribly while the management is praised for all the work the techs do.
long hours good pay
Store Manager (Former Employee), IllinoisAugust 15, 2015
Pros: opportunity to advance and make good money
Cons: NO work life balance
If all you want to do is work Firestone offers you opportunities to make good money and advance quickly but you must sacrifice your personal life. 50 hour work week is typical until you reach management then 60-70 is typical if you want to make good money. Not a job for someone that likes their family.
Great place to advance in knowledge and skill
Technician 1 / service advisor (Current Employee), Newhall, CAAugust 13, 2015
Pros: great team and benifits
Cons: no room for growth
Overall a Great company to work for . Since i've been here i've learned to be faster and more efficient since every job needs to be done at a fast pace . Management is good and flexible with schedule . My co-workers have been the best i've had the opportunity to work with . My favorite part of the job is interacting with the customers and being able to explain my findings . It helps them feel more comfortable when coming to a mechanic shop. Hardest part of the job is the fast pace but is something i enjoy .
Not so good...
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, MSAugust 7, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: co-workers are lazy and greedy.
My co-workers literally sat around and did absolutely nothing while I took in each customer. I also was given each customer to check out so that I never had a chance to sell anything that would reflect on my paycheck. So while I entertained the customers the other guys would watch for good tickets and then sell the tickets while I was stuck with the garbage tickets. The inability to actually get out into the shop due to the fact that I had to provide customer service(no one else was) made it impossible to make any spiff money. And then I would get a lecture about spiffs...
Looking to start my career in the Electronic Engineering Field
Technician (Current Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Great environment
Cons: pay 40
Looking to start my career in the Electronic Engineer in a good location and work with helpful and friendly people and just to happy to wake up everyday and glad to to work.
The luck of the draw
Professional Service Manager (Former Employee), WashingtonAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Overtime Available, Bonus opportunity, Full-time benefits, Paid vacation and sick time
Cons: Disconnect between corporate vision and culture and information provided to front line employees, Long work hours(most locations open 7 Days a week 362 Days per year)
Offers reasonably competitive compensation and benefits overall. Corporate Culture statements are inspiring if unrealistic due to a perpetual under-staffed condition in most locations. As is expected with a large corporate entity not all locations are the same, some are staffed with enthusiastic, friendly, and knowledgeable professionals, and are truly premier places to work, some simply are not.
Selling yourself comes first and foremost before anything else here
Service Mgr (Former Employee), Wayne, NJJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Rewarding bonus program with room for growth
Cons: Downtime, Too many levels of management and micro-management among them
Your day typically starts out around 7 or 8am where in a busy store like the one I managed in Edison customers will usually be waiting outside your door when your arrive. All the customer wants most of the time is to be treated with respect and dignity. After writing up their ticket based on the type of service being performed they will either wait or leave their vehicle with us to later be contacted on any service needs or completion of their vehicle. Upselling the customer can be a very delicate process based on the what the service originally requested. However from my extensive sales experience Ive learned that the majority of the time its really all boils down to the customer liking you in order to get the sale. My fellow associates are vital as there is so much juggling of phone calls and customers throughout the day. If we didnt work as a team the store couldnt be as successful as it was. And when customers see that bond between the staff they would often leave us a 5 star survey which was essential for further building our business. The hardest part of the day was usually when there was an extended period of downtime. Its a business that thrives on constant rotation and energy. For me the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job was seeing that customer happy and leave with a smile on their face. It let me know that I had established an olive branch to further business for my store success and my own personal success.
Enjoyable work environment as well as coworkers.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Savannah, GAJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, Good pay, Work advancement possibilities
Cons: Commute, Long hours, required use of personal car or business errands.
The job itself had some Negatives. However the environment and tone of the work environment were very well. Finally, the people really understood team work and professionalism.
FREE COFFEE
General Service Technician (Former Employee), O'Fallon, MOJuly 18, 2015
DAY GOES BY FAST AS YOU WORK CO WORKERS ARE FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL SOME DAYS ARE BUSY THAN OTHERS GET TO DEAL WITH ALL KIND OF CUSTOMERS
productive
Class C automotive technican (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2015
Pros: free lunches and good shop team
Cons: a few things
Firestone complete auto care is a good place to start off have lots of training and have fairly good benifits good way to teach how to run a functional shop my back shop was very good and made things go a lot better in the day. district manager did send alot of hate mail. other than that good company have to really work hard to get an advancement
Loved this job
Service advisor (Current Employee), Bloomfield, CTJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Great manager
Cons: some customers
I really loved working here, I enjoyed all the gusy I met and worked with. My manager was awesome and the days went bye pretty fast. The hardest part of the day was only dealing with upset customers but it was a great challenge to make them pleased agin.
good friendly environment
automotive technician (Current Employee), madison, alJuly 13, 2015
Pros: newer, more proficient equipment
Cons: not alot of buisness, long hours
firestone has a good friendly environment but they pay base of commission and the work isn't always there so not always a good steady check lots of personal problems brought to work by others
Good people to work with!
General Service tech (Current Employee), Fitchburg, WIJuly 2, 2015
I have really enjoyed my time at Firestone. This opportunity has provided a new skill set and great friends that Get to send my work day with. The Management has been so supportive of my personal and career goals.
Good experience, but a company that has unrealistic expectations and no time to get things done the right way
Automotive Technician (Former Employee), IllinoisJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Manager bought lunch, good learning experience, good benefits, cool coworkers
Cons: No breaks, no weekends off, 10-13 hour days at minimum, Always understaffed
Firestone as a whole is a successful company with good benefits that a lot of people know of and most of the time have no problem taking their cars for routine maintenance. Now, management has no problem selling tires to a customer with 6/32 or 7/32 left on their tires. They seem to pick on the people that will believe anything when they're told their car is broken. On the employment part of it, it takes forever to get hired. HR screws up pay, bonuses, loses paperwork and says it was never received, etc. at least with my experience.

Manager bought lunch pretty much everyday to try and keep technicians around which was nice, but expected them not to take a break and work a shift something like 8am-7pm everyday due to always being understaffed. When it comes to pay since technicians are paid flat rate, they start you at a low hourly rate and say "oh but if you move quick you can make lots of hours and good money!" Only downside to that is when it's slow they give you a guarantee of 75% of your clock hours when it's slow! They also will never say no to a waiting customer when the shop is piled with work as it is (stressing out techs even more by adding work to the load), they LOVE bringing in oil changes and tires so most customers only think Firestone does oil changes and tires and when it comes to repairs they normally go somewhere else cause they're told they need all this other stuff along with the repair and scare the customer by the estimate they give them.

Forget about having a life, especially on weekends, cause Firestone is open Saturday from 7-7 and Sunday – more... from 8-5 and most days you have to stay late for that straggler flat repair. They even stay open on some holidays that 80% of other company's are closed on. If you're an entry-mid level tech there's no chance of getting off weekends and they expect you to use a vacation day if you do want one off. If you want to learn from the more experienced techs like they claim you can do, it won't happen cause they're constantly bringing in oil changes and tires for you to do so you don't have time to learn.

Overall Firestone is a good company to learn from, most fellow technicians are fun to work with, and the benefits are good. but should it be a long term career path? Most likely not, unless you're a lead technician or a manager. – less
If you like to rip people off, this is the place for you
Manager in Training (Former Employee), Overland Park, KansasJune 30, 2015
Pros: Free trip to Chicago
Cons: Teach you to scam customers, they hate when you disagree
I was hired in as a Manager in Training. Started 3 weeks before the training class in Chicago was held, so I got some experience in the store before the classroom. Was taught how to do most things on computer, ie. look up and assign work orders to be done, set up customer tickets, basic stuff like that. After a few hours, you can pretty much figure out what you are looking for. Spent time each week unloading the tire truck, which is a pain, since the store I was at, stocked all tires UPSTAIRS! So, that was a hassle.

Was sent to Chicago for a three day training program. Everything was going great, until we started the hands on part. The training teacher called a woman up front, and using a program that mimicked our service computer, had her draw up a ticket for a customer repair. It was a simple tune up. Long story short, she gets walked thru the whole process (I was the only one of about 10 people in the class, who had been working in a store already), and the trainer uses a whole different way than I was taught, to enter a tune up in the computer. The way he showed us, was as easy as I had been taught, the only difference? He made it model specific. When I was taught, I was taught to use a standard tune up, which was like 100.00 more than the one that is specific to the actual car model in the shop. During our dinner that night, the training person came down to the bar with us, and I brought this up. He seemed really concerned, and told me I should bring it up with my GM when I get back to my store. The next day, I kept finding more and more ways that my – more... GM was using higher priced repairs in the system, and having basic work done. I brought it up again, and TWO people who were leading the class, said you should for sure bring this up! Soooo, I go back to my store a few days later, and was feeling just way too uncomfortable to bring this up, being so new. I mean, I know that the GM was just adding to his bottom line, and I was sure that is how he achieved his Managing Partner status.

I never brought it up. But..three days after I got back, the DM, and the GM are there before my shift starts, and ask me to come back into the GMs office. I walk back there, and they confront me with a story that I was in Chicago telling everyone how my boss was doing things wrong, and teaching the wrong way to do things, and that I was saying he was training us to rip people off. Now, I NEVER said those things. All I told my trainers was that I was taught things differently. The DM told me to take the rest of the day off, and that the GM and I would talk more tomorrow. I went home, not feeling good about the convo, and came back the next morning. As soon as I walked into the sales floor, the GM calls me back to his office. He says, "We decided that it's best that we just go ahead and part ways". I was shocked, and mad, so I just walked out. But, before I walked out, he made sure to tell me...."We decided, that you can go ahead and keep you signing bonus". ( I was hired in being told I would make $40K a year, but I was brought on for $39,500 with a $500 sign on bonus) WOW! Thanks Firestone!! – less
5 or more days a week. 55 plus hours a week. good hard work.
General Technician (Former Employee), austin, txJune 25, 2015
mainly do lube changes and tire changes and alignments and brake jobs. if you are not bad at that and seem to make good decisions and proper recommendations and are willing to learn more and fix more, then you will succeed easy enough. but its hard work. fast paced and lots to do. of course, this will depend on the location. i worked off of RM 620 and 183. great coworkers, great managers. sometimes there are hic ups between the mechanics and salesman and customer. but thats corporate law so yea. hardest part is a 12-14 plus hour day with a 30 min lunch. im sure it depends on the location, but our guys would smoke, snack, eat, joke around plenty throughout the day. if you think your gonna stand around and get paid for scratching your rear end, go work in a department store. best part is being a mechanic and having a trade skill, working with good people, and just plain fixing stuff. oh yea, you get a base pay, or you get paid per flag hour. if there are no customers in a week, you get paid, just not as much. if there are lots of customers, you make more money. im not sure about the benefits and if your not an idiot, you have job security.
Always something new
Service manager (Current Employee), Newburgh, NYJune 23, 2015
Typical day at work usually starts at 7 am and goes to about 5, everything is non stop people coming in the door cars coming and going. Most of the co workers are very nice to work with. Hardest part of my job is telling someone what thier car needs to be safe. The most enjoyable part of my job is talking to someone new every day
Poor Management and orginaztional skills
AutomotiveTtechnician (Current Employee), Cape Coral, FLJune 20, 2015
Cons: NO respect for Employees, Poor managment and organization skills
There is a large lack of respect for the employees. Management is always changing and making new rules.. Working conditions are very poor. They need to update the stores equiptment
Links