Firestone Complete Auto Care

Firestone Complete Auto Care Employee Reviews

If you like to rip people off, this is the place for you
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KansasJune 30, 2015
I was hired in as a Manager in Training. Started 3 weeks before the training class in Chicago was held, so I got some experience in the store before the classroom. Was taught how to do most things on computer, ie. look up and assign work orders to be done, set up customer tickets, basic stuff like that. After a few hours, you can pretty much figure out what you are looking for. Spent time each week unloading the tire truck, which is a pain, since the store I was at, stocked all tires UPSTAIRS! So, that was a hassle.

Was sent to Chicago for a three day training program. Everything was going great, until we started the hands on part. The training teacher called a woman up front, and using a program that mimicked our service computer, had her draw up a ticket for a customer repair. It was a simple tune up. Long story short, she gets walked thru the whole process (I was the only one of about 10 people in the class, who had been working in a store already), and the trainer uses a whole different way than I was taught, to enter a tune up in the computer. The way he showed us, was as easy as I had been taught, the only difference? He made it model specific. When I was taught, I was taught to use a standard tune up, which was like 100.00 more than the one that is specific to the actual car model in the shop. During our dinner that night, the training person came down to the bar with us, and I brought this up. He seemed really concerned, and told me I should bring it up with my GM when I get back to my store. The next day, I kept finding more and more ways that my
  more... GM was using higher priced repairs in the system, and having basic work done. I brought it up again, and TWO people who were leading the class, said you should for sure bring this up! Soooo, I go back to my store a few days later, and was feeling just way too uncomfortable to bring this up, being so new. I mean, I know that the GM was just adding to his bottom line, and I was sure that is how he achieved his Managing Partner status.

I never brought it up. But..three days after I got back, the DM, and the GM are there before my shift starts, and ask me to come back into the GMs office. I walk back there, and they confront me with a story that I was in Chicago telling everyone how my boss was doing things wrong, and teaching the wrong way to do things, and that I was saying he was training us to rip people off. Now, I NEVER said those things. All I told my trainers was that I was taught things differently. The DM told me to take the rest of the day off, and that the GM and I would talk more tomorrow. I went home, not feeling good about the convo, and came back the next morning. As soon as I walked into the sales floor, the GM calls me back to his office. He says, "We decided that it's best that we just go ahead and part ways". I was shocked, and mad, so I just walked out. But, before I walked out, he made sure to tell me...."We decided, that you can go ahead and keep you signing bonus". ( I was hired in being told I would make $40K a year, but I was brought on for $39,500 with a $500 sign on bonus) WOW! Thanks Firestone!!
Pros
Free trip to Chicago
Cons
Teach you to scam customers, they hate when you disagree
Good experience, but a company that has unrealistic expectations and no time to get things done the right way
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 1, 2015
Firestone as a whole is a successful company with good benefits that a lot of people know of and most of the time have no problem taking their cars for routine maintenance. Now, management has no problem selling tires to a customer with 6/32 or 7/32 left on their tires. They seem to pick on the people that will believe anything when they're told their car is broken. On the employment part of it, it takes forever to get hired. HR screws up pay, bonuses, loses paperwork and says it was never received, etc. at least with my experience.

Manager bought lunch pretty much everyday to try and keep technicians around which was nice, but expected them not to take a break and work a shift something like 8am-7pm everyday due to always being understaffed. When it comes to pay since technicians are paid flat rate, they start you at a low hourly rate and say "oh but if you move quick you can make lots of hours and good money!" Only downside to that is when it's slow they give you a guarantee of 75% of your clock hours when it's slow! They also will never say no to a waiting customer when the shop is piled with work as it is (stressing out techs even more by adding work to the load), they LOVE bringing in oil changes and tires so most customers only think Firestone does oil changes and tires and when it comes to repairs they normally go somewhere else cause they're told they need all this other stuff along with the repair and scare the customer by the estimate they give them.

Forget about having a life, especially on weekends, cause Firestone is open Saturday from 7-7 and Sunday
  more... from 8-5 and most days you have to stay late for that straggler flat repair. They even stay open on some holidays that 80% of other company's are closed on. If you're an entry-mid level tech there's no chance of getting off weekends and they expect you to use a vacation day if you do want one off. If you want to learn from the more experienced techs like they claim you can do, it won't happen cause they're constantly bringing in oil changes and tires for you to do so you don't have time to learn.

Overall Firestone is a good company to learn from, most fellow technicians are fun to work with, and the benefits are good. but should it be a long term career path? Most likely not, unless you're a lead technician or a manager.
Pros
Manager bought lunch, good learning experience, good benefits, cool coworkers
Cons
No breaks, no weekends off, 10-13 hour days at minimum, Always understaffed
Low Pay, Too Many Hours, Open Sunday
Service and Store Manager (Former Employee) –  South Central ZoneMay 16, 2012
I worked for Firestone for 3 years. Advancement in my specific geographic area was very limited, as Store Managers all have been with the company for over 10 years. Most district staff had unobtainable goals set by men that haven't worked in a shop for 30 years. Being open on Sundays (and obviously Saturday) meant zero real family time.

In store management training classes, we were told to not hire people based on the fact they were single parents, as they would not be dependable enough. This was the very first time I thought of getting out of the company.

The technicians that were hired were extremely young and inexperienced and it was the service managers job to teach them everything and/or do it for them for a very small hourly rate. Firestone does not pay any technician enough money to obtain or retain a REAL mechanic.

Firestone does have good policies and procedures to follow, although these were rarely enforced. There is no accountability, as you could make mistakes multiple times without any repercussions. I guess that's good for job security, but bad for the customer.

Firestone has turned into something more resembling a Kohl's or J.C. Penny's. You are told to hassle every customer to open a Firestone card just like the Kohl's and J.C. Penny's folk. They are more of a retail outlet based on high turn around rather then employee retention and loyalty.

I did not get fired or quit for any negative reason. I left Firestone because I relocated and decided to not pursue a transfer.

This is a decent place to get your feet wet in the industry, but is a dead end job for
  more... the 95% of employees that work for the company. The other 5% must stay with the company 15+ years and let others retire before any real advancement is available. Knowing people in higher places helps too, as one store manager that was going to be fired in our district relocated to another district where he personally knew the district manager. He was promoted to assistant district manager within a few months.

No one was ever given or scheduled a lunch break, especially those selling team mates. The store was never staffed enough to logistically plan a lunch break. The store was always too busy to leave one person alone and be eaten by the wolves. You worked by yourself for 9-10 hours on Sunday with zero breaks.
Pros
job security, good employee tire prices
Cons
no breaks, no advancement, low pay, high turn over, unobtainable goals
No Career Advancement. Work at a dealership!!!!
technician (Former Employee) –  new orleans, laFebruary 7, 2013
A typical day would include the least desirable qualities expected from ANY company. Stores are poorly staffed, technicians are poorly qualified to perform any automotive repair beyond tire installation and oil changes, managers push technicians beyond permissable times for auto repair, Firestone claims their flat rate is based upon Mitchell and it is not so the technician gets screwed on pay, lunch breaks are about five minutes long(if you get the chance to take that long) and most of the shop equipment is broken and not calibrated. Customers who drop their car off usually get pushed back by "waiting" customers, so there really isn't a "first come first served" service being performed. District staff cares only about "the numbers"--how many tires sold, service sales and productivity of techs, etc. You can forget about "productivity" as a technician simply because you are scheduled more than 50+ hours a week and you will be lucky if you can "flag" anything above 30 hrs. Which means you will earn approximately $10 to 12 dollars an hour after worked hrs. and flag hrs. are divided. The manager will work you into the ground each and every day. You will work every saturday for 12hrs, you will work 11hrs each weekday, and you will work on sundays. They will threaten you with a "write up" for not being productive enough which means you did not make THEM enough money that day or week. Firestone makes up the "rules" as they see fit. There is no employee handbook. So there is no career advancement what-so-ever. The lead technicians can have 20 "comebacks" every week and there is no repercussions  more... from it BUT if a lower level technician has a "comeback" for any reason, that person is chided, scolded and written-up. And usually the comebacks Firestone experiences is from poor quality parts, and is NOT the technicians' fault. I'm talking about technicians that actually know what they're doing. If you have any intelligence about life, auto repair and know how to talk to people Firestone will treat you terribly; they want people they can control and convince that Firestone is the best place to work in the world. STAY AWAY FROM FIRESTONE!!!!  less
Cons
terrible work hours, varying work schedule, uncaring management
Please think twice before you apply in the Portland Area
Former Manager (Former Employee) –  PortlandJune 13, 2012
Please think twice before applying. This company can be good, it can be AMAZING, however there are severe issues with the compensation structure. You will not be paid spiffs unless your store does more business than it did the year before. When you do qualify for Spiffs, the payout is shoddy at best and frankly you will be lucky to be paid unless you want to spend hours after work on your own time filling our forms and being consistantly fed incorrect information.

This business is fanatical about providing customer service, as long as someone is watching, sadly as a employee that moved to Firestone from outside the industry, I found that the stores are usually run by people who have awesome mechanical knowledge, and very little, if any knowledge at all about running a team, staffing a team or motivating a team. You will find yourself sometimes working the front desk for 60 hours a week. You will find yourself working over 30 days with no days off. If you are sick.. very sick, you are still expected to work. All of this with no lunches or breaks.

The upshot of this is you become very good at working in less than idea situations.

Having said that.. Firestone isnt completely bad. Most of the technicians are awesome to work with, however the greatest reward is the customers you will build relationships with. I came to work every day, consistantly excited and motivated by the customers that came by to see me. As a former employee, I miss my customers the most, and count many of them as my friends. Many of my customers have my personal phone number, and know the names of people
  more... in my family.

I wish you the best of luck in your job search. please remain strong and do not settle for a company that will decieve you, give you jobs to do without pay, never provide a lunch or break and promotes a very poor work/life balance.
Pros
this is the company that could be amazing depending on geographc area.
Cons
the only amazing thing about the portland leadership is how poor they treat you.
Experienced technicians stay away!!!!!!!!!!!
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2014
They payed me 20 per flat rate hour. They mold you into becoming a crook with their horrible lifetime warranty alignment. What technician is going to pull a car on the rack and hook up all the alignment heads and check everything and if it tests okay then say everything tested good so I don't have to adjust anything so I just did all this for free. In reality the technician is going to say that he adjusted something ie. toe or camber just so that he can make a warranty claim to get paid .6. This hurts the investors and shows what happens when someone who sits behind a desk designed something. They hire under qualified people who I didn't feel comfortable leaving tools around. Theres a horrible safety glass policy that actually makes the job more dangerous for an experienced tech. Experienced technicians know when they need safety glasses and in the hot heat of Georgia your safety glasses often sweat up and you cant see and if you dont have a free hand to wipe the glasses in the middle of working then things become dangerous. Oh another horrible policy is putting chains on the bay doors to keep customers from walking through the bay. I understand people will slip and fall and sue but why is it my responsibility to put chains up each time I pull a car in and out. I am flat rate not hourly and this wastes my valuable time.
The shop was completely outdated and so was the alignment machine. They were worried about safety glasses more than the slippery floor with random stuff just thrown everywhere....wow a little common sense can go a long way and if you hire qualified people instead
  more... of bamboozlers and brown nosers maybe you will see some progress. REMEMBER I TOOK THE TIME TO WRITE THIS SO THERE MUST BE SOME MERIT TO IT.

LOL they make you pay for your uniforms and your tool insurance
Pros
its a job
Cons
1=pay 2=management 3=facilities 4=you pay for uniforms and tool insurance
What is this "Pay" and "Personal Life" you speak of?
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORMarch 22, 2015
With 12 years experience and ASE certifications, I was paid 10-15k a year less than my previous job (which I was sadly laid of from after many years). And this was for much more fast paced, cram as many cars in as possible (don't worry about finishing) work. I was offered either flat rate or hourly...$12, because it's "better than or at least equal to industry average". I took the higher (slightly) flat rate, and it's a good thing because they pull the bait and switch and would have stuck me with 12/flat. Firestone has a cap for ALL techs, yes master techs to, of $22 and try to convince you how good this is. Industry-standard/average around here at least is 30 to 35. It is not remotely possible to be productive when you barely get started on one car and then are pulled off it to start on another one, and another.
Your scheduled shift maybe over at 5 PM, but that's no reason to think that you won't be there until 830 or 9 PM with no warning or any kind of heads up... You're just expected to be there for them. trying to take your lunch break is a joke, more than once I was there for at least 8 to 9 hours before getting mine, all 30 minutes you are allowed. But when you end up being on the clock for 80-85 hours (with no overtime pay of course) in the workweek you just might want to wait that long for it.
Between Firestone making up their own labor times to screw the tech out of being paid, and the remarkably inefficient way they operate and expect you to as well....my average take home was about $5-$6 an hour. When I was offered another job at my previous pay, I did not give notice
  more... of my leaving for the first time.  less
Pros
i really liked and enjoyed most all the people i worked with
Cons
lowest industry pay, no outside life, doing right by the customer does not matter to firestone
No Life...Just Firestone.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 15, 2013
I've worked for Firestone for 2 years and it's one of the worse places you can work for. They glamour you with all the benefits and promises when you are hired and then give you nothing in return, but struggles. I've learned that flat rate is the worst way to get paid when you have no business coming into your store, or have your uppers up front who doesn't bother to sell the things you recommend. One thing I did like is learning the trade with a master tech and the nature of the business day to day. I enjoy working on cars, but this job gives me no freedom or the pay to be with my family. I don't like the long hours I have to work just for little pay. For example..I was usually there for 55+ hours a week, but I would only flag about 40 and in the end I would only get paid for that 40 I flag. The work and pressure they put on you is not worth it, and when you make a mistake, you will never see the end of it. Asking for a promotion or even a raise is a pain. I was always on time, always do my job and stay late weather it's to help a tech finish a job or to finish a job that I was working on....in the end, it wasn't worth it. They delegate senseless tasks for you to do when it's slow and of course you are doing it for free. I've worked with multiple managers and a handful of technicians and they don't last long. I only did it to support my family, but I knew I had to move on to something much better with less stress. They expect you to pretty much live at that shop, it's how I felt when I was there. I got to know my co workers and spend more time with them than I did with my own  more... family.  less
Pros
great discounts as a teammate, fun work atmosphere (only in the shop with fellow techs), ok benefits.
Cons
pay is always low, poor management, slow business, your uppers always putting you down
Selling yourself comes first and foremost before anything else here
Service Mgr (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJuly 31, 2015
Your day typically starts out around 7 or 8am where in a busy store like the one I managed in Edison customers will usually be waiting outside your door when your arrive. All the customer wants most of the time is to be treated with respect and dignity. After writing up their ticket based on the type of service being performed they will either wait or leave their vehicle with us to later be contacted on any service needs or completion of their vehicle. Upselling the customer can be a very delicate process based on the what the service originally requested. However from my extensive sales experience Ive learned that the majority of the time its really all boils down to the customer liking you in order to get the sale. My fellow associates are vital as there is so much juggling of phone calls and customers throughout the day. If we didnt work as a team the store couldnt be as successful as it was. And when customers see that bond between the staff they would often leave us a 5 star survey which was essential for further building our business. The hardest part of the day was usually when there was an extended period of downtime. Its a business that thrives on constant rotation and energy. For me the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job was seeing that customer happy and leave with a smile on their face. It let me know that I had established an olive branch to further business for my store success and my own personal success.
Pros
Rewarding bonus program with room for growth
Cons
Downtime, Too many levels of management and micro-management among them
The inside look
Manager in training (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXMarch 17, 2015
This was an interesting job to have. Going into this industry I was well prepared for the customer service aspect starting my work experience as a server. This is one customer service job unlike any other I would think. Due to the completive nature of the automotive industry and the stigma that has been built by some of the industry’s advisors that have no conscious, I would say that I have learned a great deal and received an inside look on an industry that most do not understand. The people that I have worked with and built relationships with are great people and are trying their best to help others that do not understand the complexity of an automobile. It seems that no matter what you do the stigma is always over your head though. People will always have a fear of the unknown and since they have no understanding of automobiles it is the customer’s first reaction to jump to the conclusion that they are being swindled and taken advantage of. When in most cases that is the furthest from the truth. In most cases the advisor is doing their best to keep to consumer on the road and of the side of it. Overall I have had an amazing time and an exceptional learning experience. I have learned to overcome distrust and how to change a person’s ideas on what they want and what they need. I am however an honest person and it eats at my conscious to be automatically judged as a snake in the weeds. I will never forget the good times I have had with the good people that work in the automotive industry.
Fast paced, hot, and hard working environment.
Installer/Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ILApril 10, 2015
Honestly, probably one of the worst jobs I've ever had. I was a technician there, and it is the most corrupt place to work for. All the Service Writers get bonuses to scare selling into customers. They oversell everything the technicians write down and they sell things to customers, like tires, when they don't need them so that goes toward their bonuses. If there's a repairable nail in a tire, I'll tell them I can fix it. Then the Tire Manager will go and say it's not repairable and will blow up if they don't replace it. It's not right, its unjust, and it's every reason Firestone deserves the poor rating they get. Your pay is based on what the service writer wants to give you for work. So, if they don't like you, you're not getting that ticket to service. That's corrupt. Hours are extremely long, typically 10-12 hours on a normal day. May be more than 12 if you need to finish a car, they'll have you there all night if they could. Because, you don't get paid to be there. You're flat rate. You're only paid for the work you do. Management is overly strict, it's purely about profit and they have no room for learning. They want you as a perfect technician as soon as you start. They don't always have realistic expectations. If you can avoid working for the company, do yourself a favor. Don't.
Pros
Betterment of skills, health insurance (if full time)
Cons
Short lunch breaks/no lunch, time management is unorganized in scheduling.
oportuinty work on different makes and models if your management smart enough to handle it
lead technician (Former Employee) –  texasFebruary 2, 2015
Big business small peoples, management its terrible some of them doesn't have no knowledge how cars work some customer knows more than a your service manager every person in management position they need professional help ,employee abuse is on top priory for them for example they have lost prevention hot line you call them and they direct your call to your superior the one you trying to by pass or complain I have really bad experience with firestone management I called my dist. manager to report stealing and insurance fraud my manager just made up a story look a like someone break into store and steeled 8 cheapest tire and teamed up with 3 more technician they claimed missing cordless power tool at the time of claim they was still using their missing tools and my dist. mgr. told me its ok firestone own insurance company also they start to given me a hard time cuz I know now every body in that circle steeling from firestone and they will promote their people stealing is a firestone job culture they too far away from honesty, dignity or truth meaning if they cant be honest each other they will not be honest to their customer
Pros
you get the work on different makes and models
Cons
doesnt pay enough, labor time tailor it for firestone to pay less their technician
Great place to start a career but.......
Supposed to be Service Manager or Mgr in Training (Former Employee) –  Redwood City and San Mateo, CAJanuary 25, 2013
I applied for both store manager and service manager positions but was forced into sales associate position. I have over 20 years in the industry and tons of experience and I handled all the problem customers since the managers didnt want to deal with them. The people were fantastic but sales driven bonus plans cause people to steal your big ticket sales and put their employee number on it so you dont get credit and incorrectly advertising available positions is normal practice. Starting pay was low for my qualifications and I resigned after about 80 days because I was never home. Expect to work without direction and stay late and you might as well forget about breaks. If you are single and looking for a good start this is the place to do it. If you are a seasoned vet keep on truckin. Its a shame they didnt deliver on assigning me to the position I applied for. Customer base is usually upper end and the phones are the most annoying sounding things in the world. Overall a good experience and make sure to get your "training" because trial by fire is a way of life here.
Pros
people, reputation, bonuses, growth opportunities
Cons
low pay, long hours, no breaks, poor position placement based on qualifications
Decent pay, but poor work/life balance and little support from upper management.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 12, 2013
The pay is decent and the benefits were good, but every year they are reduced. Employees go years without even a minimal raise. Met some nice co-workers, but turnover is bad. Employee morale was poor in most stores due to lack of support from upper management. Customers will see mostly new faces at stores every few months, which is problematic in an industry that depends on trust.
Employees are forced to push credit card on customers. Managing can be very tough because the service technicians are paid on an awful flat-rate system. This means many of them work 40-50 hours a week and get paid much less than that because there is only so much business in each store. I never understood how it was legal to pay people for less hours than they worked, let alone not paying overtime. But it must be because it's a widespread practice. As a manager its very hard to motivate technicians to do quality work on vehicles when they are being paid so little. Also work/life balance is terrible. Employees work ten + hour days, and are expected to work every Saturday and many Sundays.
Pros
decent pay. benefits were good, but getting worse.
Cons
long work days. expected to work every saturday and many sundays.
5 or more days a week. 55 plus hours a week. good hard work.
General Technician (Former Employee) –  austin, txJune 25, 2015
mainly do lube changes and tire changes and alignments and brake jobs. if you are not bad at that and seem to make good decisions and proper recommendations and are willing to learn more and fix more, then you will succeed easy enough. but its hard work. fast paced and lots to do. of course, this will depend on the location. i worked off of RM 620 and 183. great coworkers, great managers. sometimes there are hic ups between the mechanics and salesman and customer. but thats corporate law so yea. hardest part is a 12-14 plus hour day with a 30 min lunch. im sure it depends on the location, but our guys would smoke, snack, eat, joke around plenty throughout the day. if you think your gonna stand around and get paid for scratching your rear end, go work in a department store. best part is being a mechanic and having a trade skill, working with good people, and just plain fixing stuff. oh yea, you get a base pay, or you get paid per flag hour. if there are no customers in a week, you get paid, just not as much. if there are lots of customers, you make more money. im not sure about the benefits and if your not an idiot, you have job security.
Stay away! Work you like a dog then cast you off!
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 11, 2015
I worked for this company for over nine years. The pay is what you make of it, I was a lead tech there. In the Firestone world that means you stay until all of your work plus the work that the lower level techs either couldn't or didn't know how to repair or screwed up trying. I averaged around 70K the last few years I worked for them. But I also lived at work. No one in upper management has a clue. When I repair someones vehicle I recommend what is required not what management says I should do to help them meet their bonus numbers. No automotive experience with sales teammates. They couldn't explain anything to the customers( made it up as they went along) recommend repairs that were not needed. These people were referred to as "A body for up front". Then they will tell you that you can't have an annual raise because you make too much now(capped). Then you watch all the flunckies that come to you for advise get their annual 5%.
Pros
A great benefits plan. That's were it stops
Cons
wrench in one hand, sandwich in the other. Brass always looks down at you. Run you like an old hunting dog
Difficult to move up in the company
Technician (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 19, 2014
I enjoyed working at FCAC during my time there. I had a great crew and they taught me everything I know about cars. It might've been hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but that is the nature of working in a garage. You're constantly getting your hands dirty, which I do not mind, but again, that is the nature of the business. I had graduated from the University of North Texas during my time there, and I felt that it was time for me to move up within the company. However, I found that it was not going to be that easy. They suggested that I attain some ASE certifications, the only problem with that is, those tests are only offered at certain times of the year. I was in a situation where I needed to make a decision soon, as I just finished college and my lease was up at the end of July. I didn't make enough to move to another apartment, and no one was willing to offer me a promotion or a raise. I ended up putting in my two-weeks-notice and resigning.
Pros
your crew is there to help you with whatever you need.
Cons
not compensated enough to make a living, at least as a general services technician.
Great Place to Get Your Foot Into the Automotive Field
Technician (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PADecember 16, 2015
I started at Firestone due to my practicum in college. I started off as a General Service Technician when I was there and would organize tires, parts, keep track of inventory, unload the stock truck, clean the shop, perform oil changes, and mount/dismount tires. I did that for several months even though I had my State Inspection License. I then got my Emissions License and started doing general repairs on vehicles (alignments, minor suspension work, tune-ups, and minor diagnosis work). I had great mentors there and I really enjoyed being around my co-workers. I would say the part that made it very difficult when I was at Firestone was that I was going to college full-time and working full-time. It was extremely stressful. In summary, I really enjoyed my time at Firestone and I told my manager that I would enjoy working for the company in the future as a Service Writer or a possible Service Manager.
Pros
Very Clean, Great Co-Workers, Very Organized, Pliability to Personal Schedules
Cons
Inconsistent Working Schedule
Stressfull ,cutthroat, miserable enviroments at times
Senior automotive technician (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 25, 2015
Fast pace, stressfull, no communication between front sales and techs at times. But can be fun, learning, good teammates in shop. I"ve had extensive training, diagnosis experience, tire installation. Most teammates are easy get along with helpful but some are cutthroat dishonest, will not help others, selfish. Management the same sometimes no communication between service manager and store manager causes stressful unorganized work coniditions. Hardest part of job is trying to turn hours when I get looked over for other technicans when I have same training, experience, knowledge as they do. I enjoy taking care of my customers cars knowing I took time right diagnosis and repair on vehicles so customers are happy safe and return for future maintenance and repairs.
Pros
free training opportunities, flexible work schedules, able to repair any all makes and models of vehicles
Cons
dishonest repairs, stressful, poor management
Your only value is your work
-A- Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 7, 2015
Joined company when they cared, over the last decade they have begun to lose touch with their employees, it has become a profit driven business ONLY. There's nothing wrong with making money, but at least recognize and thank the people who's backs you're breaking to do it. No raises given anymore, health benefits have become terrible.

Typically you go in early (or get yelled at), you are given very few opportunities AT work to improve, and if you are you lose money to do it. Your co workers are fighting you for work so they get paid, the environment is incredibly unsafe, despite the company being "safety focused" (No equipment maintenance/inspections anymore, no hearing protection, improper tools) and then you go home late. Every day you go home late, and if you try not to, you're told you will be fired if you don't. If I didn't love cars so much and hate seeing other people fix them wrong, I would have quit a long time ago
Pros
Some good days...
Cons
Long hours, under-appreciated, unsafe.