Underwrites commercial credit applications and collaborates with sales staff to move said applications through documentation and funding, sustains and enhances business credit relationships on an on-going basis. Analyzes businesses to make recommendations regarding credit and credit worthiness. Assists in business and staff development.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
1. Manages loan applications and prospective customers assigned that involve significant amounts after sales representative screening. Interviews customers and prospects. Conducts thorough, comprehensive business and organizational analysis to form a deep, broad, accurate, and up-to-date understanding of that business’s health, capacity, and capability to appropriately utilize and fully repay its loan in a timely manner. Analyzes financial statements and loan collateral. Analyzes economic and market data.
2. Underwrites and adjudicates loan applications and negotiates loan terms and conditions within lending authority, balancing the prospects’ needs with Company’s risk profile, growth, and earnings goals. Protects Company’s assets by making sound credit decisions. Takes responsibility to deliver accurate and comprehensive fact-based applicant summary in written form. Presents applications outside of lending authority to Credit Committee; recommends loan structure and terms and conditions in respect to same transactions.
3. Works collaboratively and cooperatively with other staff to complete loan transactions, promote internal teamwork, facilitate learning, and enable organizational effectiveness. Effectively manages expectations and changing priorities
4. Assists sales representatives in maintenance and development of key channel relationships. Identifies prospective and current accounts to establish or enhance Company’s brand, gains a full understanding of account’s needs, evaluates appropriate lending relationship and facilities, and educates account on the benefits of working with the Company. Assists sales representatives in establishment of follow-up mechanisms to best service accounts.
5. Responsible for relationship management functions of assigned customer accounts including ensuring that each customer delivers financial information and other compliance reporting in conformity with its loan agreement, analysis of the customer’s information delivered, risk rating customer, and annual review of same. Supervises assigned loan portfolio and works closely with asset management or work-out staff as necessary.
6. Provides mentoring, guidance, and training to other staff on a consistent basis.
7. Recommends process improvements and helps drive them down through the department. Supports and helps implement organizational initiatives.
8. Ensures the security and confidentiality of private customer information. Protects against unauthorized access to or use of customer information that could result in harm or inconvenience to customer.
9. Other duties as required.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting or equivalent relevant experience.
2. 4 or more years of hands-on experience in a commercial lending capacity with substantial credit authority, preferably in mid-market level deals.
3. Expertise in commercial credit and pertinent laws.
4. Excellent business, financial statement and collateral analysis, research, sales, interpersonal, customer service, written and verbal communication, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
5. Track record of success in fostering, sustaining, and developing profitable business relationships, preferably with small business entrepreneurs.
6. Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and well, apply information deftly, understand the business implications of information gathered, and act accordingly.
7. Prior experience coaching employees, building teams, and developing teamwork strongly preferred.
8. Proven ability to take initiative and work independently while remaining a good team player.
9. Able to maintain perspective and keep sight of the larger goal while accurately and thoroughly handling details.
10. History of working efficiently and effectively while multi-tasking, meeting deadlines, following projects through to completion, and maintaining high quality.
11. Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel and Access.