FIRST AMERICAN BANK Employee Reviews

Do not work here
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ilApril 12, 2017
There are so many other banks that offer much more opportunity than this organization. The incentive plan is poor and the base pay is below average. You are also the call center every branch because they do not have there own call center.
Personal Bankers are a dime a dozen to them
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 7, 2017
Role is heavy on customer satisfaction. You are split between a banker/teller/customer service rep. They do a great job of generating a community bank feel, but the employee experience suffers from upper management's inbred staff and "that's just the way we've done things" attitude.
great place to work
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMMarch 30, 2017
I enjoyed working here as I began the journey of completing my Nursing degree. The schedule was great for both of us until the demands of nursing school changed and our schedules conflicted. They were great about me having to leave and gave me a great reference.
Teller
Sr Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 7, 2017
Loved my customers. Worked on teller line and opening new accounts. Won top customer service for the State. Was in charge of the vault and opening and closing the bank. Experienced being robbed at knife point. Followed procedures. Managers and I are still great friends. Bank was closed by RTC. Savings in Loan bank.
Pros
My customers
Cons
Bank was closed.
Very tense enviroment.
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Webster City, IA 50595March 2, 2017
I worked in the morning opened up night deposit. record all information about night deposit on log book. Did ATM daily. Sorted and delivered mail. Answered phone call.

No team concept and micro managed.

very tense work environment.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
no team concept
Nice Community Bank
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILFebruary 16, 2017
Beautiful buildings, convenient locations, professional and knowledgeable staff. First American Bank does an excellent job of preserving tradition while staying competitive with current banking standards and practices.
Don't do it
Bank Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2016
Management is disconnected from staff not supportive no raises bad compensation,computer Systems are Really outdated you will act as a customer service representative recorded conversations on the phone not worth your career move.
Pros
Hours for management
Cons
Outdated system no room for advancement
Productive environment, Fast paced
Personal Banker, Retail Banking (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILDecember 1, 2016
First American Bank is a fast paced environment and gives and opportunity for growth and development. Also, equal opportunity employer. Training is very thorough and and very business savvy.
Pros
Team environment
Cons
N/A
Worst company I have ever worked for.
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILOctober 5, 2016
Worked as a computer operator Night shift, with a lady who was there 20 years, very racist, NOT a team player, she was terrified to show me anything , she was under the impression I was there to take her job. Manager believed everything she told him, he was a sissy himself. Resigned in 8 months. Very happy where I am today.
Pros
Cons
Hours
Productive and fun place to work
Returns Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 3, 2016
Helping customers, and providing customer service though-out the hotel was enjoyable. You have a variety of jobs to perform which keep the job interesting, and you motivated.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Benefits and payrate
great place to work
Teller (Current Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMMay 28, 2016
great place to work, slow-steady pace and customer flow. supportive environment. great for beginning bankers, excellent products and services
As a banker- you do everything
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 23, 2016
A lot of people love First American Bank, there are TONS of people whom have been with them for 15+ years. There's good health insurance, 401k, and an HSA plan. Extensive training (it's done off sight, so expect to drive to different locations) with mileage reimbursement.

Expect to get constant emails about hitting sales goals, and email blasts from upper management every hour on call nights. Not much foot traffic in banks these days, so prepare to act like a call center representative and do lots of cold calling if you don't work directly in Chicago. Bankers function as the Jack-of-all trades, you will be a: teller, loan officer, investment rep., customer service hotline rep., debit card issue rep, etc- you'll only get compensation for mortgages/home equity loans, which can take a year to even be able to take applications due to training. Lots of slow days, NO music is allowed in the bank.

Hours are long, normal 10 hr daily shift because you open & close and call nights go til 7pm- unless you're management having a weekend off/two days off in a row is unlikely.
Vacation time is accrued, so taking two weeks off a year is not happening unless you take your full vacation in December- they do allow rollover into the next year though if you elect to save up your time. No paid time off for women after giving birth, have to use up vacation and personal time. Life balance can be hard with a family lifestyle unless you're salaried management.
Pros
health insurance, internal management, co-workers, training
Cons
hours, upper management, location, call nights/phone coverage days, vacation time off
Needed a change in life at that time.
EXCEPTIONS TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 23, 2015
҉ Functioned in the banking industry for eight years performing various accounting responsibilities as an exceptions trainer
҉ Responsible for training new employees as well as investigating NSF items; proofing, editing and balancing debits
Blah
l (Current Employee) –  ILSeptember 4, 2015
Don't expect too much from this company. Work your a** off with minimal compensation. Maybe a pat on the back. Oh and the incentives are harder to get now so be prepared to work harder for nothing pretty much.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Everything Else
Productive and fast paced job with good co-workers.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMAugust 28, 2015
At this job I was there long enough to be cross trained in some areas when we were short handed or needed help somewhere so that was a great thing I learned there. My co-workers were nice and we worked well together. Management just need a little more professionalism and things would go better there.
Pros
Nice friendly enviroment
Cons
Needs better insurance plans and mangament needs to work better with the rest of the bank.
A place where you get a lot of opportunities to advance.
Personal/Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILAugust 28, 2015
A place where you get a lot of opportunities to advance. Their training center is very good and instructors are well verse on their topics.
Laid-back environment with very customer-centered service.
Head Teller/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kenner, LAJuly 14, 2015
First American Bank is a great place to gain experience with the fundamentals of banking. Unfortunately, there is not very much room for advancement. That being said, it is a great place for being a teller. Co-workers and managers are friendly and job security and benefits are great as well. Overall, First American Bank is a good institution to work for.
Productive growing financial institution and great people to work with who are continually involved in community events.
Customer Care Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMJuly 13, 2015
I love dealing with people and I was able to do this everyday. Challenges are the most enjoyable part of my job. My department did not have much direction from upper management. I trained and implemented new ideas as I felt they were necessary.
Pros
Employee fund/monthly pot luck/Christmas party
Good paying job
Account Investigation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILJune 4, 2015
Nice Job it just should have been more staffed so there could be more time given to someone who had never worked in a call center/card services attmosphere
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Need more staff
Great work enviroment
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMMay 20, 2015
Enjoyable workplace environment. Gained knowledgeable experience in all banking aspects. Friendly co-workers and great benefits as well as holidays off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FIRST AMERICAN BANK. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9