First American Financial Corporation Employee Reviews

There's no work-life balance at this company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 16, 2016
The culture at First American is not as glamorous as it seems even though it is being rated as the top 100 companies to work for. The management team has unrealistic expectations. There is no work-life balance and employees are treated less than what they deserve. There is no collaboration among departments and company/division's mission is to generate as much profit as possible at all cost (including long working hours and no appreciation).

Overall, this is not a healthy work environment for ambitious and hard working professionals who want a long term and rewarding career.
Pros
Cons
Long hours. Management doesn't appreciate what you do and how hard you work. The more you produce, the more they expect from you. Management treats their employees with no respect.
Very High turnover
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 7, 2016
You would think that a company this big would have their acts together, but they don't. They made their first mistake by only answering to stock share holders and not their staffed employees. Everyone is treated like they are replaceable at any seconds notice; all the free coffee and free employee luncheon can't make that air about that go away. There are lots of favoritism played by managements; it's not an even playing/ production ground. Very high stress, overwork, underpaid and over promised environment.
Pros
Easy freeway access
Cons
Not the opportunity I was promised.
Hostile and unethical work environment
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAAugust 29, 2016
Run as fast as you can away from this company. There is a reason there is a extremely high turn over with this company and always open positions within the property and casualty department. The word is finally getting out how degrading employees are treated within the department.
Management is horrendous, loud and extremely abrasive at all times. Constant yelling coming from managements office while you are attempting to complete your work at a salary far below industry standards.
Many complaints have been made to HR but it is clear the company would rather have the employee quit or have them fired rather than address managements harassment, inappropriate comments and illegal work practices.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Management extremely unprofessional, salary below industry standards, no advancement and hostile work environment
Horrible
Escow Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn, CAJuly 22, 2016
Hated working there. So much stress, Terrible managers. Pay was decent but not worth the abuse. I worked there exactly one month and was let go for not "catching on" quick enough.
It was OK........until you disagree with Management
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 3, 2016
Poorly managed. VP was totally biased and only wanted women to work under her. Below average compensation for a corporation this large. Cronyism at its best. Truly who you know, not what you know.
Pros
Nice Office
Cons
pay, poor management
Nothing that they claim this place to be
csr (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 13, 2016
Poor management, probably due to the buddy system they are on. If you have been here 7+ years, I think there is no way to get fired. Lazy team members who get away with doing hardly any work...again the buddy system. No room for advancement here...once a peon, always a peon. Company needs a whole new group of people to start fresh....maybe then they will pay the hard working employees what the deserve.
Pros
Cons
Management, pay, and have to pay to park.
Very organized and together.
Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, TXOctober 14, 2015
The team atmosphere was very enjoyable, everyone was a big help in training and they were very thorough. Overall I enjoyed the company.
Pros
great pay, and benefits
Cons
tight quota expectations
Great workmates and management team
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Westlake, TXJune 1, 2015
Go though emails and meet with supervisor for a run down of day's tasks or any special projects.

Processed and reviewed tax payments, delinquencies, principal and interest with monthly payments of $500,000 - $800,000. Ensured payments were completed within state law and tax agency required timeframe.This job gave me more experience in working more efficiently and meeting internal and external deadlines
Great Marketing Learning
Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 14, 2015
Great culture. Super friendly with great benefits. Started as an Intern and moved up, but stayed. Not really simple or idealistic to move up in a solidified company.
Pros
Culture, Cafe, Benifits, Compensation, Atmosphere
Cons
No opportunity for advancement
very poor management
escrow asst. (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City UtMay 10, 2015
I have worked at other title companies before and 1st American is by far the worst one. If you are not in their club, count yourself out. No training, back biting, and rampant gossiping. A company that has "American" in their name outsources their work overseas. Total hypocrisy. Management is non existent. Never seen a company with such disregard for their employees. You are a number. Horrible experience. Run away fast.
benefits
Poor Managment and people skills - Fake people
temporary billing clerk (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 9, 2015
You can do your best and it will never be good enough. you are supposed to be like a robot and fit in with their group or they don't like you.
you better be the same everything they are and like everything they do or there are people in the department that will say bad things about you behind your back and try to get you fired.
I really thought I wanted to work for this company and tried my hardest to get in and then once I worked there I realized I was totally disillusioned and that it was not a good place to work at all.
Its to bad a few people have to give a company that has been around so long a bad rap! Management stinks, very fake.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
the stress of always having to look over your back!
loved working there
coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CaFebruary 12, 2015
Dont get me wrong i loved working for First American but management has no clue as to what they are doing. They fool you into thinking that there is room for advancement but they have favorites and already know who they will promote before they interview anyone else. I also had a manager tell me that I wasn't social enough to interview for a better position. I honestly thought i went to work to do my job not make friends and talk all day. They go off numbers, that is all you are to them. They dont care what issues there are with a file, just wotk so many a day and close so many a day. It really is just about numbers not what you know or how long you have been there.

The company does celebrate their employess at times when the company has an anniversary or bribe ypu to vote them the best place to work. They very rarely will include the employees spouse or family at company events which was a gripe of many employees.

They want to pay as little as possible for the job you do with very few rewards for doing a good job but will for sure point out all your mistakes. The company is all aboit who you know not what you know.
Pros
friendly
Cons
low pay
Started off great
Production (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJanuary 15, 2015
managment doesn't know what they are doing. They all talk about each other behind their back. You are just a number and they don't care.
Pros
Nothing really.
Cons
No training provided. Look down on you for taking allowed 15 min breaks
You are just a number
Claims Resolution Agent (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CASeptember 9, 2014
Former employee... At first I loved being apart of the FA team then as my time went by there it became more stressful. The customers are usually very rude and they scream at you on most calls. HIGH STRESS... A lot of people quit because they cannot handle the stress. If your PI is not 100% at all times you get written up or fired.

I worked there as a temp agent for almost a year, then was let go due to my numbers not meeting their standard. I gave this company great customer service. They do not care that the customer was happy during the call, they only care if you said their last name more then once or said please & thank you more than once..

They are misleading-management makes you feel welcome then they drop you. They tell you that they will help you succeed then they drop you.

You do not get a set schedule/they change them every 2-3 months
You a not allowed to take time off or get sick.. It affects your PI score. I had some medical issues & I believe that is why I was let go.

I don't think this place is a good place to work---->you are not anything to them... They make it seem like a great place but it is really not... They train you and tell you either sink or swim!!

Its is a joke....
Pros
Stressful, overworked, pay not good
Escrow Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 6, 2014
Working for this company has added unnecessary stress in my life. Demand in overtime when overtime was not needed. Then when overtime was needed, it was not allowed and we were being forced to cut our hours during the week so we can work on the weekend for "straight time" to provide support for our lender. The company claims they are family oriented, I am lucky if I get to see my family at a minimum of 5 hours a week. There is little to no communication between managers and supervisors.
Pros
not many
Cons
Very stressful, overworked and underpaid
Quality control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 23, 2014
This Company started off great! After a corporate change, it went downhill. After 5 years over employment, numerous days/hours of mandatory overtime...my total pay increase over a 5 year span was about $1. The management is on a buddy system and if you're not a "favorite", you'll definitely feel the tension!
Pros
PTO, health insurance
Cons
Mandatory OT, awful pay, management
High stress and drama with little support
Former Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Westlake, TexasJune 19, 2014
Long days and weekends when busy

Management does not communicate or have your back

Associates will stir up trouble and drama if they do not like you

Very little to no training

Claim they are pro work/life balance, but very much the opposite
Cons
Long days, little appreciation.
Open
Senior Team Lead Valuations (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 12, 2014
Open to a lot of different things. Staying on top of projects and people and open to change and growth.
great peope; great company.
Corporate and National Recruiter, Senior (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 31, 2014
Well established corporation with over 120 years of industry experience. Great company and great people.
great place to work at
claim specialist (Former Employee) –  van nuys, californiaFebruary 25, 2014
I loved working holidays and weekends loved there 401k plan everybody is a team player and you can never ask for enough over time.
Pros
they pay well even to start
Cons
they layed me off when the re-cetion hit