First American Employee Reviews

great job and company to work for
Escrow Assistant (Current Employee) –  irving txJanuary 18, 2018
First American is a good company to work for. Good job no advancement with in the company. great benefits, great location, people worked with are great. A non stress full environment. training was not good but if you ask you are given more work
Not much room for advancement
Mortgage Title Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 17, 2018
They are constantly laying off permanent workers and hiring temps to pay them less. Those who have been there a couple of years can refuse to do work and make other team members do it, they can also come in late consistently.
Payroll/HR, Financial Analysist, Leasing Coordinator
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 16, 2018
On any typical day, would work closely with the CFO on accounting Items, Facility Leasing Items and office management, First American was a wonderful place to work at. The staff, pay, time off and health benefits we excellent. Working with the upper management was a true pleasure, as I could learn from them to do my job better.
Fun place with great co workers and informative work
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 15, 2018
Each day was working through mortgage loan files, entering in the information from a loan and verifying its information. This allowed me to learn more about how mortgage loans work and what is required to apply for one. My management team and co-workers were awesome and always helpful with any questions. Work had deadlines, but most work was work at your a normal pace and the deadlines were achievable, with occasional last minute items. Hardest part was that everything relied on the mortgage industry so job security was never guaranteed, saw many reductions of force.
Pros
Coworkers, job type, management
Cons
Lack of job security
isolated office - poor manager
Title Insurance Underwriter - Direct Division (Former Employee) –  New Smyrna Beach, FLJanuary 15, 2018
Caught up in cut-throat division of two offices. Unpleasant work environment while management and sales team made it a numbers battle. My 36 years of experience did not prepare me for this environment and after turning to HR and the matter being addressed with my manager the retribution was even worse.
Pros
Cons
forgot about the people
worked from home independently
Title Abstractor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 12, 2018
I enjoyed working from home, did not have a lot of interaction with fellow employees or management other than monthly meetings. I knew my job well and did a great job for them.
Exciting!
Associate Broker (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COJanuary 11, 2018
Being a real estate agent was so interesting and quite varied. Each day was different with many different personalities to work with. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Getting to see so many houses!
Cons
Market timing
A culture of doing too much with too little.
Escrow Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westlake, TXJanuary 11, 2018
If you do not mind overtime, then First American is the place for you. The culture of First American seems to be "How much work in the pipeline can we complete with the fewest amount of people?". This results in teams that are often too small to stay up to date on their workload in a normal 40 hour week, and are thus constantly working overtime. In my time at the company, regularly working 70 hour weeks (or more) was not unusual, and was frequently mandatory. I still have friends within the company and this mindset still seems to be present in certain departments.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, good income if you don't mind overtime
Cons
Inconsistent quality in management, relentless overtime, climate of constant employee turnover
Makes rash decisions and unfair wages
Production (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJanuary 9, 2018
It's a corporate company with thousand of employees. Treated as a number, worked according to their opinion of you and not included in any decision making. I found it sad and unfair that if you were not management, your opinion did not matter-even if had to do with your job. Wages were on the lower scale for the amount of work that was expected and little to no encouraging for advancements.
provide customer service to client or retail wanting to purchase home warranty
Inside Sales-IB Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2018
Provide homeowner's warranty to real estate agents, brokers & title/escrow and homeowners from inbound and outbound calls. I learned to deal with other professionals such as agents, and brokers.

Management was alright and workplace culture was business- like.

There really wasn't any hard or difficulties of this job because I worked in this type of environment in my other jobs. As for the enjoyable part of this job was payday.
January 12, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your experience with First American.

Productive and fun to work for
Title Clearance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAJanuary 8, 2018
Great Company to work for. Management and team leaders were the best I have ever worked with. They are considerate of all workers and do not pressure you to get work done. They go around and ask if you need help and if you do they will grab another team member that is caught up to help you out. Everyone is super nice and makes you feel comfortable.
January 12, 2018

Thanks for such a positive review. We couldn’t agree more—our people truly are the key to First American’s success. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

Happiest time of my working career
Senior Escrow Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 8, 2018
Prior to the market crash in 2008, I had hoped to work for First American indefinitely. As the market and industry has changed, I have adapted to accepting temporary positions. The escrow process is one of my favorite jobs and I do miss working for this company.
Enjoyed Coworkers
Commercial Title Examiner (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 8, 2018
Coworkers were great. Management depended on which department you worked for - some managers helped their employees grow and others micromanaged. It is the luck of the draw. Employee week was great, lots of activities.
January 12, 2018

Our people are key to helping us achieve our goal of becoming the premier title and settlement services provider. It’s why we put them—and you—first. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Stressful
Recoveyance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 7, 2018
My time with First American has been going for over a year. We were acquired by them, and since then, it has been stressful. While there has been no shortage of Overtime since then, converting our systems to theirs has been a complete pain. My position did not reflect the types of work I completed. On top of that, the lack of help in completing the tasks that were needed to be done only caused more havoc as we had to hit milestones of transferring data and information to their end. I went through almost 2 years of a pay increase and the only thing sustaining me was Overtime, in which I have been long since burnt out on. Maybe it's because we're an acquisition company, but my current feelings optimism throughout the year have been diminished because of the amount of stress and health issues that I have gained along the year.
Good Job with subpar direction
AR Accounting Specialist/ Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 5, 2018
The job was great and so was management and co-workers. The issue I had was that they off shored most of the jobs to other countries and they had us facilitate in the process. There was no room for advancement and never a raise for anyone in the several years I was there.
January 12, 2018

We’re sorry to hear you feel that way. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

work on a project
HUD REO Closer/Temp (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILJanuary 4, 2018
once the project was over my job ended. I did not learn anything, I taught them. Management was fair. Culture is hard core there isn't much I can say about the place other than other people were unhappy
Competitice Place to grow in your career
QA Module Lead/Onsite Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa AnaJanuary 2, 2018
Worked on Product called as FAST.
It was very good experience working on the project in various roles which helped me build my strengths and grow stronger technically and analytically.
January 12, 2018

We're glad you've had a positive experience working with the talented people here at First American. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Junior High Work Environment
Escrow Officer/Construction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 1, 2018
Too many cliches and the entire management team is related to one another (all siblings). If you get on the bad side of one of the management team, you will be penalized by all.
Good Company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CADecember 29, 2017
Its a great company. I just didn't enjoy the group I worked with. That group has sense been disbanded. Otherwise, I would love go back there in another capacity.
Great company
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CADecember 28, 2017
Excellent company, management, however it is an organization where long term/overall career commitment is desired. Development, growth, and long term vision within company are promoted.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First American. Our community is ready to answer.