First Baptist Church Employee Reviews

Loved working here
Accounting Clerk/Records Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CADecember 28, 2016
Working here was more than a job it was a ministry and the people were my extended family. I did not want to leave employment here but unfortunately I needed healthcare and retirement benefits. Most churches can't offer full-time employment with benefits. I learned many job and customer service skills that helped me secure another job. Even after many years I still have a close relationship with several of my co-workers from FBC.
Pros
flexible schedule, sense of fulfillment, wonderful people
Cons
low pay, no benefits, always on duty
Excellent work inviornment, very enjoyable job
Music Academy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXDecember 25, 2016
Each day I would usually talk to a parent(s) of a prospective music student(s) tell them about our academy and what it has to offer, make arrangements to enroll them and assign them a teacher. The enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the parents, students and teachers.
Pros
Excellent work inviornment
Cons
No benifits
Volunteer for 7+ years
Graphic Designer (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAOctober 10, 2016
I grew up in this church. I was tasked with numerous projects relating to my graphic design field and achieved much praise for my work.
Working at a church is fun
Worship Technician (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARMay 31, 2016
I was initially hired as a simple tech to create the full color church bulletin, assimilate sheet music for two worship teams, create rich multi-media presentations for Sunday services. Within a few months the church let me take over the care of the database system and church server, they also let me fix all PCs in the building. It was nice to be trusted and to take a greater and more technical role.

My working hours weren't always stable, though I always had the same start time and same days of the week for 7 years (I was often asked to work late.). I was also given raises as my worth to the church increased. I was given sick days, personal days and vacation. The church was very supportive of my needs.

The atmosphere was wonderful, the people were great, and there was free food in the break room almost every day. I set up media presentations in various places around the buildings which caused me to have to work with people not employed by the church. They were always supportive and made me feel worthwhile. A very good experience.
Pros
Pleasant and friendly people, free food, lots of food, complete access to all critical systems
Cons
did not provide health insurance, hours were sometimes very long
Self sufficency required
TV Director (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LAAugust 13, 2016
Inadequate compensation. Uninformed management. Old equipment. Poor training. Little actual scheduling. Not much recognition. Sometimes only work on Sunday. Sometimes many Sundays.
Pros
Donuts
Cons
High pressure.
People oriented, helpful, and challenging
Building Supervisor (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXMarch 22, 2016
I worked off a daily schedule of events for the day, made repairs where needed in the different departments keeping staff on their assignments. Checked inventory and materials for our needs and made purchases. Dealt with outside contractors from bid to completion. Attended committee meetings and presented project proposals for present and future needs and consideration.
My co-workers were talented and we had a team environment.
The hardest part was at times we could not fill the needs of everyone because of budget or volunteers.
The most enjoyable part was being able to help people make their lives better.
Pros
people oriented, flexibility, good benefits and very rewarding
Cons
no room for advancement
An office environment with office tech
Internship (Former Employee) –  Kingsland, GAJanuary 24, 2017
This job was really the type that I knew I would benefit the most from. My degree was/is Office Administration and Tech., so working on computers was great training to the career that I wanted. I didn't really learn anything because I mostly worked on the Word program, and, as I have been working with it for more than a decade, I have a pretty basic understanding of how that program worked. The manager and coworkers were nice people and, luckily, gave me a lot to do. I also answered phones and helped people with their problems. The hardest part of the job was when I also had to clean up the church that I worked in. The most enjoyable part was when I did data-entry (and also created brochures).
Pros
Breaks, Lunch, Being in a familiar environment
Cons
Doing activities that had nothing to do with my career plan (cleaning the church)
My ideal job, but I couldn't manage on the salary.
Administrative Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 11, 2016
I worked for a Pastor who was in charge of the Singles, Missions, and Seniors Ministries of the church.

I was given the opportunity to learn and use all the skills learned in computer classes I had taken after leaving banking. Plus a lot of the skills and experience I had learned in banking were used as well.

I started out doing data entry by doing the registrations for the church camp which amounted to 3,000+ campers a summer. I learned to do reports for the camp director and his board. I also had to call merchants for donations for a Harvest Time Festival which was in place of Halloween for the children in our community.

As the Administrative Assistant/Secretary I handled all the Pastor's communications for all his ministries. I did the registrations and handled the details for classes for the Singles Ministry. I also handled all the accounting and assisted in the details for the short term mission trips our members took each year.

I hated to leave, but I was working between 50 and 60 hours a week with the 2 jobs to try to make enough to live on.
Pros
I loved the work and felt I did it well.
Cons
Pay was low, I wasn't able to increase my hours to be able to get benefits, I had to have a 2nd job to earn enough
Working for the church
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Universal City, TXOctober 3, 2016
I work with children ranging from 4 months to 5 years old; I've learned how to manage a small group of children, how to properly change diapers among other things. Management seems to be muddied, as its influenced heavily by the preferences of one individual; during the last 2 years I have seen a fair number of employees come and go all do to the same individual. That said, i love working with both my co workers and my job; the hardest part of my job is when things become unorganized, we are under staffed. I love my working with the kids, seeing the big smiles and hearing their giggles.
Pros
Free snacks, children's smiles and laughs
Cons
split shifts, work only 2 days a week, do not get paid enough
Enjoyable place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pampa, TXNovember 28, 2016
A typical day at First Baptist Church is working with happy people, answering the phone, updating bus ministry from the week end, mailing 3 up cards to volunteers, setting up reservations for use of the building, making sure copy machine is functioning properly, going to the Post Office, taking messages for 3 Pastors, and generally talking to people that are having a hard time.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with the homeless.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with are always ready to help when needed. We share responsibilities at any given time. The love each person shows to each other is great.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
In a lock in environment because of threats.
A Church with great potential
Senior Pastor (Former Employee) –  Carthage, MOFebruary 10, 2017
This church had a great potential, but there were a few vocal members who constantly resisted and change or improvements.
The church has a small group that did not trust a pastor or other staff and they used their "influence" to block anything they did not approve of.
But there were other members who were very positive and desired to see the church change and reach people.
Pros
Has the resources
Cons
Would not allow anyone to use these resouces to reach people
Some need dismissal, shift in leadership due to required training
Senior Pastor (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCDecember 31, 2016
Pastoral hours 9-6 M-T-W-T, Friday 9-1 PM
Review and meet with City Council at Large regarding Washington St community development (every two weeks). Performed Pastoral duties as required. Visited the sick, and Visited the neighborhood school on various occasions 'Penn Griffin'. Manage all administrative responsibilities
Pros
reestablishing foundationial principle
Cons
attempting to reestablish discipleship principles
Is a peaceful place to work; pretty much low stress
Church Administrator (Current Employee) –  Westfield, NJ 07090March 15, 2016
I've met and worked with wonderful wonderful people. I am lucky to have a place where i can go into the sanctuary and say a prayer. I am close to home and the experience working with all types of people has been priceless.
Pros
close to home; low stress; quiet
Cons
very slight increases, no benefits
Helping people in need
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 31, 2017
I always had something to do helping set up tables and making sure everyone was served that came in through the doors. Its a fun environment that allows me to volunteer with new people I have never met before. I enjoy interacting with the guest that come in that tell me their story but the hard part is not being able to help with more than what we have to serve. Its a pay free volunteer thing and I'm glad I volunteer.
Pros
Free food
Sunday school
Sunday School Teacher (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CANovember 1, 2016
It was a 1st great place to start off a job career. I enjoys the kids and church activity they had were oh so joyful. Meeting new faces was also a great way to build up your social skills.
Daycare teacher
Certified Pre-School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NCDecember 7, 2016
I worked as a teacher at a church based daycare. Made daily schedules for the children and taught them all the basic needs for Kindergarten. I truly got a joy working with preschool age children and watching them grow. I still see some of the children/adults and them just remembering me from years back touches my heart.
Rewarding and challenging Job
Associate Pastor (Current Employee) –  Ulysses, KSDecember 12, 2016
The position is as an associate pastor in a church. The job can be both flexible and challenging. I have had opportunity to learn and grow, preparing myself for the next level.The environment is one of appreciation and love.
Was a joy to be at this church
Youth Director (Former Employee) –  Lillian, ALFebruary 1, 2017
I really enjoyed engaging with the teenagers of this church. I was able to watch many of them go from middle school all the way through high school graduation. It was a blessing begin a part of their lives and watching these teens grow into great men and women of our community.
Wonderful
Office Manager/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  O'Donnell, TXFebruary 23, 2016
FBC was a blessing and a job which allowed me to get onto my feet when I moved to Texas. The people were pleasant and easy to work with. The company did not offer health benefits or paid days off which is why I left.
Child Care Fun
Child Care Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksboro, TXJanuary 9, 2017
Taking care of the babies at the daycare was fun. I learned not 1 child is the same. My co-workers and I had fun. The hardest part of the job was getting the babies on the same schedule. The most enjoyable part was getting to spend 1 on 1 time with each baby.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Baptist Church. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4