First Baptist Church Employee Reviews in United States

People oriented, helpful, and challenging
Building Supervisor (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXMarch 22, 2016
I worked off a daily schedule of events for the day, made repairs where needed in the different departments keeping staff on their assignments. Checked inventory and materials for our needs and made purchases. Dealt with outside contractors from bid to completion. Attended committee meetings and presented project proposals for present and future needs and consideration.
My co-workers were talented and we had a team environment.
The hardest part was at times we could not fill the needs of everyone because of budget or volunteers.
The most enjoyable part was being able to help people make their lives better.
Pros
people oriented, flexibility, good benefits and very rewarding
Cons
no room for advancement
Is a peaceful place to work; pretty much low stress
Church Administrator (Current Employee) –  Westfield, NJ 07090March 15, 2016
I've met and worked with wonderful wonderful people. I am lucky to have a place where i can go into the sanctuary and say a prayer. I am close to home and the experience working with all types of people has been priceless.
Pros
close to home; low stress; quiet
Cons
very slight increases, no benefits
Wonderful
Office Manager/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  O'Donnell, TXFebruary 23, 2016
FBC was a blessing and a job which allowed me to get onto my feet when I moved to Texas. The people were pleasant and easy to work with. The company did not offer health benefits or paid days off which is why I left.
Breakroom was nice and free coffee
Accounts Payable Clerk / Insurance Liaison (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 22, 2015
A/P for monthly invoices and match up Purchase Orders, Run checks, Verify employees credit card bills, and follow up with outstanding invoices. Great co-workers and management. Getting PO back in order to match up with invoices to pay.
Pros
Healthcare and 401k benefits
Cons
not many vacations days
It's Church life
Music Intern (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJuly 2, 2016
Like many other places, it can be fun, stressful, and down right crazy at points. A typical day included filing music, planning worship, and leading congregation and/or choir(s).

I learned a great deal on planning special church events (Christmas, Easter, Patriotic, etc.) and keeping a steady schedule.

The hardest part of the job was ... well, if you are not familiar with church life then imagine working in a business and you get in a fight with your co-worker, but then you are out having a good time that night. That's not what happens in the church. The church is family; you get angry and the anger stays until the dust is settled then it's a prayer that the dust stays settle.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Praise the Lord
Custodian and Sanitation Tec (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAOctober 19, 2015
Great place to worship and praise the lord while keeping the place nice clean and safe for the members that attend. I have worked for the church for the past 4 years also attend the church for the past 27 years. Proud of the place that I take care of and worship at.
Good place to work if you are self motivated.
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Raton, NMSeptember 30, 2015
I started working at this church because the pastors are good people and easy to work for but also because I wanted to do something to keep me in shape. With the three floors in the church building and all the outside maintenance to do, plus taking care of the offices across the street, kept me very busy, which I like a lot.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No health Insuance
First Baptist - Excellent Ministry
VISITING MINISTER (Current Employee) –  Mt. Holly, NJApril 24, 2016
The staff and workers of FBC Mt Holly are strong Christians with a love for the Lord and a desire to serve Him sincerely. My focus at this church was on care and counsel for those the hospital and retirement homes (i.e. Pastoral care & chaplaincy). The other staff members were strong prayer and work partners, and there was a balance of worship, discipleship, fellowship, stewardship and mission. I focused also on building fellowship in the Body and especially among the men's Bible study and discipleship. I am technically an unpaid volunteer, but I was placed on the Board of Deacons and am often asked by the staff and the Senior pastor to minister in many ways.
Pros
Sweet fellowship, Strong worship
Worked as a assistant
Daycare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cordele, GAFebruary 19, 2016
I would go into work everyday loving what i do and working with the kids. I learned that it is not and easy job but i try my best at everything. The management there was good and she knew what she was doing. I worked good with the co workers there I mess working there they where very friendly and i went to where they told me i was needed. The hardest part is not telling the parents how there kid did that day i got told to lie and tell them they did good. Being around the kids was what I most enjoyed doing because they made me smile and no problems where there
Pros
working with good people, taking care of the kids while there parents was at work
Cons
not being able to tell the truth to the parents when they asked
Fun workplace, opportunity to be creative and show leadership!
Teacher - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, FLJune 11, 2016
I personally loved my time working at First Baptist Church of Saint Cloud. I loved the staff, and the children! I got to learn how to be prepared for a lesson, and I got to learn better teaching skills. My Co-workers were very supportive, and were able to offer all kinds of ideas to better my class. The smiling faces were the best part working there, but there were some moments of difficulty as well in learning how to deal with a disruptive child. That was quickly overcome when he had a chance to be teachers assistant.
Energetic Environment and Welcoming People
teacher's assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 18, 2016
Everyday I was switched between the toddler room and infant room. I would play with the children, set up lunch, clean up around the classroom, and help children fall asleep during nap-time. I learn how unique each child is and this experience ultimately decided my major . My coworkers were very friendly and always had a smile on their face. The hardest part of the job was children who were strongly attached to their parents and would cry all day long. The most enjoyable part was getting the children to laugh or smile.
Working at a church is fun
Worship Technician (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARMay 31, 2016
I was initially hired as a simple tech to create the full color church bulletin, assimilate sheet music for two worship teams, create rich multi-media presentations for Sunday services. Within a few months the church let me take over the care of the database system and church server, they also let me fix all PCs in the building. It was nice to be trusted and to take a greater and more technical role.

My working hours weren't always stable, though I always had the same start time and same days of the week for 7 years (I was often asked to work late.). I was also given raises as my worth to the church increased. I was given sick days, personal days and vacation. The church was very supportive of my needs.

The atmosphere was wonderful, the people were great, and there was free food in the break room almost every day. I set up media presentations in various places around the buildings which caused me to have to work with people not employed by the church. They were always supportive and made me feel worthwhile. A very good experience.
Pros
Pleasant and friendly people, free food, lots of food, complete access to all critical systems
Cons
did not provide health insurance, hours were sometimes very long
I am retiring after 29 years of satifying service in this wonderful congregation.
Associate Pastor (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, KSFebruary 24, 2016
I started as a youth pastor. I lost several youth and parents. . I have done an average of about 1 hospital/nursing home visit a week for over 30 years.
. I was mentored by a couple of pastors on hospital visits. I learned to observe the patients situation, to give preference to nurses and doctors, and know when to leave.
The hardest part of the job was when I had to actually deliver the news of a death to a parent or spouse.
The most enjoyable part was bringing them comfort through my own experience with death in my family and helping them recall fond memories
I would often write a poem for the family.
Pros
Many wonderful friends and co-workers
Cons
Separation from friend by them leaving the church and going to another
Challenging place to work
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNAugust 22, 2016
I say that working at First Baptist is challenging because there are many changes that occur on a daily basis. There are times that you are the only person in the building which means that you have to be focused on your tasks and comfortable making decisions. The hardest part is being a team of one but it's also the most enjoyable part of the job!
Pros
Flexability
Cons
Only offer part time work
Rewarding and fun place to work
Church Secretary (Former Employee) –  Keystone Heights, FLSeptember 26, 2015
A typical day began with staff meeting and assignment of any additional work activities that were out of the ordinary. Typical days activities included:
Clerical work (filing,emails, letters, brochures, bulletins, etc)
Handling and routing phone calls,
Computer and internet work,
Dealing with contractors, sales persons, daycare workers and those church and community members (some in need of help) that visited the church office.

Learned how to manage a one person office; uickBooks application for payroll, bill paying and budget. Trouble shooting office equipment to avoid technical support. Managing calendars for all staff; updating websites. Networking with other churches and church organizations who are able to help others asking for assistance.

Reported directly to Sr. Pastor, who was considerate, kind and helpful, but also demanded excellence and perfection. He was a pleasure to work for. Co-workers were also pastors. They were easy to work with, always supportive, helpful and willing to help when necessary.

The hardest (maybe not hardest, but most stressful) part of the job was doing payroll -- making sure all hours accounted, caring for any garnishments, and paychecks were correct.

Most enjoyable was the fellowship, respect, mission and fun we shared as co-workers.
Pros
Rewarding work; very little stress. Respect shared by all. Fun place to work.
Cons
Low pay; no benefits (although I had my own)
Supportive place to work in, many benefits
Director of Adult Education (Current Employee) –  McAlester, OKDecember 11, 2015
A fulfilling place to be. I have had many years of work here, having been through many changes of staff. I have learned so much, especially to be flexible, to be a team player with many staff workers. I have enjoyed working in management with paid employees as well as with volunteers who work so diligently year after year.
Maybe the hardest part of the job, yet what makes it so diverse, is the difference in the personalities and ages of people on staff. It can be a challenge. At the same time, this is what keeps us fresh, hearing so many different perspectives and ideas on how to go about our work.
The most enjoyable part of the job/work is that we share common beliefs and goals in life. I have great support and respect in my colleagues as well as members.
Good People
PASTOR (Current Employee) –  Centralia, MOMarch 25, 2015
It is a typical small town church. While the people here are gracious, there is a significant resistance to change. Typically I am in the office Monday through Thursday. Saturdays are generally free, but there are ministry needs that can come up at any time. Evenings are somewhat overburdened with repetitive unnecessary meetings. It took us 18 months to get to the point where the church would agree to hire another full-time staff member. The hardest part of the job are the unwritten and unspoken expectations of some members. The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing lives begin to change and equipping and encouraging families.
Pros
Flex Schecule, Adequate Compensation for size of church, Kind people
Cons
Culture unwilling to embrace present realities. tied to traditions
Christian based work environment, perfect for students of all ages.
Lisa Doyle, Children Director (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOJune 1, 2016
FBC is a laid back work environment, that is able to work around a busy schedule. While there aren't enough hours for a full time job, it is a fantastic job for the individual wanting to make an extra $40 for gas money. Being with the children and impacting their lives even for a couple of hours a week is very special as well.
My ideal job, but I couldn't manage on the salary.
Administrative Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 11, 2016
I worked for a Pastor who was in charge of the Singles, Missions, and Seniors Ministries of the church.

I was given the opportunity to learn and use all the skills learned in computer classes I had taken after leaving banking. Plus a lot of the skills and experience I had learned in banking were used as well.

I started out doing data entry by doing the registrations for the church camp which amounted to 3,000+ campers a summer. I learned to do reports for the camp director and his board. I also had to call merchants for donations for a Harvest Time Festival which was in place of Halloween for the children in our community.

As the Administrative Assistant/Secretary I handled all the Pastor's communications for all his ministries. I did the registrations and handled the details for classes for the Singles Ministry. I also handled all the accounting and assisted in the details for the short term mission trips our members took each year.

I hated to leave, but I was working between 50 and 60 hours a week with the 2 jobs to try to make enough to live on.
Pros
I loved the work and felt I did it well.
Cons
Pay was low, I wasn't able to increase my hours to be able to get benefits, I had to have a 2nd job to earn enough
Good co-workers and fun place to work
TEACHERS AIDE (Former Employee) –  1328 16th St NW, Washington, DC 20036May 12, 2016
My co-workers were amazing to work with and I felt comfortable and welcomed. The most enjoyable part of the job were the children and taking them out to the local parks and the inside gym. The director is very organized and patient with the workers. The hardest part was trying to keep up with the schedule that was set for the children based off what the lead teacher had planned for them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Baptist Church. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4