First Baptist Church Employee Reviews

Youth Intern/Interim Youth Minister at FBC Canyon
Youth Intern (Former Employee) –  Canyon, TXJune 20, 2014
My work days would begin by checking my weekly schedule to see what events were planned for Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. I would have to run errands for the events, go grocery shopping if they included food, games, activities that needed supplies. In October of each year I would have to set the date and location for summer camp the following summer and provide an estimated number and deposit. I would have to book buses to take us to and from camp based on the number of students and sponsors attending. In February of each year we would host a youth rally/retreat weekend similar to a Disciple Now weekend where we would bring in a band, speaker, college student leaders, we required up to 25 families in the church volunteer their homes for the weekend, have a cooking staff, order tshirts for the event, etc. The planning for this February event usually started once we got back from summer camp each summer in June/July. I was responsible for all activities and scripture for Wednesday nights and leading small group discussions. All of this while I was only 19-21 years old, became a much bigger task than I had originally signed on for, but we had a youth minister leave during that time and the church asked me if I would fill in, since I was already very involved with the youth ministry.
My coworkers at the church were great and very supportive and helpful during this time. I also had many adults in the church volunteer their time to help out as well. It was a very stressful environment for me, but a very rewarding one as well.
The hardest part of my job was time management
  more... and trusting others to help. I learned a lot about myself and learning to trust others in my position. There was no way I could do it all alone and I'm so thankful I had so many people on my side to help out at any given time.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the students and watching God work in and through them to better their relationships spiritually and to grow in their walks with Christ.
Pros
working with youth, traveling, building relationships with students and parents, booking bands and speakers, working alongside other adults, etc.
Cons
worked lots of weekends including saturdays and sundays, worked wednesday all day and in the evenings, had a lot of work to do when i got home each night, had to discipline students who misbehaved on trips, etc.
Excellent and God-Centered Atmosphere
Pianist (Current Employee) –  Allendale, SCAugust 24, 2015
A typical Sunday involves my reviewing the "Special Music" for the choir before the service begins. The choir and I then proceed to go to the choir loft in the sanctuary of the church. The service begins with my playing the "Call to Worship", to which the choir sings along to while the members of the congregation greet one another. This is followed by "Announcements", where the pastor addresses prayer concerns for fellow members, important church events, etc. After saying the "Lord's Prayer," I lead the choir and congregation in singing the "Praise Song", hymns that offer any kinds of praise to God. After the "Morning Prayer," I lead the choir in singing the aforementioned "Special Music," which is typically included in the hymnbook before leading the choir and the congregation in the "Offertory Hymn". The choir then exits the choir loft as the offertory plates are passed in the congregation, during which I play the "Offertory" (Typically, it is a contemporary praise and worship song, like "The Potter's Hand"). As soon as I have finished playing this song, the pastor proceeds with his sermon. With a cue from the pastor ("As we sing our "Hymn of Discipleship,"..."), I return to the choir loft and play the "Hymn of Discipleship". After the pastor states the "Benediction", I play the "Doxology," thus ending the service. When it comes to what I have learned from this experience, I can say that my piano playing has improved a great deal; I have learned to play in sync with the choir and congregation, and I'm playing hymns that before intimidated me due to complication. This is definitely  more... the most enjoyable part of my job. I can not find anything hard about this job. When it comes to the management, everyone involved at the Allendale First Baptist Office are "on top" of their jobs: the pastor decides what topic his sermon is going to be for the following Sunday by Tuesday afternoon, which is given to the members of the Office, and sent to me. I then search for hymns to align with said sermon before sending my choices to the Office Secretary. When it comes to my co-workers, they are all helpful to me whenever they need to be, and it helps that they are Christians. This is a really wonderful job experience.  less
Pros
Great Salary and Christian Environment
Catering/Event Planning Position for large church
Director of Food Service Ministry (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 20, 2014
This is a very fast passed job, full of interest and interaction with a diverse group of people.
My typical day would include supervision of the food service staff in preparation of daily events, checking inventory, ordering food and supplies, coordinating event dates for clients to include room selection/set up and food/beverage selection. This would lead to a written food quote, communication with client to work out details (ie; linen, decorations, etc) and inclusion on church calendar. Meeting with client, communication of requests to music ministry for audio visual needs, facilities for table/chair requirements and volunteer coordinator to enlist volunteers to assist with event.
The procurement of any additional items needed for an event was done by me. I worked directly with various vendors to ensure all needs were met to satisfy the client's request so the event would be The BEST they had hosted.
My attention to detail constantly challenged me to serve 600 guests in 20 minutes or under, hold fast to high standards for taste and presentation of food and smile throughout the process creating a relaxed atmosphere for the host and their guests.
My immediate staff were great workers and very loyal to me. The atmosphere was one of fun, "but work while you talk"!
The most difficult part of the job was constant changes made by my direct supervisor. His need to micro manage led to my resigning after eight years.
The most enjoyable part of my job were the people of the congregation. I loved greeting and taking care of my guests. They became quite "spoiled" by my Southern hospitality.
Pros
good work environment - wonderful congregation - good compensation package - flexible hours -
Cons
micro managing direct supervisor -
Rewarding and fun place to work
Church Secretary (Former Employee) –  Keystone Heights, FLSeptember 26, 2015
A typical day began with staff meeting and assignment of any additional work activities that were out of the ordinary. Typical days activities included:
Clerical work (filing,emails, letters, brochures, bulletins, etc)
Handling and routing phone calls,
Computer and internet work,
Dealing with contractors, sales persons, daycare workers and those church and community members (some in need of help) that visited the church office.

Learned how to manage a one person office; uickBooks application for payroll, bill paying and budget. Trouble shooting office equipment to avoid technical support. Managing calendars for all staff; updating websites. Networking with other churches and church organizations who are able to help others asking for assistance.

Reported directly to Sr. Pastor, who was considerate, kind and helpful, but also demanded excellence and perfection. He was a pleasure to work for. Co-workers were also pastors. They were easy to work with, always supportive, helpful and willing to help when necessary.

The hardest (maybe not hardest, but most stressful) part of the job was doing payroll -- making sure all hours accounted, caring for any garnishments, and paychecks were correct.

Most enjoyable was the fellowship, respect, mission and fun we shared as co-workers.
Pros
Rewarding work; very little stress. Respect shared by all. Fun place to work.
Cons
Low pay; no benefits (although I had my own)
Memorable & Worth Every Moment
Volunteer Service & Leadership (Current Employee) –  Oviedo, FLSeptember 3, 2013
My volunteer service here was quite possibly some of my most memorable moments. My God has given me so many opportunities to help people and I learn something valuable every single time. Every experience was different, from coaching young kids in soccer to serving missionary families in Brazil.

Each moment was a moment where I was able to look at myself and see the things I take for granted. There are some who do not get to eat every day, when I don't even think twice about whether or not there will be food when I wake up. It has completely re-shaped my view on life.

The ones who served next to me where amazing people. We relied on each other, and on Christ, to be strong when it could have been easy to be complacent. It was hard at times to remain focused, especially in Miami, FL when we renovated a warehouse into a church. It would have been so much easier to be lazy and let others do the work but that is not what we are called to do as Christians.

We should love as Christ loved. We should serve as Christ served. I enjoyed every aspect of this. To be able to make my Savior smile as I showed love in His name is all I ever ask for.

I am constantly involved with what they are doing in the community, searching for opportunities to serve in any way I can.
Pros
self-satisfaction, leadership experience, helping those in need
Cons
exhaustion
Great work environment with a very caring staff
Pastor's Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 7, 2016
My tasks changed during my employment at FBC, Winston-Salem. I was hired as the senior pastor's secretary. My first weeks were spent catching up where the previous secretary had left off, with huge piles of back up filing. There was no one to give me any training. I just had to jump right in and learn the ropes on my own. I scheduled appointments, made travel arrangements and managed his schedule with Google Calendar. I reviewed spending and maintained confidentiality of private funding for counseling clients, created and maintained Excel spreadsheets and insured data integrity and accuracy, and assisted him with sermon research and study materials.

Several months into my employment the pastor retired. I had no prior knowledge of his plan to do so, but FBC kept me on as an office administrator. My responsibility was the production of a portion of the weekly church bulletin using MS Publisher, the publishing and distribution of the weekly e-newsletter using Constant Contact and the maintenance of portions of the church website using Joomla content management framework. I enjoyed this part of my job very much and was introduced to some very basic HTML.
Very enjoyable place to work, only left because of moving
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Kennett, MODecember 30, 2013
At this job I would start every morning cleaning the general office area. It is a very big church so each day I would clean different parts of the church. My responsibilities were cleaning the bathrooms, nursery's, kitchen, fellowship hall, sanctuary, library, hallways, and life center. The church has over 200 rooms and a life center which is a separate building. The members would come in and out a lot needing help with upcoming events so I had to be flexible with the cleaning schedule because the things they needed help with always came first. On Wednesdays and Sundays I had to come back after working hours and turn on lights and unlock doors and on Sundays I had to prepare coffee and water and clean up after morning service to prepare for their night service. I developed a personal relationship with a lot of the members there so they felt comfortable asking for help with anything they needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was the fact it was flexible and in a positive environment. The hardest part was working on Sundays and being on call every other weekend.
Pros
good hours, provided insurance, friendly work environment
Cons
being on call every other weekend
Great place to work, and I learned many skills I could use in a business setting.
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 3, 2013
A typical day at work included discussing with my boss various subjects such as upcoming events, planning future events, and sometimes discussions of money and budget. Making copies, phone calls, faxing, doing mail outs, shopping for events and office needs were other tasks that were regularly done. I learned many things while working at the church such as fundraising, planning and spending, operating office equipment, and becoming more proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. I also strengthened my communication skills while working at the church. My co-workers are always great we all get along well, it's like a little family in the office. The hardest part of my job was the planning and execution of large events such as fundraisers and big social functions. Though these were the hardest part of my job they were also some of my favorite and most enjoyable tasks. The most enjoyable part of my job though was getting to know the students and making connections with them, as well as getting to know their families.
FBC was a great place to work, but the health insurance was terrible, & there was no room for advancement.
Music Ministry Secretary (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJuly 31, 2014
On a typical day at work, I filed away music; entered data into the computer; pulled out & distributed music; typed sections of the weekly bulletin; covered the receoptionist's lunch hour by answering a multi-line switchboard & greeting walk-in customers; etc.

At FBC, I learned more about using Microsoft Outlook, Word, & Publisher; how to use a laminating machine; how to use a Risograph; etc.

The management at FBC were all kind, helpful & caring people, & I enjoyed working for them.

My co-workers at FBC were fun & caring people, & I enjoyed working with them; I still occasionally see them & talk with them.

The hardest part of the job was when the folding machine would quit working, & we had to tri-fold at least 1,000 bulletins by hand. Thankfully, that didn't happen very often.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others enjoy worship services, & knowing how my efforts helped services run smoothly.
Pros
working in a friendly atmosphere
Cons
health insurance was expensive & not good.
Productive workplace
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Brookhaven, MSFebruary 24, 2014
A typical day of working at First Baptist Church (Wee Care) includes taking children to and from lunch, supervising nap-time and all playground activities, as well as preparing the children to go home in the evenings. I have learned to multitask at this job, to be attentive to multiple needs at one time, and to strive to please both parents and their children. The management at Wee Care is great, they are always willing to work with you if you have a need or situation arise that is out of your control. At Wee Care, the majority of the co-workers work as a team and exhibit much patience and self-control. The hardest part of working at First Baptist is probably the mental strain because I do not leave my job at work, I take each child home with me in my heart and on my mind. The most enjoyable part of working at Wee Care is receiving much love from so many children and being able to give of my love to children of all ages.
Pros
free lunches, 2 hour "break" at nap-time, outside recreational activities.
Cons
part-time hours

Want to know more about First Baptist Church?

Ask a question
Financial Secretary, First Baptist Church, Laurel MS
Financial Secretary (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MSAugust 14, 2012
Daily duties: Bank Deposits from Kindergarten, Wednesday night Church wide supper, all Coke & Candy Machines, Any special deposits like Youth, Elderly, Sunday School Classes, Church Offering weekly. Secretary for the Youth Minister. Typed all necessary letters, set up activities. Responsible for Bank Reconcilation, Accounts Payables, Contribution Reports. In charge of Gym Memberships. Made reservations for trips. Notarized the necessary documents for trips. Record keeping of all funds donated and to which account, Pastor, Youth, Elderly, Playground, Building funds plus many more. Mailed out special activity announcements & month End Financial Reports for the Pastor, Deacons & Church Members. Also Daycare deposits and special mailings for announcements.
Pros
discount lunches, secretary for ladies clubs. attended functions & church services.
Cons
no real leadership with church, but youth was grand.
Very rewarding environment, making a difference in the church, community and youth.
Mentor, Assistant Media Director (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 4, 2014
A typical day at work would be coming in helping kids with their homework and doing one on one work with my student while taking pictures and preparing for the events in the church sunday.
I furthered my photography skill and learned how to effectively get though to children to help them to my best ability.
The management was great they gave me full creative control over projects and my mentoring.
My coworkers were helpful we worked as a team filling in for each other and helping each other as problems were presented.
The hardest part of the job was not having some necessary resources for me to do my job better.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the kids and the church advance through mentoring and my media skills.
Pros
i worked in the church
Cons
did not get paid but was still rewarding for me personally.
Productive and enjoyable workplace. Well balanced schedule and positive environment
Set Up Crew Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXSeptember 20, 2013
Review set ups that need done for the day. Gather furniture items needed for set ups on to dollies. Make sure rooms are clean and organized for set ups. Go back and check set ups. We get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. I learned to work SMART not hard because of the job being so physical... meaning learning how to manuever heavy items without putting strain on my body. My boss was very caring and always made sure we put school first and was very considerate of our families. My co-workers were young but hardworking. They adapted very quickly and we got along well. The hardest part of the job was the physical labor. The most enjoyable part was being able to have fun and make the best of our job while still working and getting things done in a timely manner.
Pros
frequent breaks, free lunches
Cons
pay rate
I love helping others and it's a quiet place to work
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Cedaredge, COFebruary 12, 2013
My work day starts with answering phone messages, mail pick up and distribution. Responding to emails, paying bills, recording donations, banking and working on articles for the newsletter & weekly bulletin. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with various members of the congregation that stop in the office needing information or dropping off articles to print in the bulletin. I have a big heart for the elderly members of the church and find that I have patience and understanding that not many people have with the elderly. I have strong organizational skills and enjoy multitasking. I am very dependable and committed to getting tasks completed. The hardest part of my job is having a lot of "free time", I like to stay busy and be productive.
Pros
flexible schedule, friendly people, vacation time
Cons
no health insurance
Workouts, long walks in beautiful public parks.
Senior Pastor (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 28, 2014
Each day is a new one working with people who are searching for more or themselves, and how they can contribute to each other, institution, community and the world.
People can be very fragile, critical, and helpful toward management and their co-workers. My co-workers are my reference group. We learn from negative experiences.
This is not a boring position since primarily new things are always happening in the church, or community. Most exciting is being able to help someone be able to become a better person leading by example and hearing them echo with thanksgiving same.
Pros
we celebrate with the community countless times a year wherein food is shared, thoughts, ideas, and much more.
Cons
it is hard to get away for personal time, but it happens. unfortunately, no retirement package are available, however, full health care is included.
Was a quiet place to work
Ministry Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Jackson, TXDecember 11, 2014
A typical day was meeting with the office staff each morning and helping the Minister of Music in preparation for each Sunday.

What I learned, working on staff at a church was really no different than working in the public. The work environment could be a bit hostile at times. Not sure I would work at a church again.

Management was far more critical than I ever expected for that environment. The job was not that difficult, but with any job, time constraints kept me on my toes.

I really enjoyed my interaction with church members and helping them with their needs. Had a great working relationship with the Minister of Music. I really enjoyed having my own office and having every other Friday off.
Pros
i had every other friday off and i had my own office.
Cons
having every other friday off, we were all required to work an extra 30 minutes each day.
An excellent place to work, learn and grow.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bolivar, MOAugust 21, 2015
A very fun place to work and grow. I not only grew as a team member but also independently. Management was encouraging and welcomed opinions. My job was very diverse. I was administrative assistant to two Ministers, processed accounts receivable, maintained member database, maintained benevolence spreadsheet and processed contributions in excess of 6 figures per month. The hardest part of my job was when I had to deny benevolent assistant to someone coming in needing assistance due to economic stress. The most enjoyable part of my job was the daily camaraderie between co-workers, our monthly luncheons building relationships.
Pros
Flexible during personal appointments ie; Dr. Dentist and during inclement weather.
Cons
Being a religious organization, pay increases where minimal.
Fun and challenging
Day Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Whitesburg, KYAugust 20, 2012
My typical day started out with breakfast for the children followed by clean-up and then the learning centers, lessons in writing the alphabet and numbers then lunch and then nap time. After nap time we had a snack and then outside/inside playtime depending on the weather. I learned that each child has much to offer. Their innocence in trusting me to be there for them, guide them in their learning and teach them in a positive caring environment and respecting them as an individual,always looking out for their best interest but most of all being their friend.
The management always had the children's best interest at heart and my co-workers were very friendly and willing to help when needed. I gained some very cherished friendship.
Pros
an awesome learning experience
Cons
no health insurance
Productive spiritual and responsibility teaching kids.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Hialeah, FLJune 26, 2013
First Baptist Church is been my church since i was little kid, which it made it even better to tech kids what i had been thought, In are church we start the day by worshiping God with songs in the worshiping room with all the little kids, after we are done i personally take them to their classes after all the parents sign them in for personal securities. In my class i have boys from ages 9-11, so we start by speaking about our favorite part of the week and we pray to strengthen are life's and for any other reasons, i teach them the lesson of the week and we clean up, until the parents come and sign them out. This is a short period of time i spend in church but is totally worth to take care of this kids which i learn from as much as they learn from me.
Pros
community hours.
Cons
none.
Supportive place to work in, many benefits
Director of Adult Education (Current Employee) –  McAlester, OKDecember 11, 2015
A fulfilling place to be. I have had many years of work here, having been through many changes of staff. I have learned so much, especially to be flexible, to be a team player with many staff workers. I have enjoyed working in management with paid employees as well as with volunteers who work so diligently year after year.
Maybe the hardest part of the job, yet what makes it so diverse, is the difference in the personalities and ages of people on staff. It can be a challenge. At the same time, this is what keeps us fresh, hearing so many different perspectives and ideas on how to go about our work.
The most enjoyable part of the job/work is that we share common beliefs and goals in life. I have great support and respect in my colleagues as well as members.

4.4