First Baptist Church Employee Reviews

Great work environment with a very caring staff
Pastor's Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 7, 2016
My tasks changed during my employment at FBC, Winston-Salem. I was hired as the senior pastor's secretary. My first weeks were spent catching up where the previous secretary had left off, with huge piles of back up filing. There was no one to give me any training. I just had to jump right in and learn the ropes on my own. I scheduled appointments, made travel arrangements and managed his schedule with Google Calendar. I reviewed spending and maintained confidentiality of private funding for counseling clients, created and maintained Excel spreadsheets and insured data integrity and accuracy, and assisted him with sermon research and study materials.

Several months into my employment the pastor retired. I had no prior knowledge of his plan to do so, but FBC kept me on as an office administrator. My responsibility was the production of a portion of the weekly church bulletin using MS Publisher, the publishing and distribution of the weekly e-newsletter using Constant Contact and the maintenance of portions of the church website using Joomla content management framework. I enjoyed this part of my job very much and was introduced to some very basic HTML.
Supportive place to work in, many benefits
Director of Adult Education (Current Employee) –  McAlester, OKDecember 11, 2015
A fulfilling place to be. I have had many years of work here, having been through many changes of staff. I have learned so much, especially to be flexible, to be a team player with many staff workers. I have enjoyed working in management with paid employees as well as with volunteers who work so diligently year after year.
Maybe the hardest part of the job, yet what makes it so diverse, is the difference in the personalities and ages of people on staff. It can be a challenge. At the same time, this is what keeps us fresh, hearing so many different perspectives and ideas on how to go about our work.
The most enjoyable part of the job/work is that we share common beliefs and goals in life. I have great support and respect in my colleagues as well as members.
great place
Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 28, 2015
People are very helpful and grateful in the FBC in richmond, Virginia. All FBC member are awesome. Supervisor and co-worker are so understandable.
Good Work Environment
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 27, 2015
Good place to work and grow. Have a great flexible schedule; however, little room for growth. Growth, retirement, health insurance, vision and hearing.
Breakroom was nice and free coffee
Accounts Payable Clerk / Insurance Liaison (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 22, 2015
A/P for monthly invoices and match up Purchase Orders, Run checks, Verify employees credit card bills, and follow up with outstanding invoices. Great co-workers and management. Getting PO back in order to match up with invoices to pay.
Pros
Healthcare and 401k benefits
Cons
not many vacations days
It was Awesome
Paid Intern (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, ARNovember 18, 2015
Great place to work with a wonderful Mentor and great Management. It was all about getting things done as a team, and having it be effective, whether that was copying papers, grabbing some food for a little pow-wow, or writing lessons for the entire congregation to hear. Overall, I loved it, it was an amazing three months and I learned a whole lot from it.
Pros
Free Lunch sometimes, Great Environment, Great people
Cons
Internship, Frequent Trips, Lots of last minute changes.
Great place to work.
Church Secretary (Former Employee) –  Winchester, KYNovember 16, 2015
I really enjoyed this job. Had to keep up with everything, and working for them was the best. Doing everything for the members at the church was fun and relaxing.
Pros
Wonderful place to work.
Cons
Having to leave was the worst thing.
Spiritual, Caring, and loving environment
Church Secretary (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARNovember 12, 2015
Unlock building,pick up mail, retrieve messages off phone, make coffee, check calendar for any actives at the church.
Pros
I work alone most of the time.
Cons
No retirement plan.
Fun workplace
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Archie, MONovember 10, 2015
It was great to play with the little kids all day! The hardest part of my job was putting them in time out. The most enjoyable part was when everyone got to go out on the playground, they were all so happy when they got to go outside. My co-workers were a lot of fun, it was a very enjoyable place to work.
Beautiful location
Pastor (Former Employee) –  Sonoma, CANovember 9, 2015
A typical day of work was checking emails, sending out new visitor letters, visiting members in the hospital, counseling people in marriage and life issues, teaching Bible studies, doing premarital counseling, performing weddings and funerals, conducting worship services, evaluating programs and systems, planning and leading leadership meetings.

The hardest part of the job for me was administrative. I am much stronger in people skills. The funnest part of the job was working with people.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Working alone during the week.
Great environment
Secretary to the Sr. Pastor and Music Minister (Former Employee) –  Harrah, OKNovember 5, 2015
I loved working at FBC Harrah. I was close to home and my family. I was also a member there, so getting to be around my church family was awesome. I enjoyed helping the community also.
Praise the Lord
Custodian and Sanitation Tec (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAOctober 19, 2015
Great place to worship and praise the lord while keeping the place nice clean and safe for the members that attend. I have worked for the church for the past 4 years also attend the church for the past 27 years. Proud of the place that I take care of and worship at.
Satisfying environment for visible accomplishments
Senior Pastor (Current Employee) –  Deptford, NJOctober 17, 2015
Days starts at 9:00 Am until 8:00 PM -- Tuesday through Friday

Learned Community interaction and involvement

I was the lead manager and trainer of other leaders

Hardest part of the job -- 24/7

Most enjoyable part of job -- people interaction and growth of individuals
Pros
Satisfaction of evidencing progress in people
Cons
Constant starting over in training as new people joined
Exciting opportunity to reach a diverse community for Christ
Senior Pastor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 12, 2015
I have served as the Pastor of this church for a total of 12 years. The church has some wonderful people in it's membership. There are also some controlling and difficult people.
The church is placed in a strategic location to reach the military families from MacDill AFB
Pros
loving, caring people
Cons
negative influences are very strong
Good place to work if you are self motivated.
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Raton, NMSeptember 30, 2015
I started working at this church because the pastors are good people and easy to work for but also because I wanted to do something to keep me in shape. With the three floors in the church building and all the outside maintenance to do, plus taking care of the offices across the street, kept me very busy, which I like a lot.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No health Insuance
rewarding
childcare (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXSeptember 29, 2015
I do this job for the kids. I have a knack for teaching and love sharing the love of God with the kids. I get to bring my own kids and sometimes they are even in my class. On the best of days I get to just sit and rock babies. I have been there so long, I have gotten to watch children grow up from babies, to grade school kids, who accept Christ as their Lord and savior and are baptized and it's so rewarding knowing that I was a part of that.
Pros
accommodating
Cons
not enough hours available
Rewarding and fun place to work
Church Secretary (Former Employee) –  Keystone Heights, FLSeptember 26, 2015
A typical day began with staff meeting and assignment of any additional work activities that were out of the ordinary. Typical days activities included:
Clerical work (filing,emails, letters, brochures, bulletins, etc)
Handling and routing phone calls,
Computer and internet work,
Dealing with contractors, sales persons, daycare workers and those church and community members (some in need of help) that visited the church office.

Learned how to manage a one person office; uickBooks application for payroll, bill paying and budget. Trouble shooting office equipment to avoid technical support. Managing calendars for all staff; updating websites. Networking with other churches and church organizations who are able to help others asking for assistance.

Reported directly to Sr. Pastor, who was considerate, kind and helpful, but also demanded excellence and perfection. He was a pleasure to work for. Co-workers were also pastors. They were easy to work with, always supportive, helpful and willing to help when necessary.

The hardest (maybe not hardest, but most stressful) part of the job was doing payroll -- making sure all hours accounted, caring for any garnishments, and paychecks were correct.

Most enjoyable was the fellowship, respect, mission and fun we shared as co-workers.
Pros
Rewarding work; very little stress. Respect shared by all. Fun place to work.
Cons
Low pay; no benefits (although I had my own)
Camp Harlow Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 22, 2015
Great community and great group of counselors and staff members was the best summer i have ever had and was a great experience and an amazing place
Fun supportive
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Douglas, GASeptember 21, 2015
Ability to work with children at various levels of development.
Great environment among co workers. Christian based environment which taught bible as well as other primary skills,
Pros
friendly
Pastor of Student Ministry (Former Employee) –  Skiatook, OKSeptember 20, 2015
The work environment at FBC Skiatook is manageable, however one particular staff member wants to be in charge and is not. Still he manages to undermine and usurp others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Baptist Church. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4