First Book is an award winning, nonprofit that provides new books and educational materials to children in need throughout the United States and Canada. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 100 million books to schools and programs serving children from low-income families – from birth through age 18. A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book has pioneered groundbreaking channels to provide educators serving children in need with permanent access to high-quality books and educational resources for free and at deeply reduced prices. By harnessing the power of the private sector to advance social change, First Book is helping transform the quality of education for children in need. First Book has been highlighted by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, Fast Company and Forbes magazines, The Oprah Winfrey Show, and the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. First Book is also the subject of case studies at Columbia Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics.
About the position: First Book is applying technology and business approaches to the challenge of providing all children in the US and Canada with access to books. First Book currently serves more than 20,000 Title I schools, afterschool initiatives, clinics, shelters, and a wide variety of other programs serving children in need. Though powerful, First Book is only reaching a small fraction of the approximately 2 million programs and Title I classrooms eligible for our help. We have exciting opportunities to use technology to serve more and more of these programs and are looking for a Web Applications Programmer to join our technology team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Development and maintenance of First Book web applications built using open source technologies, custom applications, or new module specifications
- Ensure quality of work through development and implementation of QA procedures and standards
- Research, develop logic, code, test, and deploy several Web projects with minimal assistance
- Build a PHP web application from the ground up, as well as modify and build on existing code
- 4-5 years of Information Technology experience
- Willingness to work in a structured team environment
- Experience with building highly interactive, highly trafficked, database driven web applications
- Must have strong SQL query development experience
- Exposure to Magento or any ecommerce product is highly desirable
Technical Skill Set
- Good understanding of object oriented programming and programming principles
- Comprehensive understanding of the PHP programming language
- Highly developed knowledge of Web protocols and programming requirements
- Superior familiarity of UNIX operating system (primarily Linux) and Apache
- Advanced knowledge of MySQL database (developer fundamentals)
- Exposure to Magento ecommerce product suite desirable
First Book provides access to new books for children in need.
To date, First Book has distributed more than 100 million books and...