First Citizens Bank Employee Reviews

Stressful
Employee Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 16, 2017
Since starting with another bank, it is now clear to me just how bad FCB was. Poor management, the wrong people in positions, favoritism, overworked, the list goes on and on. This company is taking in too much too quickly at the expense of their associates.
Pros
Challenging environment
Cons
The stress will kill you
Good work place.
Sales and Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 14, 2017
Good work place and amazing benefits. Pay could always be better as in most jobs. Otherwise great company to work for. Promotions in the Wilmington area are really hard to come by as competition is VERY stiff.
Typical financial institution
TELLER II (Former Employee) –  Conway, SC 29526November 7, 2017
Being a teller (know known as sales associate) is a fast-paced position with attention to detail, excellent cash handling and superior customer service a must. I did not enjoy having to cross-sell, since I felt it put additional pressure on the teller line and should be done on the platform side of the bank. Excellent benefits, but there is no flexibility in this position with regard to days worked, etc.
Pros
excellent benefits, paid holidays
Cons
having to cross-sell products to existing customers
Not the best but not the worst
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2017
Company offers great benefits. Starts you with 160hrs of PTO. Co-workers were cool for the most part. Management was okay besides my branch's assistant manager. Overall, I liked it. Didn't like the fact though that there's not much room for advancement in Houston being that there's only two branches. If I wanted to move up, I had to move out of the city
would not recommend
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2017
The work itself is interesting. The stress upper management places on subordinates creates extremely low morale. Banking in general used to have a friendly, customer service work environment, but it has become a extremely high pressure sales/goal oriented job.
Pros
good hours
Cons
extremely low morale
It has gone down hill
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 1, 2017
FCB was an amazing place to work, until they became more focused on buying failing banks. They started to higher managers that were awful to their employees and didn't notice. Micro-managers who didn't trust employees who had been there over 10, 20, 30 years to do their jobs. They started to drive out the "long timers" to bring in younger people, at a lower pay... Good luck to them getting the same quality of work they did from the committed employees. I know my days are limited.
Great Training
Mortgage Construcion (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 1, 2017
Very busy and always learning something new.

Everyone worked together to get the job done.

Very fast paced.

Great office environment, like celebrating birthdays and such.
Pros
Great people
Cons
For me I had no benefits.
Relaxed yet busy environment to work in
CBO Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 31, 2017
I loved the work that I got to do, just didn't get enough hours per week to drive into the city where the job was located. I only left the company to do a different type of job with my husband. I would work for First Citizens Bank again if given the opportunity.
Pros
Easy work environment
Cons
hours not what I thought I would get
It was a very productive bank
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eaton, COOctober 31, 2017
I enjoyed working for Bank one. I all ways stayed busy. We had a great team. It wasn't stressful and people supported one another and our manager was very supportive and not afraid to teach what needed to be taught.The hardest part of working there were the robberies.
Pros
great bennifits
Great Place to Work
SBA Closing Manger/AVP/Asst. Secretary/Officer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 30, 2017
Love FCB...great atmosphere, great morale, not stressful and always looking to promote from within. Glad I relocated to be here! Manager is wonderful.
Stable & steadfast, don't expect much to happen quickly.
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 29, 2017
This is a great bank all around, to work for and to have accounts at. Your management team will dictate your experience with the bank. Some micro-manage because they came from places like Wells Fargo, some are more relational managers.

Make sure you have political savvy before attempting to navigate across business lines. You can be the top dog and still not get what you want, a higher position or more pay. In the areas you WANT to work in, there is very little turnover- so you will need to wait out an opportunity. Be wary of high turnover areas, that illuminates poor management issues.

The training program lacks luster. Don't expect to be coached to better your skills. You will not be managed to elevate your skills. Most managers don't even know how to properly manage although they receive the more training than other positions.

Policies and procedures are not followed on a consistent basis, causing client upsets- one branch allows xyz, another branch doesn't. Customer becomes irate, understandably so.

This is not a write-up atmosphere or high pressured. If your management team previously worked at Wells Fargo, they may be more micro-managing than you will prefer. Managers are not managed so you may have one that is never in the office, comes in late and leaves early or some variation.

There are many sales focuses and come from all directions without much notice. There are incentives but they may stop so don't count on them, at first they were easy to obtain and then the goalpost got harder. There are yearly recognition outings for the top performers.
  more...
Food gifts such as lunches are used as recognition tools. If your branch is short-staffed you may have to work through lunch but they will pay for your lunch. Overtime is not allowed unless approved by manager.

The customers are the best part of your job, helping them and watching them become more successful financially. You can do that at any bank but First Citizens is worth working for - just be aware. Benefits are good, there is no stock option.
Pros
Stable company, Good benefits
Cons
Management, Training
Hands on Training, unfortunately its contract work
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 29, 2017
Team training environment, great experience, as a contract employee the financial compensation is not great for the amount of work expected enjoyable colleagues.
Fun Place To Gain Experience
Strategic Projects Officer, VP (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 27, 2017
It is difficult to manage an executive positon there with small children. If you are willing and able to work hard...you will be rewarded. The demands of an executive role there, while raising a family, can be overwhelming. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with customer relationship management data.
Pros
Beautiful offices.
Cons
Many years ago, lack of flexibility for women in the work place.
Cash Department
Cash Administration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 24, 2017
First Citizens Bank bought out Guaranty Bank on May 5, 2017. Since then, none of my workload has changed. I deal with the mortgages and credit builders each day. I also answer emails regarding any issues or questions they have regarding the loans I handle.
Worst Company Ever
Customer Care Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 23, 2017
Yes this company would pay pretty well for working overtime yet they would make you work through your lunch some times. Supervisors would spread personal information with colleagues
Pros
Cons
overall the worst company
Nice environment but very hard to move up
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAOctober 23, 2017
Best Bank is a great place to work but requires a lot of time the hours are crazy and its the only bank that was open 7 days a week very time consuming
Well established bank with plans for continued growth
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 23, 2017
FCB is a financial institution that is continually looking to grow and expand its footprint. As a result it acquires new regional banks and assimilates their data, and in some rare cases their employees. The environment isn't bad to work in, and the benefits are good, but unfortunately the pay is sub-par.
Intern
Personal Wealth Advisory Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 19, 2017
I was a summer intern. Everyone was super helpful and doors were always open when I had a question. Kept in touch with managers and ended up working with FCB two years later. Highly recommend the intern program.
Pros
Learning
Unknown
Supervisor Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Harper Woods, MIOctober 16, 2017
First citizens bank took over Best bank. Best bank went bankrupt and sold the company. It left everun employee unemployed. It was closed down by the FDIC
Personal Banker / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeville, MNOctober 16, 2017
This place was very salesy. They forced you to stand out in the aisle and hound people into opening checking accoun they would never use. Part of the reason I'm leaving retail banking.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Citizens Bank. Our community is ready to answer.