First Citizens Employee Reviews in United States

Typical Day at First Citizens Bank
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Swansboro, NCJanuary 24, 2016
I come in and get my drawer out of vault. Then I set my window up for the time I will be working. I wait on customers and handle cashing checks, issuing Cashiers Checks, taking loan and mortgage payments. I also process deposits from personal and commercial customers. I look at customers accounts and if I see there is a need to talk with them about additional services that the bank has to offer, if the customer does not already have it, I send the customer over to our Financial Sales Representative for them to talk with the customer in more detail about that particular service. I also do outbound courtesy calls to existing customers. Then I balance my drawer at the end of day. Afterwards I put my cash drawer back in vault and leave.
Pros
Full Health Benefits
Cons
Horrible employer - will fire for no reason
Systems Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 10, 2016
Constantly firing people, but the higher management does not realize that their middle management has almost no skills.. I was provided very little training and absolutely no formal training or feedback from my manager.
Pros
Pay and benefits...
Cons
poor management, don't care about people, culture of firing people, it is like the mafia where you just disappear one day. No job security
good thing is work/life balance
FSR (Current Employee) –  Your Town, YSSeptember 1, 2015
This company's slogan should be "Nepotism is alive and well here!" Let's say you are meeting and in some cases exceeding company's standards. Well, it really doesn't matter because if your Regional Executive President has a friend that needs a job you are gone. Also, the REP has to like you so you move up in the company. So if you are liked and you just show up to work you will be promoted even if you have no experience in banking. It really sucks to work with this company, plus there is no acknowledgement when a client praises you or you get a perfect customer service score.

Their benefits are horrible. But unfortunately, we need to be grateful that they offer something coverage is just bad and they don't believe in covering LGBT partners.
Pros
Out by 5:15
Cons
Nepotism
Productive and fun workplace at times
Loan Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 28, 2016
Work under a fast paced production with a deadline, had some co-workers to work as a team and management was very understanding with personal matters.
Pros
Have a decent salary
Cons
Over worked at times
Enjoyed the job, didn't like the politics
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 2, 2016
I enjoyed my job, providing HR direction and assistance to other associates of the bank. Changes in the overall management of the HR area allowed for too much office/management politics, which in turn made it difficult to stay positive within my job. Changes of job responsibilities to more of a call center atmosphere was a factor in my decision to leave employment.
Pros
Coworkers, other associates within organization
Cons
Office politics, no advancement opportunity within my position
Stay away if you value having a job!
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 16, 2016
Several of the other reviews have hit this on the head. This bank does not have the reputation for firing people for no reason! I did at least get a written warning and in my manager's words I had improved in several areas within the 90 days. What happened seven days later? Adios amigo! I agree with some of the other reviews here because my manager was completely inept with no thoughts to actual coaching or giving encouragement. This person's only thought was to demand perfection and you were written off if you did not toe her line.

My co-workers were nice though. They would pitch in when needed and there was some team work going on.
Pros
The corporate office was near a lot of restaurants so you could get away for a few minutes at lunch.
Cons
poor management, attitude of firing people rather than developing them
One of the Best Banks to work for!
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 19, 2016
First Citizens Bank is a wonderful business to work for! They are a family owned company and have been extremely profitable over the years. They are a company with a focus on innovation, one that has always focused on meeting and keeping up with their customer's ever changing needs. I thoroughly enjoyed working for First Citizens and if it were on the west coast (east coast operation only at the moment), would readily apply to my area's local branch. A wonderful place to work!
Pros
401k plan, health benefits (to include family members), professional atmosphere, innovative, quality products, genuine concern for clientele, vacation time, opportunities to relocate/advance
Cons
Each branch will be different depending on the surrounding area/market (not exactly a con though)
Productive team oriented environment
Adjustments Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 22, 2016
I learned the back end of correcting the banks policy's and procedures. I learned all the bank operations system database and the management as well as the co-workers were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. First Citizens by far was the best job and opportunity I was given the pleasure to work for. The bank managers at the various branches made my job a pleasure. Unfortunately this was a contract job and the company moved to North Carolina. This was a one year temporary position. All my communication was done through outlook throughout the different branches with the tellers and the leaders. I would say the hardest part at times was having the tellers/leaders understand why we had to debit or credit the customers accounts and fix or undo what the tellers did which was done in error. I worked both as a teller and now as the bank operation division so I could relate how different the two can be.
Pros
rewarded with free lunches for hard work done. Treated their employees extremely well.
Cons
no healthcare/ contract job
Undergoing positive changes
Senior Project Manager (contract) (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 22, 2015
Undergoing lots of positive changes so takes a lot of hard work from employees to implement them. Great work life balance. Good training benefits for employees. Good salary.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
lots of organizational and process changes ongoing
Great
Fanatical services Rep (Current Employee) –  Aurora CoSeptember 14, 2015
Have been here for 5+ years and my Boss has treated me well just wish I made more and could move up in the company. Micromanaging isn't super bad here and the benefits are really great.
Professional and secure work environment
Float Sales and Services Repersinitive (Former Employee) –  Buncombe County, NCMay 12, 2016
Very scheduled work day which I like - however I was a float teller which meant I had to travel to work and it was hard doing so with a new baby.

I learned everything about banking and all is listed on resume.

Very professional and understanding management.

Easy to get along with coworkers .

Travling to a different branch everyday.

Pay, benefits, security, and professionalism.
Pros
Steady hours, hour lunch break, pay, benefits
Cons
being a float teller and no openings for a stationary position
Growing company with many new opportunities.
Loan Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 17, 2015
Due to mergers and acquisitions, the company has grown tremendously over the past five years. There are frequent opportunities to learn new skills and systems which can be both stressful and rewarding depending on your outlook. Management and coworkers are generally very supportive. The company tends to promote from within.
Pros
Opportunities to move around internally, positive corporate culture, onsite cafeteria
Cons
Lack of schedule flexibility, low pay when moving up internally
Good company to work for.
MORTGAGE DIVISION EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, NCJuly 19, 2015
First Citizens is a good company to work for. Great people and good benefits. Management is typical of any large company. The most enjoyable part of the job is always keeping busy and my co-workers.
First Citizens was an excellent place to work with outstanding management.
Commercial Resolution Manager (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAApril 18, 2016
First Citizens acquired a failed bank from the FDIC. This was just a difficult environment to work under. However, First Citizens made the transition as smooth as possible. It was once again enjoyable coming to work.
Pros
Management was excellent and they would listen and consider your opinions.
Cons
IT software was not windows based. Computers were downgraded to match home office.
fine place to work.
Teller/ Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Polson, MTJune 7, 2016
I have enjoyed working at First Citizens Bank. The people have been delightful to work with, and I enjoy the customer relations. However I have also been sorely disappointed in the lack of appreciation from the employers. We do not have benefits for part time workers and minimal benefits for full time workers. There are also no raises given to loyal employees.
Pros
Holidays off, and 8-5 work day
Cons
No payraises, no overtime, no benefits
Excellent Team
Technical Team Lead / Domain Architect (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 23, 2016
I left on personal reason, but this was the best team and culture for a bank. The management were supportive and innovative.
Pros
Culture- Supportive
Slow and steady
Auditor III (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 5, 2016
Slow corporate culture that is stuck in the past and reluctantly modernizing. Good place for steady employment if you do not want to get ahead quickly.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Slow to promote
In the accounting and finance area...people just disappear
Sr Acquisition Accounting Project Leader (Former Employee) –  NCDecember 11, 2014
First Citizens is known as the firing bank for good reason. I wish I had more information before I signed up to work there. The accounting and finance area is in a shambles. People are fired all the time and the people who have been there for years are being pushed down the totem pole.

Management is definitely cut throat, and had unreal expectations. My manager in particular should never be in the position to be a manger of people, she may be a good accountant but had no management skills at all. One example of this was when you make a mistake you are reprimanded, but when you ask for help so you don't make the mistake again you are told "go figure it out yourself, that is what I did". One other good example is being told "you either have it or you don't and I (meaning the manger) do". All I can say is that when all your employees are on anti anxiety and anti depressant meds there is something wrong.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management culture, almost everything else
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Customer Service representative/Teller (Former Employee) –  Princes Town, TrinidadJanuary 26, 2016
First I concentrate on how to organize my day in order to take full advantage of the day. In a banking environment, I open savings accounts for customers and answer customers’ question. As a teller, I do withdraw deposits and cashed checks. I also verify money at ATM

In a school environment, I supervised and assisted with chemistry labs, and I graded assignments

At work, I learned to become independent while remaining a functional part of the team. In working as a team-member, it helps me to come up with solution as a team member or in a leading role situation if needed. I also learned how to better correspond with my surrounding, and interact professionally better with my coworkers and our customers. From management, I learned to be productive and to be able to fully function under stress, and since I am willing to learn new thing to better sharpen my skill, I excel from what I learn at every opportunities given to me

I don't know, maybe I’ve been fortunate, I have never in any of the jobs I’ve held, been able to identify something that was the hardest about my work or my working environments. Also in any of the place that I worked, there was nothing that I found to be exceedingly hard or difficult that wasn't a plus for my skill
Pros
Meet great people with different experience and viewpoint
Cons
Great place to work! Just wished I had stayed!
Bank Teller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chester, SCJanuary 16, 2015
I loved this job! I just wished they hadn't put me on part time! It was to have been this other lady but she had more seniority over me. A typical day at work was good. Was very busy on the 3rd of the month and Fridays. I loved all my coworkers. We had great management and we all got alone. The hardest part of the job was when you are out of balance, but you find it because of an error you did! The most enjoyable part was helping my customers especially the elderly ones. I regret leaving that job!!!!!
Pros
we would go to mcdonalds for breakfast before the bank opens up
Cons
i had health care and the benefits were good