First Command Financial Services, Inc.

First Command Financial Services, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company to work with
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 16, 2016
FC has a high performance organization culture where goals are set in advance to be accomplished every year. Great atmosphere and benefits.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, on site Gym, etc.
Lack of honor
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 29, 2016
Hiring was a lie, working daily with managers...another lie . Very high turn over , co. Lacking any values. Selfish, self centered egotistical managers.
I even felt that when I was interviewing!
Another rep wrote this paragraph earlier and I couldn't agree more!
And... What's with the smoke and mirrors on the pay scale, who in heck makes the commission structures so confusing that nobody can figure them out!
Obviously they are written for the co to take more of your hard earned $ .
Sales people are treated so badly everywhere and without is you wouldn't even have the sales !
Read this one again posted earlier.......
They lie to get you in and can kick you out anytime they want. Once you bring in business it's theirs and you have no control over keeping that client or not and once you leave you can not solicit business from any "First Command" clients that you brought on board. Do not even think of building a financial practice through them. Go through your contract and you will know what I mean. Once you sign the contract, they own you, even though they call you "independent". Very shady and dishonest operation starting from lower management all the way to the Top!
Pros
Liars, products aren't competitive
Cons
Trying to find a reason to show up everyday
Good place to work if you have another income and/or need flexibility in work hours
Office manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 16, 2016
Typical work day is administrative duties: compliance, prep & processing of client appointments, payroll, marketing reimbursement, reports, meetings, etc. Co-workers are mainly retired military and/or military spouses. Hardest part of the job is not having a set planned out day. You handle tasks as situations come up during the day. Most enjoyable part of the job is that you learn something new everyday
Pros
Work schedule flexibility
Cons
No benefits
No opportunity for career advancement
Brokerage Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 25, 2016
Everday is the same. You are held back when it comes to learning more materials. There is no room for advancement and management holds you back from being able to do so. Management isn't very organized or together. Coworkers are good, however, there is heavy turn over in employees.
Pros
Coworkers are nice
Cons
No room for advancement and management holds you back from being able to advance on.
Family Oreinted
Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 7, 2016
Most of the people that have worked for FC have been with the company 10,20,30+ yars. It's a very small, family oriented company.
Excellent, Effective and Efficient in Providing Structure
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 1, 2016
.The Company invested a tremendous amount of money in providing the necessary tools for a person to be successful. They always had “How To” manuals for agents to follow to stay on track.
Good company losing their way
IT person (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 1, 2016
Once upon a time this was a good company. Chief officers were changed and company has been sliding into mediocrity ever since. IT Department is not a good area to work in.

IT Management is very political - not very skilled. Most solid IT staff has moved on.

Other departments are better and field staff (Advisors) are great.
There are much better options
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 28, 2016
I signed up with them at one time and thought at first they were the real deal. However it did not take long to realize they just want to sell a bunch of while life policies (the worst investment product available. You can sell other stuff, but if you do not buy into the idea of whole life they do not need you around. Some of the managers are genuinely nice guys, but the type of business they are doing is not in the best insterest of their clients in my opinion. They are largely retired military there they have access to bases ans such and it would appear they prey on our armed services people(again my opinion)= which is almost always right). Selling whole life as an investment tool is not solid financial advice. you could do virtually anything else and get a better return. They tend to churn through reps as well. a few stick around once they have gotten enough orphan clients to make a living.
Pros
nices guys
Cons
See my write up
Great learning experience
Financial Advisor/Stockbroker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Would refer to others. Good platform to start and first year compensation. Met some great people, good location and benefits.
Ugghh
Financial Adviser (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKOctober 22, 2015
They helped me with series 7 & 66. That's about the only good thing there.
I did not like the culture. very pushy. not for everyone.
Good Company
Paraplanner and Auditor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 7, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Encouraged to grow and develop with mentors. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleague and learning from them.
Pros
Smaller Financial Company more of a family feel
Cons
I worked a lot of overtime on salary
Sales Job
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 2, 2015
First Command has the tools people need to succeed from great training programs to a competitive wage. Your success in this company will come from your own drive and client relationships.
Pros
Freedom and owning your own business
Cons
After a year, you become and become an independent contractor, and lose the salary as well as you pick up an office bill
Great environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 6, 2015
Excellent opportunity for professional growth. Enjoyed working with all the staff, at all levels - from the CEO to the janitorial staff. It was a great family environment.
Good company but way behind the times
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  UndesclosedJune 30, 2015
Great company, great culture and a pretty solid comp plan (if you can figure it out). The biggest issue is technology, lack of products and a regime change that has you selling product as opposed to solving problems. If you can sell insurance, you'll do well. If you have a book of business and investment clients, not the right place to be.
Pros
Culture, Management, Solid bottom line.
Cons
Confusing comp plan, not enough products
Daily Job Duties
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCApril 24, 2015
My job consist of maintaining one or more Advisor's client database, and can include anywhere from 400 or more clients. Time management and the ability to multi-task are extremely important. Time is of the essence when a client comes in to open a new Investment account or start a new Life Insurance policy. Clients want to make sure that they are taking full advantage the current stock market values, therefore, once the application is completed it is sent to the Investment company for processing and for the contributions to investment to start. Insurance is handle the same way because one the application is signed the client will be covered by temporary cover until issued. All clients accounts have to be handle as according to compliance and the SEC.
Not only am I responsible for making sure that accounts are open and insurance policies are issued, I will also do all of the follow up calls to make sure that everything was received by the companies. I make sure that I maintain contact with the clients so that I can answer any questions that they may have or assistance. I maintain my email/calendar along with the Advisor's, and take all calls in his/her absence.
Pros
Great team and flex schedule
Cons
No healthcare or 401(k)
Great opportunity for entrepreneurial-minded people
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, ILApril 20, 2015
A typical day is preparing folders for clients scheduled for a financial review, meeting with clients to review financial goals, progress, and next steps, making follow-up and confirmation calls, and developing marketing ideas. I learned a great deal about selecting the appropriate financial instruments to achieve a specific goal. Management was very supportive and the entire team worked together even though everyone was operating their own business. I enjoyed developing financial plans the most.
Pros
You control your calendar and agenda
Cons
Constantly seeking out new clients
Bad advisor good company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 8, 2015
The individual advisor I worked for was not all that person was cracked up to be. The company itself is a great institution that works hard for it's clients and is professional.
Pros
Great company
Cons
bad advisor
Making Dreams Happen One Plan @ A Time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 2, 2015
A typical day at First Command Financial Planning consisted of proposing and developing financial portfolios including investment strategies, securities, insurance, pension plans, real estate and taxes to assist financial planners proposing money management strategies for individuals and businesses.

I learned how to gather client information regarding assets, liabilities, cash flow, insurance coverage, tax status and financial objectives and assisted financial planners in analyzing and developing a financial plan tailored to client's needs.

My co-workers were encouraging and knowledgeable.

The hardest part of working at First Command Financial Planning was not being able to help a handful of clients make their dreams a reality.

The part that I enjoyed most about this job was being able to assist clients in visualizing their potential in reference to what they can achieve overtime and int he future.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
lack of benefits
The work place was very friendly and we still keep in touch.
Certified Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 4, 2015
A total of six (6) agents and a District Manager worked in the same building and for the same company, but each agent was independent.

A very pleasant office to work in.

I prepared all of the paperwork for each of his appointments. Updated the clients file after the meeting.

I made friends among the employees of the other agents in the office, and we still keep in touch after all of these years.
Pros
the clients were very enjoyable to work with.
Cons
no benefits offered.
First Command was an enjoyable place to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GADecember 19, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of sitting at my desk, taking phone calls from clients, insurance companies, and investment companies. I also typed up client profiles, their life insurance contracts, and did their investment contracts,What I learned is how life insurance and investments work. My management was very efficient whenever anything was needed, and it all got done in a timely manner. My co-workers made the work environment a professionally enjoyable place to work. The hardest part of the job was dealing with death claims, as one begins to find themselves becoming attached to the families they work with as the professional relationship progresses forward. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help my clients leave a legacy behind for their loved ones.
Pros
dental benefits, paid travel, paid training
Cons
the hours were on holidays sometimes which took away from family time.

2.8