First Communications Employee Reviews

Good company
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2017
Love this company location when I worked for them. The people were nice and friendly. The benefits were good and pay was good. Quiet environment. Try working for them.
Fun people to work with
Strategic Solutions Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJuly 7, 2017
There were many challenges, but over all people were enjoyable to work with. I held multiple job functions, that interfered with my primary goal as a Sale Engineer.
Pros
The people were very pleasant to work with
Cons
Healthcare Benefits
Nothing Good to say...
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILMay 10, 2017
I have nothing to share regarding this company. Do your research, apply carefully, read carefully when it comes to the reviews that are out there.............
Stay away
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILMarch 28, 2017
This company is quickly going down the toilet. The president of the company openly admitted that they are not profitable and need to make changes in order to grow. The easiest way for them to do that is by getting rid of employees. Account managers have been let go with due to management shortcomings and haven't been replaced. This is created a heavy workload on all other individuals and is creating negative customer experience. The negative customer experience is making customers leave, thus creating negative growth. Without a HUGE overhaul in management and strategy the company will continue to bleed money and get rid of quality people for no apparent reason.
Pros
Cons
See above
Account Executive
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Fairlawn OHOctober 17, 2016
This is an entry level position regardless of title. Expected to cold call on the phone 8 hours a day. Selling process is very antiquated. They represent hundreds of products and no training.-disparate systems. The CRM is useless. As a sales rep you are competing with Account managers and channel managers in the same office for the same business causing in fighting.

This is a consultative sale process. Management drives a transactional sales process. The expectation is that you run 8-10 appointments a week and if you aren't -you are making 80+ phone calls a day.

They claim to have an open door policy however that is not the case.
Pros
Nice office, staff is friendly
Cons
systems are outdated, no use of social media-old school sales process
Very flexible work hours and healthy work relationship with Management
Network Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILJuly 17, 2016
You are empowered to get whatever work activities done as long as the job is done. What manner of tools you use or the time it takes on special projects is not micro-managed.

You are exposed to a wide variety of networking platforms.
You cannot learn everything that is there.
It is a company poised to explode in this business segment. There are opportunities to grow in skill level sets and even be able to take leadership roles.

Very hard to leave this company because of the environment here.

I wish the pay was more but unfortunately we have to follow the industry.
Pros
Good relationship with management, flexible work hours including overtime.
Cons
Pay could be better. Still a growing company so new challenges are always present.
Customer Service Agent
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 23, 2016
Customer Service Agent February 2007 – September 2008
Resolve customer issues, Schedule service calls, Payment processing
This was a phone company
Productive workplace
Account Executive/Sales Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2015
Good place to work with good management in place to train new hires. Good base pay with great commission structure. Realistic monthly quota.
Field service tech
Field service technician (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 2, 2015
Repaired mobile communications equipment
Learned electronics and computer networking
Management advanced workers from withing workforce
Coworkers were somewhat cooperative
Enjoyed working in the field.
Company has no vision
SENIOR SALES EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2015
Not sure how this company will remain open much longer. People work in silos in hope that nobody discovers what they actually do for the comppany.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Doing pointless work and everyone
Good enegry/ Family Enivronment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Thomasville, GAMarch 6, 2015
I opened and closed the business Mon-Fri. I usually ran the office due to the fact everyone was always out on a customer service call or marketing/sales. I made sure all incoming messages was delivered or calls returned. I made work orders via email and/or 2 way and also handled shipping and handling. Before the end of each month I made sure that all accounts were in the positive via Billing/Collections. I learned that a good environment promotes happier employees.
Pros
A lot of responsibility to keep the office functional
Cons
It was a temporary position
Relaxed Atmosphere
Marketing Assistant /Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioFebruary 10, 2015
The sales support position was a good learning experience to understand more about what happens "behind the scenes" of the sales team, but overall no growth or commission opportunities were available to help your career advance.
Pros
Laid back work atmosphere, great boss, good coworkers
Cons
Low pay for amount of work, no advancement opportunities
Great CEO
Vice President, Business Development (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 4, 2014
First Communications provided good benefits and compensation. Their CEO was an excellent leader, with great interpersonal skills. The employees were eager to learn and tackle new challenges. Since I managed a subsidiary business unit (SBU) that was separate from the core company, my only corporate direction was P&L responsibility.
Pros
Allowed to manage in my own style.
Cons
Lack of job security.
Management party
Director/General Manager, Convergent Technlgs Div. (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 4, 2014
Started out as a great company, but then investor group got starz in their eyes about going public, then the train went off the rails Company lost focus on customers, just focused on the "next deal" to get money. Screwed the employees that built the company.
Pros
Pd the bills
Cons
Loss of focus on customers and employees.
Productive and fun working place to be employeed
Supervisor, Cellular Department (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 25, 2014
A typical day at First Communications included assigning and processing order along with receiving incoming calls.

What I learned from management is to be strong and know your job inside and out.

My co-workers were AWESOME!!

The hardest part of the job was when we were short staffed and it happened to fall on one of our busiest days.

The most enjoyable part was coming together as a team.
Pros
A lot of after works activites
Cons
Short staffed
They need some work....
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 12, 2014
No little to no training provided, little supervisor agent interaction, no coaching and feedback. Pay increases are about $.25 per year. (yeah you read it correctly) and no room for advancement.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
no advancement opportunities, raises are pretty much non existent
Decent place to work.
Customer Care Rep (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 30, 2013
First Communications is an ok place to work. The day to day tasks aren't too strenuous, but there is no structure within the company. One day we do things a certain way, then the next day we're reprimanded for using the same process as we were told to use the day before. I've learned a great deal about the telecommunications field. I enjoy all of my co-workers, everyone here is such a pleasure. The hardest part of the job is applying the rapidly changing policies within the company. Most enjoyable part is the employees.
Great place to work!
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 6, 2013
I iniated new business through teleprospecting, cold calling, networking, and referrals. I quailfied and sold the company on a better solution.
Pros
Good job to work for. Great respect, good money, great atmosphere.
Cons
Hitting a quota every month and starting at zero every month.
A great Stepping Stone for my Business Management Degree
Customer Service Team Lead/Acting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fairlawn, OhioJune 23, 2013
A good place to learn a lot of information, I believe it is a good stepping stone to grow your career. I am currently working on my business management degree and First Communications is a good place to start.
Long term Employee
Director, NOC and Customer Care Departments (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 5, 2013
I have worked in management though multiple departments and gained lots of knowledge, I have been with the company for over 17 years and I believe it is the time to move on

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Communications. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5