First Community Credit Union Houston

First Community Credit Union Houston Employee Reviews

Good starting work place
Call Center Representative and Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2017
It is a great company to start out your career but they do have a high turn over rate. Usually others leave for other credit unions as it is nearly impossible to move with this company. Executives love to hire their family.
The system they use compared to other banks is very outdated and hold requests and member/customer searches of their transactions, checks, etc are just about the worse. It takes 5 minutes to do one transaction as a teller that would take 30 seconds to do at Chase bank.
Pay was better than working at a bank though.
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2017
First Community is a top notch financial institution. Everyone has a positive attitude and is willing to help each other. There is plenty opportunity for career growth and excellent benefits.
Pros
Free Tickets to football games
Professional
ODP/Accounting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2017
My most enjoyable working experience has been here at FCCU. My management team are very professional and down to earth. They allow for a great work/life balance and I truly enjoy working amongst this group of professionals.
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2017
I enjoy working with FCCU because it is still a small enough company where the executives of the company know you and address you on a first name basis. You usually don't walk through the halls without greeting or being greeted by a familiar face. A typical day at work is usually pretty stressful however the opportunity for growth and the team I am apart of make this work environment ideal. What I value most about my job at the credit union is the fact that my supervisors allow true hands on training outside the scope of my job skills, and also provide training in other aspects of our department to aid in developing my long term career goals.
Pros
work life balance, opportunities for growth and development, awesome 401k plan
Company promotes the millions they are making and pay their hard working employees poorly, the turnover rate right now is terrible.
Confidential (Current Employee) –  ConfidentialMay 19, 2017
A typical day at work would be helping members with their everyday financial needs. Working at financial instution is basically the same thing just different products, but what defines a company is how the company treats you as an employee. FCCU's motto is to always let the member be right and to never stick up for yourself and that upsets me. I personally am very sympathetic and Would genuinely apologize if there was an error of sort and would get it fixed right away and that member is happy and on their way. But, then there's the members that come in and everyone knows that they need to be absolutely on their best behavior because we don't know what could happen next with that member, yet I have never seen a forced closed account because the employees felt harrassed. We just have to be humiliated and smile and act like it's okay to be degraded and belittled in front of other member/employees. I believe in great customer service but it all starts with the employee and they need to feel like when they have a concern it is important as well. The better you treat your employee and the more acknowledgement that you give them the harder they try, they feel valued and thus value their job way more and then their performance goes up! From what I experienced I never felt of value from the workforce, I heard it all the time from the members that would walk in but never saw much of a raise. For a reward FCCU always does like a pot luck or will take everyone out to eat for an accomplishment but I personally work hard to make more money. I never felt that the pay was what I was worth,  more... I stated it and nothing was done. I worked up to different positions and expanded my knowledge and my paycheck did not show.  less
Pros
Free health care
Cons
Sick time couldn't be used
There are better credit unions out there...
Financial Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2017
It is a great credit union if you can overlook blatant nepotism and favoritism to family members employed. Decent pay. Benefits were mighty pricy. There are others.....
Pros
Pay, co-workets
Cons
Nepotism which can hinder growth of good employees
great company
Call Center Representative - Bilingual (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2017
Great company, great compensation, great coworkers.
They have the best 401k plan and management helps a lot your development.
Good overall company
TX-Vice President (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 19, 2017
First Community gave me several opportunites for advancement. First Community is a strong company to work for. They have many branches around Houston.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Office Politics
Start here, finish somewhere else
Part-Time Title Clerk- Incoming Titles (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 26, 2016
You'll enjoy this place as a good company to start with. There are advancement opportunities, they do actually promote from within often. Management positions are hard to get, as many managers stick around due to their excellent benefits- paid for! If you get a good manager, you can expect to be a little more flexible when you need to make appointments or have family issues. Upper management does not understand the employees, thinking that everyone can afford the pricey insurance. Lots of nepotism, lots. So many people are related, which causes problems. Office politics are heavy in the air, you can't talk to some people, just do as you're told and don't ask questions type of thing. They used to be focused on the employees, but now more focused on numbers. I was there in the beginning of the end- we used to get bonuses and way more benefits. The little guy was appreciated, now you have to be a manager to get anything, and they dump so much work on them. They have no time to actually manage the branch, they have to review referrals. If you can handle the company's ugly side, you'll love it. If you can't, you'll hate it. I stayed so many years (9 in total in different positions) because of the people, we're still friends.
Pros
Lunch provided sometimes, getting to know people
Cons
Benefits are expensive, upper management focused on numbers not members or employee needs.
Good cu to work for. Excellent incentive structure
IN STORE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 10, 2016
Incentive pay is better than most cu's in stores are closed like traditional banks for all holidays. Work/life balance is fair
Great Company to work for
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 31, 2015
Great company to work for.
Friendly people and great benefits.
Fast paced and located in a great area of town.
I would work here any day any time. HR department is nto so great .
Productive Environment
Specialist Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2015
I have learned a lot coming into this company. They have taught me how to apply and understand financial situations that our members go though daily. I enjoy making our member's smile.
Fun and Productive
Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
Working for a CU is a much different experience than working at a bank, there are a lot of different responsibilities, i enjoyed working here.
Pros
good pay, a lot of work
Cons
dress code, hours
Management at a credit union with great potential
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2015
Work in a fast-pace environment. Maintained a good balance between coaching and mentoring employees while providing superior service to the credit union members. Working within the corporate branch, you are responsible for an array of different responsibilities and work directly with all of the credit union's departments. Experiencing the large amount of challenges and accomplishments, you gain fantastic management and leadership skills. Manage a multifaceted group of supportive employees. The company atmosphere lacks consistency and communication. Executive Management shows very little value in the employees that work under them. Corperate morale is extremely low with a very high job turnover rate. The hardest part of the job is the lack in structure and communication between upper and branch management. The significant increase in workload within all departments along with decreased reward or incentive has a negative corporate atmosphere effect. The most enjoyable part of the job is training, coaching and leading employees to be successful in their careers.
Pros
Being able to directly benefit members and employees lives
Cons
Compensation
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2015
My day began with processing daily reports, balancing the main cash vault and prepared cash shipments to be sent to the Federal Reserve and working a teller window. I, learned cash handling, working with the public, problem solving and managing a 15 teller department. My co workers were like family. We worked as a team. My managers ran a tight branch, we were #2 out of 14 branches. The hardest part of my position was discipline for the tellers., but I did my job. The most enjoyable part was seeing the smiling faces of my members and having the teller department reach their goals.
Pros
Getting paid for incentives, getting free lunch for the whole dept.
Good company to work for
Financial Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2015
I have been here for little less than a year. I have been pleased so far. I hope to advance soon. Most challenging part is meeting monthly goal while having to compete amongst others within credit union.
Not a good place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Copperfield, Cypress TexasMarch 3, 2015
I worked at FCCU from Oct 2014 - Feb 2015 at the Copper Field branch in Houston Texas. I applied as a Full Time teller. Once I got hired and went to sign the paperwork, she said oh wait you're part time. (if I had of known that, I would never have worked there.) Then she goes on to tell me oh as soon as a Full time position opens up we will put you right in it. Four Full time positions came up and they passed me by. Not to mention I was getting between 20-25 hours a week stretched out over 6 days. The Lead Teller would disappear all day!!! Even through busy peaks. The upper management did nothing about it. There was tension in the teller department between the teller leads and management and the tellers. Management did nothing to fix it. If you are going to work for this company, steer clear of this location. Go to the Spring Branch location. They are amazing. The only good thing about this company is that if you have experience they pay well.
Pros
The Pay
Cons
Bad Management, No room for advancement
FCCU has experienced a lot of growth and changes within the last year
VP Business Lending I / AVP Business Services (Former Employee) –  HoustonFebruary 4, 2015
There has been a lot of turnover with seasoned and fairly new staff due to management. The hardest part of my job was the executive management lack of experience with business lending as most of their experience is based on consumer lending. The part I enjoyed the most was my boss and working with individual and business members in the community.
Pros
I had an excellent boss
Cons
Advancement seems to be vey politically inclined
First Community Credit Union
Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2015
The only reason I am no longer working as a teller at this credit union is because I decided to move to Huntsville and go to school full time. I worked at the Alief location, the members were very sweet and patient. My co-workers and managers became a family to me. It wasn't stressful and my personal life was balanced working here as well.
Productive and Fast Pace
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corporate OfficeSeptember 8, 2014
Great company to work for.
Daily use of Excel spreadsheets and Outlook.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Contract

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Community Credit Union Houston. Our community is ready to answer.

First Community Credit Union Houston Reviews by Location