First Community Credit Union Employee Reviews

Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2017
First Community is a top notch financial institution. Everyone has a positive attitude and is willing to help each other. There is plenty opportunity for career growth and excellent benefits.
Pros
Free Tickets to football games
Cons
Great opportunity to meet local residence
Teller (Former Employee) –  Florence, ORAugust 6, 2017
Enjoyed helping local small business owners and other members; supportive management and team mates; great training; generous holiday and leave schedule.
Get your experience & run with it
Credit Union Employee (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJuly 17, 2017
I enjoyed working here purely because I made a lot of friends. This is the kind of place you go to get experience & leave. They claim to pay for your benefits but in your yearly reviews, they will show you a break down of your pay. Starting with what your "real" income is, minus your benefits & 401k deductions, leaving you with what your paychecks actually reflect. To me, that's not paying for my benefits. It is merely not giving me an option as to what kind of health coverage I have. It absolutely does not cost me $6000 for single coverage elsewhere. Which is what was quoted each year of employment here.

The work environment is NOT at all laid back in the corporate office. You can only have 3 personal items on your desk, may only drink out of a 12 oz mug, dress code is very strict (only enforced on those not in upper management) ie; no "cotton blend" for women, your computer is shut down each night you leave. Meaning you must show up 10-15 mins early to boot up your slow outdated computer just to clock in on time. If you're a minute late clocking in, it absolutely will come up in your reviews.

There is absolutely no opportunity for advancement unless you are working in a branch with high turn over. Branches tend to receive better pay raises. Unless you're related to one of the VPs (several of them are related via marriage by the way) do not expect to be treated as an equal. Compensation at corporate is very poor. Get the experience you need to go elsewhere. You'll make a lot more money.
Pros
Finance/Banking experience, christmas bonus, peers
Cons
Compensation, no advancement opportunities
Professional
ODP/Accounting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2017
My most enjoyable working experience has been here at FCCU. My management team are very professional and down to earth. They allow for a great work/life balance and I truly enjoy working amongst this group of professionals.
Assisting Members on a daily basis
ECOMMERCE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJune 6, 2017
A typical day at my current position requires assisting members with anything that has to do without our online banking services that we offer our members. My position consists of answering the phone and completing daily tasks such as mobile deposit, chat, finance works, quicken, etc, I enjoy assist the members more than anything. My goal is to get the job done efficiently and effectively. I have grown so much at my current job and have gone above and beyond the minimum expectations.
Not recommend
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOMay 12, 2017
Company has good strategic management,
poor people management.
Systems are clunky and outdated.
Easy to get stuck in one position.
Upper Management can be over reactive and short sighted.
Could be a good place to start in finance if you leave quickly.
Work in back office not in branches.
Fine
Financial Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, MOApril 12, 2017
They pay well. They have great benefits. Staff can be judgmental and form cliques. Your appearance means a lot more to the staff than it does to the customers.
There are better credit unions out there...
Financial Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2017
It is a great credit union if you can overlook blatant nepotism and favoritism to family members employed. Decent pay. Benefits were mighty pricy. There are others.....
Pros
Pay, co-workets
Cons
Nepotism which can hinder growth of good employees
great company
Call Center Representative - Bilingual (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2017
Great company, great compensation, great coworkers.
They have the best 401k plan and management helps a lot your development.
Under Appreciated Employees and Outdated Policies
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 7, 2017
I have been involved with First Community for many years, I've known friends who worked here, I've been a member here, and eventually an employee. At first I really loved the job, felt like I was valued and enjoyed the environment. As time passed upper management, particularity the CEO, seemed to go on a power trip. The dress code is outdated and harsh for modern day. The needless and pointless rules are insulting and make little to no sense. Creatively and uniqueness is very discouraged and it seems as though the boss won't be happy until everything is completely uniform and conforms to his view of how things should be. Even more he makes the managers do his dirty work causing friction between departments and employees. First Community seems to live by the motto "Our way or the highway" and "Everyone's replaceable". If you're upper management you'll enjoy working here, if you're an every man, you'll be left feeling like a mass produced yesman.
Pros
Schedule, Coworkers
Cons
Ceo, Under appreciation, No Cooperation, Senseless Rules
Great Atmosphere
Teller (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 19, 2017
I loved working at First Community because the employees were great. The whole environment was fun for the workers as well as the customers. The pay was decent and great holiday bonuses but it was hard to advance because people will hold on to there spots for as long as they can.
Pros
Fun
Cons
HArd to ADvance
Start here, finish somewhere else
Part-Time Title Clerk- Incoming Titles (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 26, 2016
You'll enjoy this place as a good company to start with. There are advancement opportunities, they do actually promote from within often. Management positions are hard to get, as many managers stick around due to their excellent benefits- paid for! If you get a good manager, you can expect to be a little more flexible when you need to make appointments or have family issues. Upper management does not understand the employees, thinking that everyone can afford the pricey insurance. Lots of nepotism, lots. So many people are related, which causes problems. Office politics are heavy in the air, you can't talk to some people, just do as you're told and don't ask questions type of thing. They used to be focused on the employees, but now more focused on numbers. I was there in the beginning of the end- we used to get bonuses and way more benefits. The little guy was appreciated, now you have to be a manager to get anything, and they dump so much work on them. They have no time to actually manage the branch, they have to review referrals. If you can handle the company's ugly side, you'll love it. If you can't, you'll hate it. I stayed so many years (9 in total in different positions) because of the people, we're still friends.
Pros
Lunch provided sometimes, getting to know people
Cons
Benefits are expensive, upper management focused on numbers not members or employee needs.
Fun company to work for
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOMay 1, 2016
First Community is a great company to work for. You become close with the other staff and enjoy your job. Unfortunately I had to leave due to not fitting my school schedule.
Good cu to work for. Excellent incentive structure
IN STORE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 10, 2016
Incentive pay is better than most cu's in stores are closed like traditional banks for all holidays. Work/life balance is fair
Great Company to work for
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 31, 2015
Great company to work for.
Friendly people and great benefits.
Fast paced and located in a great area of town.
I would work here any day any time. HR department is nto so great .
Productive Environment
Specialist Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2015
I have learned a lot coming into this company. They have taught me how to apply and understand financial situations that our members go though daily. I enjoy making our member's smile.
Fun and Productive
Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
Working for a CU is a much different experience than working at a bank, there are a lot of different responsibilities, i enjoyed working here.
Pros
good pay, a lot of work
Cons
dress code, hours
Management at a credit union with great potential
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2015
Work in a fast-pace environment. Maintained a good balance between coaching and mentoring employees while providing superior service to the credit union members. Working within the corporate branch, you are responsible for an array of different responsibilities and work directly with all of the credit union's departments. Experiencing the large amount of challenges and accomplishments, you gain fantastic management and leadership skills. Manage a multifaceted group of supportive employees. The company atmosphere lacks consistency and communication. Executive Management shows very little value in the employees that work under them. Corperate morale is extremely low with a very high job turnover rate. The hardest part of the job is the lack in structure and communication between upper and branch management. The significant increase in workload within all departments along with decreased reward or incentive has a negative corporate atmosphere effect. The most enjoyable part of the job is training, coaching and leading employees to be successful in their careers.
Pros
Being able to directly benefit members and employees lives
Cons
Compensation
Great place
Teller (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WISeptember 3, 2015
Everyone was nice. If I ever move back to WI I would want to work there again.

Co workers there were great, but the days were long if the customers did not come in.

I had to find things to keep me busy some days.
Horrible Company
Special Services (Former Employee) –  CopperfieldAugust 14, 2015
Worked here for a few years. If you are not related to someone, don't expect to have any type of career advancement. Racism is very much alive amongst upper management. The benefits are great, and the pay is ok. 63 cent raises are ridiculous. Very stressful environment, and very high turn over. They do tuition reimbursement, but don't expect to get moved into a better position even if they are paying for it. Very strict dress code all the way down to how you can wear your hair, which is a way too keep from hiring a certain group of people if you ask me. Wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Benefits, No Weekends
Cons
Management, Pay, Career Advancement, Stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Community Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

First Community Credit Union Reviews by Location