First Data Employee Reviews

Found 1,249 reviews matching the search
Poor Pay
Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 6, 2016
This company is very cheap when it comes to raises. I worked there for many years and never received over .50 cent. They expect for you to make high productivity while working in different areas but will not grant you with an adequate raise for all your hard work. Also they make you work bad schedules such as many holidays (only closed Thanksgiving and Xmas) and your hours will vary. Most of the time you will not get 40 hrs a week , more like 30-35 hrs a week. I feel like this company does not care about their employees but only care about their work getting done. The only thing I liked about this company were the coworkers. Other than that not much going on at this company.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Bad raises, Bad work schedule
Poorly run company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 23, 2016
First Data has diminished as a productive and enjoyable place of employment. The purchase by KKR in 1998 and IPO in 2016 have continued to drive the work environment downhill based on focus only on cutting expenses. Executive management does not support employees and continue to take any benefits away (i.e. personal days, 401k match, volunteer days, work from home). Many have been laid off of left and are not being replaced leaving the remaining employees with impossible goals. Work environment is very disappointing for a company that used to be an incredible place to work and support client's needs. Management needs to appreciate the knowledge and dedication of long time employees.
Pros
Dedicated workers.
Cons
Minimal executive management support. Management turnover very high.
Good Work/Life Balance, Horrible Upper Management
Lead Release Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLMarch 1, 2016
Great co-workers and very flexible work and life balance. Big company that acts like a startup since the last few years have all been about the IPO. Many benefits cut, many jobs cut and many offices shut down. Three years of lost benefits, no matching 401k, and constant "budget cuts". Seemed completely impossible to move up with the company, especially in the last few years since they had to hire so many executives and of course support the IPO. After 18 years of dedication, I was laid off due to an office closure that helped support the IPO. Thanks for nothing First Data!
Pros
Flexible workday
Cons
Benefits, Morale, Upper Management
The Job
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYFebruary 18, 2016
The culture at First Data around people I work with is amazing. We are all great team players and can always count on each other. The VP of accounting department is a great leader than demands a lot but also teaches us a lot and rewards for the job well done. The job itself is interesting and very challenging and that is what i love about it, you will never be bored.
Pros
People I work with
Cons
Compensation, benefits and upper management
Well orchestrated environment.
Payment Processing Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLMarch 1, 2016
Cons
short breaks
Horrible place to work
Senior Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDDecember 6, 2015
Honestly, they treat their employees like garbage! Everyone is replaceable. You have no job security of any kind, your told to do one thing by management and the next day you're let go because it's some compliance issue. They look for any reason to fire people. You get minimum pay, and even with outstanding performance ratings, you get a very small raise if any at all. It's almost impossible to advance in the company, especially if you're in one department and trying to go to another to better yourself. You may have good management (though those are usually the first that they let go), but you're more likely to have horrible management. It's not a good work environment at all. If you're looking for a job, I'd recommend almost anywhere else besides here. The company goes more and more downhill every year.
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
Horrible work environment, poor management, poor job security
My FD Review
Sr. Contact Center Tech Specialist 1yr (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 16, 2016
This overall is a pretty good company to work for. If you apply yourself, and work hard you can advance your career. In just four years I went from making boxes to working in the office talking to the banks and editing orders.
Pros
Bravo points, paid vacation, two 15 minute breaks, decent benefits, company parties or sponsored events
Cons
Expensive health care, doesn't match 401K anymore
production operator
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAJanuary 3, 2016
I work from 8:00 in the morning to about 4:30 in the evening. Nice start to learning about supply chain logistics wanting to see more. Management has lots of challenges, lots of people either quitting or being laid off. People very nice to work with, the hardest part is it is very fast pace and sometimes stressful and frustrating. The nice thing is you do learn about banks and witch one to use and not to
Pros
easy to request time off or use personal time
Cons
no 401k matching, hard to addvance in your career
Sweatshop, stressful, heavy workloads
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 3, 2016
First Data is an interesting place to work. It's products and services are complex and intellectually stimulating. However, the company's back office accounting processes are archaic and outdated. It's mainframe operational platforms do not interface well with the accounting system creating the need for an army of accountants to do lots of manual re-classifications and adjustments.

The hours are long, there's no 401K match (almost unheard of for a tech company its size) and there's not much fun to be had.
Pros
Interesting business model and products, services
Cons
Outdated, manual processes requiring lots of long hours and toil.
Great work atmosphere, great opportunities.
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 27, 2016
I worked at First data for approximately 19 1/2 years and enjoyed working there everyday. Management was available as needed or when needed in immediate circumstances. Opportunities were given to anyone that desired movement in advancement when openings were available . My typical day would start with coming in logging in to my computer and start managing my agents' performance and resolving highly escalated matters. The best feeling for me was to know I somehow resolved another one of customer's issues or concerns.
Pros
vacation hours
Cons
healthecare
Very dry culture with little work/life balance
Training (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 3, 2015
First of all, don't even think you can get into management unless you are a former or current military member or spouse. They literally will hire anyone for any management position, with experience or not, if they are former military. This makes it extremely difficult for the rest of folks to aspire to be promoted up. The top leadership in the company is like the good old boys club. They like to hang their hat on their one token woman on the Leadership team, when in reality, she might as well be a member of the good old boys club too. They will work you until you can't stand it and then ask for more.
Pros
Alot of people to meet
Cons
Benefits, work/life balance, management
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 4, 2015
I love my coworkers and after 2 years I finally managed to get into a work schedule that worked with my work/life balance. The company is overall a great place to work. There is great benefits and they do little things each month such as giveaways and prizes. It makes work fun compared to most places where its just repetitive work. It is a good place to work, the people are great and in all honesty, you have job security. If you come to work on time and dont mess around and arent rude to merchants, then you have nothing worry about. If you are lazy and dont want to go to work on time and put your effort into your job, then it is not the place for you.
Management is constantly looking over your shoulder and lay-offs are frequent.
IT Ops Technician I (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 20, 2016
The work environment at First Data is constantly shuffling and rarely stable. I have learned that as with many other large companies being nimble is a necessity. Unfortunately, that nimbleness sometimes means looking for new employment when positions or entire departments are closed for business reasons.
Pros
Cons
Micro-management, frequent lay-offs, low pay and compensation
Helped minimize fraud on electronic transactions
Fraud Prevention Agent (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 26, 2015
Once I clocked in, started receiving calls from merchants or account users, calling in to find out what was going on with the account when a potential red flag arose during a financial transaction. Went through certain procedures to verify the legitimacy of account users. If everything was to the good, the transaction proceeded. If something wrong, explained to the appropriate individual on how to proceed. Good atmosphere and co-workers. A reasonable opportunity for advancement. Politics were limited below management level.
Pros
good benefits, adequate opportunities for advancement
Cons
commute
opportunity for meeting great employees
Floor Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDFebruary 24, 2016
employed there 16 years co workers great group poorly managed job security was not something they take seriously I learned a lot of the customer service end of the business
Pros
friends
Cons
took away sick days from us they stopped matching the 401k job security they did not have
No Career Growth
Relationship Manager/Client Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 4, 2016
The work environment is melancholy. With the recent structural changes a lot of the jobs were out sourced to other states and countries. The most enjoyable part of the day is working with Co-workers who take their job serious and come in and work hard everyday. The hardest part of the job is working not knowing the next changes or where your office will be located to.
Pros
Close to home, Flexibility to work from home
Cons
No opportunity for career growth
Nice people
Sr. Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 3, 2015
Have been working on FDC for almost eleven years. During all this time although getting great performance reviews every year, I have no carrer advancement opportunities. Management does not plan on development/training or helping mo move to better jobs with the company.
Every year we loose benefits and for the last couple of year no salary increases have been given.
Pros
I like me team
Cons
Company going to wrong direction
good vision but unable to execute or implement vision into actual goals and as a result had multiple turnovers in management for sales.
Sales Director- Strategic Partnerships (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 1, 2016
Has a long way to go before executing on real sales plans for its employees. a great company for commoditized products but lacking in market share presence for new innovative technologies and products. No sales comp plans were ever put in writing from finance to my sales group in over a year. Two downsizes and re-orgs also resulted in no management for our sales team for over 6 months. company is cash poor since the IPO in 2015. there is also a zero expense policy. No marketing support or dollars- made it very challenging to execute especially against no set targets or goals.
Pros
great downtown financial district office
Cons
lay offs and downsizing twice in one year
Good work/life balance
Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 26, 2015
There is a fantastic work/life balance at First Data. The company is very understanding about flexible scheduling for sick time and personal issues which makes First Data a great choice especially for people who have children. This compensates somewhat for the complete lack of benefits.

The job itself is fast paced and requires a very good understanding of statistical methods and forecasting. Coworkers are incredibly helpful and share information willingly.
Very challenging environment
Lead Clerk (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 15, 2016
A very short time frame to complete quality work, if work flow is behind we only have a 4 hr window to complete all work including work that is behind schedule time.
The back up flow of work that comes from the day shift due to unseen delays by the system. Hard to maintain the quality of work the company so desires to produce.
Very self rewarding at the end of the day with work all completed on time with no mistakes.
Management has little knowledge of what it takes to complete all work including work delayed due to unseen delays.
I get along with all my co-workers and help where ever I am needed.
Pros
Health Insurance, decent pay, days of vacation given for years of work
Cons
To much Crewdown, short timeline to complete work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Data. Our community is ready to answer.