First Express Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
great place to work
Diesel Technician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 21, 2013
everyone in management is very helpful and understanding.they have good benifits. shop foreman is one of the smartest guys i have met
The work and other mechanics were great. The managment wasn't.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 26, 2013
A typical day here is mostly basic routine maintenance on trucks and trailers with a little problem solving and working the safety inspection lane. Depending on you're specific job you might also be changing tires.

Before this job I had never really worked on large truck or trailers so I learned quite a bit during my time there. I learned about brakes, how to do the safety inspections, how to do services on trucks, trailers, and APUs. I also learned some things about fixing minor problems with trucks and trailers.

The management is the downfall here. Loyalty to the company is demanded instead of earned. There aren't logical concessions made for anything. You are not expected to be an intelligent employee that can be given a set of tasks and expected to finish them.

My co-workers and the drivers were the highlight of the job. Everybody was friendly and willing to help. They were all willing to show you how to do something instead of expecting you to figure it out on your own.

The hardest part of the job was a combination of the physical demands of working with large trucks and the mental demands from dealing with management. The tools and parts can be heavy and awkward. Having been in school for a few months it took me a couple of weeks to fully up to speed physically. Patience is needed because you will be pulled off what you're working on to work on something else, then asked why the first thing isn't done, then have your job threatened because you didn't fill out paperwork correctly.

Ultimately the most enjoyable part of this job was my co-workers, the drivers, and collecting
  more... a good paycheck. I also enjoyed getting to work on trucks but by far it was working with people that became my friends.  less
Pros
reasonable pay, good co-workers, and working on trucks.
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Express. Our community is ready to answer.

First Express Reviews by Location