First Express Employee Reviews

Transportation awesome position to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILAugust 1, 2017
Contractors have opportunities within to obtain a position that can future my career. Also it's a great way to provide and create jobs in many communities.
Pros
Split shifts, great hours, good pay
Cons
No health care, no back drivers, little communication
Corrupted, greedy, trust and control issues...
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 27, 2017
Forced dispatch, forced routing (a lot OFF interstate), forced fuel stops, forced breaks when and where they want. Management says driving 18 wheeler on highways is no different than driving a car. Mileage pay up to 20% less than routed miles. Your last 2 weeks of pay will be at minimum wage for ON duty hours only. You will be told to pull illegal trailers. You will be told something is legal when it is not. Home every weekend like it says on trailer doors NOT promised or guaranteed. Turn over rate is high for a reason. Don't be fooled by this trucking company!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
You won't be there long
It was an exciting place of employment.
Customer Service Rep/Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  St Croix, VIJuly 5, 2017
I loved my job it gave me a lot of experience in serving the public professionally. I started as a teller and ended as a customer service rep. In this role I gained the experience of opening and closing of loans, a job I was very excited to do.
Pros
Excellent vacation policy
Cons
salary
fast paced always busy
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 25, 2017
job security , always busy with good customers . professional drivers . excellent equipment and computer system . every tool you needed to do your job
Pros
job security
Cons
night shift
Solo over the road driving
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Winston Salem, NCMarch 2, 2014
I am gone for 6 days at a time. The hardest part of the job is being away from home. I have learned a lot driving solo, taking care of paperwork and managing time efficiently while making timely pick-ups and drops safely.
great place to work
Diesel Technician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 21, 2013
everyone in management is very helpful and understanding.they have good benifits. shop foreman is one of the smartest guys i have met
The work and other mechanics were great. The managment wasn't.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 26, 2013
A typical day here is mostly basic routine maintenance on trucks and trailers with a little problem solving and working the safety inspection lane. Depending on you're specific job you might also be changing tires.

Before this job I had never really worked on large truck or trailers so I learned quite a bit during my time there. I learned about brakes, how to do the safety inspections, how to do services on trucks, trailers, and APUs. I also learned some things about fixing minor problems with trucks and trailers.

The management is the downfall here. Loyalty to the company is demanded instead of earned. There aren't logical concessions made for anything. You are not expected to be an intelligent employee that can be given a set of tasks and expected to finish them.

My co-workers and the drivers were the highlight of the job. Everybody was friendly and willing to help. They were all willing to show you how to do something instead of expecting you to figure it out on your own.

The hardest part of the job was a combination of the physical demands of working with large trucks and the mental demands from dealing with management. The tools and parts can be heavy and awkward. Having been in school for a few months it took me a couple of weeks to fully up to speed physically. Patience is needed because you will be pulled off what you're working on to work on something else, then asked why the first thing isn't done, then have your job threatened because you didn't fill out paperwork correctly.

Ultimately the most enjoyable part of this job was my co-workers, the drivers, and collecting
  more... a good paycheck. I also enjoyed getting to work on trucks but by far it was working with people that became my friends.  less
Pros
reasonable pay, good co-workers, and working on trucks.
Cons
management

Want to know more about First Express?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Express. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9