First Financial Credit Union Employee Reviews

Workplace
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 11, 2017
This was a job with many challenges but did enjoyed it. The hours vary. I wanted to grow more with the company but it was the positions were limited. After all, I learned a lot and it help me grow as a banker.
Management is lacking
Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 6, 2017
It's impossible to advance without being friends with management. Senior management runs the company without experience. Company moral is low and there is little to no accountability. With budget cuts and poor performance I don't see this place getting very far.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
Great company to work for.
Teller/FSR (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 22, 2017
At First FInancial I was involved in mostly teller work which involved withdraws, deposits, money orders, cashiers checks ect. I learned a whole lot about the financial environment.
Help customer most enjoyable part of the jobs
Loan Processor/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOSeptember 19, 2016
Initiated and processed member loan applications
• Ensured loan policies and procedures were followed
• Assisted members with banking needs
It's a good place to work for
Assistant Branch manager (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAJune 1, 2016
It's a good place to work for. They're very hard on sales. They give a lot of days off because they work with the school district.
Learned a lot and kept busy
Assistant Branch Manager-Floater (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMay 17, 2016
During my time with FFCU I worked many hours, traveled to may offices to help out and was able to learn in areas I was unfamiliar with at the time of hiring in. I enjoyed keeping busy and but at times the job was demanding, especially if I had to travel to more than one office in one day or from my home to San Diego of one day.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement and I enjoyed being paid for my mileage.
The most stressful job you will ever have
Member Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 31, 2015
This place is by far the most antiquated unorganized company I have ever worked for. They have the most ridiculous goals for you to achieve with no training . They have one good trainer and the rest are over paid people who don't know anything. It is not worth the pay trust me. You will regret it.
Pros
None.
Cons
They will make you drive to West Covina for training
Good Place to work.
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 12, 2015
I love First Financial and it truly is a good place to work, sometimes I just feel like we focus on the rule book too much instead of helping our members. Also, I feel like it's hard to grow into a good position in the company, you have to know someone or be a fan favorite.
Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  CAMarch 5, 2015
Ask yourself, do you want to be on the phone for 3-5 hours every day soliciting the same products (car loans, visa credit cards, checking accounts) to a short list of the same customers who already know why you're calling and will ask you to stop calling them and to be place on the do-not-call list. Your sales goals are impossible to obtain. Upper management does not care about employees at the branch level. Want to drive to West Covina 3-5 days a week for training and to make teleconsulting calls once a week for 6 hours, by all means. They have the worst and most outdated systems, with the most bugs that will never be fix (check out their website ffcu.org and you will see why). Their intranet is a joke, the search engine doesn't even work properly. When you have questions, good luck getting an answer. There's a reason why this place has so many upset customers and they eventually close out their accounts, because they know you'll ask for one of those 3 products over and over again. Even the customer know you won't last at this place, they'll ask if you'll be here long or you guys always have new faces. The training is by far the worst, the computer applications or the products they tried to implement and teach will always have issues. They will go back and forth with the IT department, and most of the time will not get resolved. The questions you have for the trainer, even though they write it down and say they'll get back to you asap, they never do. I think I'll stop at this point, trust me these minor issues are just the tip of the iceberg...good luck if you take  more... on any position at this place.  less
Pros
What do you think?!
Cons
Not enough time to list...
Don't do it...
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 25, 2015
I read the reviews and still didn't listen. Found out the hard way. Training is horrible. You are just thrown in to work and the company just expects you to start selling with no real training what so ever. They are very disorganized. They will cancel training without even telling you at any given time.

You will have ridiculous goals to meet. A lot of requirements for you to get paid commission for achieving those goals.
Pros
Cons
the whole experience
Worst Place I have ever worked.
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 18, 2014
I worked as an assistant manager, but practically the branch manager. Please assistant manager BEWARE! You will do all the work while the BM's sit on their bottom's. The credit union hires horrible BM's who know absolutely nothing, while they hire intelligent AM's to really run the branch. This is a churn and burn environment. They require 300,000 in auto, 15 credit cards, and 20 qualified checking accounts each month. Seems obtainable right? There are 10 branches and out of the 10 each month only a max of 3 branches make goal. Somethings wrong with this picture. Well it's because the membership is closed and teachers don't want loans. This place sets you up for failure. I am not saying these things as an upset pervious employee, I am saying it out of care to forewarn people. If your desperate for a job, then take it. However, if you have other offers take that one. DO NOT let the pay fool you. I worked by myself as the only manager for over seven months. They required me to work six days a week without lunches and breaks(true lunches and breaks). They do not care about branch employees only corporate. STAY AWAY! But one can only make their own judgement after the fact. For one of the branches I worked at I had nine people quit on their first day, well they were smart to get out. This place has not room for growth, if you are not the flavor of the month you will not succeed. WORST PLACE I EVER WORKED. God bless all who work here!

Nothing about this place is enjoyable!
Pros
The moment I got out of this place!
Cons
short staffed, churn and burn culture, unrealistic goals, don't care about work life balance for families, they break a lot of labor law rules and expect you to just go with it.
Run and Hideeeee!!!!!
MSR (Former Employee) –  west covinaOctober 16, 2014
if you want to be tele marketing without knowing what youre selling for 8 hrs a day then be my guest.
Credit Union Member Service
Member Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAAugust 18, 2014
I open and closed the branch. Setup computers, balance vault, receive cash drawer and money for the day. Input all cashiers checks for printing, checked lobby for coffee and clean safe environment. Stocked all deposit slips, withdrawal slips and changed calendar date daily. Stocked up supplies needed for the branch. Took ATM deposits and balanced, mail deposits and night drop deposits. I did all office procedures including answering the phone, faxing, filing, updating customer info, making money transfers upon customer requests, cross-selling of all credit union accounts, auto loans, credit cards and home loans on a daily basis. Took deposits, withdrawals and all transactions required of the customer. I learned a great deal of experience on how to cross-sell and be successful at my job when handling any and all banking transactions. The most changeling part of my job was being able to cross-sell to new customers as the credit union was a Teachers only financial institution restricting my ability to cross-sell to only a minimum due to location of the branch and profession of the customers as the private clientele was low and I was not able to go out and do business presentations to surrounding schools. Therefore making the job challenging to open new accounts. I enjoyed the professionalism of the banking institution, the regularity and the face to face relationships I had with my customers. I was always requested by customers and I was depended on by my team, co-workers, management to bring in positivity, friendliness, professionalism and experience in doing a job which I enjoyed  more... in turn finding myself to be very successful at.  less
Pros
The environment of professionalism of a financial instutution, its member base and regularity of business hours
Cons
Restrictions on who can be a member of the Credit Union
Free, Fun, and Productive Workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAJune 10, 2014
- Great freedom to think
- Awesome management
- Can exercise at lunch via gym or basketball courts
- Friendly workplace
- Great communication
- Never afraid to ask questions and learn
Pros
Phenomenal Corporate policy, Great workplace, open communication, awesome management
Account Representative
Teller/Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 13, 2014
As vault tell I ensured all tellers had the appropriate amount of funds for the beginning of the new business day. Reviewed EFT documents to hand post deposits to appropriate accounts for any bills to the paid from account holders. Had to complete EFT exceptions showing that an error had occurred and to apply correct information so that these individuals would not suffer delays of any transaction into or out of their respective account. Fielded a wide range of questions from our clientele. Opened and closed accounts as necessary. Took loan and Visa applications and completed credit checks. Upon approval of loans, I would process loan documents and close the loans with the client. Ordered and received cash from the Feds. Verified complete count of cash delivery. Processed by deposit by encoding checks for deposit via carrier service. Balanced vault throughout day and did final balance end of business. Encouraged management to spot balance for verification. Assisted tellers in their end of day balance of cash. Assisted in locating errors (if any) and correcting transaction. I established a well balanced training program that allowing each new employee to set their pace without outside pressures. This allowed each to achieve highest business goal. Our customers were the best and it was an absolute enjoyment because they accepted my team for whom we were and we gladly reciprocated. Getting ready for State and Federal audits were always the most anxious and challenging of times. Not that I was worried about the onset of the audit, but one never truly knows if one is  more... completely prepared. However, each year I was Head Teller and Vault Teller, were rated Five Star Awards. The President and CFO were very approachable while at the same time very professional. Always had an open door policy. I was allowed to express suggestions which would or could lead to further open discussions. Working with this management team allowed myself to hone my customer service representative skills that both benefitted the business.  less
Pros
Diversity and Culture of the Business
Cons
State and Federal Audits
Worst work place
Member Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 12, 2014
Worst management team and Worst Company to work for in my whole career lift
Cashier Specialist
Cashier Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montclair, CAMay 5, 2014
A typical day as a cashier specialist at First Financial Credit Union consists of assisting customers with all retail transactions such as deposits, withdrawals, check cashing, cashier checks, and credit advances. Cross selling products and services to consistently meet sales goals are very important and may be the hardest part of the job. First Financial provides employees with training to enhance referral and sales performances.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer interaction and facilitating retention by responding to customer requests and inquiries. Being a team player is way of life at First Financial. Coachers and helpers are what you will find in a co-worker at First Financial Credit Union.
FFCU Summary
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2014
The company is based in West Covina and requires all branch employees to commute there on a regular basis. Training is lacking and can be delayed if there isn't a class available when a new employee starts. This creates an uncomfortable work environment because from day 1 the employee will be in the branch with no training and expected to figure it out. The salaries and benefits are very strong, but the company severely lacks infrastructure. The computer programs used in the branches for sales and operations are archaic and need to be updated. The programs often crash or lack clear information, and many of the commands require letter codes that you are not taught, making even a simple sale very frustrating to process. The company intranet has multiple directories created by different departments that format differently, making it nearly impossible to find information when you need it. For example, an important document form would not necessarily be located under "Forms" but rather would be found under a different heading altogether.
You find that half your day is lost just trying to maneuver through the difficult processes set in place by the company rather than actually being able to focus on selling and producing. To make it worse, the culture is very prideful, and the mentality towards employees is "sink or swim". There is no room for expressing your ideas as a way to improve how the company operates. Instead the answer is "that's just how it's always been" or "you just get used to it and learn to accept it" or "don't worry about it and just focus on sales".
  more... The company likes to have monthly celebrations at the corporate HQ and isn't afraid to spend a lot of money on their parties. However, they have 0 tolerance for anyone who isn't 100% on board with their ideas.  less
Pros
monthly lunch sent to branches, good salary and benefits
Cons
Poor executive leadership, very high turnover, high sales pressure
Sales Dedication
Member Services Contact Rep (Former Employee) –  Covina, CAJanuary 25, 2014
Sales production focused, busy and multi task environment. Friendly and dedicated co-workers.
Internship
Corporate Internship (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAAugust 17, 2013
During the internship, the Credit Union had offered to work in different department such as customer, sales, financing, and management. The hardest part is to learn as much as I can during every stay in different departments. The enjoyable part is I can learn how a Credit Union runs and meeting different people from different departments.
Pros
Gas Card
Cons
Non Paid