First Financial Credit Union Employee Reviews

Learned a lot and kept busy
Assistant Branch Manager-Floater (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMay 17, 2016
During my time with FFCU I worked many hours, traveled to may offices to help out and was able to learn in areas I was unfamiliar with at the time of hiring in. I enjoyed keeping busy and but at times the job was demanding, especially if I had to travel to more than one office in one day or from my home to San Diego of one day.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement and I enjoyed being paid for my mileage.
Help customer most enjoyable part of the jobs
Loan Processor/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOSeptember 19, 2016
Initiated and processed member loan applications
• Ensured loan policies and procedures were followed
• Assisted members with banking needs
The most stressful job you will ever have
Member Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 31, 2015
This place is by far the most antiquated unorganized company I have ever worked for. They have the most ridiculous goals for you to achieve with no training . They have one good trainer and the rest are over paid people who don't know anything. It is not worth the pay trust me. You will regret it.
Pros
None.
Cons
They will make you drive to West Covina for training
Good Place to work.
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 12, 2015
I love First Financial and it truly is a good place to work, sometimes I just feel like we focus on the rule book too much instead of helping our members. Also, I feel like it's hard to grow into a good position in the company, you have to know someone or be a fan favorite.
Don't do it...
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 25, 2015
I read the reviews and still didn't listen. Found out the hard way. Training is horrible. You are just thrown in to work and the company just expects you to start selling with no real training what so ever. They are very disorganized. They will cancel training without even telling you at any given time.

You will have ridiculous goals to meet. A lot of requirements for you to get paid commission for achieving those goals.
Pros
Cons
the whole experience
Worst place I ever worked
Branch Management (Former Employee) –  Inland EmpireOctober 20, 2012
Don't be fooled by it being a credit union, they try and run it like a corporation but not smart enough, and poor senior leadership. Unrealistic goals and the turnover is ridiculous. Just take a look at their financials, they are losing money like it's going out of style and the only strategy from upper mgmt is layoffs. If your thinking about wking there and you have another choice, for your own sake turn around and run as far and fast as you can! If u don't have another choice and you need a job, take it, and by all means keep looking for another job!
Pros
nice members/customers
Cons
everything else
Best Place I've worked EVER!!!!
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAApril 11, 2012
Assist members in reviewing all transactions made. Carefully and attentively processing all transactions. Sales, Sales, Customer Service, Sales.

I learned that working for a great company can reflect on your future goals. My management team was AWESOME!!! Each manager that I met was great at what they did, they were always willing to help you achieve your goals. The hardest part was leaving this job! I enjoyed absolutely everything about this job, I was really looking forward to having a career here.
Pros
everything! career, benefits, pay.
Cons
can't think of any.
A very small call center.
Phone Banker (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAJuly 23, 2013
A typical day at work was taking about 50 calls. I learn how to reach my goals on a daily basis. Management was not so great because they was not ready to help. My co-workers we helped each other because the management team was not friendly and willing to help. The hardest part of my job was dealing with my management team. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping my members with there personal banking account.
Pros
One of the pros was we had half days on every other Friday.
Cons
A con was the management team.
Cashier Specialist
Cashier Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montclair, CAMay 5, 2014
A typical day as a cashier specialist at First Financial Credit Union consists of assisting customers with all retail transactions such as deposits, withdrawals, check cashing, cashier checks, and credit advances. Cross selling products and services to consistently meet sales goals are very important and may be the hardest part of the job. First Financial provides employees with training to enhance referral and sales performances.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer interaction and facilitating retention by responding to customer requests and inquiries. Being a team player is way of life at First Financial. Coachers and helpers are what you will find in a co-worker at First Financial Credit Union.
Worst place to work ever
CSR (Former Employee) –  San diego, CAJune 22, 2013
I was a CSR here and let me tell you, this place does not know how to run things. They didn't even send me to training which was all the way in West Covina. almost 2 hours away from the branch in San Diego. They pretty much make you learn the ropes on your own. The branch manager did not know how to run things and always made the assistant branch manager do his cut of the work. Don't even waste your time applying here.
Internship
Corporate Internship (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAAugust 17, 2013
During the internship, the Credit Union had offered to work in different department such as customer, sales, financing, and management. The hardest part is to learn as much as I can during every stay in different departments. The enjoyable part is I can learn how a Credit Union runs and meeting different people from different departments.
Pros
Gas Card
Cons
Non Paid
I liked my job and made it enjoyable helping customers
Senior Member Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAJune 20, 2012
call center fast paced environment. Sometimes employees were overlooked. Very talented individuals high turn over rate because company would not hire enough staff.
Pros
good company low rates for credit union loans
Cons
union did not give many raises, you had to be in the union and pay dues
Horrible Place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Multiple locationsMay 30, 2012
This is the most oppressive and dangerous work environment possible. Stay away! They have a turnover rate at or near 90%, dysfunctional management, and a clueless board of directors. Lavish trips for management and the board and nothing but stress for employees. You are a long term employee if you make it past 6 months.
Cons
where do i start?
Free, Fun, and Productive Workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAJune 10, 2014
- Great freedom to think
- Awesome management
- Can exercise at lunch via gym or basketball courts
- Friendly workplace
- Great communication
- Never afraid to ask questions and learn
Pros
Phenomenal Corporate policy, Great workplace, open communication, awesome management
Sales Dedication
Member Services Contact Rep (Former Employee) –  Covina, CAJanuary 25, 2014
Sales production focused, busy and multi task environment. Friendly and dedicated co-workers.
Run and Hideeeee!!!!!
MSR (Former Employee) –  west covinaOctober 16, 2014
if you want to be tele marketing without knowing what youre selling for 8 hrs a day then be my guest.
Worst work place
Member Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 12, 2014
Worst management team and Worst Company to work for in my whole career lift
Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  CAMarch 5, 2015
Ask yourself, do you want to be on the phone for 3-5 hours every day soliciting the same products (car loans, visa credit cards, checking accounts) to a short list of the same customers who already know why you're calling and will ask you to stop calling them and to be place on the do-not-call list. Your sales goals are impossible to obtain. Upper management does not care about employees at the branch level. Want to drive to West Covina 3-5 days a week for training and to make teleconsulting calls once a week for 6 hours, by all means. They have the worst and most outdated systems, with the most bugs that will never be fix (check out their website ffcu.org and you will see why). Their intranet is a joke, the search engine doesn't even work properly. When you have questions, good luck getting an answer. There's a reason why this place has so many upset customers and they eventually close out their accounts, because they know you'll ask for one of those 3 products over and over again. Even the customer know you won't last at this place, they'll ask if you'll be here long or you guys always have new faces. The training is by far the worst, the computer applications or the products they tried to implement and teach will always have issues. They will go back and forth with the IT department, and most of the time will not get resolved. The questions you have for the trainer, even though they write it down and say they'll get back to you asap, they never do. I think I'll stop at this point, trust me these minor issues are just the tip of the iceberg...good luck if you take  more... on any position at this place.  less
Pros
What do you think?!
Cons
Not enough time to list...
Worst Place I have ever worked.
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 18, 2014
I worked as an assistant manager, but practically the branch manager. Please assistant manager BEWARE! You will do all the work while the BM's sit on their bottom's. The credit union hires horrible BM's who know absolutely nothing, while they hire intelligent AM's to really run the branch. This is a churn and burn environment. They require 300,000 in auto, 15 credit cards, and 20 qualified checking accounts each month. Seems obtainable right? There are 10 branches and out of the 10 each month only a max of 3 branches make goal. Somethings wrong with this picture. Well it's because the membership is closed and teachers don't want loans. This place sets you up for failure. I am not saying these things as an upset pervious employee, I am saying it out of care to forewarn people. If your desperate for a job, then take it. However, if you have other offers take that one. DO NOT let the pay fool you. I worked by myself as the only manager for over seven months. They required me to work six days a week without lunches and breaks(true lunches and breaks). They do not care about branch employees only corporate. STAY AWAY! But one can only make their own judgement after the fact. For one of the branches I worked at I had nine people quit on their first day, well they were smart to get out. This place has not room for growth, if you are not the flavor of the month you will not succeed. WORST PLACE I EVER WORKED. God bless all who work here!

Nothing about this place is enjoyable!
Pros
The moment I got out of this place!
Cons
short staffed, churn and burn culture, unrealistic goals, don't care about work life balance for families, they break a lot of labor law rules and expect you to just go with it.
Credit Union Member Service
Member Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAAugust 18, 2014
I open and closed the branch. Setup computers, balance vault, receive cash drawer and money for the day. Input all cashiers checks for printing, checked lobby for coffee and clean safe environment. Stocked all deposit slips, withdrawal slips and changed calendar date daily. Stocked up supplies needed for the branch. Took ATM deposits and balanced, mail deposits and night drop deposits. I did all office procedures including answering the phone, faxing, filing, updating customer info, making money transfers upon customer requests, cross-selling of all credit union accounts, auto loans, credit cards and home loans on a daily basis. Took deposits, withdrawals and all transactions required of the customer. I learned a great deal of experience on how to cross-sell and be successful at my job when handling any and all banking transactions. The most changeling part of my job was being able to cross-sell to new customers as the credit union was a Teachers only financial institution restricting my ability to cross-sell to only a minimum due to location of the branch and profession of the customers as the private clientele was low and I was not able to go out and do business presentations to surrounding schools. Therefore making the job challenging to open new accounts. I enjoyed the professionalism of the banking institution, the regularity and the face to face relationships I had with my customers. I was always requested by customers and I was depended on by my team, co-workers, management to bring in positivity, friendliness, professionalism and experience in doing a job which I enjoyed  more... in turn finding myself to be very successful at.  less
Pros
The environment of professionalism of a financial instutution, its member base and regularity of business hours
Cons
Restrictions on who can be a member of the Credit Union

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Financial Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7