First Interstate Bank Employee Reviews

Nice Community Bank Feel
Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTMay 3, 2017
Great place to work if you like a fast paced, growth company. There are troubles with growing pains but the leadership in place genuinely care about the employees.
No advancement unless....
Operations Processor I (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTApril 27, 2017
Operations Center in Billings Montana

No advancement unless you are cherry-picked by a manager. I've tried everything to move to a different department and had to basically demote myself in order to do so. Managers do not care about your development and they will expect more from you than what is required in your specific job description. Don't bother bringing up any concerns or issues related to your job or improvements because they don't care. They "say" they are all about change, but the reality is, you are supposed to be stressed out and take on more responsibility than what you expect to. Micromanaging, no care in your personal development and your ideas are shot down. Some managers will allow bad behavior from other co-workers to continue and they make you feel like it's your fault instead of fixing the issues. Too many managers that are not involved in helping out their departments. The other things that truly suck are spending more time logging your work and "numbers" than actually helping the customer or doing the actual work. You have to account for everything you do. Breaks are strict too. Everyone gossips in this building and you have to log in and out of your phone even if you are walking to the printer or helping another co-worker. Think about going to a branch instead of Operations. Operations Center as a whole treats you like children and it won't change. They need to fire the micromanaging managers and the ones that are so out of touch if they plan to be successful in adding more banks to their portfolio. I will not and won't recommend this company.
Pros
Free lunch, good coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, managers are control freaks and your opinions don't matter, pay is low, always short staffed, stressful culture, no advancement, managers play favorites
Very fast paced
Data Entry Processor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 21, 2017
This was a lockbox company where we processed payments for different companies and at the end had to balance deposit received and sent downstairs for deposit.
Pros
free lunch, fun place
Cons
No cons
Great place to work. Friendly coworkers, great training and advancement opportunities.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 5, 2017
Normal banking hours. Pay is typically low to start and takes time to increase but opportunities are there with motivation. Friendly coworkers and customers make the day go by fast and pleasant.
If they give you a chance take it.
Help Desk Representative II (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMarch 17, 2017
This is without a doubt the best company I have ever worked for. They are kind the management is quick and efficient on helping solve problems and show their desire to help you grow and improve. If I did not have to move out of their region I would have stayed till the day I retired.
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYMarch 1, 2017
Daily contact with the public. Co-workers were friendly and helpful with any questions. There were training videos and/or manuals for almost every aspect of the job.
Pros
Tight-knit group
Cons
Limited flexibility and advancement
corporate life
Affirmative Action Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 15, 2017
I learned about corporate life at a very early age. I was the affirmative action analyst where it was my job to bring more woman and minorities into the bank. I went from southern California to northern California seeking out candidates who needed help with finding jobs.
Great Experience
Dispute Specialist (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CANovember 30, 2016
Great learning experience First Interstate Bank, they have good training classes new employees. Great Compensation and Benefits.
Great opportunity to grow and advancement, Management always helps employees to grow. My experience with First Interstate from Temporary to Dispute Specialist was very good, they provide me lots of training classes. Coworker and Managers provide lots of support for new employees.
Job culture is very friendly and supportive.
Pros
Thanksgiving/Christmas and birthdays lunches
Cons
Health care was provided
Never a dull moment. Always learning new things.
Department - Ops Processor II (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTSeptember 20, 2016
First Interstate Bank is a great place to work. I was there for 17 1/2 years. I knew nothing of banking when I was hired. They took a chance on me and I learned so much from them. Not just my job duties but, how to be confident. Great opportunities for advancement. My co-workers and I were a true team. I was very sad to leave.
Pros
great benefits
First Interstate Bank
Security Specialist - Police Services Department (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2016
Basic security work maintaining security for employees and properties at the facility as well as monitoring home security equipment at Senior Management staff.

Want to know more about First Interstate Bank?

Ask a question
Excellent bank
Financial Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 29, 2016
Managed day to day operations in a branch banking center

I learned that sales goals can be achieved simply by inspecting what you expect each day.

The most enjoyable aspect, meeting the needs of customers in addition to meeting & exceeding sales goals.

The hardest aspect was conveying to a customer your inability to assist them due to adverse credit.
Pros
Managed without direct supervision.
Cons
Double digit sales growth YOY when economic trends are contrary
Very good company
Loan Processor - Closer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 11, 2016
First Interstate Bank was a good company and offered many opportunities. In 1996 First Interstate Bank was purchased by another bank.
Helpful and strict - it's a bank of course
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMarch 30, 2016
They want you to succeed so they will help you learn whatever you need to succeed but wont tolerate mistakes. When working with people's money, you have to be flawless or someone could be charged a fee for your mistake. I would work here again but after I earn a degree and can avoid the money transactions.
Enjoyed working with Customers
Personal Banking Officer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 29, 2016
Enjoyed working at First Interstate Bank, Was able to grow and learn different jobs in the banking industry. Working with customers and co-workers always something different.
Pros
help was phone call away
Cons
Merged with Wells Fargo
Loved it here
TELLER/RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Livingston, MTMarch 7, 2016
I felt like this was a very good place to work. Many of my co-workers did not agree. Management was very rude to lower employees and dismissed them completely when input was asked.
worked with great employee's
Teller (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTFebruary 25, 2016
Typical day: taking check and cash deposits, loan payments, withdrawals, money orders and cashier checks. I worked in a drive thru most of the time enjoyed the busy work and the customers.
Wonderful experience
Note Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 17, 2016
I enjoyed working each day. I learned many things over the course of 25 years, from being a teller to becoming a supervisor. Management was superior and co-workers were pleasant, friendly, and easy to work with and teach. The hardest part of my job was the high responsibilities which I always managed to overcome and handle well. The most enjoyable part of my job was the success of my department.
Pros
Success of department
Challenging and rewarding enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDAugust 3, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was building relationships with customers by being able to help them immediately. Since everything was in a Tri-state area, it was very convenient to get on the phone with Operations and get things resolved for customers quickly. The hardest part of my job was the turn over. Unfortunately, not long after I started, we had three people out of our five man team relocate or find different places of employment. Since working in customer service I have learned how to diffuse situations while also finding a solid solution to whatever problem I'm dealing with. My team and management were all very close knit and were always willing to help.
Pros
Great team and fresh challenges daily
Cons
High turnover
Great work environment
Teller (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WyMay 16, 2015
Very good work environment. Everyone is willing to help each other when needed. Great hours, great pay, great customers. Overall a really good work place.
Job advancement
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 4, 2015
First Interstate Bank provide all employees with job training and career advancement. I was promoted two times within a four year period with the company.
Pros
Job advancement and training.
Cons
The company merge with Wells Fargo and downsized.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Interstate Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2