First Investors Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Workplace culture that you have to get used to experiencing
Sales Desk (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 25, 2013
Started with the company about three years ago, the culture, I found, to be vastly different to other organizations I had worked for through my career. I found that the employees were not give chances to improve processes, or advance. Critical and sometimes rude supervisors would sit in cubicles at the back of the row, as if in an ivory tower.

My second position, has been better, but has confronted me with a situation, that I have never encountered. I don't want to go into personal details, there is a conflict in the department, and I made management aware, and nothing has been done.

The majority of the employees of the company are good people, hard-working and loyal. The culture is a little to old style for my tastes.
Very Structured and Too Many Meetings
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJMay 30, 2013
This is a perfect place to start in the business. FIC provides you with a unique and powerful training which will build your confidence and make you feel ready to start going on appointments.
However, the product selection is very limited (but growing somewhat rapidly). There are far too many conference calls, many which are repetitive and feel like a waste of time. All are mandatory.
A typical day is either making calls in the office, filling out paperwork for a sale, or going out on appointments of prospecting for clients. One great thing about working at FIC is the fact that they have leads in schools because they are big in the 403(b) market.
Pros
everything you need is provided, training is wonderful, lots of help
Cons
lower than average commissions for insurance, ability to get other licenses limited, limited products for clients, management is uncaring at times, too many meetings
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTMay 14, 2013
There is a family feel to First Investors and the employees are very hard working, fun and welcoming all at the same time.

Towards the end of my internship, I felt like part of the office.
Not a great company in the financial world.
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 13, 2013
Studied and passed my life, health, accident test, series 6 test, and series 63 test all in three weeks. Did a lot of cold calling to prospect new clients.
Pros
helping people with life insurance, investments, insurance
Cons
takes a long time to build up any business/having to call your friends and family for business
The place to be if sales is in your blood
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2013
A typical day in the office consisted of running client lists as well as lists of potential clients that could be found either online or through a phone book, depending on your chosen marketing audience. I focused on current clients who had not been active within a couple of months or even years. I reached out and set up meetings to review and update their financial records and suggested financial vehicles as I deemed fit. I also branched out and targeted community centers, clubs, schools and non-profits to set up retirement seminars for the staff and members. Though I had all the heart and desire to do well in this particular field, Sales, as I found out, was not the right direction for me. Dealing with that is what I would say was the most challenging part of the job because a lot of effort is needed to succeed and at times, though the effort is put forth, you do not see the amount of fruits to match your labor. However, I will say the most enjoyable part was building the relationships with the clients and working together on improving their financial future. It was a gratifying position from that aspect.

My co-workers were great and were always available to answer my questions about specific products and gave me tips on how to make myself more marketable to different audiences. Management, though not always as available, was understanding of the difficulties of the position and landing certain sales and were very encouraging.
Pros
supportive staff, rapid advancement dependent on meeting sales goals
Cons
no base salary, limited benefits
Turn around and go the other way
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 28, 2013
I hated working here. They hire you so they can get to the people you know and try and sell them something. It literally takes years to build a clientelle and the first year - two years, the money you are making comes from future earnings. Not a good way to support a family UNLESS they literally give you clients who already have products which will only happen if somoene is retiring and they give you their clients.
Pros
very few
Cons
many
Very productive
First Investors Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 17, 2013
I would check in with the firm manager for my work duties. I spent time doing database entry, finding clients folders, and working with fellow intern. When day was over, I would check in with the firm manager to see if all the task of the day were completed.
Pros
being around like-minded people
Cons
n/a
Learning how to run your own business in the finance sector.
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAFebruary 28, 2013
A typical days work was lots of calling to clients and prospects and then meeting one on one with clients to help reach financial goals using our financial vehicles.
Pros
make own schedule and pay raises
Cons
hard to get started, commission only
A great place to start your career
Intern, Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2013
A great place to get an overview of financial services.
I've learned how to development potential clients.
Overworked and underpaid
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORNovember 8, 2012
Small financial investment firm, working with mainly retirement accounts. As an assistant I was paid directly out of financial representatives salaries. I was doing the work of 2.5 people and getting paid 70% if what my peers made.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits
Great Place to Work
Registered Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 13, 2012
I enjoyed the work atmosphere and the concepts I learned about the financial services industry. I learned from amazing managers and they accept the best and the brightest.
Pros
management was very supportive.
Cons
during training you are not paid.
Most people are friendly.
Registration Associate (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJSeptember 27, 2012
The majority of the people here are extremely friendly and easy to get along with. The select few people I wound up working with and working for, were not so friendly. The training I received was completely inadequate and insufficient for me to perform my duties properly, amidst an organization-wide change for the firm. My co-workers were cold and very unfriendly, which made my work atmosphere very uncomfortable and awkward to be in. The demands of the position were extremely high, and unrealistic for a person starting off; unless better training is provided. I learned a great deal about the financial industry, and acquired an enormous amount of experience in relatively very short amount of time. However, the unwelcoming work atmosphere, combined with the errors conducted due to poor training practices, ultimately led to my discharge. I would work for First Investors Corporation again, just not in Broker/Dealer Operations.
Pros
friendly people (for the most part), comparable starting salary, good employee benefits
Cons
unmanageable work loads, minimal position training, unrealistically high demands of new employees
just ok
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 9, 2012
It was just an ok place to work. There was no opportunity for advancement.
Abilities to cross-function in other job areas of the business
Bankruptcy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaSeptember 6, 2012
A typical day is never the same as you have to be prepared and open in your daily routine for change or available should something appear. I have learned my job function(s) by researching my specific duties and finding ways to improve and make things smoother. I interact with other entities and lawyer companies that require my knowledge to be exposed and accessed. This allows me to keep abreast of current laws and terms of my process in order to stay within strict compliance. I believe management overall are constantly finding ways to improve upon processess here and want to expand co-workers knowledge in all areas of the business and keep us informed of where we are and stand in the company. My co-workers are team driven and are willing to assist in areas that are weak to keep things afloat and strong. The hardest part of the job is balance between learning new job functions and still maintaining your own specific workload. However, there are many tools in place that will assist you should you need help and you have the support of your supervisors and team lead. The most enjoyable part of the job is its flexibility in schedules to allow employees to make appointments when necessary for their children or doctor visits when needed.
Pros
flexibility in work schedules
Cons
challenges in employee retention
Sales oriented but allows for you to be your own boss
Finance Internship (Former Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAAugust 22, 2012
I was an intern for First Investors and learned a lot about how the sales side of Business works. Being able to set your own schedule would be very nice, but everyone knows you only get out what you put in.
Not the job for me
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHAugust 8, 2012
It was not the right job for me. I felt uncomfortable picking up the phone and cold calling people.
Pros
flexable
Cons
too young for job
great people to work with
Representative (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYJuly 26, 2012
good company need to be a good sales man I was not able to make enough in a commission based salary but for the right person it would fit. You get to choose your work hours and can work as hard as you want.
Job Not For Everyone
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Capital Hill,DCJuly 10, 2012
Best piece of advise to anyone looking to work for First Investors: YOU BETTER KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE. If you think you know a lot of people, think again because more than likely you do not. This job is not for everyone. This is a commission only job, fyi: you will put in a large sum of money without seeing the return until you actually report business.

You will learn a lot of information from this company that you should share with others. Management is great at doing their job, but depending on where you are located, co-workers differ, but everyone is usually pretty nice. The hardest part about this job is the long hours and you can go weeks without seeing a paycheck.
Pros
convention
Cons
no type of payment while in training. you are literally investing in your future.
This is a fun job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 23, 2012
A typical day a work started with going into the office. Prepared computer models of financial objectives for prospective clients. Management was on location to assist with issues encountered. Co-workers were also available. The hardest part of the job was getting prospective clients. The most enjoyable part was sitting down with clients and closing a financial plan.
Pros
exciting financial products for presentation
Cons
job enhancement
Make money or leave
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2012
Terrible company, you had to make calls all day nad build your own client base. I had no social life whatsoever, and the pay was terrible
Pros
make your own hours
Cons
no life

2.8