First Investors Corporation Employee Reviews

Hold out for something better!
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, New YorkNovember 3, 2013
Oodles of promises made, none are kept! They try to tell you things like "we'll support you every step of the way" or "we'll administer training in this area or that"...Never happened. Very poor support from the managers and training managers, and lots of lies made about your compensation. And sketchy methods used to obtain leads.
Pros
You don't have to work if you dont want to
Cons
I loved what the position entailed
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 12, 2013
A financial representative position allows one to be build relationships with clients and help them improve their financial profile. I enjoyed all the new information I learned when I started the job at First Investors Corporation. It allowed me to gain a deeper understanding about savings, retirement planning, insurance, and invenstments.
Pros
learning experiance
Learned a lot
Financial Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJOctober 8, 2013
It was a great way to learn about the financial services industry.
Financial internship
Financial Advisor III (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 20, 2013
Great place to work, loved the people and the job. Gave you freedom to create and grow your own business.
Might be a good place for some, its a commisions only job.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 12, 2013
Its ok for an internship, something to put on a resume. Gained some insight about retirement planning and investing.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No benefits
Great stepping stone!
Intern, Financial Service (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 11, 2013
My experience here helped as a stepping stone towards my career. I learned a great deal from my coworkers and managers. My managers always saw the best in me and wanted to see me grow.
Office Internship
13 week office intern participant (Former Employee) –  Canonsburg, PASeptember 5, 2013
Very limited information to provide for an office internship.

Alphabetize client files
Update CSQ tracker
Standard office administrative work

How to be efficient in an office setting was what I learned the most.

co-workers were financial advisors, so they were always out on business with clients.

Limitability of work

Gained some hands on experience in an office setting.
Pros
Great internship
Cons
13 week internship, not enough time
First Investors Corporation
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 11, 2013
Its an insurance company.Its productive,growth oriented.
A learning experience
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 8, 2013
this was my first job out of college and I am eternally grateful to First Investors for their leap of faith of me. The work environment was completely supportive and a place to look forward to going. The overarching problem with me was a personal block, I didn't have the audacity, as a 22 year old poli sci major with minimal financial experience, to offer myself as a guru with invesiting, planning, and insurance. Resigning was the right thing to do. Many reps in the office would commit their time to helping me, and knowing that I was looking elsewhere and didn't possess a long term desire to stay in the industry, was disingenuous to them and their time. Although it might seem so, I am not a quitter. My pitiful metaphor to the situation, is a young kid lifting weights to soon; yes taking on the challenge is impressive but it ultimately stunts your growth. That being said, I recommend anyone with financial concerns or goals to First Investors.
New type of Experience
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, InAugust 5, 2013
A typical day would be calling businesses to set up appointments for the week. Meeting with people in the afternoon and evenings. There were meeting every Monday and Friday. Monday were the latest days due to needing to try to schedule at least 8 appointments for the week.
Pros
Got to meet alot of interesting people
Cons
Alot of reschedules causing your appointment to not be very good for the week
Broker Dealer/FundServ Representative (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 26, 2013
Good place to work with great people. Small company making great progress with exceptional people
Workplace culture that you have to get used to experiencing
Sales Desk (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 25, 2013
Started with the company about three years ago, the culture, I found, to be vastly different to other organizations I had worked for through my career. I found that the employees were not give chances to improve processes, or advance. Critical and sometimes rude supervisors would sit in cubicles at the back of the row, as if in an ivory tower.

My second position, has been better, but has confronted me with a situation, that I have never encountered. I don't want to go into personal details, there is a conflict in the department, and I made management aware, and nothing has been done.

The majority of the employees of the company are good people, hard-working and loyal. The culture is a little to old style for my tastes.
Very Structured and Too Many Meetings
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJMay 30, 2013
This is a perfect place to start in the business. FIC provides you with a unique and powerful training which will build your confidence and make you feel ready to start going on appointments.
However, the product selection is very limited (but growing somewhat rapidly). There are far too many conference calls, many which are repetitive and feel like a waste of time. All are mandatory.
A typical day is either making calls in the office, filling out paperwork for a sale, or going out on appointments of prospecting for clients. One great thing about working at FIC is the fact that they have leads in schools because they are big in the 403(b) market.
Pros
everything you need is provided, training is wonderful, lots of help
Cons
lower than average commissions for insurance, ability to get other licenses limited, limited products for clients, management is uncaring at times, too many meetings
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTMay 14, 2013
There is a family feel to First Investors and the employees are very hard working, fun and welcoming all at the same time.

Towards the end of my internship, I felt like part of the office.
Not a great company in the financial world.
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 13, 2013
Studied and passed my life, health, accident test, series 6 test, and series 63 test all in three weeks. Did a lot of cold calling to prospect new clients.
Pros
Helping people with life insurance, investments, insurance
Cons
Takes a long time to build up any business/having to call your friends and family for business
The place to be if sales is in your blood
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2013
A typical day in the office consisted of running client lists as well as lists of potential clients that could be found either online or through a phone book, depending on your chosen marketing audience. I focused on current clients who had not been active within a couple of months or even years. I reached out and set up meetings to review and update their financial records and suggested financial vehicles as I deemed fit. I also branched out and targeted community centers, clubs, schools and non-profits to set up retirement seminars for the staff and members. Though I had all the heart and desire to do well in this particular field, Sales, as I found out, was not the right direction for me. Dealing with that is what I would say was the most challenging part of the job because a lot of effort is needed to succeed and at times, though the effort is put forth, you do not see the amount of fruits to match your labor. However, I will say the most enjoyable part was building the relationships with the clients and working together on improving their financial future. It was a gratifying position from that aspect.

My co-workers were great and were always available to answer my questions about specific products and gave me tips on how to make myself more marketable to different audiences. Management, though not always as available, was understanding of the difficulties of the position and landing certain sales and were very encouraging.
Pros
Supportive staff, rapid advancement dependent on meeting sales goals
Cons
No base salary, limited benefits
Turn around and go the other way
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 28, 2013
I hated working here. They hire you so they can get to the people you know and try and sell them something. It literally takes years to build a clientelle and the first year - two years, the money you are making comes from future earnings. Not a good way to support a family UNLESS they literally give you clients who already have products which will only happen if somoene is retiring and they give you their clients.
Pros
very few
Cons
many
Very productive
First Investors Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 17, 2013
I would check in with the firm manager for my work duties. I spent time doing database entry, finding clients folders, and working with fellow intern. When day was over, I would check in with the firm manager to see if all the task of the day were completed.
Pros
being around like-minded people
Cons
n/a
Learning how to run your own business in the finance sector.
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAFebruary 28, 2013
A typical days work was lots of calling to clients and prospects and then meeting one on one with clients to help reach financial goals using our financial vehicles.
Pros
make own schedule and pay raises
Cons
hard to get started, commission only
A great place to start your career
Intern, Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2013
A great place to get an overview of financial services.
I've learned how to development potential clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Investors Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8