First Investors

First Investors Employer Reviews

Great company with excellent people and culture.
Financial Analyst - Life Insurance (Current Employee), Edison, NJDecember 25, 2014
Pros: freedom to grow.
Cons: none.
I enjoy working here; the people & environment are great. The culture is wonderful as management sets a great goal-minded tone.
Fast paced
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee), Livonia, MIDecember 17, 2014
Great company with competitive and proprietary products helping clients reach their retirement goals.
VERY MOTIVATING AND COMPETITIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee), Lexington, KYDecember 12, 2014
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK IS ABOUT GROWING YOUR BOOK OF BUSINESS. PROSPECTING AND BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS WITH PEOPLE AND CONNECTING TO THEM ON A PERSONAL LEVEL AND HAVING THEM TO TRUST YOU IS WAY TO HAVE THEM CONDUCT BUSINESS WITH YOU. SALES IS AN ART AND YOU HAVE TO GET THE "NO" TO GET THE "YES".

I LEARNED TIME MANAGEMENT AND HOW TO TALK TO CLIENTS ON – more... THE PHONE AND HOW TO EXPAND MY BUSINESS.

THE HARDEST PART OF MY JOB WHEN I STARTED WAS COLD CALLING BUT THEN YOU WILL LEARN THAT "NO" MEANS NOT NOW.

THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF MY JOB WAS THE REWARDING FEELING AFTER A CLIENT REACHED THEIR FINANCIAL GOAL. – less
good way of learning the business
Financial Representative (Former Employee), latham nyDecember 9, 2014
Pros: you get 25% commisssion when training with a base pay to keep you going
Cons: long hours and all commission once off training
a typical day is where you are prospecting for your own leads thru who you know, calling them and trying to set up an appointment, cold calling as well is included, meetings on Mondays wed and Fridays. the managers know what they are talking about and are very helpful.
Be prepared for sales
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee), East Hartford, CTDecember 2, 2014
Sales job that is great for those who want to be selling to people.
Call center
Customer Service (Former Employee), Woodbridge, NJDecember 1, 2014
I enjoyed the people that I worked with within this company. I had many responsibilities. I fielded calls from customers to handle account inquiries, make account adjustments and account errors. I also was responsible for welcoming new customers to the program and giving them a tutorial and overview of the program and worked closely with them for their – more... first year with the company. I handled the specialized enrollment forms that would be printed for each customers new school year and ensured that their requests were processed in a timely manner. I also trained new hires on how to speak with customers on the telephone, how to handle their requests and how to use the software and read the accounts. – less
Not a bad place for a first job
Financial Representative (Current Employee), New york, NYDecember 1, 2014
This is not a bad place for a first job if you can't find a salaried position. . THey let you receive your series 6, series 63 and life insurance license off the back. If you want to learn how to be in business on your own then this is the place to be. Once you are licensed its up to you to find your own clients. They will tell you to call your mom – more... dad grandma and everyone in your phone book, so up to you if thats how you want business to be done or not. Work on saturday and and aside from christmas day and thanksgiving day you work all holidays. They will pretty much hire anyone so if you are looking to get licensed this is a good place to go. – less
good place to work
Trainee Representative (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXNovember 21, 2014
Typical day for me was just studying for the state and federal securities license as well as the state insurance exams
I learned the various laws that are applied when handling insurance in the state of Texas
Management here was on point. Everyone is extremely nice and are always willing to help you.
My coworkers are very helpful and will do whatever – more... they can to help you get to where you need to be.
The hardest part was sitting in the office and studying for exams the whole day
I went on one company outing with First Investors and that was very fun and relaxing – less
not in business anymore
Financial Consultant/Closer (Former Employee), O'Fallon, ILNovember 7, 2014
not in business anymore. that should be an indication of what kind of company it is
Office Setting
Registered Representative (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 7, 2014
Pros: limitless earnings
Cons: slow start
9:30am-6pm day.... Independent contractor status. Great people in the office. Helpful staff.
Tight spot
Registered Representative (Former Employee), n/aOctober 1, 2014
Cons: long hours, little pay
Typical day includes cold calling, calling friends and family and getting them to sit down so you can convince them to invest/ buy life insurance
Hardest part is hitting the numbers they expect
most enjoyable part is actually going to see people
Great Company
Sr. Administrator (Former Employee), Hampton, VASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: long time established company with good benefits
Cons: the pay for salary workers could be better.
Long time establish company. Was there for 10 years. If the branch had not closed and merged with another branch. I would still be there at this time.
Demanding workplace that pushes success
Financial Representative (Former Employee), Lombard, ILSeptember 16, 2014
-Typical hours usually around 9:30am - 8pm with occasional weekend hours.

-Day consists of training, meetings, calling prospective clients, going on appointments with clients.

-I learned time management skills, customer service and sales skills, and organization skills.

-Management consisted of two managers who helped train. One was very easy going, – more... but didn't have as much experience while the other was very experienced, but was very demanding and pushy. I do believe both were very interested in trying to help me succeed.

-co-workers were very friendly and helpful.

-The hardest part of the job was the calling trying to set up appointments, whether it be with friends and family or cold calling.

The most enjoyable part was helping people come up with a financial plan for their future while on appointments. – less
Work Environment was not intern friendly
Rollover Associate (Former Employee), Edison, New JerseySeptember 15, 2014
Cons: poor attitudes from fellow co-workers
I consider myself to be a very people friendly person who can get along with just about anyone I work with. Unfortunately, for the people I worked with in the department I was in, this personality was not good enough for them. They're were very distant, not very good at training and basically threw you to the wolves and expect you to do no errors! I – more... have worked in rollover depts before and have had extensive training with help afterwards when needed from people with a great attitudes. They were never condescending or beligerant in regards to your work and it was a perfect working atmosphere! Sadly, that was not the case for me here at First Investors and now I see they're looking for another employee for the same position and it doesn't surprise me either! Judging from the prior comments, many have had similar experiences at this company and it's very unfortunate! – less
Terrible culture
Registered Representative (Former Employee), Woodbridge, NJSeptember 12, 2014
Unreceptive culture as everyone is in competition constantly.
Great Support
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee), Nanuet, NYSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: supportive atmosphere, positive sale morals
Cons: long hours, tons of driving around
I ws not looking to do sales, especially with other people's money but the message that the manager gave was to do the right thing and you will be sucessful and that is my philosophy. I was like a teacher, explaining and teaching middle class families how to shiel;d their money from taxes and save for retirement and secure their families future. I always – more... had a full week of appointments all through the tri-state area. I felt like I was helping people and that is what I love to do. – less
A fast paced introduction to the commercial finance world
FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Westbury, New YorkAugust 15, 2014
I experienced long days from studying for my licenses to calling clients and going on appointments. The study and examination of the licenses really helped understand a lot of products. The management is top notch and make certain to assign a mentor for every new recruit and work with them on how to gather and satisfy client's needs.
Great atmosphere
Registered Representative (Former Employee), Hartford, CTAugust 14, 2014
Ability to truly succeed as a financial services representative. Training program and development lead to an abundance of opportunities to learn about the financial markets and the development of client relationships.
Fun work environment, no work-life balance
Financial Representative (Current Employee), Beaverton, ORAugust 10, 2014
I enjoyed chatting with my co-workers and taking part in office-wide volunteer projects. However, there was little guidance and I was essentially "thrown to the wolves" when I first started and expected to hit the floor running in a very active workplace. The hardest part of the job was simply keeping up with all of the requirements.
I discovered the Mutual Funds wasn't a good fit for me.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Woodbridge, NJJuly 27, 2014
Pros: there weren't any.
Cons: extrmemely poor management.
I was the wrong person for the job. I haven't a real grasp on Stocks & Mutual Funds.
I was,however, very good with the people, & received 3 compliments.

1 2 3 4 5

About First Investors

Founded in 1930, First Investors is one of the oldest mutual fund distributors and underwriters in the country. We started our – Read more