First Merchants Bank

First Merchants Bank Employee Reviews

Okay place to work right out of highschool
Teller (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 4, 2016
FMB is a decent place to work and build your resume if you're a high school graduate. I personally do not believe this is a company meant for a long term career choice. Compensation is inadequate for the stress put upon employees and health benefits are very high deductible. Co-workers are amazing and are the only thing that made it bearable to go into work at times. On the branch side, selling is of high importance, even when you see the same clientele everyday. If you don't sell, you won't have a job. Behind the scenes jobs are also high stress, just in a different way. FMB slogan is "Strength of big, service of small", but it seems they have forgotten where their roots began, with their customers and employees as the main focus. They are mainly focused on making money nowadays, sadly.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Compensation, benefits, stress
They have Big focus days to promote business and we dress up with a theme
Vault Teller (Current Employee) –  Munster, INJune 17, 2015
Great place to work every one works together. They have focus days and class to up date us on up coming changes. The most enjoyable part is talking with customers getting to know them and there needs.
Pros
Gift cards for volunteering
Productive workplace
service associate/teller (Former Employee) –  South Holland, ILMay 20, 2015
Great co-workers, I learned a lot about building relationships with clients. Most enjoyable part of the job was the "Big Day" and different events we sponsored.
Pros
christmas lunches
Cons
healthcare
FMB
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hendricks County, IndianaMarch 26, 2015
I have always enjoyed my job and the sales focus. The compensation is a little low, but you can qualify for bonuses with good quarterly results.
Pros
Love the customers, coworkers and the job
Cons
Low pay, average health insurance
Worst management
Former teller (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMarch 13, 2015
Somewhat busy office, enjoy co-workers because they are the best, hardest part was selling products to clients that didn't need it, just to meet quota, tension and stress is high, due to micro management style! Her position is, if you don't meet quota, you need to find another place another employment!
Pros
employees and customers
Cons
micromanagement and pushing products just to meet managers quota
The job was demanding yet satisfying
Commercial Loan Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Daleville, INFebruary 17, 2015
A typical day at work was not typical. The jobs consisted of ever changing rules and regulations and a project did not last for more then 7 consecutive days.
Pros
freindly atmosphere
Cons
co-workers and supervisors that thought they were better then everyone else
Professional yet fun work place
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Dyer, INFebruary 2, 2015
While the day starts very early, you never work after 6 p.m. The staff is very personable and easy to talk to. Th
ere is always someone you can speak to personally or call if you ever do not understand something or need help.
A very valuable learning experience
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Wabash, inDecember 6, 2014
Is a very prestigious bank to work for. Employees are treated well. Training is somewhat complicated becasue of all that there is to learn. Corporate office is well equipped with knowledgable people. Corporate with offer training sessions.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
nothing
Very disciplined workplace that is focused on building personal relationships with consumers and local business.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 2, 2014
My current employer merged with another financial institution early 2014.

My previous position was Teller Supervisor. I was asked to stay on in the retail division and my position was changed to Customer Service Manager.

A typical day includes all operational aspects of retail banking. I am responsible for 7 associates. I coach staff to engage clients in needs based conversations, as well as cross selling products and services. I also manage all aspects of operations and bank security. In my position I truly enjoy working with clients to provide solutions and recommend services to assist our clients.

Management is very supportive and since integration, I have been challenged by direct supervisors to take on new tasks and new projects. The encouragement has helped me to develop and fine tune my skills as a manager and has also given me the opportunity to learn and implement new ideas to improve productivity.

As a supervisor, my goal is to work closely with my staff to develop their skills and hold them accountable for their contributions to the overall success and achievement of personal goals and branch goals. I lead by example.

By educating staff and helping them identify their strengths and areas of improvement, I take great pride in observing staff morale as they grow in their position and gain confidence in their abilities.

It has been a challenge to overcome some of the stigma that comes with change, especially for long time clients. During my interactions, I find that just by listening to clients concerns and displaying genuine empathy about how change will effect
  more... them, helps put them at ease.  less
Pros
enjoy learning and continuous education
Cons
compensation
Great place to work!
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Highland, INAugust 24, 2014
A typical day consists of managing accounts, assisting clients, Many opportunities for advancement.
Great Bank
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INApril 7, 2014
Wonderful bank with a lot of very smart people. Everybody is very professional and quick to handle client needs. The only downside is the existence of some politics (in my opinion).
Pros
great people.
Cons
some politics.
Great place to work. Always treated me with respect
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Connersville, INFebruary 26, 2014
Great place to work. Always treated me with respect. Ample opportunity for advancement.
This company encourages success.
Customer Service Representative - Reserve (Former Employee) –  Lafayette regionDecember 11, 2013
This company will teach you anything you need to know and will make sure you have the tools available to you that you need to succeed.
Pros
good pay and reimbursement
Cons
healthcare plan is not great, my position had no predictability in the schedule
Friendly Branch
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Pendleton, INOctober 27, 2013
Management at the branch is outstanding. She understands the value of family and makes it possible for us to balance our lives. A typical day at work is full of friendly customer service and we strive to go above and beyond expectations to meet our customer's needs. We are an "in demand" branch, some drive extra miles to visit us. My co-workers are all in different phases of their lives, so we balance each other well. They're a fun bunch of girls to work with. I enjoy talking with the different customers we have, and I find satisfaction in helping them in any way I am allowed. The hardest part of my job is not really a "function" issue, it's the lack of feeling like I leave work with a sense of accomplishment. Being a bank teller is very repetitive and there are not many situations that arise that I can achieve that sense of accomplishment.
Pros
excellent manager, company supports work/home balance
Cons
education not considered in determining compensation, therefore well educated employees are paid less than high school graduates, not much room for advancement.
loved working at FMB
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INSeptember 16, 2013
I loved working at First Merchants Bank. I got to know my customers and develop a relationship with them. My co workers and I got along very well we all became very good friends. I started as a teller and in March of 2013 I became the CSR. I was then in charge of the teller line and I opened all accounts. I liked being in charge and having more responsibilities .
Great Leadership
Vice President, Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INNovember 26, 2012
Great leadership with a positive direction. Employees come first, except when it comes to compensation.
Teller and Vault Teller
Teller (Current Employee) –  Decatur, INSeptember 18, 2012
I have basic teller duties plus vault duties. I control all the money coming and going from the vault. I assist customers everyday with basic transactions and personal financing. I have learned a lot of customer service skills along with the many, ever-changing, bank procedures. Over the course of the past few years we have had several managers oversee us, they tend to take promotions elsewhere in the bank. I have come to think of my co-workers as my friends. We make eachother laugh and know how to cheer eachother up when we are having a off day. One of the hardest parts of my job is making sure there is an adequate supply of money while staying within a limit. I do enjoy my co-workers and dealing with the deposit side of my job.
I've been a loyal employee of First Merchants for 32 years
Wire Transfer Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 7, 2012
I've been a loyal employee of First Merchants for 32 years and I'm currently searching for a new career in a professional environment.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
opportunities for long term employees.