First Merchants Bank Employee Reviews

A bank that cares about the welfare of their employees.
Learning Development & Performance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 8, 2018
I enjoy the culture at First Merchants Bank, it is a $9 Billion company with 120 banking centers; small enough to know so many fellow employees and large enough to offer the products and services of a larger financial institution.
No Comment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 6, 2018
Stressful environment. Not enough hours in the day to complete what they expect of the employees. Love my co-workers, dislike the company and all it stands for.
Nice place to work and with people who care.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Daleville, IN 47334January 2, 2018
I can't really find anything to complain about working for this company. They have taken very good care of me as an employee and all the staff there including management seem to care about each other's well-being and care about the company.
Great place to work with great people and great benefits.
Loan Servicing Associate (Current Employee) –  Daleville, INDecember 26, 2017
Great place to work with great people and great benefits. Benefits such as most departments working M-F 8-5 and no weekends, paid vacation and sick time, 401k and more.
Good Community Bank
Investment Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 6, 2017
Bank has strong commitment to the communities where banking centers are located.
Investment business is not integrated into bank culture and lacks clarity for success of employees
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Poor Management
Nice co workers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Daleville, INDecember 5, 2017
People are fairly nice there. It's a great job if you're okay with sitting for 8 hours. Great pay for quality work. There is grading for the quality of the calls you take and how fast you can resolve the issue.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Graded on calls
Be prepared to be bored and have horrible hours
Employee (Current Employee) –  DalevileDecember 4, 2017
Not a fun place but what call center is, overstaffed, you might take 40 calls a day, management is horrible and be prepared to not have any communication from them or be called names behind your back. Very childlike management that shouldn't be in the position they are in. Hardest part of the job is sitting there waiting for you phone to ring and dealing with lack of communication from the management team and being talked to like a child.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management, hours, pay
Very nice place to work - able to advance thru the company.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Dyer, INNovember 30, 2017
A day at work would be calling clients to come and meet to make sure they were in the most beneficial account. Opening any an all accounts. Interacting with the manager daily going over numbers and what where areas that we could improve on.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with client who were having financial issues.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet and know our clients - they were coming in just to see me for help.
Pros
flexible hrs
Cons
pay
Work Life Balance
Balancing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 20, 2017
First Merchants Bank is a good place to work if you are looking for professional growth and opportunities. The environment is customer focused and driven to challenge its employees to strive for success.
Personal Observation
Asst Real Estate Appraiser, Mgt Trainee (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 19, 2017
Even though my direct supervisor was someone I enjoyed working with, the leadership structure was not personable or positive toward advancement unless you played the "look-at-me" game.

Want to know more about First Merchants Bank?

Ask a question
Loved my job and my co-workers
MORTGAGE LOAN SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INNovember 17, 2017
Work day was spent assisting loan officers, research and helping customers.
Management was top notch
Work environment was professional but still had time to have fun.
I liked my co-workers and everything that was expected of me each day.
Pros
The co-workers.
Cons
When this position was eliminated.
good place for employment
Pension Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 23, 2017
I enjoyed my time at First Merchants. During my time there, I held three different positions in the Trust Department. This gave me an opportunity to develop more in the banking field. My previous banking experience was more on the customer service side. These positions allowed me to grow and move to Marsh with confidence.
Pros
hours suitable for mother with young children
Cons
lower pay
Okay place to work, but would not reccomend it.
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  IndianaOctober 11, 2017
Working at first merchants is okay. Being a teller you get underpaid for all the work you have to do. You have to call people at there homes or work to get them to get products. I don’t believe you should bother people like that. You only get about $10 an hour with no raises that i know of. You can work here for 3 years and only get a .40 cent raise. Other banks pay a lot better without all the stress.
Pros
Getting to help people
Cons
Managment, no raises
Productive and great place to advance
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Knightstown, INOctober 2, 2017
First Merchants is by far the best job that I have had. They are a great company, with many chances to grow. There are a lot of great opportunities to grow and learn.
Fast Paced and Consistent
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Harvey, ILSeptember 19, 2017
On the overall i enjoyed my time at First Merchants Bank a typical work day i seen over 100 clients in a day where i handled deposits and withdrawals transactions throughout the day while having needs based conversation with every client while checking the account history and comparing witch service we have that would best benefit the client
Pros
Quarterly Incentive, Helpful Management
Cons
Short Breaks, Constant Changes
Was a loan processor
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INSeptember 19, 2017
I worked as a loan processor. It was close to my home and I was able to go home for lunch which saved money. I was allowed to work overtime and that helped with the pay.
I loved the clientele
CSR/Assistant Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INSeptember 17, 2017
This was an ideal job for me. It was fast pace on most days. I love the people in which I worked with as well as the clients. My issue was there was no work/life balance. With my position I was salary, so no paid overtime. However on any given week I would work over 44hrs because branch of call offs and under staffing.
Pros
Attainable goals, incentive, and benefits
Cons
High turnover rate
Unbalanced Compensation
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Daleville, INAugust 25, 2017
If you are in sales or any area that generates revenue you can carve out a solid career. Administrative and operations positions are severely underpaid, and have very few career growth opportunities. The annual raise structure is laughable. They take advantage of being based in job starved areas where employees have no choice but to continue being underpaid and under valued.
Pros
Smart Executive Leadership, growing company
Cons
Low pay, below average benefits, focused more on growth than current employees
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 17, 2017
Working here was very enjoyable. Keeping the bank safe and secure. The coworkers was also nice and so was the customers who came into the bank. The people I work with always kept me happy.
best place to work, but very low pay
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Avon, INAugust 4, 2017
Great place to work, low pay and benefits. I really enjoyed working with customers. I love to work as teller. I liked to share banking products. talking to customers, getting to know them. so you know their needs it will be easy to share new products.
People come to bank because they like you. That is the key thing. I really enjoyed to talking to customers and helping them.
I have learned to be patience with some people.
I have learned to work with short staff on busy days. doing multiple tasking on fast phase on busy days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Merchants Bank. Our community is ready to answer.