First Merchants Bank Employee Reviews

Great coworkers, low compensation
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INDecember 10, 2016
Got 1 Saturday off a month, but if we worked on a Saturday then we got 1 day off during the week. That was somewhat nice. Made very little money and management worried more about themselves than about their employees.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Working Saturdays, low compensation
Fun and enjoyable place to work.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Union City, INDecember 29, 2016
A typical day as a bank teller included making deposits, withdrawals, writing out cashier checks, balancing out drawers and much more. The management is very good in helping you achieve your job and any issues. The co workers were pleasant and fun. The only bad thing I have to say about this job is that in order to keep your job as a teller you are expected to "sell the products" and have to meet a goal each month.
Decent Bank
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  IndianaJuly 5, 2016
Systems were easy to use and their was decent help. Management was fairly easy to reach. Advancement opportunities seem like they are pre-filled before the position is available.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Biased management
Good place
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INOctober 25, 2016
Good place to work but long hours on a regular basis. Co-workers nice. Busy on Mondays and Fridays, steady on other days.
Pros
Nice place
Cons
Remodeling created a lot of dust.
Okay place to work right out of highschool
Teller (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 4, 2016
FMB is a decent place to work and build your resume if you're a high school graduate. I personally do not believe this is a company meant for a long term career choice. Compensation is inadequate for the stress put upon employees and health benefits are very high deductible. Co-workers are amazing and are the only thing that made it bearable to go into work at times. On the branch side, selling is of high importance, even when you see the same clientele everyday. If you don't sell, you won't have a job. Behind the scenes jobs are also high stress, just in a different way. FMB slogan is "Strength of big, service of small", but it seems they have forgotten where their roots began, with their customers and employees as the main focus. They are mainly focused on making money nowadays, sadly.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Compensation, benefits, stress
Love the people and the environment
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INJanuary 19, 2017
I enjoy working here at the bank, I am all for moving forward and finding better opportunities as I am young and becoming more independent.
Very poor management, big turn over of personnel
Service associate (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INJune 18, 2016
When you see a lot of job postings, that's a no good sign. Most employees stayed a couple of months or less. Higher management needs more training, not easy to get along, poor work environment, stressful, hard pressure sales.
Cons
Stressful hard pressure sales
the worst place ever to work
service associate (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 15, 2016
Form for everything. Some mgrs. are great but most are not NOT since there is not a consequence for BAD managers, Upper management looks the other way and HR lets the managers know if you have complained about being discriminated against and the ramifications are intense. hr does ZERO to help you get out of the bad environment. VERY hostile environment. In the last 5 months including myself 6 people left the branch It was all because of the manager and some included the assistant mgr. Mostly because of the manager. Manager arrives late and leaves early states 35 hrs is full time and will not work weekends. I worked 8 in a row and she became mad when I said i will only work every-other as that is how I was hired in. Always says what goes on in these 4 walls stays in these 4 walls. Manager belittles employees in front of others and bad mouths employees to other employees and customers. Upper management is aware and has been for a LONG time so has HR. If you do not agree with the mgr is becomes because you are a different ethnic background. Heaven forbid it be because it is unethical!!! All the issues I had was because of her unethical ways and policy violations. One would think that if the manager had helped write the policies as claimed they would not be violated as often as they were. If you have an accident there you may or may not get the accident report filled out in a timely manor.
Don't waste time applying. There are too many good places out there, this is not a good work environment
Pros
resume shows worked for a bank
Cons
bad leadership from the top down. hostile, discriminates, form for everything
Friendly Branch
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Pendleton, INOctober 27, 2013
Management at the branch is outstanding. She understands the value of family and makes it possible for us to balance our lives. A typical day at work is full of friendly customer service and we strive to go above and beyond expectations to meet our customer's needs. We are an "in demand" branch, some drive extra miles to visit us. My co-workers are all in different phases of their lives, so we balance each other well. They're a fun bunch of girls to work with. I enjoy talking with the different customers we have, and I find satisfaction in helping them in any way I am allowed. The hardest part of my job is not really a "function" issue, it's the lack of feeling like I leave work with a sense of accomplishment. Being a bank teller is very repetitive and there are not many situations that arise that I can achieve that sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Excellent manager, company supports work/home balance
Cons
Education not considered in determining compensation, therefore well educated employees are paid less than high school graduates, not much room for advancement.
Great place to work!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 26, 2016
Great company! Couldn't continue with company due to personal situations. Great managers and trainers provided. Coworkers very helpful in making sure you are successful with what you do. Hardest part of the job was learning all of the different systems.
Teller and Vault Teller
Teller (Current Employee) –  Decatur, INSeptember 18, 2012
I have basic teller duties plus vault duties. I control all the money coming and going from the vault. I assist customers everyday with basic transactions and personal financing. I have learned a lot of customer service skills along with the many, ever-changing, bank procedures. Over the course of the past few years we have had several managers oversee us, they tend to take promotions elsewhere in the bank. I have come to think of my co-workers as my friends. We make eachother laugh and know how to cheer eachother up when we are having a off day. One of the hardest parts of my job is making sure there is an adequate supply of money while staying within a limit. I do enjoy my co-workers and dealing with the deposit side of my job.
Great career oriented workplace
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 13, 2016
Everyday activities consist of cash handling and offering products to our customers to help better their finances. I have learned how to manage well with different customers and situations.
Great place to work!
IT Intern (Current Employee) –  Daleville, INJanuary 18, 2016
First Merchants is a great company to work for. The people are great and always willing to help. The only downfall is the work load. The company is growing and the IT staff is not so it's a bit overwhelming at times, especially at the help desk.
Pros
Friendly people, friendly managers, great environment
Cons
Very busy most of the time
Worst management
Former teller (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMarch 13, 2015
Somewhat busy office, enjoy co-workers because they are the best, hardest part was selling products to clients that didn't need it, just to meet quota, tension and stress is high, due to micro management style! Her position is, if you don't meet quota, you need to find another place another employment!
Pros
Employees and customers
Cons
Micromanagement and pushing products just to meet managers quota
Very disciplined workplace that is focused on building personal relationships with consumers and local business.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 2, 2014
My current employer merged with another financial institution early 2014.

My previous position was Teller Supervisor. I was asked to stay on in the retail division and my position was changed to Customer Service Manager.

A typical day includes all operational aspects of retail banking. I am responsible for 7 associates. I coach staff to engage clients in needs based conversations, as well as cross selling products and services. I also manage all aspects of operations and bank security. In my position I truly enjoy working with clients to provide solutions and recommend services to assist our clients.

Management is very supportive and since integration, I have been challenged by direct supervisors to take on new tasks and new projects. The encouragement has helped me to develop and fine tune my skills as a manager and has also given me the opportunity to learn and implement new ideas to improve productivity.

As a supervisor, my goal is to work closely with my staff to develop their skills and hold them accountable for their contributions to the overall success and achievement of personal goals and branch goals. I lead by example.

By educating staff and helping them identify their strengths and areas of improvement, I take great pride in observing staff morale as they grow in their position and gain confidence in their abilities.

It has been a challenge to overcome some of the stigma that comes with change, especially for long time clients. During my interactions, I find that just by listening to clients concerns and displaying genuine empathy about
  more... how change will effect them, helps put them at ease.  less
Pros
Enjoy learning and continuous education
Cons
Compensation
I've been a loyal employee of First Merchants for 32 years
Wire Transfer Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 7, 2012
I've been a loyal employee of First Merchants for 32 years and I'm currently searching for a new career in a professional environment.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
opportunities for long term employees.
Great Bank
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INApril 7, 2014
Wonderful bank with a lot of very smart people. Everybody is very professional and quick to handle client needs. The only downside is the existence of some politics (in my opinion).
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Some politics.
Fmb
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hendricks County, IndianaMarch 26, 2015
I have always enjoyed my job and the sales focus. The compensation is a little low, but you can qualify for bonuses with good quarterly results.
Pros
Love the customers, coworkers and the job
Cons
Low pay, average health insurance
Great Leadership
Vice President, Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INNovember 26, 2012
Great leadership with a positive direction. Employees come first, except when it comes to compensation.
Great place to work. Always treated me with respect
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Connersville, INFebruary 26, 2014
Great place to work. Always treated me with respect. Ample opportunity for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Merchants Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

First Merchants Bank Reviews by Location