First Midwest Bank Employee Reviews

Overall it was an okay work enviroment.
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Gary, INFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day at First Midwest Bank I would say is very challenging. At this job I learned everything that has to do with banking. I learned how to hand large amounts of cash . cash checks. deposit cash or checks into checking and savings accounts. I also learned how to identify suspicious activity. Management at First Midwest Bank were for self they were good at harming you instead of trying to help you , they also never listened to employees at all management there wasn't good. The hardest part working for an bank was practicing accuracy instead of speed. It was hard because on the first and end of the month customers would get there checks so you would have to get then in and out in a timely manner because it was extremely busy. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning banking procedures and some of the coworkers I worked with.
Pros
N/A
Benefits
strong companies with missed priorities
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILMarch 31, 2016
The company is very strong and great to work for; however, new hires are given more compensation than employees who have been around for a while and need to train the new hires
Teller daily cash handling
Teller (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILNovember 16, 2015
*Greeting clients, helping them leave satisfied financially
*Learned how to apply costumer service financially
*Learned how to manage money, time and responsibility on a daily basis
*My co-workers are my family and still are, they all help one another and go above and beyond to make our days run smooth with a smile
*The hardest part of my job was not being able to help clients that need help due to credit/money issues
*The best part of my job was learning on how to apply everything from the bank back into my personal life, I knew nothing about credit/loans/rates until I started working at First Midwest Bank
Pros
Benefits, Meeting new clients, building trust
Cons
Angry clients
decent workplace and decent pay but horrible management
Teller III (Current Employee) –  Morris, ILSeptember 30, 2015
typical day consists of taking care of customers that walk into the bank and make referrals to those clients. They really push sales at FMB. you have to reach a sales goal every month and if you don't, then you get written up. I like my co workers, its a fun bank to work at but management does not know how to deal with problems. if you have an issue with something/someone, then YOU become the problem. they give recognition and appreciation to wrong employees and the good ones end up leaving. hardest part of job is dealing with rude customers. or if there are no customers, you just sit around all day.
Pros
pay, hours, benefits
Cons
management, pushy sales goals
Relaxed atmosphere, challenging at times, and good benefits
Account Representative and Teller (Former Employee) –  Centerville, SDJuly 21, 2015
A typical day at work involved balancing transactions, researching fraudulent checks or transactions, waiting on customers, answering phones, and utilizing bank processing guidelines.

Management was very relaxed and supportive.

My co-workers were friends and neighbors and we all lived in the same small town. We supported each other on a personal and professional basis.

The hardest part of my job was getting interrupted during the process of counting money or balancing accounts.

The most enjoyable part of my job was waiting on customers and getting to know them over time. I also enjoyed solving challenging transaction and researching fraudulent transactions.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, hometown customer base, good benefits
Cons
Interruptions, no staff replacement when someone was ill, slow pace at times.
Teller III Trainer
Teller III Trainer (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILJune 30, 2016
I would help manage the tellers at the location I was working. When there were new hires I would train them on the duties. I would show them how to process deposits, withdrawals the drive thru. I also showed them how to balance their drawers, how to process travelers checks/money orders.
Pros
I loved traveling to different locations.
Cons
Didnt have any cons
Workplace, which requires a great Customer Service skills
Customer Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Morris, ILSeptember 27, 2015
Very sales oriented job, with monthly individual and branch goals. Decent pay, provides health, dental and vision insurance.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
part time benefits
Chaos
Treasury Management (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILApril 9, 2015
The constant reorganizations, and relocations (if you wanted to keep your job) were brutal. After 3 rounds of layoffs and a relocation, the burden on my home life outweighed the many many positive qualities of FMB. They have above average benefits, they have an excellent reputation in the communities they are located in as well as the industry itself. After firing all the small business bankers and dividing the responsibilities between Lenders and Treasury Managers, many were concerned about job security and performance goals.
Pros
Respected and reliable instution
Cons
lack of focus
Productive bank expanding rapidly
Residential Sales Manager North Region (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILFebruary 12, 2016
I worked primarily in the Northern Lake and McHenry counties, the primary goal was expansion in all areas of purchase and refinance transactions, support local branches with mortgage knowledge, applications and customer service. Worked closely with processing, underwriting and closing departments. Timeline management was a must to meet closing and contingency dates.
First Midwest Bank, a great place to work
Teller Supervisor II (Current Employee) –  Saint John, INJuly 18, 2016
First Midwest Bank is a great place to work, with great client interactions and employee engagement. They are continuing to gain more momentum,thus creating more job opportunities.
Pros
Incentives, insurance
TELLER III (Current Employee) –  Waukegan, ILJune 22, 2016
Good job to work when you have a family. Love the people I work with. Pretty flexable. Is kind of hard for advancement though if your trying to move around in the company. Waukegan main is a very busy branch and its not right that they are cutting staff
Overall its a good place to work.
TELLER (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 19, 2016
Co workers were great. Most enjoyable part was building relationships with co workers and clients. First Midwest Bank has an amazing culture.
Fmb
Consumer Banking Representative (Current Employee) –  Grayslake, ILJune 23, 2016
This company made me grow as person and as career this company gave me a opportunity to move up in the company . The management is really helpful and care about their staff.
Okay Place to Work
Teller Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILJune 27, 2016
First Midwest is a good place to work for with a great job work/life balance. Good benefits and possibility of job advancement.
Pros
Cons
Sales
Day in the life of a Full Service Banker
Full Service Banker (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INApril 14, 2015
Most of my tenure with First Midwest Bank was as a Full Service Banker in an in-store location. This allowed me to encounter many people with different backgrounds and brought many great relationships with clients and employees. Working in an in-store offered very flexible hours and often long days. I had managers that was very encouraging to the growth of their staff and provided a lot of training and development for such.
Pros
Great benefits, amazing co-workers
Excellent Starter Job
Proof Operator/ Adjustment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILNovember 4, 2015
First Midwest Bank was the first real job I had after the military. I worked at the Joliet Location for almost 6 years. The training was excellent and they taught me pretty much everything I know about Proof Encoding and Banking in general. Managers and supervisors really do care about their employees and I felt a family type of environment there, from day one.

It has been almost 11 years since my departure from First Midwest Bank, but I will always remember them as the company who helped form the excellent job skills I have today.
Pros
Family environment, good lunch breaks, clean and spacious facility, excellent pay, outstanding management.
Cons
...if you live in Chicago, it is too much of a commute.
Teller Review
Teller III (Current Employee) –  Crest Hill, ILApril 22, 2016
I like working as a teller and handling money. Being friendly with clients and learning their needs is also pleasant. I look forward to continue to work with the company in the future.
A warm and friendly atmosphere
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INAugust 12, 2013
Working for First Midwest Bank as the Teller Supervisor was fun at times but also challenging. It was my job to keep the morale and energy up with the teller staff. I made it a focus to make sure that each client received five star service. Working with the ladies was fun because we became a family, it definitely make the job enjoyable, while having to be away from home so often. The challenges of the job were the situations where there was nothing I could personally do to resolve a clients issue or problem. I learned leadership skills as well as how to deal with so many different personalities as the supervisor.I worked very close with the Branch Manager to come up with ideas and strategies to reach our weekly/monthly/yearly goals. My manager was my mentor and it was great to have that in my job.
Pros
benefits, potlucks, our clients
Cons
not always feeling valued
It paid the bills
Teller III/Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILApril 4, 2013
Perhaps it was due to the location that I worked at, but I had a horrible experience. My direct supervisor was talking to other employees about my personal business - things that no one else needed to know, such as health issues that I had shared with her in confidence. She was caught and reprimanded so it was not just me overreacting. The company does offer good benefits, but has become so sales driven that they have lost touch with some of their customer base. They claim to be a neighborhood, home town bank, but want to be a Chase or a Harris. The hardest part of the job was not being in the "clique" that was at my location and dealing with snide remarks about my life or faith - remarks that were heard, but overlooked, by management. Raises were a joke I think one year I got a quarter, but it is all based on what you sell. I have morals and I am not going to push someone who can barely keep a positive balance in their checking account to get a credit card. All FMB cares about is money and how they can get more of it out their customers.
Pros
3 weeks vacation for new ft employees after 3 month probation, good health ins benefits
Cons
focuses more on sales than on customers
not sure
Personal Banker /Bilingual/Spanish (Current Employee) –  Mundelein, ILJune 21, 2013
A typical day at work start at 8:30, morning pep meeting with branch manager. Great Co-workers, bad managemet. Hardest part of the job not having the proper tools to be able to sell products, bad communication with upper management, its all about who likes you and who you know,"POLITICS"! Great benefits, 401k, health insurace, dental and vision too. Hsa, free banking benefits.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, good competive salary, good schedule
Cons
bad management, not competive with other banks

First Midwest Bank Reviews by Location