First Niagara Financial Group Employee Reviews in United States

Great people doing their best
SVP, Retail Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 7, 2015
First Niagara is a great place to work.

The company is learning to operate in the new slower-growth economy and has committed to make massive investments in its future by devoting $250 million to building a new technology platform.

Another area of focus is bringing all employees together and re-invigorating the customer-centric culture that existed when the bank was smaller.

Many departments have seen multiple leadership changes in the past several years. Though the talented people in my department were often challenged by rapidly changing priorities of leadership, most put their shoulder to the wheel and did their best.

I will say that, despite the challenges, some of the best leaders I've worked with in my career are at First Niagara. I have high hopes for the company.
Pros
Great Employees, Solid Tradition, Good Compensation
Cons
Changing Leadership Priorities, Frequent Restructuring
Best place I've ever worked at
Client Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYJune 22, 2016
A place that is truly interested in seeing its employees grow and progress throughout the company. All managers are very approachable, and coworkers are amazing. All employees are work as a family and not just another number in the seat.
Pros
Flexible, Family life based, training
Fnfg
First Vice President, Technology Risk Officer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 21, 2016
Great company implementing next-generation banking technology capabilities. Excellent work culture with top talent.
Great culture and working environment
VP Solutions Delivery Manager/Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 6, 2015
Really enjoyed the team work and culture supported by senior management. The IT organization and Lines of Business were strategically aligned.
Micro Managers
Technology Help Desk/Data Center Operations (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYSeptember 15, 2015
I had a brief stay with the First Niagara bank. The people I worked with were great. Very nice and hard working. But the IT manager was a lunatic. If he was gone, the department would probably run much better. The training provided wasn't very good and you pretty much had to rely on guessing for most of the work.
Pros
Great opportunities for advancing, nice office
Cons
Poor training, micro manager, not a fun environment
Amazing career.
Customer Care Representative (CCR) (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAMay 16, 2015
Amazing place to work at. Great people and a great work/life balance. There is a lot of paid time off and if you don't use it all in one year, it will roll over to the next. Also, the work environment is very corporate which is also a plus.
Pros
PTO, Co-workers, hours
Cons
short breaks.
First Niagara Financial Group hires the best people they can find
Telephone Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 23, 2015
During a typical day at work I answered phone calls and interacted with emails with a wide variety of subject matters.

They required extra help with their department due to a merger bringing on clients from the New England region.

What I learned was that the difference between a bank and a credit union is substantial, especially in terms of their attitude towards the client.

I felt that most of the people that I worked with were smart and decent people who were getting a fair chance in life to have a career that they deserved.

The hardest part of the job was being able to intake high call volume about people's more complex banking needs.

The most enjoyable aspect of this employment experience was the parties that they had in the office.

I feel that this is a valuable asset to my resume and that prospective employers will chose to move forward with this as soon as possible.
Pros
overtime
Cons
temporary employment rather than full time permanent
Banker
Banker (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYJanuary 4, 2014
Small company. Located in Upstate New York. Retail banking. Terrible benefits.
great people to work with but the company seems to not know what it really wants.
Assistant Teller Supervisor, Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAAugust 14, 2014
i have met a lot of great people while working at First Niagara. the day mostly consist of processing teller transactions and referring products to those who were in need. i felt management didn't quite understand how things were on the branch level. i felt there was a heavy push in sales and generating traffic but a lack of focus on customer service. some of the practices that upper management wanted us to use contradicted the company's culture. i felt the sales was the hardest part of the job, but i got to meet a lot of diverse and incredible people, whether employees or customers, which was the most enjoyable part of the job. i learned a lot about regulations of the industry, management skills, and a lot about finances in general, stuff they should be teaching in schools.
Pros
all federal holidays off
Cons
heavy push in sales in an economy that wants none.
Learned a lot!
Mortgage Specialist (Contract Employee) (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYAugust 14, 2015
This place was good. Learned a lot and had good co workers. It was only a contract job so that would be my only complaint. I really liked learning and working in the mortgage industry.
Pros
Helpful co-workers
Cons
Wasnt hiring. It was contract work only.
Fast Paced, High Call Volume
Web Banking Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 29, 2012
Wonderful company, very flexible. Management is incredible and understanding. I have learned how to manage my time in a high volume call center, while also multi tasking (emails/phone calls). The most difficult part of my job would be having to learn how to correctly manage my time and be able to get all assigned work done by the end of the day. I have successfully managed to create a plan that works best for me, ensuring I get my work done and it is not rushed, and done to the best of my ability. Problem solving is the most rewarding and enjoyable part of my job. When a customer is unable to solve a problem on their own, I take it into my own hands and happily assist the customer until the problem has been correctly solved.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
short breaks
Strong Culture
VP, Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 17, 2015
The company has a good culture. Management has good top down approach to communication. The company also has limited silos between departments
Small company with amazing work culture - Finance Departments
Financial Data Analyst II - ALM (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 17, 2015
People are very accomodative and open to your ideas.
You will have the flexibilty to try and do what you like.
Cons: Lesser pay and yearly bonuses are also very less even if your are a high performer
Great work culture to balance work and life
Pipeline Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 9, 2012
Was given the opportunity to learn and build a career and a reputation to help further my development. Management is helpful and allow you to balance your work and life.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
advancement
Productive and challenging workplace in Downtown Hartford, CT DeNovo branch.
Assistant Vice President/Branch Manager II (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 6, 2012
In my current role, I spend a lot of time increasing business, developing my employees, promoting my company, and providing excellent customer service. As a bank manager, I have had the opportunity to get involved in my community and to develop relationships with many individuals and business owners. Through this role I have hired and developed a successful and energetic sales team, which I believe to be the key to the overall success of my branch. What I enjoy most about my job is the satisfaction that I get from helping clients with their financial needs and assisting my employees to grow personally and professionally.
It's just okay
Teller (Current Employee) –  Eastern PennsylvaniaApril 6, 2014
A typical day at work includes a morning huddle. No big deal, but it is essentially just an opportunity for your managers to tell you that the branch isn't producing enough of this or that and need to step up the game. Obviously upper management is breathing down their neck about productivity and sales, but you can't necessarily "sell" checking accounts, and interest rates are low at this company. Customers have laughed in my face when I recommend a product and they hear what their interest would be. Again, management is okay, but I get the feeling they're only in it for themselves. The company just "let go" an abundance of managers, so in their eyes they need to keep doing something right, or they're next. I don't think employees should be afraid to work at a company. Certain accounts you don't get sales credit for, but management still needs you to sell them. Not only does that make the job more challenging, but each day it becomes increasingly more frustrating. Sales goals are straight-forward, but increase each year; don't expect to succeed in this company unless you are an absolutely SALES-ORIENTED employee and love it. The enjoyable part of the company is the culture. They have an employee volunteer council and gives back to the community. Work/life balance is good, most branches are only open until 1pm on saturdays and closed sundays, so it's a 9-5 type job. However... if you're a worrier and do not like the pressure of having to make sales, or are not customer-oriented, this company may not be right for you.
Pros
company culture, volunteer opportunities, gives back to the community, do "competitions" for sales so you can win extra $$ etc...
Cons
incentive plan for tellers is not up to par, stressful at times, a very sales-oriented environment
Human Resources Dept DOES NOT protect their employees from Management Complaints (Retailiation)
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 3, 2015
First Niagara Financial Group preach the Culture to the employees, but they don't live by the Culture that they speak about.
First Niagara Financial Group
Project Manager, Vice President, PMP certified (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 17, 2014
First Niagara has afforded me the opportunity to learn a new industry and connect with a whole new network of individuals in the financial services industry.

The continued success of First Niagara and its employees only strengthens and helps Buffalo and its surrounding areas grow in the financial industry.
decent place to work. concern re: organizational structure
Senior Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTFebruary 24, 2015
decent place to work. concern re: organizational structure. the bank needs to improve upon its technology so that it can better service their customers.
worst company to work for
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Catskill, NYMarch 22, 2012
office morale is always low, people have a false sense of self-importance, the managers didn't even know the difference between race and religion (one of the branch managers told me that 'Jewish' is a race). The bank made us 'sell' financial products to anyone who walked in the door even if that customer didn't understand the package or didn't even need it.
Pros
banker's hours still apply to this organization
Cons
sitting down all day.

2.8