First Niagara Employee Reviews

relaxed and family oriented
temporary employee (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NY 14094December 14, 2016
they understood life happened and actually cared about the people working for them. I had to suddenly travel to NC and they made sure i was okay and let me know that they understood especially since i wasn't sure how long i would be gone. going into work was something i looked forward too and it made things easier to deal with especially when you have customers screaming at you and blaming you for what happened
Banker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 23, 2016
The most valuable lesson from this employer was the great experience I acquired, management does not care for the employees and the environment is very competitive creating conflict amongst employees.
First Niagara
CCR (Former Employee) –  PittsburghJuly 14, 2016
· Analyze consumer and business financials, and help them build financial plans/financial budgets, while implementing First Niagara products (Savings, Checking, Credit, Loans, Investments, Money Markets), that will help them achieve their short and long term financial goals.
· Extensive understanding of banking laws, compliance and guidelines.
Work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Batavia, NYJune 6, 2016
Okay place to work, terrible benefits and terrible communication with the Key Bank conversion. News receives information before we do.
productive and fun workplace
Credit Card Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Lockport, NYApril 28, 2016
great company to work for, and the benefits are amazing. I enjoy helping people and learning new skills and being able to advance in a workplace.
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 14, 2015
Great place to work and have as an internship throughout the course of a semester. The people who worked there were always willing to help out in any way that they could.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Part Time
First Niagara
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lockport, NYDecember 8, 2015
Great place to work! Great culture and advancement opportunities. Voted # 1 in the northeast by Money Magazine. Still baffled as to why it is being sold to Key Bank.

I hope the people and the culture are as great when we merge with Key Bank.
Highly accommodating workplace.
Teller (Current Employee) –  WNYNovember 21, 2015
Great employees, great supervisors, all very welcoming staff members, willing to help or answer any and all questions. Individual development was stressed more than meeting numbers.
I loved it
Full Time Teller (Former Employee) –  East Longmeadow, MANovember 6, 2015
I absolutely loved working for first Niagara. The only reason I left is when I was pregnant I got put on bed rest and I decided to be a stay at home mom after. I would love to work for them again!
good company to work for
teller (Former Employee) –  Attica, NYSeptember 24, 2015
the company was good to work for. they had great benefits and I worked with some great people. they put a lot of pressure on the teller line at the branches, the goals for small branches were crazy sometimes but not an overall bad place to work.
Pros
meeting the customers
Cons
not being customer oriented

Want to know more about First Niagara?

Ask a question
they use temp agencies and hire once a month
csr-call center (Former Employee) –  lockport, nySeptember 23, 2015
basically every month they hire and train 20 to cover vacations for their real staff, then they keep like 2-then the cycle repeats
Pros
decent pay
Cons
you will get fired
Solution Architect
Lead. IIB Developer/SOA Integration (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 22, 2015
Supportive management. Friendly environment. Learned lot Solution Architect skills.
Extensive worked in implementing Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) services by using SOAP nodes.
do not care about employees
Senior Teller (Former Employee) –  California, PAJune 25, 2015
not employee oriented, never have enough staff, doesn't pay well, keep eliminating jobs in the branches and then the ones left behind end up doing the job of about 3 or 4 people, meanwhile have no tolerance for error. The best part of the job are the customers.
Pros
banking hours, no weekends and Monday holidays
Cons
understaffing
Great place to work for the right individual.
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Latham, NYMarch 31, 2015
I didn't mind my time at FN. If you enjoy working with people, there's plenty of room for advancement. There can be a steep learning curve for those who are unfamiliar with the banking industry, but if your branch has good management, that can be mitigated.
Pros
Bank hours are great, Great relationships with co-workers and customers. Very customer-service oriented.
Cons
Benefit package is expensive and sub-par, Learning curve for banking
Run!!!
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  CTMarch 26, 2015
This job has been a nightmare from the day I got there. Most branches are running on skeleton crews which means you have to wear multiple hats and not get paid for them, some days I don't even take a lunch break in order to finish my work on time. We have high sales goals that even if you meet them or exceed them they are still hounding you for more. Your job and your title are consistently being threatened, I have never felt safe in my position; any day can be your last. Management is MIA, "looking for business", while the employees are left to run a branch with 2 people. Every year there is a huge layoff and demotion of the survivors, they also usually threaten to decrease your salary. This job has made me suffer mentally, physically. I don't sleep some days I don't eat I have terrible anxiety and depression. For the sake of your family and friends, RUN.
Pros
I can't think of one
Cons
no job security, threatening upper management
Sos
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE / TELLER (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAMarch 2, 2015
this company is slowly going down the tubes I left before the 40,000 got cut very unrealistic goals and numbers to meet there is no job advancement if your a CCR they make you a teller just so they can say you don't hit your numbers and fire you i have seen this happen a lot and the managers don't do anything but yell at you and make you do there work
Pros
Cons
you will get fired
Ship is going down
Vice President, Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Eastern NYFebruary 18, 2015
I was in the bank for only a few months. I was brought in and took a branch which had not produced for a year and a half start producing. Always getting compliments on the work I did then out of nowhere I was laid off. New DM was looking out for people who worked for him in the past and made sure hew was surrounded by them again.
Pros
Time off, No stress until I was laid off
Cons
Upper Management. from CEO to the District Managers

Comment – March 18, 2015

I agree, upper management has no idea what is going on of how to keep moral up.

Fnfg
Senior Teller/ Assistant Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYDecember 16, 2014
This is a mid-sized company reshaping its future goals from investment/capital to consumer driven profits. It was not the proper place for me as I was located in an area away from the Operations center and Risk Management locations. When the request was for relocation and better job placement, I met many obstacles. If you are not from Niagara/Buffalo area, you might as well not apply for anything more than a CCR.
Pros
Cons
Expensive Benefits, Poor Compensation, Poor Job Placement, Managed by former HSBC folk and there's a reason they aren't a mainland bank anymore.
Watch your back
Teller (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 18, 2014
i met some amazing people who will be lifelong friends.
Management is a nightmare. The only way to get ahead is to lie, cheat and steal. If you do things the right way you'll never get anywhere. It also helps to wear provocative clothing.
Pros
Benefits were good
Cons
Management is terrible
High Turnover
Part Time Teller (Former Employee) –  Willington, CTNovember 11, 2014
I worked at a small branch and it didnt help me advance in the banking industry. Due to high turnover of employees it was very difficult to leave and or take time off. Good management is key to working at this bank to help you grow and promote you! I did not have that!
Pros
banking hours
Cons
poor management