First Place Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Learned, Supportive Supervisors,
Branch Manager Banking (Former Employee) –  Canfield, OHFebruary 25, 2016
This Bank was sold, no longer exists. Great workplace, Team
effort, employees were the best. Enjoyable working with public.
Very close knit office
Senior Loan Closer (Former Employee) –  Neptune Beach, FLSeptember 30, 2014
Enjoyed the drive to work, , prepared loan documents , walked on the beach at lunch time with a co-worker. Nothing hard about my job .
Pros
near the beach
Cons
lack of work due market
Strong Community Bank with intense focus on sales and service culture.
AVP Corporate Recruiting Officer (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHFebruary 6, 2014
Prior to being acquired by Talmer Bancorp, First Place Bank was the leader in Community Banking in our footprint. We had a strong Senior Team with a focus on employees. Our corporate core values were part of our everyday. "RITE STUFF" - Respect, Integrity, Trust, Empathy, Service, Teamwork, Unique, Focus, FUN! We were very involved in our communities via strong partipation with organizations/events such as the United Way, the United Way Day of Caring, Relay for Life, Panerathon to name a few. Our employees were involved, happy, customer service oriented and recognized by management via many avenues to include our Formal and Inforrmal Recognition Programs, Annual Sales and Service BASH and in the normal day to day work environment.
Better Opportunities
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ravenna, OHJanuary 22, 2014
A typical day at work usually includes finding a task to do. This bank is undergoing a conversion with another bank, so typically waiting on customers is rare. They basically are having us go through files all day pulling old stuff and shredding it. Usually the upper management is sitting in an office with the door closed gossiping, or not even there at all. Its hard finding someone to help you when you have an issue. Most days customers come in upset, do to all the changes. Its hard seeing good people upset especially when there used to one thing then after 20 years they have to obied by another. I would say the hardest part of my job is finding a way to convince myself that i believe in this company and what it stands for. Going on 5 years with First Place Bank, and i want to believe it will turn back into the company i once was proud of working for, thats why i am still there even after all the changes.
Pros
certain employees/customers get you through your days
Cons
cutting hours, not receiving time & half anymore on weekends, no pay increases in 3 years or so
supportive family environment
Banking Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHJanuary 17, 2014
First Place Bank was a very comfortable, friendly and goal orientented environment. Job advanvcement was achievable with training and support of staff and management. It was a company that provided good, sound products to the public and always provided excellent customer service. We always took pride in that.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
changes in regulations caused the back to be bought by a non local bank
Great company with a great team.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Boardman, OHJanuary 8, 2014
First Place Bank is a great company that has a lot of awesome hard working people that are always there to help. There is always room to advance and everyone is willing to teach you new things. The hardest part of the job would be understanding exactly what the customers need to have done. However, when you are able to fix the customers problems and have them leave happy then you know you did your jo right and that is truly enjoyable.
Pros
everything about the company.
Cons
each branch is a little different.
Loan Process
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Ravenna,OhDecember 19, 2013
Went through the loans and put them in the computer.
Huds,and other paperwork in the file.
Wonderful staff, flexible management.
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warren, OHNovember 22, 2013
Working at First Place has been a rewarding and educational experience. Management is flexible and directive. A good experience working here!
Great work enviroment.
Jr. Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Neptune Beach, FLNovember 19, 2013
By far the best place I have ever worked! As an employee we were encouraged to perform our best, concerns and complaints regarding operations were heard. Edward Mowat is the best boss to work for. Working for First Place Bank, now EMM Mortgage Loans, was a very educational experience. I learned to fully dissect my work duties, in doing so, I never found myself in a position that I had to stop working because of a system error. I exceeded all expectations put on me by my employer and left this position with a positive exit.
Pros
encouraging work enviroment.
Cons
bussiness slowed down.
Laid back envirnoment
Senior Electronic Funds Transfer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHSeptember 19, 2013
Enjoyed working with many differnet people. Was a friendly environment to work in
changing environment
Regional Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHSeptember 2, 2013
First Place Bank was bought by another financial institution after I resigned. I have no experience with the new management
Pros
close to home
Cons
too much travel
Poor Management
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  ClevelandAugust 27, 2013
Management has been severely lacking for several years. With a new company taking over it has only been made worse. Key players are making poor decisions and not for the benefit of customers.
Pros
it is a job
Cons
do not care about customers
Sound Bank with Sound Banking Principles
Senior Credit Risk Officer (Current Employee) –  Boardman, OhioAugust 21, 2013
Sound Bank with Sound Banking Principles
Great place to work.
Loss Mitigation Negotiator (Current Employee) –  Ravenna, OhioJuly 13, 2013
I worked with our borrowers who had difficulty making their mortgage payments in determining what their best option would be based on their situation. Management allowed you to do what needed to be done. I learned several skills including how to deal with government processes (Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac), vendor software, reimbursement requests, and monthly reporting. My co-workers were helpful in trying to reach goals in all positions. The best part of this job was that management understood that their employees had lives outside of the bank and allowed them time if needed to deal with any issues that came up. Unfortunately, the bank was sold and my position is being eliminated.
Pros
lenient on time
Cons
commute, computer system
Train, coach and oversee staff of 12 employees (Current Employee) –  Boardman, OhioMay 29, 2013
Company has a caring attitude toward it's employee. IT systems have been lacking and management was lacking in their oversight. After the purchase by another institution these issues are changing rapidly for the better.
Pros
nice sized institution
Cons
bank was purchased and is now in transition
nice people to work with
Day and Night Batch Operator (Current Employee) –  Warren, OHApril 23, 2013
co workers are great!
management is wonderful!
The hardest part is I will be losing my job in July 2013.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to work from home in the evenings.
Pros
establish friendships
Cons
losing job in july 2013
Community Bank
Credit Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OhioDecember 27, 2012
Community bank with some inefficiencies. Overall a good place if you are in mortgage business.
Community Bank serving the needs of fellow citizens
Executive Vice President, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 26, 2012
Provides great customer service to a population often over-looked and/or under-served by larger banks.
Excellent Job
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Cleveland Heights,OHJuly 5, 2012
Community bank, very personal with your customer,
Typical dat at work, open/close accounts, balance vault/atm, customer service, answer phones, count cash, etc

Comment – July 12, 2012

HAVE APPLIED FOR THE SECONDARY MARKETING POSITION SEVERAL TIMES.......NO RESPONSE?????? WITH 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN INDUSTRY?

Worked in Wholesale Loan Division
Suspension Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ravenna, OHMarch 4, 2012
I worked in the Wholesale Loan Division with investors who purchased bulk conventional and governmental loans.
Pros
great rapport with fellow employees.
Cons
temporary position with no benefits.