First Presbyterian Church Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful work environment
Assistant Choral Director (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Management was good along with the way we were treated. My coworkers were wonderful. Te most challenging part of my job was keeping up with the fast pace, but I managed to do so. I loved meeting all the new people and being able to provide good service o them.
Pleasure to work for
Administrative Assistant to Pastor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 22, 2014
I worked for this church for just over a year as an assistant to the Pastor. I enjoyed working along side of him with church members and with their Board of Sessions. I took care of all of the Sunday attendance, typed all of the sermons and keep up-to-date minutes of the Session's meetings. My co-workers were amazing to work with. I really cannot say anything that was hard about this job other than at times I really did not have enough to do! I loved meeting all of the members.
Pros
people
Great Place to work
Director of Publications (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityApril 9, 2015
This job was a perfect fit for me. The staff was a creative group where I thrived. The congregations was incredible. The work was very satisfying.
Pros
Worked my own hours as it was a part-time job
Inspirational
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAMay 5, 2014
My days are spent answering the phone, taking care of the needs of those who come into the church, relaying needed information to the pastor and/or congregation. I also prepare weekly bulletins, monthly newsletter and do data input as needed. Take care of the calendar and keep everyone posted to upcoming needs/events. I work alone for the most part, except for working with the treasurer to balance the weekly finances.
The hardest part of my job is not being able to assist everyone who walks in looking for help. It is very tough at times emotionally.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to see folk get assistance when needed and knowing that sometimes all it takes is for you to smile and you can turn someone's thoughts around.
Being a supervisor
House Keeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 6, 2014
I like my job, i like the fact i get to be hands on with my crew and with the public. i love doing floor project, to see a floor that hasnt been taken care of in 29 yrs. and then the final finish. Its very exciting to know you was the one who made that floor look so pretty. the hardest part of my job is all 3 of my employees are 20 to 30 years older then myself and for so long they have not had a supervisor in their department, so for me to come in ready to work and stay on schedule and get the job done correctly bothers them to the point of being disrespectful. i was actually told when i started that i have to treat these grown adult like children. i dont like statement but over the past year i relized what i was being told was very true
Pros
benefits, set schedule, stability
Cons
not having a good support team as far a management
It can't get any better than being able to work for your church. Seeing the light in every child's eye is all the satisfaction I will ever need.
Youth Director (Current Employee) –  Spruce Pine, NCOctober 8, 2013
I work throughout the week assisting the pastor in coming up with different ideas for activities for both youth groups. Though they meet at separate times, there is always an activity in the mix. I work with kids who are 6 months to kids who are of high school age. The hardest part is keeping up with everyone and knowing where they are at all times. I love working with children. To see the joy and light in their eyes when they walk through the doors of the church is the only satisfaction I need to know I am doing my job the right way.
I throughly enjoyed my position with First Presbyterian Church and made many life friends. I enjoyed the interaction with people on a daily basis.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morrison, ILAugust 5, 2013
Each day brought about different activities/work for me to do which always made it exciting. I learned alot about how the church functions and was able to work with three wonderful Pastors during my time there. The most difficult task there was most people did not understand how important organization was and that they needed to work together to get good results. I would say that the most enjoyable part of my job was the friendships I made and the people I came across on a daily basis.
Pros
great work schedule.
Cons
no health insurance or benefits
Worst place I ever worked
Part-time Youth Ministry Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 27, 2012
Within the not even 1st year I worked there after just moving to WS f as well as joining the church they eliminated the jobs of almost everyone on staff including staff who had given 20 years and the minister who had given 18 years of his and his family's life. It was beyond devastating to all and the way they let you go was awful, unprofessional with no thought of anyone but themselves (session). The whole deal made me lose faith in how a church is run, God to an extent. It took 2 years to even think of finding another church.
Pros
a few friends
Cons
too many to list
Enjoyable company to work for
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILDecember 2, 2012
I enjoyed working for the church. But, due to low attendance and contributions the church made cuts to the staff. They will be closing the doors to the church at the beginning at 2013. The church has been in Rockford for 150 years. Working for the church you had to be considerate of members needs and concerns while keeping things private. The only draw back that I can say of this job was the funerals. You become close to the congregation and when one of the dies, the whole church morns.
always busy
Youth Director (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 31, 2013
This job was rewarding at times and also very draining. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to develop the relationships with the youth and also the adults that i worked with both in the office and the parents, and volunteers. The hardest part of the job was being on call 24 hours 7 days a week and never knowing when i was going to get a call at 2 am. I learned that i need to spend more quality time with my family and that a team often works better than going alone. Much of my time in the office was on research, making phone calls, answering messages, setting up the next event, and counselling both youth and parents.
Pros
lots of support from people in the chruch
Cons
very long work weeks where i would not see my family.
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAOctober 25, 2012
I worked for a wonderful manager, learned how enjoyable work can be based on the people you work with and the choices you make.

Management was great, my co-workers were great, and I miss working there.

The hardest part of this job was having to leave it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with kids, co-workers, and being in such a wonderful environment.
Pros
free lunches, free field trips, great people everywhere, long breaks.
Cons
wages
Good company to work for
Full Charge Bookkeeper, Director's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 9, 2012
First Church is a good company to work for with good co workers. A typical day at work consists of processing payables and receivables. Making journal entries and reclass entries and much more. My co workers are nice and willing to work as a team. My boss is great and very understanding. I learn something everyday and never thought churches had such operation.
Great experience-had many opportunties for service and growth
Pastor (Former Employee) –  Madison, SDAugust 9, 2013
Was given a lot of opportunities to grow, share and serve. Lead worship, preach and administer the sacraments. Did many home, hospital, and nursing home visits. Grateful to the Presbytery of South Dakota for all the opportunties that they gave me. Tried to start a campus ministry at Dakota State University
Pros
many opportunties for service
Cons
(very) harsh winters!!
Balance of work and life through relationships.
Pastor (Current Employee) –  Troy, MINovember 25, 2013
The most enjoyable part of my job is that each day is unique. There are new clients to serve, members who I have on-going work with, and ways to volunteer in the community that keep us interacting with a changing world. The most difficult part of the job is trying to change things for the future life of the church. Not everyone appreciates or sees the need for changes.

A typical day at work includes quite a bit of managing people, volunteers, coordinating events, sharing hospitality, listening, counseling and planning for each and every Sunday!

I have learned how to lead while still keeping traditions alive. I have learned to set aside differences and look for common ground.
Pros
lots of new people to meet.
Cons
change is hard, and sometimes people will try to upend those changes.
worked with some fine people
main building (Former Employee) –  Director of Christian EducationNovember 6, 2011
This was part-time work I took while taking care of my mother when she was dealing with cancer. The work itself afforded me flexibility in hours, which I appreciated. I was also given space and time to create new programs for all ages--e.g., in areas of church drama, curriculum selection, and youth ministry.
Pros
great support from administrative staff
Cons
church did not expand job to full-time
Wonderful people to work with in a relaxing environment
Website Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newton, NCMay 14, 2013
It was only w temporary position to build a new website but it was a wonderful time and I learned quite a bit myself. I learned new ways to build a website and I had a great time doing it. I worked on a committee of which I was the head and it was fun to hear ideas from other people. I also trained the church secretary to keep the website up to date.
supportive family environment
Office Manager/ Minister's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valdosta GADecember 5, 2011
First Presbyterian Church is a friendly and supportive place to work. Flexable scheduling with consideration to personal and family wellness. Uplifting environment.
Pros
excellent environment, support of family and personal values, excellent job security and friendly, complassionate staff.
Cons
monitary compensation and benifits
Productive and enjoyable surroundings
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, MOMay 29, 2014
Pastor and me during the day, I checked daily email and answered them, answered phone, worked on weekly bulletins, payment requisitions, and monthly calendars and newsletters. I learned prioritizing and multi-tasking. The hardest part, which really wasn't that hard was the deadline for the weekly bulletins.
Awesome Staff
Director of Christian Education (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIJune 12, 2014
There is no such thing as a typical day when you work at a church. There is always something new popping up because you're working with people and being with them at all different stages in their lives. Additionally, there are always new projects at different times in the year. This is a big part of why I loved my job so much. It was always stimulating and I always learned something new. I got to work with children ages 0-18, and with young adults at the church, plus with parents and youth volunteers. I recruited, trained and coordinated volunteers, and addressed needs and concerns of parents. The most difficult part of the job was coordinating the schedules of our high-school aged youth and the most enjoyable part of the job was participation in worship planning and working with an amazing staff.
Pros
wonderful congregational support
Cons
odd hours
Relaxed and tranquil working environment
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAAugust 27, 2014
A typical day at the job required opening the building, entering my office, turning on all office equipment, checking emails and completing my daily tasks. I learned a lot about using MS Publisher. I also learned about conducting post funeral assistance for families. I was directly managed by the pastor of the church. Most days I worked in the office alone. There were only two other co-workers that included a custodian and the music director. The hardest part of the job was telling the homeless people or familes in need of assistance the long process to received help from our establishment. The most enjoyable part was working alone and also being allowed to bring my newborn daughter to work with me.
Pros
working alone, my own office, able to make decisions on my own without approval
Cons
no health or dental benefits, no direct deposit option, long travel to work

4.4