First Solar, Inc. Employee Reviews

Theory of Constraints Turned Cost Focus Ideology
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHNovember 16, 2016
First Solar has refocused to meet the needs of the ever-changing solar market. The role is challenging and requires some global travel, a lot of communication - both internally and external and is a 24/7 career.

First Solar's work culture is reminisce of a start-up but has shifted focus on Cost to remain competitive. Often, it seems like the C-level management is out of touch with operations & middle management. However, middle management tends to be in touch and attempts to address the concerns of their direct reports. More executive guidance would go a long way.

As far as work culture, it is common for 80% of the office staff to wear jeans on any given day. It is also common for salary workers to have conference calls outside of standard working hours.
Pros
Cafeteria Options, Stock Purchase Program, Decent Benefits, Opportunity for Merit Bonuses
Cons
Long Hours, Not enough Direction
Fats-paced, fun work environment
Global Supplier Quality & Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHDecember 1, 2016
Typical day was that there was no "typical" day. Favorite saying in our group was "never a dull moment!"

Added to my quality professional skill set in deeper supplier relations and ISO-9000 standards and auditing supplier operations against these standards. I was also given opportunities to engage with supplier management on topics such as performance, product development and continuous improvement initiatives.

The workforce at the facility I worked consisted of many talented operations personnel, engineers and scientists.
Pros
Fast-paced, exciting environment, work associates, health benefits
Cons
Job security
Was a good work experience
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHFebruary 6, 2017
Liked the job and the environment for a factory. Was happy with my pay and my hours. Management was alright, definitely a difference in HR and rest of facility. The cafeteria is cheap and decent, which is a saving grace since most factory employees cannot leave the campus on breaks.
Pros
Hours, pay, benefits
Cons
job security and advancement
Excellent place to work, great teams
Maintenance Administrator (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHNovember 23, 2016
Fast-paced, challenging environment. Gained not only valuable personal skills but significant interpersonal skills. Management encouraged full engagement. The hardest part of the job was at times keeping up with the rate of change. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great group of people.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
occassional long hours
Great Company
Full-Time General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Butler, GADecember 9, 2016
I met like 3 different races that I literally have never been around before in vast numbers. I worked with Bulgarians, Mexicans, and Native Indians, which were great groups of people overall. I learned a lot about the solar world of employment. I learned how to install several different parts of the solar panel and the panel itself. I learned how to drill, impact, torque, do inventory check out and in procedures. I calibrated the torque tools before each co-worker used them. I learned how to do QC/QA work...which was quality assurance checks and quality control checks behind my co-workers before the stamp of approval for inspection was flagged on the ready array work.
Pros
Very good salary that can help you advance in your financial state of being fast.
Cons
Worked a lot of hours...hardly enjoyed family.
Safety is number 1 at First Solar
Wastewater Operator (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHFebruary 2, 2017
The management and all the people I worked with were great. Good work life balance. Daily duties included operating the waste water treatment system and lab analysis.
Pros
to many to list.
Cons
got laid off due to restructring
An excellent facility to learn
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHNovember 22, 2016
Excellent facility that offers great advancement in a driven atmosphere. Many positions available for all trades qualifications
Pros
Full cafe for lunches. Informative meetings
Cons
management in some areas
Great place to work for
Manufacturing Engineer Technician II (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 16, 2017
Enjoyed my time and opportunity with First Solar. Management and HR are very interactive with the employees. Great insurance and compensation.
Fast-paced, high-pressure environment. Construction Work/Solar.
Project Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Antelope Valley, CAAugust 31, 2016
First Solar will most certainly provide a person with marketable skill-sets if willing to learn. Many moving parts in this working environment. I always take the positive experiences in any culture-so I've gained a wealth of experience.
Pros
Exposure to diverse work experiences
Cons
Challenging to gain recogintion and career promotion
Very good starting conditions for people just out of school
Development Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHSeptember 8, 2016
The work culture is very young and laid-back at First Solar. They were also very flexible by letting me take classes during work hours. For engineers just out of school, the starting pay is not stellar but it pays the bills and there are opportunities for advancement.
Good Benefits a lot to handle
Coater Technician (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHSeptember 15, 2016
This job is great for leaning a lot of new things in the mechanics area of the factory and gaining computer experience. The benefits of this place are great, insurance, pay, and 401K. Poor management at times, eyes always on you waiting for you to mess up so they have a reason to let you go.
Pros
Great pay and Benefits
Cons
Hostile work environment
Productive and positive working environment
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Rossford, OHNovember 3, 2016
My typical day at work is troubleshooting issues with equipment, such as, robots, conveyors, metalizer and other tools. I work with a strong group of employees who are enjoyable to work with. The most enjoyable part of my job is troubleshooting and getting the tool up and running in an efficient amount of time.
Pros
Supportive management and work environment
Great place to work, but no job security
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 14, 2017
First Solar is a great place to work, if you appreciate a fast pace work environment. Unfortunately, they are known for layoffs, so job security is minimal.
Pros
Surrounded by great talent
Cons
Large, company wide layoffs happen every few years.
They used to take care of their employees.
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHNovember 30, 2016
I just recently been laid off from this company that I worked for, for 11 years. It didn't matter how long or how experienced you were on your job. The selection process was a joke!!
Pros
Good pay and health care benefits.
Cons
Felt like a number, not a person.
Fantastic work environment and great people.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 24, 2017
Worked 12 hour shifts with great people. Management was fair and helped when it was needed. The hardest part of the job was standing on my feet for 12 hours and the most enjoyable was the environment in the factory. 73* all year round and very clean.
It was a great learning experience and management was great.
Project Site Admin (Former Employee) –  Fort Stockton, TXFebruary 5, 2017
I enjoyed learning and the patience management takes traininging new employees. This knowledge is useful for any other solar company we God work with.
Pros
Experience and learning
Cons
It was a short term job due to layoff
Excellent Company to Work For
Superintendent/Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Various Job SitesNovember 1, 2016
On-Site construction management team was great. We were a tight work family and great construction team. Safety was the number one priority and at the end of the day, everyone had the same goal; which was to build a solar plant in the safest way possible on time and within budget.
Great company to work for
Development Engineering Tecnician (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 9, 2017
Great company to work with, lots of opportunities for advancement and a welcoming workplace. There were learning experiences everywhere and I was able to improve skills and get valuable experience.
A Great place to work
MANUFACTURE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHFebruary 7, 2017
The days are long but, all in all it is a great place to work. Plenty of room for advancement One of the best manufacturing job I have personally held.
Pros
cafeteria
Cons
long days
fun
Coater Operator (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 11, 2017
it was a 12 hour shift swing
management there were to many of them running around but very safe environment to work in they had a nice café to eat lunch or buy lunch there was a little over priced tho I would bring my lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Solar, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2