First Step Employee Reviews

Long Hours and Very Little Pay
Direct Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARDecember 12, 2017
I loved getting to know all of our consumers, their families and getting to help them. I enjoyed most of the people I worked with. However, I was on-call 24/7-365, so when my phone rang I had to drop everything right then (which meant I missed parts of holiday get togethers, had to walk out on family dinners, missed out on my kids ball games and more). My pay was no where near enough for all of the work I had to do (I didn't get paid for being on-call either). I had to give up some holidays to complete my work because along with office work I also had to travel many miles every month to see all of my consumers. And I didn't feel appreciated by upper management.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Little pay, not enough time off, Stressful
productive place
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, AROctober 8, 2017
i help consumers work on their independent living goals,self goals,communication ,medication skills, money management,non profit organization providing service for adult and children with special needs the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing their smiling faces when they accomplish something,the hardest part of the job is you will have bad days
Pros
learning new things
Cons
need more money
Not the greatest place to work
Developmental Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARSeptember 24, 2017
The job is hard and thankless. No time off to relax and recover. Did not like some of the ethics of the company. They are all about the money and put too many kids in the classrooms. Employees are overworked and it is a revolving door.
Great learning place for Adults and children with disabilities and delays
DT INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARSeptember 12, 2017
Practiced goals/filled out paperwork on clients
Assist in toileting and eating
interacting with clients
communicating with parents and employees
activities and therapy's
Pros
free 30 min lunch break
Cons
short breaks, limited holidays, pay rate, healthcare rate, management
Dont like thier pace
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAAugust 26, 2017
They are rough on workers they rush a 4 man job on one worker then the percentage you make from main job is unacceptable I am looking for a nice smooth ride
Unsupportive of Staff
Children's Survivor Advocate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MIAugust 16, 2017
Although I loved my job, there is very poor and unorganized management. They lack empathy and understanding for their employees. You better always be able to be on 100% without any flaws.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
no empathy for employees
no raises, good work, friendly co-workers
Auto Auction driver at Manheim (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2017
O.K. good working conditions but low pay, temp job no advancement, nice atmosphere kind co-workers and thoughtful supervisors, However, you are not required to work regularly and can work when you can.
Assisting young teenage girls
Facilitator/Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 24, 2017
Working at First Step 4 consisted of being a role model and disciplinarian for young teenage girls, who were going through troubles in their life. Most of the girls were homeless, or had behavioral issues preventing them from having a normal life in the outside world. Some of the girls required daily meds that were dispensed by myself as well as other staff members, on a set and timed schedule. I was responsible for keeping the youth on a daily schedule, consisting of eating on time, having recreational time, and counseling sessions. The girls were rewarded for good behavior by allowing them to get passes to travel to their home on the weekend, or even going to their favorite places, restaurants, or shopping areas, etc. I learned to have patience, and understand that every girl and situation had to be handled differently. The hardest part of working at First Step 4, was having to be the disciplinarian and having to be very stern with the girls, but yet making them feel like they can talk to me and trust me. The most enjoyable part about working at First Step 4, was being that positive light and voice in those young girls life. They needed some positivity and love from a positive and open minded person.
Pros
Being a positive voice
Cons
The girls being defiant, and having to handle a negative situation.
Fun work place
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJuly 7, 2017
Like it fun place to work like the people easy to work at like the supervisor would like to keep working there don't know what else to say about the place
Sucked
Ware House Assiocate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2017
Was under an temp agency and they provided transportation but make us late to go feom Atlanta to Roswell.
Sometime we get sent home and am not aware to be jobless again. No communication..
Pros
Cons
Not a secure job
not much work
receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJanuary 3, 2017
A typical day at work was answering phones and entering clients information into the database. clean work area answer client questions when needed. Handle money which includes in making change and or putting money into a safe to save for clients. Printing and faxing paperwork when needed light janitorial work as well .I learned to multi task effectively and faster pace. The hardest part about job was to not have feelings when someone is down and out have compassion but dont get involved in personal affairs. The enjoyable part is helping others when needed
Pros
free lunch
Non-profit organization
Legal Advocate (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXNovember 2, 2016
As a Legal Advocate I help our survivors of domestic violence with any legal matter they may need. I help them find the resources to help them move forward from a traumatic experience. I accompany my client to court if needed.
Pros
I really like helping people and want to help them make a difference.
Cons
I wish domestic violence didn't exist.
Fun and exciting place to work
Developmental Treatment Instructor (Current Employee) –  Malvern, AROctober 21, 2016
First Time is obviously very family oriented, it provides great benefits for employees. The work environment is very fun, and definitely keeps you busy.
Pros
Great benefits, retirement, and life insurance
Cons
Short breaks, not paid very much
Fsg
Collector (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Center, MNAugust 11, 2016
Was a good place to work, hardest part of the job was getting consumers to stay on the phone long enough to help them with their bill
a fun environment. Great place to work
bus driver/ teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, ARJuly 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time there at first step. the staff was very friendly the building had so much energy.. I loved going to work each day!
For ever changing
Clinical Intern, CSAC-R (Current Employee) –  raleigh, ncJune 29, 2016
It was an experience as an intern. I learned in depth aspects of the intake and clinical assessment process. Everyday was a different day for counseling process.
Pros
learn and lunch every Thursday
Cons
no consistant supervision in place
First Step, Inc of Arkansas
Developmental Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARJune 13, 2016
First Step, Inc use to be a great place to work for. They have slowly taken days away and there has been no raises. They have become all about the money and not the minds of staff. The more time people work with these kids with no breaks it can be horrible to maintain composure. I hope First Step gets back to the way it once was.
Pros
There not anymore
Cons
no pay advancement for teachers, no time off and too many kids in one room!!!
First Step
Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHJune 13, 2016
First step is a great starter job, Not much room for growth. It is a family atmosphere and everyone is very worm and inviting.
Laughter and caring staff
DIRECT CARE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJune 5, 2016
Smiling faces and laughter from clients and staff. Direct Support coverage with physically challenged individuals is tedious. Overall, I enjoy the clients and staff because it feels like a family environment.
Pros
Family environment with laughter.
Cons
Salary
Certified trainer
South Couth Carolina Trainer Education (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJune 1, 2016
I developed modules for training for approval to teach child care administrators. I would only function as a contractor, not as a full-time, or part-time employee.
Pros
Turn around time for approval
Cons
Administrator inability to pay for trainings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Step. Our community is ready to answer.