First Step Employee Reviews

Unsupportive of Staff
Children's Survivor Advocate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MIAugust 16, 2017
Although I loved my job, there is very poor and unorganized management. They lack empathy and understanding for their employees. You better always be able to be on 100% without any flaws.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
no empathy for employees
no raises, good work, friendly co-workers
Auto Auction driver at Manheim (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2017
O.K. good working conditions but low pay, temp job no advancement, nice atmosphere kind co-workers and thoughtful supervisors, However, you are not required to work regularly and can work when you can.
Assisting young teenage girls
Facilitator/Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 24, 2017
Working at First Step 4 consisted of being a role model and disciplinarian for young teenage girls, who were going through troubles in their life. Most of the girls were homeless, or had behavioral issues preventing them from having a normal life in the outside world. Some of the girls required daily meds that were dispensed by myself as well as other staff members, on a set and timed schedule. I was responsible for keeping the youth on a daily schedule, consisting of eating on time, having recreational time, and counseling sessions. The girls were rewarded for good behavior by allowing them to get passes to travel to their home on the weekend, or even going to their favorite places, restaurants, or shopping areas, etc. I learned to have patience, and understand that every girl and situation had to be handled differently. The hardest part of working at First Step 4, was having to be the disciplinarian and having to be very stern with the girls, but yet making them feel like they can talk to me and trust me. The most enjoyable part about working at First Step 4, was being that positive light and voice in those young girls life. They needed some positivity and love from a positive and open minded person.
Pros
Being a positive voice
Cons
The girls being defiant, and having to handle a negative situation.
Fun work place
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJuly 7, 2017
Like it fun place to work like the people easy to work at like the supervisor would like to keep working there don't know what else to say about the place
Sucked
Ware House Assiocate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2017
Was under an temp agency and they provided transportation but make us late to go feom Atlanta to Roswell.
Sometime we get sent home and am not aware to be jobless again. No communication..
Pros
Cons
Not a secure job
not much work
receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJanuary 3, 2017
A typical day at work was answering phones and entering clients information into the database. clean work area answer client questions when needed. Handle money which includes in making change and or putting money into a safe to save for clients. Printing and faxing paperwork when needed light janitorial work as well .I learned to multi task effectively and faster pace. The hardest part about job was to not have feelings when someone is down and out have compassion but dont get involved in personal affairs. The enjoyable part is helping others when needed
Pros
free lunch
Non-profit organization
Legal Advocate (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXNovember 2, 2016
As a Legal Advocate I help our survivors of domestic violence with any legal matter they may need. I help them find the resources to help them move forward from a traumatic experience. I accompany my client to court if needed.
Pros
I really like helping people and want to help them make a difference.
Cons
I wish domestic violence didn't exist.
Fun and exciting place to work
Developmental Treatment Instructor (Current Employee) –  Malvern, AROctober 21, 2016
First Time is obviously very family oriented, it provides great benefits for employees. The work environment is very fun, and definitely keeps you busy.
Pros
Great benefits, retirement, and life insurance
Cons
Short breaks, not paid very much
Fsg
Collector (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Center, MNAugust 11, 2016
Was a good place to work, hardest part of the job was getting consumers to stay on the phone long enough to help them with their bill
a fun environment. Great place to work
bus driver/ teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, ARJuly 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time there at first step. the staff was very friendly the building had so much energy.. I loved going to work each day!
For ever changing
Clinical Intern, CSAC-R (Current Employee) –  raleigh, ncJune 29, 2016
It was an experience as an intern. I learned in depth aspects of the intake and clinical assessment process. Everyday was a different day for counseling process.
Pros
learn and lunch every Thursday
Cons
no consistant supervision in place
First Step, Inc of Arkansas
Developmental Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARJune 13, 2016
First Step, Inc use to be a great place to work for. They have slowly taken days away and there has been no raises. They have become all about the money and not the minds of staff. The more time people work with these kids with no breaks it can be horrible to maintain composure. I hope First Step gets back to the way it once was.
Pros
There not anymore
Cons
no pay advancement for teachers, no time off and too many kids in one room!!!
First Step
Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHJune 13, 2016
First step is a great starter job, Not much room for growth. It is a family atmosphere and everyone is very worm and inviting.
Laughter and caring staff
DIRECT CARE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJune 5, 2016
Smiling faces and laughter from clients and staff. Direct Support coverage with physically challenged individuals is tedious. Overall, I enjoy the clients and staff because it feels like a family environment.
Pros
Family environment with laughter.
Cons
Salary
Certified trainer
South Couth Carolina Trainer Education (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJune 1, 2016
I developed modules for training for approval to teach child care administrators. I would only function as a contractor, not as a full-time, or part-time employee.
Pros
Turn around time for approval
Cons
Administrator inability to pay for trainings
First Step
DT Sub (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARApril 4, 2016
A typical day at First Step is going in and being assigned a classroom on a first come first serve basis. As a sub you're not guaranteed hours, but most of the time they will have a place for you to go.
If you love children this is your place
Developmental Traning Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARMarch 4, 2016
The children are what makes this company. Even if you are having a tough day the smile on a child's face is rewarding in itself. The most difficult challenge about this job is the children you cannot take home to bathe or help. I have learned patience and teamwork skills.
Pros
hours
Cons
low pay, Lack of training
Professional management
Assistant Office Manager/ 3 & 4 yr old teacher (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXAugust 15, 2015
Great atmosphere. Was given the opportunity to do manager duties here. Great place you can grow and learn about the restaurant business.
an opportunity to work in substance abuse
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 18, 2015
the group work was the best part of the job. Co-therapist was kind and collaborative. Learned about substance abuse intake and assessment.
Pros
Group work
Cons
Front office work
Great experiences and family oriented
Medical Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARMay 17, 2015
Co-workers are always willing help. You're off on weekends. There are there tons of different things to learn from the job alone. Managers show empathy whenever it is needed as well as are encouraging and sensitive to their employees. Great place to work.