First Step Employee Reviews in United States

If you love children this is your place
Developmental Traning Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARMarch 4, 2016
The children are what makes this company. Even if you are having a tough day the smile on a child's face is rewarding in itself. The most difficult challenge about this job is the children you cannot take home to bathe or help. I have learned patience and teamwork skills.
Pros
hours
Cons
low pay, Lack of training
First Step
DT Sub (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARApril 4, 2016
A typical day at First Step is going in and being assigned a classroom on a first come first serve basis. As a sub you're not guaranteed hours, but most of the time they will have a place for you to go.
very organized, work friendly,teamwork,experienced,patient,and productive.
Ongoing Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vernon, NYOctober 22, 2014
Traveled almost everyday, mostly worked from home.
Work at First Step was a very friendly environment,worked well with others. Big Team work effort. Management was very organized. Loved working with the families and children. Loved my Face to Face meeting and interacting with the child.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
salary
Professional management
Assistant Office Manager/ 3 & 4 yr old teacher (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXAugust 15, 2015
Great atmosphere. Was given the opportunity to do manager duties here. Great place you can grow and learn about the restaurant business.
I enjoyed working at First Step,inc.
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARNovember 7, 2013
I left to further my education. Felt it was time to move on.
I felt the calling for the medical field. I felt i could help more people.
Pros
taking care of the kids.teaching them songs, playing games, etc.
Cons
part-time, no benefits, split shift.
Great experiences and family oriented
Medical Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARMay 17, 2015
Co-workers are always willing help. You're off on weekends. There are there tons of different things to learn from the job alone. Managers show empathy whenever it is needed as well as are encouraging and sensitive to their employees. Great place to work.
Safety and making the children enjoy the ride to and from school
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARApril 23, 2015
Picking children up from their homes and getting them safely to school. At the end of the school day, returning the children back to their homes safely. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the different personalities of the children and making the ride as enjoyable as possible.
an opportunity to work in substance abuse
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 18, 2015
the group work was the best part of the job. Co-therapist was kind and collaborative. Learned about substance abuse intake and assessment.
Pros
Group work
Cons
Front office work
Great place to work especially for the kid lover such as myself
Driver (Current Employee) –  Fordyce, AROctober 9, 2012
On a typical day at First Step you encounter something new everyday dealing with children. Even though I have the nescssary training to be a direct care worker I am not because of the job title i chose. In the mornings and evenings I am a driver in which i transport clients to and from school. And during the day hours I am a maintenance worker. Sometimes when the company is short on staff I assist also in the classrooms with the wonderful and fun loving co-workers present there. And I would say the hardest thing about my job is having to say bye to my clients each and everyday because the enjoy being around you but I love my job simply because i love children
Pros
freedom to go and come as i pleaes, free lunch, off every weekend, paid holidays
Cons
insurance not to good, pay not to good
First Step house c/o Riverside Recovery Resources
Intern/ CAS registration # 11830 (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CAFebruary 8, 2013
A typical day at First House is always exciting during the morning hours. It begins with retriving phone messages, customer service is a big part of my job. In addition to assiting my supervisor with filing, reviewing case files, and phone interventions. What I have learned is compassion, empathy, and empowerment. My co-workers are as genuinely other centered employees, but we don't look at First Step House as a job---it is our way of reaching out to the community. The hardest part of my job is going home before my task is done. In conclusion, the most enjoyable part of my job is watching people come in and transform from a catapiller to a butterfly.
Pros
free lunches, clothing articles, close to home
A non profit culture
Transitional Housing Advocate (Current Employee) –  Wayne MIFebruary 17, 2015
A typical day at First Step is never typical. You must remain very flexible to meet the clients needs. If you need constant supervision this is a great place to work.
Cons
rules constantly changing
lacks management
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mullica Hill, NJDecember 7, 2014
Great place to learn and start but lacks management. No procedures in place. Employees are not helpful. No place for growth.
Pros
close to home
Cons
no breaks
Fun and very happy place to work, with great people to work with.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJanuary 21, 2014
Typical day, reported to my office and made phone calls on behalf of my clients in which our company was their guardian in order to keep up their living. Documentation and appointments were made and attended for SSI, Medicaid, Medicare, etc. Completed evaluations and approvals in order to keep all Supportive Living Services Active for the consumers. Also made daily visits to the all clients homes to make contacts and to join in on activities. It was the greatest staff anyone could've worked with. But in the midst of it being a great job, it was a very difficult job also seeing that I was working with severely disable adults. Not to mention my youngest brother recieves in house services from the same company. So it hits home to know how much they really need help just to live. However, each and every day when they get excited as if I were Santa Clause himself, it makes me feel extremely blessed and joyful.
Pros
getting to help make a difference in someone's life who really needs it.
Cons
having to watch clients go through physical pain and illnesses.
Productive and Entertaining Workplace.
Pre-school Instructor (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARApril 29, 2012
I would get to work aroung 0730. The children would begin to arrive around 0745. The would begin their day with breakfast. Then we would go to circle time and read a book and talk about what we would do that day. I would work with my certain five children assigned to me. We would go over their skills they needed to master in this time period. The hardest part of this job was getting the children to cooperate. They were easily distracted and wanted to play, but when they mastered a skill was the best part. It made me happy that I could teach a child with disabilities something they would use everyday. My co-workers were a fun group of women to be around. We kept each other competent on our job duties. After we worked on the goals for a couple hours, we would go to recess then lunch. Nap time was after lunch. During lunch time, I did my days worth of paperwork. I documented what each child had accomplished for the day. After nap the children went home. This was between 1430 and 1530.
Pros
lunch was only two dollars, i gained sick and vacation days
Cons
one 30 minute break.
Very rewarding
Owner & Director (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TexasNovember 9, 2013
I loved working with young children, teachers and other staff members in this learning environment. I was the owner and operator for this childcare business so I had a lot of responsibility on a day to day basis.
Pros
making a difference in young people lives
Cons
some long hours
Work Life
DSP - Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJune 25, 2012
Working here is really overwhelming but it was fun. Here I meet different people with different personality where I have to adjust with them. I also meet new co-workers who are nice, friendly and willing to help each other in any situations.
Pros
free movies, driving around, meet different people
Cons
time management, new information are late to be given out
Productive and challenging at times
Child Care Instructor (Current Employee) –  Malvern, ARSeptember 3, 2014
Typical day, busy, loved children and work with a great group of people in my class.
Agency recently lost most grants, closed 2 sites and downsized.
Family Therapist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 1, 2013
Has been exceptional work environment to develop client responsive interventions.
A dedicated company that helps those in need.
Temporary (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 4, 2013
I've enjoyed working for various employers through First Step. This firm made consistent efforts to help employees
Pros
consistent work schedules
Cons
no paid leave
Full of energy ,fun enviorment
Manager (Former Employee) –  El. Cajon & Carlsbad, CAMarch 21, 2012
This was one of the best jobs i have had, it was fun fast paced and rewarding !
Pros
enjoyed working with people
Cons
store closed down

4.3