First Step Employee Reviews

First Step, Inc of Arkansas
Developmental Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARJune 13, 2016
First Step, Inc use to be a great place to work for. They have slowly taken days away and there has been no raises. They have become all about the money and not the minds of staff. The more time people work with these kids with no breaks it can be horrible to maintain composure. I hope First Step gets back to the way it once was.
Pros
There not anymore
Cons
no pay advancement for teachers, no time off and too many kids in one room!!!
not much work
receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJanuary 3, 2017
A typical day at work was answering phones and entering clients information into the database. clean work area answer client questions when needed. Handle money which includes in making change and or putting money into a safe to save for clients. Printing and faxing paperwork when needed light janitorial work as well .I learned to multi task effectively and faster pace. The hardest part about job was to not have feelings when someone is down and out have compassion but dont get involved in personal affairs. The enjoyable part is helping others when needed
Pros
free lunch
Fun and exciting place to work
Developmental Treatment Instructor (Current Employee) –  Malvern, AROctober 21, 2016
First Time is obviously very family oriented, it provides great benefits for employees. The work environment is very fun, and definitely keeps you busy.
Pros
Great benefits, retirement, and life insurance
Cons
Short breaks, not paid very much
Sucked
Ware House Assiocate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2017
Was under an temp agency and they provided transportation but make us late to go feom Atlanta to Roswell.
Sometime we get sent home and am not aware to be jobless again. No communication..
Pros
Cons
Not a secure job
Non-profit organization
Legal Advocate (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXNovember 2, 2016
As a Legal Advocate I help our survivors of domestic violence with any legal matter they may need. I help them find the resources to help them move forward from a traumatic experience. I accompany my client to court if needed.
Pros
I really like helping people and want to help them make a difference.
Cons
I wish domestic violence didn't exist.
Laughter and caring staff
DIRECT CARE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJune 5, 2016
Smiling faces and laughter from clients and staff. Direct Support coverage with physically challenged individuals is tedious. Overall, I enjoy the clients and staff because it feels like a family environment.
Pros
Family environment with laughter.
Cons
Salary
Fsg
Collector (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Center, MNAugust 11, 2016
Was a good place to work, hardest part of the job was getting consumers to stay on the phone long enough to help them with their bill
For ever changing
Clinical Intern, CSAC-R (Current Employee) –  raleigh, ncJune 29, 2016
It was an experience as an intern. I learned in depth aspects of the intake and clinical assessment process. Everyday was a different day for counseling process.
Pros
learn and lunch every Thursday
Cons
no consistant supervision in place
a fun environment. Great place to work
bus driver/ teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, ARJuly 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time there at first step. the staff was very friendly the building had so much energy.. I loved going to work each day!
First Step
Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHJune 13, 2016
First step is a great starter job, Not much room for growth. It is a family atmosphere and everyone is very worm and inviting.
Certified trainer
South Couth Carolina Trainer Education (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJune 1, 2016
I developed modules for training for approval to teach child care administrators. I would only function as a contractor, not as a full-time, or part-time employee.
Pros
Turn around time for approval
Cons
Administrator inability to pay for trainings
very organized, work friendly,teamwork,experienced,patient,and productive.
Ongoing Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vernon, NYOctober 22, 2014
Traveled almost everyday, mostly worked from home.
Work at First Step was a very friendly environment,worked well with others. Big Team work effort. Management was very organized. Loved working with the families and children. Loved my Face to Face meeting and interacting with the child.
Pros
Great Teamwork
Cons
Salary
If you love children this is your place
Developmental Traning Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARMarch 4, 2016
The children are what makes this company. Even if you are having a tough day the smile on a child's face is rewarding in itself. The most difficult challenge about this job is the children you cannot take home to bathe or help. I have learned patience and teamwork skills.
Pros
hours
Cons
low pay, Lack of training
First Step
DT Sub (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARApril 4, 2016
A typical day at First Step is going in and being assigned a classroom on a first come first serve basis. As a sub you're not guaranteed hours, but most of the time they will have a place for you to go.
Work Life
DSP - Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJune 25, 2012
Working here is really overwhelming but it was fun. Here I meet different people with different personality where I have to adjust with them. I also meet new co-workers who are nice, friendly and willing to help each other in any situations.
Pros
free movies, driving around, meet different people
Cons
time management, new information are late to be given out
Great place to work especially for the kid lover such as myself
Driver (Current Employee) –  Fordyce, AROctober 9, 2012
On a typical day at First Step you encounter something new everyday dealing with children. Even though I have the nescssary training to be a direct care worker I am not because of the job title i chose. In the mornings and evenings I am a driver in which i transport clients to and from school. And during the day hours I am a maintenance worker. Sometimes when the company is short on staff I assist also in the classrooms with the wonderful and fun loving co-workers present there. And I would say the hardest thing about my job is having to say bye to my clients each and everyday because the enjoy being around you but I love my job simply because i love children
Pros
freedom to go and come as i pleaes, free lunch, off every weekend, paid holidays
Cons
insurance not to good, pay not to good
First Step house c/o Riverside Recovery Resources
Intern/ CAS registration # 11830 (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CAFebruary 8, 2013
A typical day at First House is always exciting during the morning hours. It begins with retriving phone messages, customer service is a big part of my job. In addition to assiting my supervisor with filing, reviewing case files, and phone interventions. What I have learned is compassion, empathy, and empowerment. My co-workers are as genuinely other centered employees, but we don't look at First Step House as a job---it is our way of reaching out to the community. The hardest part of my job is going home before my task is done. In conclusion, the most enjoyable part of my job is watching people come in and transform from a catapiller to a butterfly.
Pros
free lunches, clothing articles, close to home
Very rewarding
Owner & Director (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TexasNovember 9, 2013
I loved working with young children, teachers and other staff members in this learning environment. I was the owner and operator for this childcare business so I had a lot of responsibility on a day to day basis.
Pros
Making a difference in young people lives
Cons
Some long hours
I enjoyed working at First Step,inc.
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARNovember 7, 2013
I left to further my education. Felt it was time to move on.
I felt the calling for the medical field. I felt i could help more people.
Pros
Taking care of the kids.teaching them songs, playing games, etc.
Cons
part-time, no benefits, split shift.
Productive and Entertaining Workplace.
Pre-school Instructor (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARApril 29, 2012
I would get to work aroung 0730. The children would begin to arrive around 0745. The would begin their day with breakfast. Then we would go to circle time and read a book and talk about what we would do that day. I would work with my certain five children assigned to me. We would go over their skills they needed to master in this time period. The hardest part of this job was getting the children to cooperate. They were easily distracted and wanted to play, but when they mastered a skill was the best part. It made me happy that I could teach a child with disabilities something they would use everyday. My co-workers were a fun group of women to be around. We kept each other competent on our job duties. After we worked on the goals for a couple hours, we would go to recess then lunch. Nap time was after lunch. During lunch time, I did my days worth of paperwork. I documented what each child had accomplished for the day. After nap the children went home. This was between 1430 and 1530.
Pros
lunch was only two dollars, i gained sick and vacation days
Cons
one 30 minute break.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Step. Our community is ready to answer.