First Step Employee Reviews in United States

a fun environment. Great place to work
bus driver/ teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, ARJuly 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time there at first step. the staff was very friendly the building had so much energy.. I loved going to work each day!
For ever changing
Clinical Intern, CSAC-R (Current Employee) –  raleigh, ncJune 29, 2016
It was an experience as an intern. I learned in depth aspects of the intake and clinical assessment process. Everyday was a different day for counseling process.
Pros
learn and lunch every Thursday
Cons
no consistant supervision in place
First Step, Inc of Arkansas
Developmental Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARJune 13, 2016
First Step, Inc use to be a great place to work for. They have slowly taken days away and there has been no raises. They have become all about the money and not the minds of staff. The more time people work with these kids with no breaks it can be horrible to maintain composure. I hope First Step gets back to the way it once was.
Pros
There not anymore
Cons
no pay advancement for teachers, no time off and too many kids in one room!!!
First Step
Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHJune 13, 2016
First step is a great starter job, Not much room for growth. It is a family atmosphere and everyone is very worm and inviting.
Laughter and caring staff
DIRECT CARE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJune 5, 2016
Smiling faces and laughter from clients and staff. Direct Support coverage with physically challenged individuals is tedious. Overall, I enjoy the clients and staff because it feels like a family environment.
Pros
Family environment with laughter.
Cons
Salary
Certified trainer
South Couth Carolina Trainer Education (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJune 1, 2016
I developed modules for training for approval to teach child care administrators. I would only function as a contractor, not as a full-time, or part-time employee.
Pros
Turn around time for approval
Cons
Administrator inability to pay for trainings
First Step
DT Sub (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARApril 4, 2016
A typical day at First Step is going in and being assigned a classroom on a first come first serve basis. As a sub you're not guaranteed hours, but most of the time they will have a place for you to go.
If you love children this is your place
Developmental Traning Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARMarch 4, 2016
The children are what makes this company. Even if you are having a tough day the smile on a child's face is rewarding in itself. The most difficult challenge about this job is the children you cannot take home to bathe or help. I have learned patience and teamwork skills.
Pros
hours
Cons
low pay, Lack of training
Professional management
Assistant Office Manager/ 3 & 4 yr old teacher (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXAugust 15, 2015
Great atmosphere. Was given the opportunity to do manager duties here. Great place you can grow and learn about the restaurant business.
an opportunity to work in substance abuse
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 18, 2015
the group work was the best part of the job. Co-therapist was kind and collaborative. Learned about substance abuse intake and assessment.
Pros
Group work
Cons
Front office work

Want to know more about First Step?

Ask a question
Great experiences and family oriented
Medical Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARMay 17, 2015
Co-workers are always willing help. You're off on weekends. There are there tons of different things to learn from the job alone. Managers show empathy whenever it is needed as well as are encouraging and sensitive to their employees. Great place to work.
Safety and making the children enjoy the ride to and from school
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARApril 23, 2015
Picking children up from their homes and getting them safely to school. At the end of the school day, returning the children back to their homes safely. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the different personalities of the children and making the ride as enjoyable as possible.
A non profit culture
Transitional Housing Advocate (Current Employee) –  Wayne MIFebruary 17, 2015
A typical day at First Step is never typical. You must remain very flexible to meet the clients needs. If you need constant supervision this is a great place to work.
Cons
rules constantly changing
lacks management
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mullica Hill, NJDecember 7, 2014
Great place to learn and start but lacks management. No procedures in place. Employees are not helpful. No place for growth.
Pros
close to home
Cons
no breaks
very organized, work friendly,teamwork,experienced,patient,and productive.
Ongoing Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vernon, NYOctober 22, 2014
Traveled almost everyday, mostly worked from home.
Work at First Step was a very friendly environment,worked well with others. Big Team work effort. Management was very organized. Loved working with the families and children. Loved my Face to Face meeting and interacting with the child.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
salary
Productive and challenging at times
Child Care Instructor (Current Employee) –  Malvern, ARSeptember 3, 2014
Typical day, busy, loved children and work with a great group of people in my class.
Fun and very happy place to work, with great people to work with.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJanuary 21, 2014
Typical day, reported to my office and made phone calls on behalf of my clients in which our company was their guardian in order to keep up their living. Documentation and appointments were made and attended for SSI, Medicaid, Medicare, etc. Completed evaluations and approvals in order to keep all Supportive Living Services Active for the consumers. Also made daily visits to the all clients homes to make contacts and to join in on activities. It was the greatest staff anyone could've worked with. But in the midst of it being a great job, it was a very difficult job also seeing that I was working with severely disable adults. Not to mention my youngest brother recieves in house services from the same company. So it hits home to know how much they really need help just to live. However, each and every day when they get excited as if I were Santa Clause himself, it makes me feel extremely blessed and joyful.
Pros
getting to help make a difference in someone's life who really needs it.
Cons
having to watch clients go through physical pain and illnesses.
Very rewarding
Owner & Director (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TexasNovember 9, 2013
I loved working with young children, teachers and other staff members in this learning environment. I was the owner and operator for this childcare business so I had a lot of responsibility on a day to day basis.
Pros
making a difference in young people lives
Cons
some long hours
Rewarding work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJuly 25, 2013
Rewarding work. Great coworkers. Rewards of working with clients made up for low pay.
Agency recently lost most grants, closed 2 sites and downsized.
Family Therapist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 1, 2013
Has been exceptional work environment to develop client responsive interventions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Step. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2