First Student Employee Reviews

no a good company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Severn, MDApril 21, 2017
company has bad leadership and is not loyal they have favorites and is going down hill this company my be closing there a few good workers but your checks are always messed up
It's a nice place to work , people in the office are friendly.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAApril 21, 2017
I got my CDL there , a typical day at work is pick up children in the morning take them to school safely and go back in the afternoon and pick them up at school and take them home safely . I love driving and I have a clean record since I started driving at 19 . I have worked for First Student for almost 6 years and I still have a clean record .
Its ok
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 21, 2017
It's an ok job if you don't really have any bills to pay. I just can't do this anymore. You actually have to have 2 jobs to make ends meet working here.
would love to stay, but i moved
Master Trainer Safety Coordinator DMO Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Linden, MIApril 21, 2017
I love the community i work in, it is where i grew up. i really enjoy being a trainer for First. They take pride in being "Safety first" and i enjoy installing that in new drivers. Most drivers have been there for over 15 years. That to me means it is a great place to work.
I Moved, and i need something closer. My current employment with First keeps me away from my home for 12 hr a day.
Pros
Family oriented work environment, great community, and a safe company
Cons
part time position
Not a bad place to work for part time.
Early Childhood Bus Aide (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, MOApril 20, 2017
I have made many great friends here over the years. This has been a great part time job for me while finishing my school work. New mom's find it useful because they can bring their children with them on the buses. We are also one of the only places that get to collect unemployment during the summer. All and all not a bad place to work.
Pros
Free time
Cons
No health care. 401k is not contributed to. Only part time for monitors.
It's and ok environment it has it's up and down
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  1207 greenwood Maywood IL 60153April 20, 2017
I transport kids to and from school in a 71 foot school bus , and I also take them on field trips, in a safe and timely manner. And provide a pleasant environment
Cons
No health care
provided additional training for staff and employees
Safety Coordinato/Back-up driver/Driver Trainer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 19, 2017
fast past daily routine at work, learned a lot about the transportation field. Diverse group of employees at workplace. The hardest part of the job is making it on time due to heavy traffic. The most enjoyable part of the job is some of the great memories we created at the terminal during the holidays.
Pros
job advancement, certification training
school bus driver
Monitor/Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Taftville, CT 06380April 16, 2017
flexible hours, I obtained my CDL through them, trainers were great, nice place to work, clean and friendly work environment, school schedule worked around my children's days off.
Pros
nice friendly staff
Cons
wasn't in town I lived in or where my children attended school
Driving the bus
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ILApril 12, 2017
Working at first student is a blast becaust you get to talk to the students and get to know them encourage them on any problem they may have ang give thm advice
Pros
working with the public
Cons
dealing with angry stundents
Fair wage, decent hours
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAApril 11, 2017
Paid decently for what hours I worked. Work always available. Management strict but understanding. Only complaint is split hours on shift, unless there's work to do between routes you don't get paid.
Pros
Job is fairly simple, pay is decent
Cons
Hours odd, sometimes passengers are a problem.
Not Terrible
Driver (Former Employee) –  ElyriaApril 10, 2017
If you do everything they want when they want it you will be fine. Has to be there way or no way. If you need time off, that is hard to get. Not a family orientated manager at that time.
Pros
summers off if you want
Cons
benefits suck
Fun place to work
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Gouverneur, NYApril 8, 2017
It is a very fun but hard place to work for..it is fun because you get to work with kids..it is hard to work on bus because you are limited on the things that you can do..and it can be very stressful when you have a lot of kids on there..
Good place to work..
Driver (Former Employee) –  Baldwin Park, CAApril 6, 2017
Love working with this company. Special needs kids. Busy but manage to be on time with the kids at school, and back home safe. The only problem was they only give you 30 hours and I really like the 40 hours schedule, I sold my house and move so I have to quit.
Pros
Perfect place to work.
Cons
I move ...
Ok
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 6, 2017
Job and people I work with is great, management is not good at all, very horrible manager of the shop. The company is very good. Great pay, benefits are good.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad manager
Driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 6, 2017
The job duties I had to do, was to picked up and dropped of children at school and at their bus stops. I also fueled and cleaned the vehicle. Maintained a pre trip and post trip vehicle. Kept order on the bus between students.
Fun part time job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILApril 3, 2017
First Student provided Class-B CDL training and a driving position once I obtained my CDL. Great management team but high turnover rate due to part time hours.
Pros
Best management I have ever worked for
Cons
Lack of hours
We were productive and make it a good place to work
Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  House Springs, MOApril 3, 2017
It was a great place to work but the management now just make it hard to be a good place to work no advisement for the hard worker just for the people who get into the click
Very laid back
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, PAApril 3, 2017
Very easy to work for very friendly work hours are great there really is no bad things to say about then its fast paced only cons are overtime they only allow it 2 weeks before school starts
Exciting job love to work with kids
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Merriam, KSApril 2, 2017
I love my job. If you are looking for full time employment this is not the job for you. I love driving my kids to and from school. We don't get paid for snow days or any other day the kids are out of school. The pay is great and the spilt shifts give me time to be alone without my kids lol I have no complaints.
Fun workplace.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Maywood, ILApril 2, 2017
A typical workday is always different projects. The driving training is excellent. The workplace can be noisy. Rules are the hardest part this jobs. They always changing.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Too many rules.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Student. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9