First Student Employee Reviews in United States

Good to work to
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTMay 23, 2016
I miss that place because ,it was really fun to work and to learn. One of the things I miss the most is the team work spirit.
The staff I have come to know has what I called team spirit and always ready to listen.
love drivin
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 19, 2016
Bus drivers are around kids all or most of the day, and provide the majority of their transportation. Responsibilities may include.
It,s rewarding but challenging
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 15, 2016
I really like the people I work around.The pays decent if you can get enough hours.And theirs defiantly some favoritism. I,m pretty sure i,m not one of them.the most rewarding part of the job is when the kids all get along,the worse is when the kids don't get along. The ladies that work in dispatch I give them 2 thumbs up.
Pros
Pay
Cons
hours
Great company. Great place to work
Location Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks AKMay 15, 2016
It is a pleasure to work here. Good people. Good corporate management. Beautiful state. Could not ask for anything more
Pros
Great support
Cons
Nothing big
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Harrison, MIMay 11, 2016
I enjoyed my time here. the management was great they had great trainng and room for advancement in the company. Got to see a lot place workin here
Job sucks azz
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ambler, PAMay 7, 2016
Pays sucks management sucks union sucks use them to get your CDL once you do that and serve your time apply for better jobs
Pros
Paid weekly split shifts nice co-workers
Cons
Low pay
Drove students to and from school
Driver (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 5, 2016
I drove the bus. They did give me training and paid for my CDL. Management was inept and the coworkers liked drama. The best part of the job was the solitude of driving, the worst was the management
Pros
They paid for my CDL
Cons
The management lied all the time
Bus Driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAMay 1, 2016
Be on time, make sure the bus is in good condition and get ready to safely pick up the children to drop them off at schoool. I worked with children with special needs, learned to have patience. Got along with everyone I'm very friendly. I enjoyed all my time.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Bad Communication
The best employment I've had in years:)
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Wallkill, NYMay 1, 2016
I have been an elementary school teacher & social worker in NY. This job may not compare in salary but is by far the most satisfying!
The training is top notch, the co-workers are friendly and thoughtful. Management, while extremely disorganized, does the best they can in a very difficult situation.
There is no micro management, you are given your run and you go. If you do exactly what you have been taught then you'll do great.
My day is approximately 6 hours long with a 3 hour break midday. The hardest part of the job is learning the runs in an area your not familiar with....but that too comes with time. The most enjoyable part of my job is my students & coworkers. I've made new friends in both areas.
This is my 1st year with the company and I hope to be here for many more... I LOVE MY JOB :)
Pros
Much less stress than what I'm used too
Cons
Disorganized management
enjoy working with children but not coworkers
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Collinsville, ILApril 30, 2016
too much drama between different drivers and monitors. I enjoy my job and get along great with my driver. Wish other drivers would just get with the program and get students to and from school safely.
Pros
good christmas party
Cons
too little pay for what we do
It's a Job.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 28, 2016
The hours aren't enough, the pay is OK but to advance you have to be of questionable character and value. You may hear about safety but alot of safety issues go untreated, from extremely disruptive kids, old junk buses and driving in unsafe conditions.
Pros
Driving the bus is fun, guaranteed a few hours, paid training, bonuses, some nice employees
Cons
Low pay, no hours, no support, bad equipment, management has low values
Your a warm body that drives a bus.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Northampton, PAApril 24, 2016
They will short you constantly on pay. They undercut their contract and then take it out on the employees. Most buses are old and break down. Management treats and talk to you like dirt. Lip service about how important you are. Only because if we dont show up kids dont get to school.
Pros
Split part time shift so you can get stuff done during the day
Cons
Management, Pay, working conditions
Driving Daily
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 23, 2016
Driving for 14 yrs now, love feeling outside daily.
Friendly co workers, Feeling like I provide a service that matters.
Pros
Outside daily
Cons
Childrens' attitiudes getting worse
Productive employment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Coventry, RIApril 19, 2016
Loved sharing in a great team. Meeting with students and ascertaining what their needs are and giving them the best care possible while driving.
Pros
Plenty of work (Part Time)
Cons
Medical
Works employees hard in challenging conditions
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTApril 18, 2016
After 10 years employment I find this job and its pressures not getting any easier but increasing in difficulty. The environment is still dirty and management staff are burdened by the demands of a global corporation. There is no accommodation for the individual employee.
Opportunities for advancement
Location Safety manager (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTApril 18, 2016
Good place to work. Coworkers are supportive. Management is put under lots of pressure. This is defiantly a job where things change very quickly and adaptation is key.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
can be a stressful working environment with sometimes unrealistic expectations.
Great place to work if you like drama
Driver (Current Employee) –  Parkville, MOApril 18, 2016
The management expects employees to handle everything themselves. When you ask for help, they try to give you the quickest answer that isn't goiNguyen to have them get too involved then hold you accountable when it backfires. There are too many cliques and if you are not in the one who brown noses managemeny, you are considered lower than they are and punished for it. You can make great money.... if you are in the right area.... but the drama that happens is out of control. Management watches as drivers fight each other and cuss each other out. Then they congratulate the person on the weekend they handles it, if they like them.

The kids and parents are great as long as you take care of their kids properly and keep communicating.
Pros
Kids. Parents.
Cons
Management. Management. Management.
basically most people professional some not so management was borderline
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 13, 2016
Was not satisfied with benefits, management was unprofessional at time like a peyton place management favored certain employees over others would not ask to be reemployed ever !!!!
Great place to work with benefits
Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2016
A fun and rewarding safe environment team work very effective safety is the most important part of the job requirements along with excellent customer service.
Pros
Effective brakes
Fun place to work
School Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIApril 8, 2016
interacting with the kids on the bus is the best experience , you build a relationship of trust and safety with most of them and they began to respect you and look at you like a great person.
Cons
early morning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Student. Our community is ready to answer.