First Student

First Student Employee Reviews

friendly enviornment
driver (Current Employee), south hollandMarch 18, 2015
Working at first student is a very faced paced but productive work experience day by day. They are a fun loving group of people from drivers to trainers.
Fun
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Wasilla, AKMarch 17, 2015
It was a very good place the work. Five Guys is a fairly new company. It was very fun to grow with them. The owner had a very interesting way of operating a company.
easy going and great hours
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Batavia, ILMarch 17, 2015
Pros: hours were awsome
Cons: They lost their contracts and shut donw that branch
for a basic company to fill in time while looking for work or if your retired this was the place to be. people were great, training easy and was union.
Fun and demanding
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Belleville, ILMarch 16, 2015
Pros: working a split shift
Cons: only part time
Managing time and children is the big part of this job. You must be a rule follower and all about safety. You must be able to multitask dealing with children and driving a bus can sometimes get challenging but your have to focus and insure that everyone safely arrives to and from there destinations.
Fun but sometime hectic place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMarch 10, 2015
Pros: free food, lots of overtime
Cons: not flexible with scheduling
Can be very fun and funny place to work. While helping residents they end up helping you be a better person. The company offer little to no room for advancement. They dont like to be flexible with scheduling at all.
passengers great, insurance bad, not enough hours.
Passenger Transportation Provider (Current Employee), Parkville, MOMarch 10, 2015
Pros: taking care of the kids.
Cons: not enough hours, insurance not very good.
I loved transporting my passengers. I really loved being there for my kids making them feel safe and happy. I worked real hard on making sure every child was treated equally and with utmost respect.
nice place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYMarch 10, 2015
Pros: good pay
great working with children and never had any problems with employees management or anyone else for that matter and there were no difficulties in performing the job.
Not to bad...
Mechanic (Former Employee), Venetia, PAMarch 9, 2015
Pros: positive work environment, rewarded for doing good work a lot.
Cons: pay, health ins, retirement...
Busses always kept in decent shape with the little money we were aloud to put into them. I really enjoyed working for first student as a mechanic for the most part but the health insurance is expensive and not very good, especially for a family and the 401k program at my location was a joke, but I've heard it was better at other locations. I always enjoyed doing MY job, but hated being forced to do other peoples jobs like driving busses, cleaning out dirty busses (drivers responsibility), snow removal, lot maintenance, building maintenance, and whatever else they needed done that they were to cheap to call somebody in to do.
A great company focused on the safety of its employees and travelers.
School Bus Aide (Current Employee), Catskill, NYFebruary 26, 2015
A friendly work environment where everyone is willing to go above and beyond for one another. The hardest part of the job is attending to children with disabilities when they are having a "bad day". The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to spend time working with children.
idk
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 25, 2015
It is a good job for people who can wake up early, there are many clearances , but as long as you don't have a background then it is good.
decent company
School Bus Mechanic (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 25, 2015
Lots of knowledge and try their best to keep the school busses on the road to ensure safe transportation for students. During the spring they usuallly allow you to work as many hours as you like.
Good Company
Inside Sales/Charter Representative (Current Employee), Naperville, ILFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: safety, visibility
Cons: room to grow
Ethical in approach to daily work, safety is a priority. Co-workers are fun and supportive. best and hardest part is helping a customer with a dire transportation need.
Enjoyable work place with nice people to work with
Bus driver (Current Employee), Brockton, MAFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: time off, split shift
Cons: the health insurance, not getting paid for sick days or snow days
A typical day at work is making sure all goes as smooth as possible at the start of the day and most of the time it continues for the remainder of the day. It's always a learning experience because anything is possible that could happen on the bus. My co-workers are a pleasure to work with they make the job enjoyable if your having a hard day at work. The hardest part of the day would be the driving through the city watching out for other drives that aren't paying attention to the road.
Fun enivornment
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: healthcare
The company is ran by the union and it makes it hard to get the job done because so many of the employees try to abuse the union contract.
First Student
Employee (Current Employee), CAFebruary 11, 2015
Good place to work. Challenging but rewarding. Only draw back is that it is a contracted job. Transporting the children to and from school is a highlight of the day. Hectic work day while school is in but you do have time to catch up during the mid day while buses are not rolling.
very fun
driver (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2015
a typical day is fun and interesting meeting new children of all ages everyday, knowing there on there way to school. I learned how all people are different and its not as easy as it looks to drive a school bus but its something wonderful to learn. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the road and who's on it. The most enjoyable part of this job is being around children who look up to you.
Nice Work Place
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNJanuary 29, 2015
I learn How to deal with customer that was very upset. In the job fill I learned it's the tone of one's voice, having empathy and understanding for the customers
Long but good days
Shop Manager (Former Employee), Zachary, LAJanuary 26, 2015
Seems to be a great company. Very long days. Nice people in the company. A lot of paperwork.
This is a great place to work for anyone. Especially those whom are retired or parents with children.
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Washington, MOJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: i can bring my children if necessary.
Cons: healthcare and only part-time work
I drive 110 miles round trip each day and I enjoy the scenic drive. There is not much time spent with co-workers considering we all have different leave times. The hardest part of the job is driving in inclement weather and knowing I am responsible for such precious cargo. However, I love the students I drive for and I am the beginning and end of each one's day. I try to leave them with a positive outlook on their day.
Not a well liked place to work
STUDENT TRANSPORTATION (Former Employee), Benton Harbor, MIJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: pay not very good, benefits no good
Management is not in touch with the employees needs, not caring as to what's going on in the bus with the children, needs to take more of an intrest as to what the bus driver is telling them for the sake of the children

About First Student

As Canada's largest student transportation company, we’re committed to the safety of our passengers, employees and the buses – Read more