First Student

First Student United States Employee Reviews

Good Company
Inside Sales/Charter Representative (Current Employee), Naperville, ILFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: safety, visibility
Cons: room to grow
Ethical in approach to daily work, safety is a priority. Co-workers are fun and supportive. best and hardest part is helping a customer with a dire transportation need.
Enjoyable work place with nice people to work with
Bus driver (Current Employee), Brockton, MAFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: time off, split shift
Cons: the health insurance, not getting paid for sick days or snow days
A typical day at work is making sure all goes as smooth as possible at the start of the day and most of the time it continues for the remainder of the day. It's always a learning experience because anything is possible that could happen on the bus. My co-workers are a pleasure to work with they make the job enjoyable if your having a hard day at work. The hardest part of the day would be the driving through the city watching out for other drives that aren't paying attention to the road.
Fun enivornment
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: healthcare
The company is ran by the union and it makes it hard to get the job done because so many of the employees try to abuse the union contract.
First Student
Employee (Current Employee), CAFebruary 11, 2015
Good place to work. Challenging but rewarding. Only draw back is that it is a contracted job. Transporting the children to and from school is a highlight of the day. Hectic work day while school is in but you do have time to catch up during the mid day while buses are not rolling.
very fun
driver (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2015
a typical day is fun and interesting meeting new children of all ages everyday, knowing there on there way to school. I learned how all people are different and its not as easy as it looks to drive a school bus but its something wonderful to learn. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the road and who's on it. The most enjoyable part of this job is being around children who look up to you.
Nice Work Place
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNJanuary 29, 2015
I learn How to deal with customer that was very upset. In the job fill I learned it's the tone of one's voice, having empathy and understanding for the customers
Long but good days
Shop Manager (Former Employee), Zachary, LAJanuary 26, 2015
Seems to be a great company. Very long days. Nice people in the company. A lot of paperwork.
This is a great place to work for anyone. Especially those whom are retired or parents with children.
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Washington, MOJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: i can bring my children if necessary.
Cons: healthcare and only part-time work
I drive 110 miles round trip each day and I enjoy the scenic drive. There is not much time spent with co-workers considering we all have different leave times. The hardest part of the job is driving in inclement weather and knowing I am responsible for such precious cargo. However, I love the students I drive for and I am the beginning and end of each one's day. I try to leave them with a positive outlook on their day.
Not a well liked place to work
STUDENT TRANSPORTATION (Former Employee), Benton Harbor, MIJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: pay not very good, benefits no good
Management is not in touch with the employees needs, not caring as to what's going on in the bus with the children, needs to take more of an intrest as to what the bus driver is telling them for the sake of the children
Great work/ life balance
Student Bus Driver (Current Employee), Belleville, ILJanuary 22, 2015
Every day you check your bus then begin your route. You are exposed to the weather a lot almost like working outside. There is not much interaction with co workers or management. If you like kids and want a lot of free time during your day this is a great job.
Great Scheduling and Great Pay
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Corona, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: scheduling
Cons: no breaks and expensive healthcare plan
I enjoyed having a set route and fun co-workers. Management was acceptable but stressful. I learned to pre-trip and drive a 40 ft vehicle and to deal with young people. Hardest part of the job was maintaining cleanliness on the bus as kids would constantly leave trash. My favorite part was being able to work around my sons school schedule.
people oriented
STUDENT AID (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 21, 2015
I enjoyed being able directly help people and affect their lives.
Knowing that you had a good supervisor that would back you in what you did.
Attendant (Former Employee), Wichita, KSJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: enjoying the things that i had to do.
Cons: not able to have any kind of lunch.
Going to work and doing the things that needed to be done, and pursuing the things that needed to be done. As far as management was it was nice when they were gone because they were not supportive and did not back you. The co-workers were for the most part nice to work with. The hardest part was after a long day not knowing if I had a way home, since I did not have a care and the bus service did not run on Sundays and late and night, or started early in the mornings to get me to work and home. What I enjoyed about the job was able to visit with the residents, but before management was gone, I would not be able to do that or I would get into trouble.
Having Deadlines and Personal Challenges
Driver, Development and Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), Riverside, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: having potlucks with management and drivers
Working for First Student was challenging and enjoyable because of management and the drivers. Management was always encouraging and assisted when needed. Drivers were friendly and professional. First Student is a excellent employer.
Great place to work, staff is very supportive.
Driver (Current Employee), Wasilla, AKJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: long breaks, quite a bit of paid breaks depending on route.
Cons: benifits aren't the greatest and too many days off.
Wake up early stay late but you get a long lunch in the middle of the day to take care of things. you deal with kids so naturaly there are issues there but if you follow protocal things take care of them selves. Management will always support you as long as you follow proticol. both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job are the kids.
Decent pay, if you can get hours
Driver (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILJanuary 17, 2015
Extra hours went to those with seniority, so the decent rate of pay is basically offset by only getting around 5 hours a day.
Easy going company time based job.
Driver (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJanuary 13, 2015
It is a ok job besides the summer layoff's. I enjoyed working with the people there. I really enjoyed my job and working with the kids. The training was easy and they made it fun. If I was asked would I recommend I would say yes if you can handle not working year round.
stressful not any positive things
school bus monitor (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: we have a t.v. to watch
Cons: no health inc.
co-worker have bad attiudes don't know how to get along with each other.management works with you when you have any problems to get them taken care of in a timely matter there is very little to be positive about this work place. people want to talk bad about others
Nice place to work for
Safety Supervisor/Dispatcher, (Former Employee), Wilmington, ILJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: hours
Cons: off one month in summer
Liked the people I worked with.Enjoyed the type of work I did.
na
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Bristol, CTJanuary 6, 2015
Pick up Students, Drop them off, the most enjoyable part is working with children. The hardest part is when the kids don't listen or there anxious to get home and cant sit in there seats. Other than that I like what I do and enjoy it.

About First Student

As Canada's largest student transportation company, we’re committed to the safety of our passengers, employees and the buses – Read more

First Student Salaries