First Student Employee Reviews in United States

stay away
Driver (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJuly 27, 2016
Leave your brain at the gate. you are not allowed to think for yourself. you are treated as if you are 12. you are no more than a number on a page not a person. They will fire you for the slightest infraction. Rules change all the time. Buses are in poor repair, tires are close to tread bare. Just stay away.
Pros
Cons
Evil Empire
Getting to know the entire city by doing different runs each year.
School bus driver (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 31, 2015
Learning about the students lives. Co-workers who appreciate the profession, and in some cases watching the kids grow into adults.
Pros
Kids saying and doing the darndest things.
Cons
Not having benefits, and the schedule throughout the day ... split shifts(basically).
The job was laid back considering it was part-time.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day for me was getting to work and doing my per-trip check before leaving the bus lot making sure the bus is safe for the kids as well as myself returning in the evening doing my post-trip and picking my kids up from school retuning them to their stop or door. Depending on the day I may do a charter during or after school when other drivers were absent. I learned to be more patient with the little people (kids). Management was good when it came to communicating with the schools and the parents. My co-workers were ok I didn't do a lot of socializing with them. The hardest part of the job was getting my CDL license and the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know some of the students.
Pros
split shift
Cons
no benefits and unruley kids
It,s rewarding but challenging
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 15, 2016
I really like the people I work around.The pays decent if you can get enough hours.And theirs defiantly some favoritism. I,m pretty sure i,m not one of them.the most rewarding part of the job is when the kids all get along,the worse is when the kids don't get along. The ladies that work in dispatch I give them 2 thumbs up.
Pros
Pay
Cons
hours
Fast paced environment, customer client focused, and a fun place to work
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  City Industry, CAAugust 4, 2016
I am a hard worker, fast learner, very dependable and very customer client focused . I am a team player also can be a team leader always willing to help out my co-workers. Always on time too work if not always early.
Favoritism, Inc.
Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 6, 2015
Co workers are nothing more than junior high school students in adults bodies.

If you are friends with management or the dispatchers, you will get special treatment. Said friends of management get to wear basketball shorts, come in with sagging pants and female friends of management get to wear sweatpants and stretch pants which reveal everything. Also, they get their problems addressed right away, while other hard working drivers get their problems swept under the rug. They stress professionalism, but they do nothing to enforce it.

The aforementioned friends of management and dispatchers somehow miraculously are able to move up in the company while other drivers who are clearly more qualified are not able to advance. No room for advancement.

There are no benefits, so if you decide to work here, be prepared to get a second job.

This is a union job, but be prepared to be stabbed in the back by union. If you had to go speak with management with a union rep, you'd talk with said rep about your situation, and then after you left the rep would call management on their phone and tell them EVERYTHING you told him, so they knew how to take you apart. The union will also jack up your monthly dues without warning.

The head Safety officer is a serious Bible thumper and he goes around preaching and somehow manages to avoid getting in trouble (hence the aforementioned special treatment).

What have I learned while being employed here? How to keep my mouth shut, and do not trust anyone.

Do NOT work here unless you are bottom-of-the-line desperate for employment.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
High school mentality, favoritism, unprofessional bevaviour, co-workers, no healthcare, no room for advancement

Comment – November 14, 2015

11/20 will be my last day. Had enough of the favoritism. I got a new job with less an hour, but MORE hours and medical/dental coverage!

working for safety minded people, children awareness
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Dover Plains, NYJune 5, 2016
I have a regular run, I transport child from school grades K-12.
Also i'm involved with Sport Charter during and after school and weekends
Pros
good hrs, 3-4 hr open between run to use for either additional work or to make Dr appointments
Cons
not enough hours consintantly
First Student, Inc. is an acceptable place to work.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 24, 2016
First Student, Inc. is a good place to work, but is only temporary until I find a permanent or part-time job better suited to my previous education and work experience.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
School busses are used and not in the best of working condition
If you love kids, this is the place
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJanuary 7, 2016
A typical day starts really early so you had to make sure you got your sleep, safety and details are crucial to getting your bus up and running and during winter you freeze your butt off doing the morning check! But the kids, once everyone got used to each other, were actually really great (don't let them lie about the high-schoolers, they are the best!) like any group, you had your trouble makers, but if you managed to get them under your wing it was smooth sailing. The hardest part of the job was remembering not to become lax about your bus driving. You maybe good at driving, but that doesn't mean you can let your guard down around other drivers who may not be as good or paying as much attention. Driving a big bright yellow bus is a dangerous profession!
Pros
Kids, free gym!
Cons
Germs! Weather
great job for married couples, college students or retirees
School Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 18, 2016
The management was not the best they lack communication skills, if you like kids its a great job. Wouldn't recommend job to single parents with more than one child because there's no pay during summer, Christmas, and Spring breaks.
Pros
mid day breaks, decent pay
Cons
no summer pay
Not a great place to work for
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 13, 2016
This job was like working for a one stop shop you can get your food serviced, your hair and nails done, lashes and shop for clothes, if you like playing cards you could do that as well
Pros
the children were a blessing
Cons
like working for a one stop shop
Best bennifent of this job.
Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 21, 2016
This job is great if the employee and students in school because when the children are out of school you are off of work to be home with your family.
Pros
Being off during the summer
Cons
No bennifents for retirement, and driving in the snow and harsh weather.
Fun , enertaining place to work
School Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIMarch 30, 2016
its a good place to work if you enjoy working with children, and have great people skills. Co workers are helpful. Manager is serious about his job and takes it very serious.
Pros
school vacation, summer vacation, paid snow days, paid holidays
Cons
early starting hours
Not to bad...
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Venetia, PAMarch 9, 2015
Busses always kept in decent shape with the little money we were aloud to put into them. I really enjoyed working for first student as a mechanic for the most part but the health insurance is expensive and not very good, especially for a family and the 401k program at my location was a joke, but I've heard it was better at other locations. I always enjoyed doing MY job, but hated being forced to do other peoples jobs like driving busses, cleaning out dirty busses (drivers responsibility), snow removal, lot maintenance, building maintenance, and whatever else they needed done that they were to cheap to call somebody in to do.
Pros
positive work environment, rewarded for doing good work a lot.
Cons
pay, health ins, retirement...
If you can deal with favoritism, this is the place for you.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 22, 2014
Management does not care about their employees, they treat us like garbage. The Black drivers get their problems addressed right away while the white drivers get their problems/issues swept under the rug. There is a dress code, but the aforementioned black drivers get to wear baggy clothes/saggy sweatpants and when others follow suit, they get sent home to change. If you have to speak to the manager and speak to the union first, the stewards will call the manager on their cell, and tell them everything you just told them so you have to grin and bear it if you get reprimanded. No support from the "union" We had benefits, but ObamaCare took care of them.

Do NOT work here.
Pros
none.
Cons
favoritism, lack of help and support, two-faced union and management
Productive workplace
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 18, 2016
I enjoy my job, I look forward every morning to pick up my children, it's the most exciting job yet, to see the children smile on there face when I'm picking them up and dropping them off. I LOVE it...
Pros
A nice break
Cons
Healtcare excellent
Great job meet a lot of different people
manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln Park, NJJanuary 13, 2016
Steady work year round keep very busy and long hours 6am to 5pm some weekends a lot of travel
Started as a tech repairing school busses and support vehicles move up to a traveling tech repairing vehicles in different shops and then a area manager over seining other sops in NJ, PA ,DC ,VT, NH, ME until retiring
Good workplace
School Bus Monitor/Attendant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 3, 2015
It's been a great experience, but I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things. Overall it's a good place to work. My overall review on a scale from 1-10 would be a 7.
Pros
Great to work with the public
Cons
Lacks in pay, benefits, etc.
Nice Work place, Great people
Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 31, 2016
The company has undeniably improved since I became supervisor. Management has stated I would be an excellent candidate to move up in management but not with this company.
Pros
Off on Weekends
Cons
On Call hours after work, bad health benefits, no retirement.
Enjoyable place to work transporting mostly special needs children.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 12, 2015
Enjoyable place to work transporting mostly special needs children to and from school. I learned that patience is a virtue and a necessity when working with the public especially with the children. I had a great relationship with the parents, co-workers, and management and my experience working with Detroit Public Schools/First Student Transportation has helped me to grow personally as well as professionally. The hardest part of my job was adjusting to the cold weather and elements; however, I did not miss a day of work. No matter what the weather, I always looked forward to providing safe transportation for my passengers and interacting with them.

2.9