First Student Employee Reviews

tough & fast paced work place
Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, NYMay 20, 2017
Everyday was different pending what problems
Most important lesson was right or wrong people want to be heard
I did my best to make the workplace environment fun and interactive
hardest part was trying to get all the employees to grasp the importance of what customer service is
I loved getting positive feed back from parents, it's instant gratification
Pros
huge responsability; reponsability is secret to hapiness
Cons
"cookie cutter policies"
It's a job. I like the kids.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Dry Tavern, PAMay 19, 2017
Company is disrespectful to the drivers. Safety is a piece of paper that they need signed off on so they have proof they comply. When you have an issue with safety you get no action. Extra trips are to be done by seniority but only given to a favorite few. When you complain to management they say they didn't know. The only way to cope with management is to never talk to them.

I do enjoy the children and pay day.
Pros
children
Cons
management
A nice place to work
SAFETY TRAINER/ TRANSPORTATION OPERATOR/RECRUITING (Former Employee) –  Missouri City, TXMay 17, 2017
A great place to work overall, it could be much better if management was a bit more organized and complied with the company policies just as they expect the other employees to do so.
Great Place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 17, 2017
The flexibility of the work schedule was awesome. Time off during the summer and all holidays was great. Working with different backgrounds was also great.
Fun getting to aid the special needs children.
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, TXMay 16, 2017
Good learning environment that I was able to interact in with others. I loved the job very much before they moved out of the part of Texas I resided in.
Pros
Helping the special needs children
Cons
Moved away
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 16, 2017
I enjoy working at this company . Very friendly co workers. Great Supervisor. Dispatch has a great attitude. Easy NB routes and local and out of town trip opportunities
Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 15, 2017
I enjoy working for this company. The flexible schedule allows me to be able to handle important business without missing work. I was off every summer unless I chose to work.
Productive and fun place to work
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAMay 14, 2017
Really friendly environment good job guaranteed to have work and awesome training for drivers to advance but can be stressful and challenging but overall good place to work
Pros
Guaranteed work
Cons
Need better benefits for drivers full time and part time drivers
Work completed makes a happy and fun place
Supervisor / Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSMay 11, 2017
First Student is a very good place to work at. The site is well manage and the worker enjoy coming to work to perform there duties at high standards. Being able to work as a team things come easy and it keeps the place filled with nothing but good vibes.
productive and fun workplace.
para (Current Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSMay 9, 2017
Productive and fun workplace with great people, I enjoyed being able to help my student everyday get on and all the bus and making sure they were safe at all time
the job was fun i loved all my students.
School Bus Attendant (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 8, 2017
The job was overall good and working with the kids was a blat.I didn't like the hours but I did enjoy my time as an attendnt. because I worked with kids.
Mid average
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Zachary, LAMay 8, 2017
It's a great place to work, pay is not great but if you have other sources of income you will be ok. This is really considered a part time job because your only working 27.5 hours a week.
Enjoyed working with the students
Monitor (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, ILMay 7, 2017
Clock into work at 7:15am-9:30am, take a 3 & a half hour break. Check back in at 1:40pm-3:30pm. My job was to make sure the kids make it home safely.
Friendly people and fun
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 7, 2017
This job is easy on the driving side. When it comes to the children is hard to keep them seated but it's doable. You have to deal with crying children or fighting children. It's manageable with the help of supervisors and dispatch.
Don't believe those trying too fool you into working for 1st student.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 6, 2017
The company has the potential too be a great job, the kids are great and the driving is not bad. However the company messes with your paycheck all the time they will fight you for a few extra minutes of pay. Want too clean your bus have fun doing it for free the management will try to refuse paying you too do what needs too be done. Management are related too many of the drivers and so favoritism and what they call senority is big here. All the best routes, charters and afterhour routes and summer routes go to the family members and the senority, while the rest get stuck barely scraping by. Bus barn is a joke holes all over the place, mice run rampant wherever they please, leaking roof; everywhere in dozens of spots, trees growing out of the roof, Potential firehazards in many areas, Busses are falling apart. They screw up on your paychecks on a regular basis or will purposely refuse too pay you for legitimate reasons. When they do issue you a payment on your missing money be prepared to wait several months as well and the union hall doesn't help.
Pros
Great kids, and they pay for your CDL
Cons
Nonpaid training, hours terrible, make less than wal-mart, Terrible management.
Challenging
Employee (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 6, 2017
The job was acceptable until management change. Hardest part of the job was getting the management to help with the safety orientation. A typical work day with the expected workload was about 12 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships that were gained with the other employees.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Lack of communication in upper management.
Notgood
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 6, 2017
Bad bad for you to work with good work experience management not very good to work with good luck guys almost here yet but I am wondering what is your bottom dollar
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
kids
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Ellington, CTMay 5, 2017
went in to work would first pre trip and start the bus, then i would pickup kids and bring them to and from school, hardest part was dealing with a bus load of kids. management was nice
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHMay 5, 2017
Competitive pay, good benifits, can bring your kids, paid training, great place to work if going to higher education. Wonderful place to make friends.
Challenging but rewarding
LOCATION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 3, 2017
The company allows the Location Manager to run the business as if it were their own, following the guidelines that the company has set. Location Manager is truly in charge of their business
Pros
Freedom to run your business
Cons
Challenging customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Student. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9