First Student

First Student Employee Reviews

Has to be really something you enjoy.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CASeptember 22, 2014
A day as a bus driver is very monotonous. There aren't enough hours made available to work for the hourly wage to benefit your time.
There is a lot of free time in the middle of your day during school hours that you can get things done. At the location I worked at the management was questionable as to whether they actually knew their jobs, but were nice enough people that most looked past their failings as leaders in the company. The medical benefits are the best there are to be had in the area and that makes up for the lack of hours in the job.
Nice place to work with team effort
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 17, 2012
typical day at work would be picking up the high school kids at 6:53am dropping them off to school by 7:20am then off to the elementary school. in the afternoon start at 2:00pm for the high school then off to the middle school and then last the elementary school. i learned how to drive a school bus and obtained my class b cdl license. my co-workers are all very pleasant to work with and everyone helps when in a crunch. the hardest part of the job is having the responsability of 60 plus students. the most enjoyable part of the job is getting the students to and from school safely.
dead end job
school bus driver (Current Employee) –  cologne new jerseyFebruary 21, 2012
when i first stared working for this job it was a friendly invironment were you knew that if you worked you would get payed for what your work is worth i got to meet a lot of good people but now 6 years into it it has changed in a very negative way between a 40 work cap no use of a real time clock and a union that doesn't help when you have problems i must move on
Pros
youll have a job as long as kids have school
Cons
un affordable health
Overall Great place to work
Payroll/HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 6, 2016
A typical work day included payroll and HR functions for over 600 employees. During my tenure with First Student I went from a payroll assistant to AP/AR to Office adminstrator for the maintenance dept to the Payroll/HR Manager in the 9 years that I worked for the company. My managment team was overall very knowledge. I learned a lot during my 9 years from the managers that were there. The hardest part of my job was sometimes working with not enough staff for all the tasks to be performed. The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with the staff and coworkers. The experience and knowledge has been very rewarding.
cool place to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 24, 2014
I have been with this company off and on for 10 years.
I have high school students that I pick up every day and this is my second year driving this route. The kids really wanted me back this year and the Director of Transportation recommended me to drive this route again because I have had no problems with the kids. I also pick up another school which gives me some problems because they are always getting in trouble at school so before they get on the bus they are doing push-ups and they make me late in getting to my other school
Pros
summer and vacations off
benefits
Fun environment which you can interact with the staff as well as the students.
Monitor (Former Employee) –  Maywood, ILAugust 6, 2015
First Student is a good company. They provide great hours that can accommodate your daily life activities. The only downside to this is that scheduling and jobs available are based on seniority bases only. Meaning those who have been there longer have first pick at their schedule and have a greater chance of keeping their job; versus the staff who have not been there as long, there may not be a position available for them when the work bench is full.
Pros
Flexible scheduling that can accommodate daily life activities
Cons
Scheduling and jobs are available based on seniority only.
First student is a wonderful job.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 31, 2015
A typical day of work is when you come to work at 6 a.m and get off at 8:30 a.m. Then come back to work at 1:30 p.m and get off at 4:30 p.m. You have to learn how to keep the kids on your bus safe and drive safe on the road. Management have your full support, they will help you if you need help. The co-workers their are wonderful. They take up a collection every month for other people in need, including the people that work their. The hardest part of the job is running your route on time.
Stressful made worse by clickish, bullying bad management
driver (Former Employee) –  nyDecember 11, 2014
All management culture is based on pure bullying of people who's lives are hard enough as it is. The management just yells and screams and is also very good at passive agresive bulling. They feel the drivers need to be handled in that way unless you have been there forever.
The absolute worst place I have ever worked. Completely takes yuor focus off of what you are supposed to be doing and what really is important... The Kids Safety...
I enjoy driving kids to school.
School Bus Driver Windsor and Hanover (Former Employee) –  Hartford, VTMay 3, 2014
A route driver. I pick kids up in the morning and take them home after school.

I particularly enjoy the kindergarden run.

The work is independent for the most part, but it is necessary to cooperate with other drivers. I work with good and caring people.

Much emphasis is placed on safety. The extra training in this area is helpful.

It is sometimes difficult to get the bus maintained adequately.

The hardest part of the job is starting the bus in the cold weather,early in the morning.
Pros
independent work
Cons
low income due to part-time status. not enough work.
Not a very good company
Dispatcher/Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2014
The management hired family and friends who didn't know their position, which caused the company to loose their contract, 300 drivers without jobs.Then in the summer forced people to come in and wrk two hour trips, with no promise of good work and told employees that they had to be available for them everyday. So we were unable to get another job because we had to be available when they called and if we refused they threaten to mess with your unemployment, which they did.
Cons
healthcare, management, safety
Very stressful and catty workplace amongst staff
Assistant Validations Manager (Former Employee) –  DORCHESTER, MAJune 28, 2013
Working for this company i realized that you couldn't trust your co-workers because they all where plotting and throwing each other under the bus to cover their own behind. There was a lack of managerial support within the yards and human resource director failed to do a thorough investigation regarding claims or accusations of all employees.
Pros
you gain experience working for a transportation company
Cons
alot so many not enough room to type all.
productive
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Rochelle Park, NJSeptember 21, 2014
My typical day at work would be working on buses weather it be electrical or preventive maintenance. I learned how to trouble shoot problems and deal with major electrical issues. Management is fair going. My co-workers are great to work with always helpful.The hardest part of the job i would say would be doing king-pins on big buses and injectors on small buses. The most enjoyable part of the job is working on school buses that bring children to school and home safely everyday.
Pros
one hr lunch break
Cons
benefits, no overtime
Over all good place to work.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Youngsville, NYApril 7, 2013
I do lot man work, making sure buses are and running, then I do morning highschool and special needs route and after noon highschool route.
I learned how to deal with needs of special children.
First Student supplies excellent training for thier drivers.
I work with a group of profesional drivers.
The hardest part of the job is listening to students telling you about their troubles at home and not being able to do much about it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the kids.
Pros
enjoyable job
Cons
no healthcare
a learning,skillful and enjoyable workplace.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYMay 7, 2012
a typical day at work was doing the driving but although i drove the same route everyday i learned different challenges everyday,my co workers was friendly at all times and respectful,management was great they always thank you for your good hard work and let you know your doing a good job,the hardest part of my job happens to been the best part of my job and that was safely and properly getting the children to and from school,and the most enjoyable part of my job is when i return back to the yard after a job well done.
fun enviroment, friendly employees, and reliable transportation company
driver (Current Employee) –  maywood ILAugust 31, 2015
a typical day at work involves: pre-tripping my bus before I head out on the road, and getting to all my destinations in an orderly fashion.

I've learned the while transporting children, it gives you a different sense of driving. my main goal is to return the children home to their parents as safely as possible.

the hardest part of the job is the unknown, you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times.
Pros
good company
Cons
part time
Great experience working with children
Driver (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILAugust 5, 2015
Driving a bus was very much about routine. Each day I did my pre check of the bus, picked up students, dropped them off, took a four hour break, picked up students, dropped them off, and did my post check of the bus. The experience of driving was nice, as it honed my skills on the road like never before. And I love working with children, so keeping them safe on the road made the job very fulfilling. The pay was good, though the hours were set and it was difficult to get more. All in all I enjoyed the work.
Pros
Good pay, working with children, set part time hours
Great place to work, staff is very supportive.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Wasilla, AKJanuary 19, 2015
Wake up early stay late but you get a long lunch in the middle of the day to take care of things. you deal with kids so naturaly there are issues there but if you follow protocal things take care of them selves. Management will always support you as long as you follow proticol. both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job are the kids.
Pros
long breaks, quite a bit of paid breaks depending on route.
Cons
benifits aren't the greatest and too many days off.
not a great place to work
bus driver (Current Employee) –  Lawnside, NJAugust 28, 2013
That is the most unprofessional place of business. They treat their employees with no respect and don't want to pay us what we're worth as experienced drivers. They currently don't want to give us a raise. We get maybe like 2 days off (paid) and 1 paid holiday per year...and that's for someone with 10 yrs under their belt. There's so much more to be told.
Pros
good pay for inexperienced people
Cons
mess up checks and don't pay what drivers are worth
It Is okay. They don't pay for holiday's, nor do they offer full time work.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  9234-A Joor Rd Central, LA 70818January 2, 2015
Driving the bus is exciting to me. You must have patient and love children. You get to learn the streets very well. We have somewhat of a good management team. My co-workers are awesome people to work with. The hardest part of the job is when you have to drive in severe threatening weather. The most enjoyable part about driving the bus is, getting to know the kids you drive everyday, and building a relationship with each of them.
Busing students to and from schools
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAMay 2, 2013
A typical day for a bus driver is being on time for each bus stop. Managing time and safety is top priority. Driving a bus doesn't require alot of interaction with coworkers, for example: a child is not at a stop the dispatcher is contacted so another driver can pick up the child. The hardest part of the job is keeping eyes on the road by many distractions by children. The most enjoyable part of my day is knowing that I am responsible for getting children to and from school safely.
Pros
free lunches.
Cons
short breaks.